Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is that implying the sardines are tapwater-level acidic? Because that's what it looks like to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I never liked Tabasco much but the Tabasco brand Sriracha is really good imo, i like it better than the regular hot cock sauce.

If you like Sriracha please try Tabasco Sriracha tia

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

Is that implying the sardines are tapwater-level acidic? Because that's what it looks like to me

nah, you can see the tap water didn't change the color of the ph strip, the dine meat made it more red

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kroger-brand boneless/skinless (coward's) sardines were on sale for 2/$3- lately, those (or Reece brand) are the best sardines available in regular grocery stores, outside places like World Market or European/East Asian import groceries

reporting that they make an incredibly good substitution for tuna in almost anything that calls for tuna- and in a sort of cheesy tuna pasta, the generic-brand sardine meat sort of dissolves into tiny mostly imperceptible bits

next experiment, for a later dinner, which I am expecting, to be just awful:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Peanut Butler posted:

Kroger-brand boneless/skinless (coward's) sardines were on sale for 2/$3- lately, those (or Reece brand) are the best sardines available in regular grocery stores, outside places like World Market or European/East Asian import groceries

reporting that they make an incredibly good substitution for tuna in almost anything that calls for tuna- and in a sort of cheesy tuna pasta, the generic-brand sardine meat sort of dissolves into tiny mostly imperceptible bits

:gonk::stonk::stonklol:

Also dines in soybean oil are best drained and used as an ingredient in something else, or fed to an enemy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Peanut Butler posted:

You better call this the Sloppy Jonah.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I’ve yet to find a pizza place near me that offers sardines as a topping. Is it just a meme?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

no_tears posted:

I’ve yet to find a pizza place near me that offers sardines as a topping. Is it just a meme?
It never was. You're thinking of anchovies.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cat Hassler posted:

:gonk::stonk::stonklol:

Also dines in soybean oil are best drained and used as an ingredient in something else, or fed to an enemy

I used em undrained in place of butter, with milk/shredded cheese making it into a kind of skanky mornay, thickened with whey solids and seasoned with salt and a bit of tony chachere's

added steamed broccoli as it was thickening, let that heat up on low heat for a few minutes- delicious

Android Apocalypse posted:

You better call this the Sloppy Jonah.

that is a much better name than 'the worst food idea i've had lately'

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Anchovies is a classic pizza topping they may offer on or off the menu.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

abby's, the oregon pizza chain, offers smoked oysters as a topping which is worth a try if you don't go in with the highest expectations for either the pizza or the suitability of smoked oyesters as a pizza topping

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Elea posted:

Anchovies is a classic pizza topping they may offer on or off the menu.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Be aware that a lot of pizza places that have anchovies have incredibly bad anchovies. 90% of the time you're going to end up with something that tastes nothing like fish and everything like pure salt.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's why you have to carry pocket anchovies

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pocket anchoives are like vegetarian beans. they are just regular anchovies

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
How do you know I have anchovies in my pocket? Don't worry I'll tell you

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I met an old dude at my neighborhood bar and one time we got talking about dines. Next time I saw him he goes “Oh I got somethin’ for you partner” and pulls a tin of Orleans dines from his jacket pocket

One time I’d just picked up a tin of Belas from the corner store and told him to try Belas or Matiz and he goes “Aww, the hell with that. King Oscars!”

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

theodore roosevelt survived an assassination attempt because the tin of anchovies he kept in his coat pocket impeded the bullet. he is reported to have finished delivering the speech he was delivering prior to being shot and also to have eaten part of the bullet pierced tin of anchovies on the carriage ride to the hospital and, upon arriving at he hospital, to have given the last of the anchovies to a racoon he used as a personnel messenger

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
and that racoon's name was Albert Einstein

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ko kippers with a splash of balsamic vinegar was a k.o.

it really knocked my tastebuds out of the park

it made my stomach roar like a lion

it was very good

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe
Rock over London, rock on Chicago

King Oscar - just eat the dang bones

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

King Oscar's dine navy is the only thing keeping me sane during this diet. Thank you, sire.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Had lunch today with this:

As well as some crackers and some dried apricot

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 24, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

$2 off King Oscar tuna? Don't mind if I do

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
Chiming in to say that cleaing sardines for sushi is maybe one of my least favorite tasks I've ever been paid to do

Their skeleton is what I'd imagine a child would produce if you told them to put bones where they thought the fish needed them

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

rockinsaki posted:

Their skeleton is what I'd imagine a child would produce if you told them to put bones where they thought the fish needed them

lol

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Any ideas for a reasonably fancy looking app using the KO jalapeno yellowfin tuna? Its kind of hard to google ideas since tuna keeps either sending me to seared ahi or chicken of the sea based ideas. The rest of the menu is vaguely Mediterranean mostly north African if that makes any difference (it doesn't to me but would be cool I guess).

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah my wife has a Mediterranean dish that she did a while back, I can check. It's, IIRC,

Tuna
Canellini beans
Lemon juice and or zest
chopped parsley
I think some red onion
S&P
Good olive oil

You have this over chunks of toasted baguette

Edit: This might not be fancy enough but it's pretty and colorful :unsmith:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 27, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That does sound good, I like the white beans especially. I could even do it in endive cups since I'm serving fresh pita with dinner so everyone's not all breaded out.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Gonna try that recipe with these giant beans

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

What's going on 'dine thread. Today I was in Lisbon, and I was able to visit the Comur Sardine Museum. It is a shrine to the Portuguese sardine, and although it was too dark today for me to get good photos of the store itself..

I did score a few interesting items...

Such as some spicy sardines and some red pepper sardines...

And a couple tins of '1978' sardines. They were not tinned in 1978, this company just prints years on them so people can buy sardines to commemorate their birth year, and the sardine-lovinest dude I know was born in 1978...

And some tinned codfish. Cod is a Portuguese staple and it was only fitting that I pick some up...

And finally a tin of sardines that resemble a gold bar. Are they different than other Comur sardines? Almost certainly not. I guess I'll find out one day, when I experience an occasion momentous enough to warrant opening them.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Man those are beautiful

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if i were a sardine i would consider it an honor to be entombed in one of those tins

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
God I loved Lisboa. That's just one of the sardine museums, and there was a conserva joint dedicated to tinned fish like every block

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have no intention of buying the kit, but I may have to get a copy of the sticker sheet

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/fire-brigade-60321?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUS-oSv/vWYkQIY-2014326-115554-60321

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Happy Easter, goons. Now that Lent is over I can get back to my regular nutrition plan: eating whatever I want.

Got some jarred crab meat that I meant to cook a long time ago. Might as well use it in my weekend's brunch.

Shakshouka is my weekend meal of choice, and the crab meat addition added a nice level of protein. That said, I think I prefer regular prepackaged tuna in this dish. I'm

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Happy Easter, goons. Now that Lent is over I can get back to my regular nutrition plan: eating whatever I want.

Got some jarred crab meat that I meant to cook a long time ago. Might as well use it in my weekend's brunch.

Shakshouka is my weekend meal of choice, and the crab meat addition added a nice level of protein. That said, I think I prefer regular prepackaged tuna in this dish. I'm

This looks so goddamn good.

I just got an ad on Instagram for King Oscar. The algorithm has finally find my true self.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

trader joe's mackerel is good. can's big enough to constitute 2 servings. fish is clean, solid, meaty, all around pretty satisfying. the sunflower oil or whatever it was preserved in didn't really do it for me, but I guess it keeps the costs down.

the mayonnaise, caper, red onion and lemon juice relish I had with it was also good

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

trader joe's mackerel is good. can's big enough to constitute 2 servings. fish is clean, solid, meaty, all around pretty satisfying. the sunflower oil or whatever it was preserved in didn't really do it for me, but I guess it keeps the costs down.

the mayonnaise, caper, red onion and lemon juice relish I had with it was also good

I’ve never been disappointed by TJ’s tinned seafood. Their smoked trout is very good (as is the mackerel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Did someone say indian pickle??

My mother in law may hate my guts but she at least delivers the goods. I think can of seasons with some chili pickle with a gooseberry pickle back is in order for lunch.