Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just signed up to test Palia. The article I read described it as a cross between Valheim and Animal Crossing, which sounds extremely like my kinda game. I’ll report back if I get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

If they want to do Instance based stuff the progression per level should be faster/higher tier being cheaper etc, specifically the deep drills they just added are great but so slow it's pointless to use them. It takes like an hour for 60 ore which is nothing.
Did a run this weekend with two people, got 180 or so exotics between the 15 from a cave and ~165 or so from a radar-detected deposit with two miners on it.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the update pace at least and totally agree with you on having some persistence, but I do understand why that'd be a big ask.

stringless fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 2, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Retrowave Joe posted:

Just signed up to test Palia. The article I read described it as a cross between Valheim and Animal Crossing, which sounds extremely like my kinda game. I’ll report back if I get in.
I didn't see anything in the material to suggest there's any combat, what part of it is Valheim? Cute enough though, I know plenty of people who'll want to keep an eye on this.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Vib Rib posted:

I didn't see anything in the material to suggest there's any combat, what part of it is Valheim? Cute enough though, I know plenty of people who'll want to keep an eye on this.

Here’s the article. It says “There is combat in the game, but it will be entirely optional and you won't miss out on loot for skipping it.”

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
All the zomboid updates are killing the mods I use. I'm getting bored of restarting over and over again.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sons of the Forest is delayed until October, which is when I was honestly expecting it anyway. Apparently the release date was May, which seems wildly optimistic to me (and I guess it was).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a new space survival sandbox game is on Steam Early Access
Planet Crafter
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284190/The_Planet_Crafter/

highlights:
- terraforming (go from arid, unbreathable atmo, black sky to forest, wetland, blue sky)
- walk around
- look at things
- pick up things
- click menus

e: it has food, thirst and air needs but the building is very abstracted - it might look a little like Stationeers but it's very simple, power is automatically distributed and your own breathing air is free, you just recharge your suit's tank in any interior structure that you build. there isn't any logistics like piping or belts or whatever, any crafting you do is out of your personal inventory (as far as I've seen at least). basically you walk around, look at things, pick up things and click menus until the planet is terraformed :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 28, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hate to dump on a new survival game since it feels like the genre’s moment in the spotlight has passed and despite my love for Open World Survival Craft, I don’t see a lot on the horizon.

But Planet Crafters is kind of bad. It has a demo and you should finish the demo before you buy it. The save will carry over if you’re still interested - but man, it ends up being an idle game watching numbers go up with really lovely looking visuals once you get past the “Ooo new game” exploration vibe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In my experience, I spent most of my time exploring the world and finding new resources. Very rarely, except maybe for near the end of the tech tree, was I ever just sitting around and waiting for anything. If you get to that point, just build a few more things and explore the next area beyond the ridge, it'll be done before you know it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Retrowave Joe posted:

ah, finally wrapping around to The Terrible Secret Of Animal Crossing and the ultimate showdown with Penny

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I hate to dump on a new survival game since it feels like the genre’s moment in the spotlight has passed and despite my love for Open World Survival Craft, I don’t see a lot on the horizon.

But Planet Crafters is kind of bad. It has a demo and you should finish the demo before you buy it. The save will carry over if you’re still interested - but man, it ends up being an idle game watching numbers go up with really lovely looking visuals once you get past the “Ooo new game” exploration vibe.

completely fine with it so far, just passed the "blue skies" threshold and I like it :shrug:
e: I mean don't anybody get any illusions about it, it is very much a Walk Around, Look At Stuff, Pick Things Up game

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 28, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Vib Rib posted:

In my experience, I spent most of my time exploring the world and finding new resources. Very rarely, except maybe for near the end of the tech tree, was I ever just sitting around and waiting for anything. If you get to that point, just build a few more things and explore the next area beyond the ridge, it'll be done before you know it.

It's not like you just sit and stare at number go up, but there's just nothing else to the game. You run around, pick up rocks, build thing that makes number, repeat x1000. All the building stuff is also really barebones - you just plop stuff down wherever you want, power magically transmits everywhere, nothing is connected. The terraforming stuff is also really simplistic, I guess your skybox slowly changes and the water surface mesh expands? There's no factories, no intermediate crafting materials - everything you can make is made with the same 5 or 6 types of rock.

Like it's really very transparently just a simple clicker-type game, but with a 3d environment slapped on top of it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Flesh Forge posted:

a new space survival sandbox game is on Steam Early Access
Planet Crafter
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284190/The_Planet_Crafter/

highlights:
- terraforming (go from arid, unbreathable atmo, black sky to forest, wetland, blue sky)
- walk around
- look at things
- pick up things
- click menus

e: it has food, thirst and air needs but the building is very abstracted - it might look a little like Stationeers but it's very simple, power is automatically distributed and your own breathing air is free, you just recharge your suit's tank in any interior structure that you build. there isn't any logistics like piping or belts or whatever, any crafting you do is out of your personal inventory (as far as I've seen at least). basically you walk around, look at things, pick up things and click menus until the planet is terraformed :shrug:

A lot of people do seem to dislike it.
And to boil it down to its most basic, its a first person idle game. But with stuff to constantly do.
I'm enjoying it though, it fills a progression that checks off the numbers need for me.
Things to explore, and some things that appear when you start to change the world around you.
Its very easy, with danger only from your own mistakes.
And its got a nice look and feel to it.
Big thumbs up from me.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The thing I hate the most about is the really really aggressive colour correction that certain regions have. loving INEXPLICABLE REDZONE past the crashed ship in the big deserty area, Orangesand zone, Mt. Dew Caves, THE GODDAMN DAYFORNIGHT STONES. The only one that kinda works and doesn't feel loving terrible is the sulfur fields, because constant fog effects, but even then, it turns the loving moon and other planet in the sky neon green while your there. I don't know why this is what infuriates me most, but it is. I hate it. So much.

But yeah, it's basically a clicker game. I can see it having SOME promise if development continues, since the bugreporter claims this is an extremely early alpha, but the free oxygen and auto-transmit power kinda ruins some of the fun currently and that may just be how it be.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its made by a 2 person team in France.

My biggest and best mistake in it was building a large base in a valley.
And then the rains came.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I mean yeah, it is pretty naked in how it handles progression, even among the genre, but I feel like that's kind of the point. It is a bar-filling game but some people like to veg out to that.
Personally I prefer the planet-wide electric grid, because wiring things up was always my least favorite part of Satisfactory and Factorio. It's just obnoxious to me and I can never get it to come out aesthetically pleasing, so by all means, send that electricity straight through the air. I don't really mind the lack of intermediate crafts (though there definitely are some by the end of the game) since that mostly just comes off as busywork within busywork. It's not really a logistics transport/optimizing game the way the aforementioned games are, so I'm glad I don't have to wire up process chains and it takes a more Subnautica-adjacent crafting approach.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My main issue with the wireless electricity is the unlimited range. If it was just a base and it's local environs powered wireless that'd be cool, ideal even than having to make some kinda connection from each provider/consumer, but it just, feels weird to be able to poo poo out a base on the other side of the planet and not have to build any kind of local power for it. I don't even use the oxygen bottles since I can just make a quick hab module and door then step inside and be filled up.

I'd like it to be tied into the satellite system, and then beaming power up/down from bases. You get the same global power pool in the end, but with a bit more work and flavor.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the price was half of what it is now. But if for the same dollar amount you can have for example Powerwash Simulator, which is an excellent veg-out podcast game, or Valheim, or Hardspace, all of which were already actual games with actual design on first EA release, then this seems like a big nothing. But on the other hand judging from the reviews a lot of people are into it, so idk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm playing it and my main objection is every resource is just a blob on the ground. Give me some variety here.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the price was half of what it is now. But if for the same dollar amount you can have for example Powerwash Simulator, which is an excellent veg-out podcast game, or Valheim, or Hardspace, all of which were already actual games with actual design on first EA release, then this seems like a big nothing. But on the other hand judging from the reviews a lot of people are into it, so idk

I’m honestly holding back saying anything more because people do seem to click with it yet it’s an absolute trash tier delivery. It’s a single notch above shovelware. I love a good podcast game and there’s a dozen trash podcast games that run circles around planet crafters.

If you’re enjoying the game please ignore me, I don’t want to spoil your vibe. It’s just frustrating because I’d love a good terraforming game and this misses so wildly for me.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The game isn't exactly bad but it's not good. It doesn't need to go full Factorio but it needs to add a little bit more complexity to just something, anything. As far as I can tell in the few hours I gave it, there's no real change in resource distribution anywhere to make exploration mechanically rewarding, you're either out on the surface finding the same common resources, or you're in a wreck and finding one of like 3 rare ones in a chest. Or maybe you got lucky and found a chest out just in a sand dune. Exploring was sort of fun from a visual variety perspective. Not up to Subnautica levels, not that much is.

If they made the terraforming a little bit more complex and made the biomes more mechanically distinct it would go a long way, because I was having fun right up to the instant I realized the entire world was identical and all the tools/machines were simple tier 1, 2, 3 type upgrades. Give the biomes more resource variety, different environmental effects on your character, maybe some light metroidvania type elements similar to depth upgrades / prawn suit and this could be good. Maybe it does do that and I just didn't stick around long enough, if anyone finished the demo and can report back let me know, because if it's just an issue of poor early pacing I could be persuaded to dive back in.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 28, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I can absolutely understand why a lot of people don't go for it, it's very fair to describe it as an incremental clicker. It hits a certain spot for me where games like Factorio or Satisfactory or Stationeers are way too fiddly and complex :shrug:

Jawnycat posted:

The thing I hate the most about is the really really aggressive colour correction that certain regions have.

yeah hands down one of the most garish games I've ever played, sometimes the screen does that throbbing shimmer that is your optic nerve going "please stop"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 28, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

metasynthetic posted:

The game isn't exactly bad but it's not good. It doesn't need to go full Factorio but it needs to add a little bit more complexity to just something, anything. As far as I can tell in the few hours I gave it, there's no real change in resource distribution anywhere to make exploration mechanically rewarding, you're either out on the surface finding the same common resources, or you're in a wreck and finding one of like 3 rare ones in a chest. Or maybe you got lucky and found a chest out just in a sand dune. Exploring was sort of fun from a visual variety perspective. Not up to Subnautica levels, not that much is.

If they made the terraforming a little bit more complex and made the biomes more mechanically distinct it would go a long way, because I was having fun right up to the instant I realized the entire world was identical and all the tools/machines were simple tier 1, 2, 3 type upgrades. Give the biomes more resource variety, different environmental effects on your character, maybe some light metroidvania type elements similar to depth upgrades / prawn suit and this could be good. Maybe it does do that and I just didn't stick around long enough, if anyone finished the demo and can report back let me know, because if it's just an issue of poor early pacing I could be persuaded to dive back in.
It does open up a bit and you start having to go further afield for aluminum and radioactives, but they're still coloured blobs on the ground. Like I'm enjoying but I have definite feedback saved up.

My other complaint is kind of a reverse of the electric complaint where there's no penalty for shoving all your gas drills and heaters and plants right next to each other.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

grate deceiver posted:

Speaking of which, has Hardspace gone anywhere? Last I checked it only added a couple ships after the original release and that was some time back. I tried to give it a shot but apparently I chose a time when the public version was just... completely broken and wouldn't save right? Didn't fill me with confidence.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of which, has Hardspace gone anywhere? Last I checked it only added a couple ships after the original release and that was some time back. I tried to give it a shot but apparently I chose a time when the public version was just... completely broken and wouldn't save right? Didn't fill me with confidence.

It's better now, they're nearing version 1.0 release, should come with the next update. They're pretty much adding story and some tuneups, but the core game is in its final shape. There's still only 4 ship types - less than I would have liked, but still enough to get several dozen of hours out of it and each has a decent amount of variations. If you already have it, I'd wait for the full release before trying again, since it will include the final progression reset.

My only problem with it is they're planning for a price increase after the full release, which I think is asking a bit much for the amount of content they have. If they stayed at current price it would be perfectly fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grate deceiver posted:

My only problem with it is they're planning for a price increase after the full release, which I think is asking a bit much for the amount of content they have. If they stayed at current price it would be perfectly fine.
It's a gimmick to boost sales. A bunch of people on the fence will hear that and buy in at the current price, meaning more sales. Also they can list it at 65% off in steam sales when it's only "really" 35% off.

People are dumb and it works.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I played a fair bit of planet crafters and the midgame (I guess?) gets really annoying with all the intermediates needing a bunch of stuff and you having to find large quantities of rare ores to do anything. The crafting interface is clunky, the oxygen/water/food bars are mostly annoying rather than an interesting mechanic, and the basebuilding isn't compelling.

I like what they're trying to do, the terraforming mechanics are neat and the nonlinear progression is very satisfying, but everything feels super rough and they don't have enough unique mechanics to overcome how janky it is in places. Some kind of handheld ore scanner ala Satisfactory's would solve a lot of problems. So would having a base power meter on your HUD, especially since the entire world has magically linked power (which is weird but I honestly don't mind it). And some way to carry back larger amounts of goods beyond your backpack, give me a cart or something, or even a little drone that can pick up nearby ores. It has potential but right now for $20 I can't say it's worth it. Hopefully they try to round out the edges rather than listening to the everpresent "games are only fun if everything is pointless tedium" crowd and make the early game as boring as the intermediate crafting is now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

End gamish for Planter Crafters
At least what they've built in so far.
I can't progress to the insects stage because it hasn't been built in yet.

Couple of spoilery screenshots for areas
I have a few things to unlock, but the final item listed is such a far off number that I will likely just wait for updates.
Since i'm sure quite a bit is yet to be added.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Splicer posted:

It's a gimmick to boost sales. A bunch of people on the fence will hear that and buy in at the current price, meaning more sales. Also they can list it at 65% off in steam sales when it's only "really" 35% off.

People are dumb and it works.

lmao, you just can't win with some people

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So I just picked up space engineers for no reason at all, do we have a megathread? I couldn't find one but it seems like the kind of game that would have a huge thread and big following on SA.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So I just picked up space engineers for no reason at all, do we have a megathread? I couldn't find one but it seems like the kind of game that would have a huge thread and big following on SA.

There used to be one years ago but it fell out of use a long time ago and I don’t know of a new one. Keep in mind that game is nearly ten years old now. I do still enjoy it but it’s not exactly a hot new thing.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
Space engineers is great, just talk about it here. There a pile of mods, an active community, and they're still actively developing it. Apparently they're going to add water based on like 10 seconds of watching the current dev live stream thing? I'm sure that won't be janky and weird.

The game is janky and weird, but way way less then it used to be.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Space Engineers is fantastic. Last time I was hooked I built an enormous planetside mobile deep drill with complex hydraulic systems and a bunch of auxiliary functions and found a thousand ways to destroy it in cool ways.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2022/03/milky-milky/

Project Zomboid devs posted about some future plans, including some really cool animal husbandry stuff, but this part stood out to me:

quote:

Growth rates will be realistic, so a cow will take two full years to be at its full size, but this will be modifiable via sandbox options.
really glad to see more mechanics in line with their goal of making the game focused around attaining long term self sufficiency, love the game right now but long lasting games are in a weird state right now with the lack of certain features like animals.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm sorry, has anyone in this thread ever played a single Zomboid world for 2 years?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Can't wait til I can jerk off a bull and artificially inseminate cows endlessly to produce milk in project zomboid

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I presume we'll be able to find farm animals in various stages of maturity, but yeah, there's gonna have to be some serious time compression to make the mechanics work better.

Once that stuff's in though, it could be fun to do a game where a season is like 10 days or something, with some tweaking to compensate.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sorry, has anyone in this thread ever played a single Zomboid world for 2 years?

that's the game's current big problem, you have a very good and engrossing early game experience of figuring out how to survive the first few dozen or so hours, and then it's just goal-less sandbox stuff that you do whenever, no reason at all to do it on a long running world state. there just aren't any long term goals :shrug:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

that's the game's current big problem, you have a very good and engrossing early game experience of figuring out how to survive the first few dozen or so hours, and then it's just goal-less sandbox stuff that you do whenever, no reason at all to do it on a long running world state. there just aren't any long term goals :shrug:

They're really succeeding in simulating real life better than any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Flesh Forge posted:

i imagine that will change whenever they add human NPCs and you can start building a proper town like they keep mentioning being the end goal