Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i managed to get back to a service bay with 1% health before going to the exit. i had a heap of fun playing this but its probably good it isnt any longer, i remember the sequel kind of sucked since it was more mission based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

5 loving feet from the repair shop lol

trying to jack off posted:

i just delivered a coffin to the cemetery and the person that received it said thank you, i'm starving

also got a screenshot of this. This game rules

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thank you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i remembered quarantine 1 and 2 after looking at screenshot because i think of them as "the taxi games ". thanks. they were pretty cool 40 years ago in the 1850s iir c

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
I'll hopefully get around to this soon, I tried playing in browser and it was awful

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

I'll hopefully get around to this soon, I tried playing in browser and it was awful

i gave the browser emulator a try out of curiosity when i started and it had all this weird rear end input lag, just absolutely awful

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

yeah the browser version is impossible to play, between input lag and the game running way too fast w/default "max cycles" setting in DOSBox. definitely worth downloading DOSBox and running it locally w/cycles capped between 8000-9000. i also used AntiMicroX to play with a controller cuz i don't play PC games much and couldn't get used to the keyboard controls.

it's janky and difficult to control no matter how you play it, but it's a fun game for sure once you dig into it for a bit.

oh also:

tmfc posted:

trophies

hoping to be able to finish it this weekend. imp zone game club owns

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

you can find reviews calling it a doom clone lol

remembered this just now lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Got past level 3 finally:

"finally" because I had to retry the blowing up an office building mission like 8 or 9 times even though (DSP voice:) I was definitely doing it right and I have no idea why it wasn't working until I guess the game randomly decided I had done it correctly

Driving physics are still very weird and the framerate/controls seem to be getting less consistent in the later stages, but I love just about everything else about this game. definitely going to finish it before Tuesday

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

Got past level 3 finally:

"finally" because I had to retry the blowing up an office building mission like 8 or 9 times even though (DSP voice:) I was definitely doing it right and I have no idea why it wasn't working until I guess the game randomly decided I had done it correctly

Driving physics are still very weird and the framerate/controls seem to be getting less consistent in the later stages, but I love just about everything else about this game. definitely going to finish it before Tuesday

i had to up the cycles for later stages, this game was definitely setting computers of the era on fire

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

also i had troubles with that same mission, had to get into one exact position and launch it at the correct pixel. fortunately none of the other similar missions after are that finicky

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
:siren: Special Edition Imp Zone Game Club Game :siren:

Tokimeki Memorial: Densetsu no Ki no Shita de - 1996 - Deadline 4/15/22 11:59PM EST

Giving this one a month because there are so many endings plus it's a bit of a longer game especially on first playthrough (around 9-10 hours I suspect), plus people are still playing Elden Ring and other games and I want a lot of people to be able to play this one.

Tokimeki Memorial is a dating sim game in which the player controls a male freshman from Kirameki High School. The game is particularly notable for its "bomb" feature, where neglected, infrequently-dated girls would eventually become angry and gossip to their friends, severely reducing love meters across the board. In the middle of the game, when the number of known girls is high, these "bombs" became the primary concern of the player, forcing careful planning and strategies like round-robin dating. Although the feature was still present in the later games, these games considerably reduced its importance and the difficulty in avoiding it.

Players pick options as responses when promoted by the characters in the game

Writer Koji Igarashi says when he was tasked with writing the story for the game, he got assistance from his girlfriend at the time who would later become his wife. She gave him advice on how to write the story to the game, while he would play Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, the game she was working at the time. Igarashi requested to not work on a sequel to the game, and instead was allowed to request to work on the next Castlevania game instead.

The goal of the developers was to hearken back to high school days. Konami director Akihiko Nagata said "the person who created the game wanted to have experiences like this back in his high school days"

Classic 90s Konami Soundtrack included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO660gMjUBw

This game has been one of the holy grails for translations we never got over here. Yes, it is the SNES version (which isn't ideal compared to the PSX version) but there have been a ton of modifications including voices for certain parts, and animated endings. Plus the infamously bad background scrolling has been fixed. More info found here: https://www.translated.games/snes/heartthrob

Playing the game:

The game can be found here https://cdromance.com/snes-rom/tokimeki-memorial-densetsu-no-ki-no-shita-de-jpn/ where this link also includes the patch applied, however I recommend downloading the JPN version and then getting the full files from https://www.translated.games/snes/heartthrob which includes the animations and voices. I was able to test this with SNES9x and as long as you rename the rom and patch to the same name, it will work if its just in the same folder, no need for manual IPS patching.

Special Shoutouts to Sub-Actuality for the following animated gifs of the girls, as well as creating all the badges for this special 1 month IZGC pick.

Profiles:

Shiori Fujisaki

She is the primary protagonist of Tokimeki Memorial, and the main character's best friend from childhood. Over the years, your relationship has slowly started to drift apart, but you two are still friends. However, in order to make the next leap you must become closer to Shiori.

Shiori is loved by all the guys in Kirameki High. She's beautiful, smart, kind, and good at everything from academics to sports; there's very little Shiori can't do.

Mio Kisaragi

Mio is a gentle and polite girl who has a weak body, and as such she's not good with sports. She always has her nose in a book, and her favorite author is Goethe. Her best friend is Saki Nijino.

Yuina Himoo

Yuina is a technophile who one day hopes to rule the world through the use of giant robots. She likes to bully Kyoko Izumi around, but her true archnemesis is the dreaded KOALA.

Ayako Katagiri

She is very interested in the arts, primarily visual arts. She admires the work of "R. H. Gergi" (a reference to H.R. Giger) and loves to pepper her sentences with seemingly random English phrases.

Saki Nijino

Saki is a big fan of baseball and soccer, and even serves as the manager of the soccer team at Kirameki High

Yukari Koshiki

Yukari is a well-mannered traditional Japanese girl. She enjoys knitting as a hobby, and has the habit of speaking extremely slowly and spacing out. Her father is overly protective of her.

Nozomi Kiyokawa

Nozomi is a very tomboyish girl who loves swimming. However, she also enjoys more girly pleasures like flowers and ribbons, but is usually too embarrassed to show her feminine side.

Mira Kagami

Mira is the beautiful ice queen of Kirameki Private High School, complete with her own fan club of lackeys following her around.

Yuko Asahina

Yuko can always be counted on to be on top of the latest gossip and trends. However, she can't be counted on to be on time for class. She is very good at winning UFO catcher prizes.

Megumi Mikihara

Megumi is Shiori's best friend, and is a shy girl who is afraid to speak to boys. She has a soft spot for animals, and has a pet Yorkshire Terrier named Muku.

Yumi Saotome

Yumi is the younger sister of Yoshio, and will answer the phone before him many times when you call for information. She is one year younger than the protagonist, and will enter Kirameki Private High School during the game's second year. Yumi dislikes being called and treated like a child.

Miharu Tatebayashi

A loving stalker

Rei Ijuin

Rei is the kind of guy that girls fall over themselves to worship due to his looks, power (his grandfather is chairman of Kirameki Private High School), and money. He comes complete with a fan club, thus, all the male students of Kirameki despise him, including Yoshio Saotome. Rei's butler is Yukinojou Sotoi.
His hobby is collecting jewelry.

Badges

: Ending with Shiori Fujisaki

: Ending with Mio Kisaragi

: Ending with Yuina Himoo

: Ending with Ayako Katagiri

: Ending with Saki Nijino

: Ending with Yukari Koshiki

: Ending with Nozomi Kiyokawa

: Ending with Mira Kagami

: Ending with Yuko Asahina

: Ending with Megumi Mikihara

: Ending with Yumi Saotome

: Ending with Miharu Tatebayashi

: Ending with Rei Ijuin

: Kissless, Hugless, Hand-Holdless Virgin for Life

Required Viewing on why this game is important and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-DtICmPTY

Game starts on 3/16/22 at 12AM EST - Posting this early to give people time to download the game and patches and test it, and also because I'm going to be busy most of next week and going on vacation shortly after so hopefully I will have time to get one or two badges in before the end. Good luck everyone!

That Little Demon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 10, 2022

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
heartthrob memorial translation by the slur meltdown guy

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
It's cool that a version is in english but heart throb memorial sounds stupid.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mysterious loyall X posted:

It's cool that a version is in english but heart throb memorial sounds stupid.

i agree, which is why i didn't call it that lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Ty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao that the game you were so excited about being translated was a dating sim.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also they translated the CD drama that came with the SNES version, I think its an epilogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqjN_OfSqGc

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

its a really insane time management sim with dating, and it's cool you stupid little gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hype.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the msu-1 version appears to Just Work on snes9xgx for my Wii, or at least it played the voice sample and opening cutscene, so im excited

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

Scope the GCCX ep.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Scope the GCCX ep.

And the Tim Rogers ep

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mycophobia posted:

the msu-1 version appears to Just Work on snes9xgx for my Wii, or at least it played the voice sample and opening cutscene, so im excited

yeah it works well just as is for 9x, which is nice.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also there is only one "Scope" for larry... a microscope!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol every time

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm going to look at you through my AWP scope if you keep it up.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the whiplash in tone between Quarantine and Tokimeki Memorial is going to be delightful. IZGC rules

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The more I think about it the madder I am about "Heartthrob Memorial"

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The more I think about it the madder I am about "Heartthrob Memorial"

its such a loving stupid name, even Heartbeat Memorial sounds better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

its such a loving stupid name, even Heartbeat Memorial sounds better

It does, but just keep it Tokimeki, the Japanese title already has the English word Memorial in it

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

The next game will be a dating sim

Where all the dateable characters are women

And it's got the most trophies of any game ever

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm rewatching the GCCX episode and arino tries to take Mio to the arcade on a first date lmao even though he knows better

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also lmao