Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Where's the anime at this point anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

Where's the anime at this point anyway?

Season 5 ended after adapting the My Villain Academia arc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But it adapted the Endeavor arc before that, so we're basically right before the big assault on the Paranormal League.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think the anime should be after the part where Deku fights the guy that kidnapped Natsuo, since that was moved before MVA for some bizarre reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think season 6 is going to entirely be the Paranormal Liberation War.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did the anime at least end on "on that day all the heroes vanished"? Cause that's like the perfect cliffhanger spot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the anime at least end on "on that day all the heroes vanished"? Cause that's like the perfect cliffhanger spot.

I don’t think so but it’s been a while since I watched the most recent season

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I stopped near the end of the class fight because of how poorly they were handling the season. Then moving the endeavor stuff around, combined with reaching about the low quality of the villain arc just put me off the anime entirely.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I stopped near the end of the class fight because of how poorly they were handling the season. Then moving the endeavor stuff around, combined with reaching about the low quality of the villain arc just put me off the anime entirely.

Same, although I finished watching the villain arc, just out of inertia. It's kinda wild, My Hero Academia went from one of the best shonen anime adaptations to being worse than One Piece anime in span of a single season. (or season and half, 4th season had a lot of rough spots too)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a character that could possibly defeat - even TOUCH Shigaraki Tomura? Keep in mind I’m talking about Shigaraki Tomura with All For One, infinite regeneration, magic hands, his own personal headmate, and the world’s deadliest high-fives.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there a character that could possibly defeat - even TOUCH Shigaraki Tomura? Keep in mind I’m talking about Shigaraki Tomura with All For One, infinite regeneration, magic hands, his own personal headmate, and the world’s deadliest high-fives.

Shigiraki will be defeated when he's told "down low" only to find out he's "too slow"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Crawler

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't get over how Star and Stripe still feels mostly pointless in terms of impact. Shiggy doesn't even feel particularly nerfed from the Quirk poisoning or whatever she did before she died. I guess her fight led to the current state of things, but still.

What a bizarre character. It's like she was introduced to weaken Shigaraki, only for the apparent weakness inflicted to not really be shown or have any impact.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lt. Lizard posted:

Same, although I finished watching the villain arc, just out of inertia. It's kinda wild, My Hero Academia went from one of the best shonen anime adaptations to being worse than One Piece anime in span of a single season. (or season and half, 4th season had a lot of rough spots too)

They realized they could make far more money with non-canon movies than a good anime so the anime stopped mattering. It's a sad state of affairs, but also it's not like there was a lot of good left to adapt anyways.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Deku will beat him with the power of forgiveness and he'll be the coolest guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't get over how Star and Stripe still feels mostly pointless in terms of impact. Shiggy doesn't even feel particularly nerfed from the Quirk poisoning or whatever she did before she died. I guess her fight led to the current state of things, but still.

What a bizarre character. It's like she was introduced to weaken Shigaraki, only for the apparent weakness inflicted to not really be shown or have any impact.
Her jobs were 1)to reduce him to decay and his weird modified body poo poo and whatever quirks Hori thinks might not allow him to just effortlessly win. And 2) give a reason that the rest of the world isn't stepping in to help a G8 country being destroyed by a small army.

The second is kinda necessary imo. There are better ways to do it probably but it's a contemporary setting where the rest of the world clearly exists still. It really would be weird if the rest of the world was just like "man that's hosed up. Good luck" as Shigaraki sinks Japan into the ocean.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

TBH I think he just wanted to draw her and couldn't figure out another way to work her into the story.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kingtheninja posted:

The baffling thing is MVA should be such an easy slam dunk. Just replace the opening and ending with appropriate villain versions (which the Manga did), use the villains for voiceovers etc. literally treat it as a hostile change of the show to about Shigaraki and his friends instead of Izuku and his friends.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc there were indications, with stuff like animators posting completely different storyboards and prelim animations compared to the final product on Twitter + a few Star comments, that MVA was heavily censored or otherwise hosed with by people above the animation team.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goku

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

The Crawler

If Koichi could project a constant overshield which prevents Shigaraki from actually touching him it could definitely work

deus ex side character do it horikoshi

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Blaze Dragon posted:

They realized they could make far more money with non-canon movies than a good anime so the anime stopped mattering. It's a sad state of affairs, but also it's not like there was a lot of good left to adapt anyways.

I suspect this is why Horoikoshi wants to just end it, he's probably sick of how his story's been abused too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc there were indications, with stuff like animators posting completely different storyboards and prelim animations compared to the final product on Twitter + a few Star comments, that MVA was heavily censored or otherwise hosed with by people above the animation team.

Yeah I remember seeing someone on Twitter posting their work for toga's scene (shifting to uraraka) and comparing it to what we got and it was like night and day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The third movie was better than the fifth season to be fair but yeah, pretty much

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
MVA was one of the most important arcs in the whole series and they just dumpstered it

I think the freaking beach episode was the most watched episode of the season

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

MVA was one of the most important arcs in the whole series and they just dumpstered it

I think the freaking beach episode was the most watched episode of the season

I knew it was coming for a while and I still was disappointed by the dumpstering that happened, because MVA is basically the other half of whatever thesis statement about society is being made. The fact that the villains have a better power of friendship moment than the heroes ever had is an incredibly cool idea.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The climactic cut of Shigaraki dusting the city was really good, even if they flubbed everything else.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I remember seeing someone on Twitter posting their work for toga's scene (shifting to uraraka) and comparing it to what we got and it was like night and day.

was it this one?

https://twitter.com/Sparkleredpanda/status/1431584323476590593

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Shere posted:

The climactic cut of Shigaraki dusting the city was really good, even if they flubbed everything else.

Was it? I remember an overly well animated scene of Redestro flying through the sky, but the actual destruction was just standard dust clouds.

edit: rewatched it. Some of the buildings cracking were alright too but then they interrupt it with Machia standing motionless and such.

oh jay fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 10, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah that's the one!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The punch manga must escalate. Deku's final quirk will be something that's like ki but not entirely fully ki. The Shigaraki fight will be concluded with a Kamehameha that kills his and AFO's souls, leaving a harmless vegetable Shigaraki behind.

Deku will grow up to be a cop and name his son after Shigaraki and Hawks, nothing about society will be improved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RareAcumen posted:

The punch manga must escalate. Deku's final quirk will be something that's like ki but not entirely fully ki. The Shigaraki fight will be concluded with a Kamehameha that kills his and AFO's souls, leaving a harmless vegetable Shigaraki behind.

Deku will grow up to be a cop and name his son after Shigaraki and Hawks, nothing about society will be improved.
"Tomura Chisaki Midoriya, you were named after two of the bravest men I ever knew."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Deku's last quirk lets him amplify another person's quirk, used in tandem with the boost from one for all, he supercharges Eri's quirk and rewinds the world itself back to when young shigraki's quirk was about to activate. Deku saves him and changes the timeline.

Back in the present, All Might and his successor, the New Symbol of Peace Tenko Shimura help class 1-A take down All for One.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sounds good, print it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Mineta doesn't exist in this new timeline. This is never addressed.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lord_Magmar posted:

I knew it was coming for a while and I still was disappointed by the dumpstering that happened, because MVA is basically the other half of whatever thesis statement about society is being made. The fact that the villains have a better power of friendship moment than the heroes ever had is an incredibly cool idea.

yeah exactly, it's the chunk of the story that gives the entire rest of the story a backbone, makes half the villains matter at all, and is maybe the best part of the comic overall? heard a bunch of people say it got shuffled for the movie and generally done dirty and just never got to it bc of how rough getting through the class training arc again was already lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are some shonen arcs that fare better when you can read them all at once.

I read most of joint training all at once and it's not fuckin one of those, lol. It's just a bad arc.

It was even miserable with anime pacing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Joint training was truly the arc I think most people realized that the majority of the side characters were going nowhere, and Horikoshi really didnt know what to do with the school setting with regards to the plot.

Happy page 1337

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Joint Training showed that somehow Horikoshi had never read a manga with multiple 1v1 fights happening simultaneously before because there's no way in hell anybody who had written one of those once would do 5 of them in a row

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Deku's final quirk will be Conqueror's Haki to firmly cement the decent into schlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Deku's final quirk will be Conqueror's Haki to firmly cement the decent into schlock

It will be something that shares his power with everyone, and then, as, uh, idk, tail guy gets the last hit in on All for One, we will truly know that everyone became the greatest hero