Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Great to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: that it's done already. It's going to be very bad

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:wrong:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

It rules that Zombie has a clear genuine love for the source material and seems to want to make a good family friendly comedy about The Munsters. I watched a ton of it growing up and was familiar with The Munsters way before I ever saw any of The Addams Family so they've always been my preferred spooky family of goofballs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Same!

There's no violence in the Munsters, idk why people thought itd be R rated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Same!

There's no violence in the Munsters, idk why people thought itd be R rated.

That last revival attempt rattled a lot of folks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

It probably doesn’t have a lot of CGI, so it shouldn’t take that long to make. The DGG Halloween movies barely take a year to complete. He already shot Ends and it’s coming out this year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's probably a big advantage to using the same cast members for every thing. Presumably they all work well together and Rob knows everyone's strengths and weaknesses so they can motor along quickly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rob's BTS stuff is really good, and shows how he goes through it all. He usually shoots films in 30 days, which is pretty good for lower budget. I hear from Adam Green and Joe Lynch that a lot of filmmakers get 2ish weeks pushed on them to shoot a whole film these days. Idk what episode of their podcast they said that though so I can't prove it.

But 30 days to shoot, months to edit. It's not that insane these days.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Just finished In the Mouth of Madness. Heading into Phenomena.

ItMoM was rad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thats a p good double feature choice those two would pair well

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Very good choice yeah. I fuckin love Phenomona. Best monkey.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Just finished In the Mouth of Madness. Heading into Phenomena.

ItMoM was rad.

The only problem after watching Phenomena, is no movie ending will ever live up to your expectations ever again.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Well poo poo Tubi doesn’t have consistent subs or dubs on Phenomena.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

CelticPredator posted:

Very good choice yeah. I fuckin love Phenomona. Best monkey.

Jennifer Connelly would probably disagree with you about that chimp.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I didn’t work with it so I can freely love it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It bit off her finger. Definitely not a good monkey.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Oh. Y'all are not talking about Phenomenon starring John Travolta...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It bit off her finger. Definitely not a good monkey.

it grew back

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only problem after watching Phenomena, is no movie ending will ever live up to your expectations ever again.

sir it seems you have not seen The Baby

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

So we switched to Suspiria because Tubi’s version of Phenomena stopped being dubbed a quarter of the way. Awesome. Love the atmosphere and weird camera poo poo. We’ll find a proper format Phenomena I’m sure.

Suspiria worked really well as a double feature with In the Mouth of Madness, because blue is Sutter Cane’s favorite color.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shrecknet posted:

I’m sure that’s been spoiled for me in the past but my lack of good brain memory means I don’t recall it, so I shall add to the list!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I finished the new alienated feature script. One I do a polish on it I can start trying to figure out how to make it.

I have no idea

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shrecknet posted:

This movie is so much more bizarre than I thought it would be when I read the letterboxd summary. And the ending is an all timer for sure

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

So what's the word on the May Horror Challenge this year?

Franchescanado posted:

An awesome person has kindly volunteered to run it, and I am confident they will make it awesome, and they have my full approval. I will leave it to them to announce anything further.

oh hey, this is me!

I'll post more info when it gets closer to May, but I plan on posting the thread on Saturday, April 30th and the challenge will start as soon as it's up. It will be mostly the same as how Fran has run it in the past but I'm thinking of switching up the challenges a bit, not sure. Maybe make them more specific but require less of them - it seems like a lot of the time people will just try to fit something they were already planning on watching into the challenges, I'd like to try and encourage people to branch out more. If anyone has any fun ideas feel free to PM me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm a lot more down for getting out of my comfort zone in May than I am in October. In October I have probably 20-30 movies that I absolutely must watch every single year which doesn't leave all that much room for experimentation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm a lot more down for getting out of my comfort zone in May than I am in October. In October I have probably 20-30 movies that I absolutely must watch every single year which doesn't leave all that much room for experimentation.

Post the list.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
It won't be anything too out there, because I want to make sure people have access to options through the common streaming services, youtube, etc. And actually I was just looking back at last year's May challenge and the ideas I've had so far aren't all that different from some of Fran's, so we'll see what happens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Post the list.

Halloween
Halloween III
The Fog
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
The Shining
Horror of Dracula
The Curse of Frankenstein
Bram Stoker's Dracula(or Coppola's Dracula)
The Wicker Man
Creepshow
Trick r Treat
Candyman
An American Werewolf in London
Poltergeist
House of 1000 Corpses
From Beyond
Re-Animator

Throw in at least a few Argento/Fulci/Bava selections and probably some more Hammer and Universal and yea it's up around 30 films before I ever start considering new-to-me stuff

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween
Halloween III
The Fog
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
The Shining
Horror of Dracula
The Curse of Frankenstein
Bram Stoker's Dracula(or Coppola's Dracula)
The Wicker Man
Creepshow
Trick r Treat
Candyman
An American Werewolf in London
Poltergeist
House of 1000 Corpses
From Beyond
Re-Animator

Throw in at least a few Argento/Fulci/Bava selections and probably some more Hammer and Universal and yea it's up around 30 films before I ever start considering new-to-me stuff

The only one that surprises me is Wicker Man, cuz I think of that one as a May or Summer movie. I also save The Shining for November-February, usually, cuz that's when it's cold where I live.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The only one that surprises me is Wicker Man, cuz I think of that one as a May or Summer movie. I also save The Shining for November-February, usually, cuz that's when it's cold where I live.

Yea you're not wrong about that, Wicker Man takes place during a May Day celebration so definitely not a traditional "October" movie. I tend to watch it as one of my first October movies, so I guess the significance to me is that it's like a transitional thing, it ushers in my October much like the characters are celebrating new growth and hoping for a bountiful harvest to come. And, you know, Christopher Lee.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Broke: the original wicker man

Woke: the cage one

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A Wicker Man with no songs sounds pretty broke to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOCT8fAmng

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Drunkboxer posted:

Martyrs is awesome and I think totally lives up to the hype. I wish I felt the same way about Inside. It’s not terrible or anything, it just didn’t hit for me the way it apparently does for other people. Probably due to that chintzy looking cgi fetus.

Ok, so... Yeah. Inside was brutal and definitely had a few "am I really seeing this?" moments but it didn't have the sheer audacity of Martyrs to become a different movie every 30 minutes. Another contrast was that it actually got a few nervous chuckles out of me at the sheer ridiculousness of some of it, which could probably be chalked up to similar timing of comic beats like the knitting needle to the neck ("a bad time to have perfect aim!") or the aerosol spray to the triumphant cigarette. I had no such reaction to anything in Martyrs and was pretty much just aghast the whole time.

What I did find interesting was that, just like Frontier(s), Inside takes place with the backdrop of the Paris riots. If NFE mainly exists between 2000 - 2010, it feels like there's a definite shift in themes post-riots, from exploring the horrors of the personal/sexual to the horrors of society, or at least the awareness of the horrors of society as a setting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always love the way whenever people talk about Martyrs, it feels like they justify the extreme violence due to the reveal. Obviously it's more of a case of 'it makes sense from these characters POV as to what they're doing and why, and it's not just random' rather than 'oh yeah, well that's fine then! carry on!', I hope at least! It's also a movie where the final 30 minutes of a girl getting the absolute poo poo beaten out of her on an almost constant basis feels like a loving break from what happened previously. It's an experience, that's for sure.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always love the way whenever people talk about Martyrs, it feels like they justify the extreme violence due to the reveal. Obviously it's more of a case of 'it makes sense from these characters POV as to what they're doing and why, and it's not just random' rather than 'oh yeah, well that's fine then! carry on!', I hope at least! It's also a movie where the final 30 minutes of a girl getting the absolute poo poo beaten out of her on an almost constant basis feels like a loving break from what happened previously. It's an experience, that's for sure.

Well, for me, I would say "justified" but definitely "explained". I may have missed it, but I don't think Mademoiselle's group was associated with any specific religion but it definitely resonated with my Catholic upbringing. Like, there's a very specific obsession of some people with Beatific Vision and that the truly blessed have a beatific expression the moment before they finally die. And this is nothing new, either, this has been around at least since the 1400's with the Ars Moriendi. Short Version: Just before you die, the devil stomps on the gas and makes one final giant attempt to win your soul. God steps aside to watch how you and your guardian angel handle it. If you win the struggle then you get a "good death" and are rewarded with heaven. The evidence of this for any witnesses is the beatific expression on your face. Of course, modern science would probably tell you that this "beatific expression" looks an AWFUL lot like all of the muscles relaxing in your face because you're loving DYING. But... still, even today, religious folks put stock in this as "evidence" that the dying person is "seeing god".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wouldn't say the film makes me feel like it's actions are justified, but it is edited in a way where the violence you are watching is recontextualized after the fact, inverting your horror and conclusions. "Oh, this family is getting brutally murdered" becomes "Oh, this father is a monster and this is revenge, the family's death is collateral for his sins/crimes". "Oh she's controlled or persecuted by a monster" becomes "Oh, this is a manifestation of her trauma and torture". Etc.

Like Stryder mentions, a lot of the themes on persecution for enlightenment makes a lot of sense for someone with a religious upbringing, and it's pretty much the ethos that founded the USA, and is still a regular mentality. There is a long history of people allowing themselves to be victims because it's perceived as honorable, and there is a greater reward for their great suffering, and we've really not reckoned with that reasoning as a whole to this day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's what I mean, it makes sense in context but sometimes it's easy to interpret the way people react to this being revealed as a good thing rather than just everything clicking. Given the bleakness, anything that can lighten up thinking about that movie is needed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, Martyrs gets points for having more plot justification for its gore than just "Do you want to play a game?" But that's still the worst part for me. I've noticed in terms of violence I'm bothered more by duration than magnitude. Just seeing someone get pasted by Freddy or Jason is fine, but extended sequences like what you mention in Martyrs are uncomfortable. That's why I say Human Centipede, while not really a good movie, is at least an effective one. In a 'normal' horror movie the characters getting all mashed together would be the big reveal at the end, cut to credits movie over. In HC, that poo poo is Act 2, you still have to watch these poor people crawl around for another 40 minutes :gonk: