Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Sentinel Red posted:

Tatooine is the last place in the galaxy Anakin wants to go or think about, and the baby died with Padme as far as he and Palpatine know. Plus it's pretty much a nothing backwater dive in an entire galaxy of planets

If Anakin had only watched all of the movies and shows he would understand how prominent Tatooine really is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thrawn527 posted:

I love Rebels, but my only problem with it is that I never found the Inquisitors all that scary. I know they needed less powerful villains, because we were following less powerful Force users, but that doesn't change the fact that the answer to, "Who are the Inquisitors?" can be summed up with, "A group of less scary Darth Vaders." Okay, well, then, I'm not gonna find them all that intimidating, I guess, if that's what we're using as a starting point. They worked better in Fallen Order as escalating bosses, I think.

This only got worse in season 2 when Vader and Ahsoka showed up, and Vader was clearly a bigger deal, and Ahsoka absolutely clowned them. I get why they need to exist from a story telling point of view, but, like, in this show, for example. Can any Inquisitor really seem like a threat against Kenobi? The man went toe-to-toe against Vader in his absolute prime (with the aide of some high ground, obviously), and won. Sure, throw a few lesser Vaders at him, I guess.

Minor thought that's been on my mind for a while, I guess.
The Inquisitors are the goth mall ninjas of the empire

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that there is in fact a Jedi here in Mos Eisley. Now, would it not stand to reason that anyone, hypothetically, who would be housing said Jedi, would be guilty of treason to the Empire and likely to be sentenced to death? It's true! They don't want you to know about it, but it's true.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SolarFire2 posted:

If it turned out Hitler didn't die, and the remnants of Nazi Germany were allowed to keep existing until thirty years later they're strong enough to take over the world?

Yeah that would make it pretty pointless.

Imagine not realising that, other than Hitler not dying, this is actually what occurred in the second half of the twentieth century.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also they strongly hinted he's going to have a rematch with Vader. Which I hope is a cool enough scene it justifies retconning the original film so Vader is confessing he was "but a learner" 10 years after becoming a dark lord of the Sith and basically at the height of his power.

He says "when I left you I was but a learner" so no retconning needed as Vader is referring to leaving Obi Wan/Jedi, even if they meet up many times in the interim he's still referring to a specific event that happened in III. If there is a contradiction there it's that Anakin was not a learner during III but that wobbly bit of continuity has existed since III came out.

If there is a line that might get expounded on it may be "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" from ROTJ. In III there was barely any debate between Anakin and Obi-Wan about the dark side. Perhaps in this series Obi-Wan actually takes a punt at bringing Vader back to the light, or at least tries to get through to him in some fashion, but fails.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Owlbear Camus posted:

that one's not to hard to hand wave though. with "darth" as a title he's kind of shining him on. like loving with someone who insists on being called "doctor" because they have a phd in dick sucking. "yes, you're very cool DOCTOR"

It's the Sith version of "Master" and Kenobi knew how salty Vader was about never being made a Jedi master.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Any rumors about Jimmy Smits popping up? I could see OBK having a hand in some rebel business along the road.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
poo poo, is Sung Kang playing the Xth Brother or something? My dreams of a Han Solo & Han Seoul-Oh team up, cruelly dashed.

Comedy option: have him play Dash Rendar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Trump posted:

Any rumors about Jimmy Smits popping up? I could see OBK having a hand in some rebel business along the road.

Non-plot answer to question: Yes, though rumor is that his wife is played by a different actor than in Sith.

Potentially spoilery answer to question: The main thrust of the story apparently revolves around Leia being kidnapped and Obi going after her. So probably not much Rebel business, more of a personal situation.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 10, 2022

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) Why were there 4 Sith apparently running around immediately after the end of the prequels?

The cartoons are actually very stupid and every attempt to reaffirm them in live-action is ruinous.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Szmitten posted:

The cartoons are actually very stupid and every attempt to reaffirm them in live-action is ruinous.

I've never watched them, so it will be a roller coaster of surprises for me, I guess!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I'd say this is true of Rebels 100% and Clone Wars 25%

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I'd say this is true of Rebels 100% and Clone Wars 25%

I'd say your percentages are reversed.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The cartoons have equal parts stupid and awesome things. Which puts them in line with the films and Star Wars as a whole.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Inquisitors' spinning lightsabers are just recolored General Grievous toys.

https://i.imgur.com/LTD3HgL.mp4

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Szmitten posted:

Sucks to be you, a non-enjoyer. :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Szmitten posted:

This is bullshit.

The cartoons crush the the PT and ST easily. It's some of the best poo poo out there and the ONLY loving reason these live action shows exist in the first place.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who loves (a lot of) The Clone Wars, I have no idea what anyone sees in Rebels. TCW did a great job of being an all-ages show full of complex themes and good storytelling and rich character moments (alongside a bunch of goofy-rear end episodes that I don't care for). In contrast, Rebels feels like a kids show, dumbed-down and talking down to its audience, full of annoying cardboard characters who make the stupidest decisions possible at every turn and full of bad-calls of cartoony bullshit that feels completely divorced from the reality presented in the films.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like it because its fun OP.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1501936922993696777?s=20&t=O_r50F8DIrKqJvCsx-K4eg

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is that a joke tweet? :lol:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vintersorg posted:

Is that a joke tweet? :lol:

No?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who loves (a lot of) The Clone Wars, I have no idea what anyone sees in Rebels. TCW did a great job of being an all-ages show full of complex themes and good storytelling and rich character moments (alongside a bunch of goofy-rear end episodes that I don't care for). In contrast, Rebels feels like a kids show, dumbed-down and talking down to its audience, full of annoying cardboard characters who make the stupidest decisions possible at every turn and full of bad-calls of cartoony bullshit that feels completely divorced from the reality presented in the films.

I'm not finished with Rebels yet, but I can see your point for the first season or so. It's very much standard kids shows stuff with a plucky group who always run up against the same bad guy who ends up shaking their fists saying "Grr I'll get you next time!". But as the show has progressed - I'm at the start of season 3 at the moment - it has really changed. The Twilight of the Apprentice stuff is great, and it's getting a bit more complicated and delightfully weird with episodes featuring a philosophising giant who waxes poetic about the intrinsic nature of good and evil. It's cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's just kinda dumb to say "FIRST LOOK" and it's just the Vader costume. It could be anyone in there.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Ezra controlling the mind of the guy in the AT-ST still stands out as one of the most hosed up things I've ever seen in Star Wars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vintersorg posted:

It's just kinda dumb to say "FIRST LOOK" and it's just the Vader costume. It could be anyone in there.

Yeah that could be from any of the movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's just funny seeing all the Twitter replies freaking out over a photo of Darth Vader, looking exactly the same as Darth Vader looks in every film he appears in.

It's like saying 'here's a look at Frank Oz as Yoda' for an upcoming movie and showing a photo of the ESB Yoda puppet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hopefully he looks less like a Halloween costume than he did in Rogue One.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I’m assuming Hayden will be in the suit like he was in ROTS (probably some flashbacks as well) and someone else will do the voice (JEJ seems a bit old now but I suppose it’s possible, either that or get the guy from Rebels to do it)?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Karloff posted:

I'm not finished with Rebels yet, but I can see your point for the first season or so. It's very much standard kids shows stuff with a plucky group who always run up against the same bad guy who ends up shaking their fists saying "Grr I'll get you next time!". But as the show has progressed - I'm at the start of season 3 at the moment - it has really changed. The Twilight of the Apprentice stuff is great, and it's getting a bit more complicated and delightfully weird with episodes featuring a philosophising giant who waxes poetic about the intrinsic nature of good and evil. It's cool.

Yeah, up until Ezra builds his lightsaber it felt like a show for a younger audience. It gets better towards the end of season 1 and season 2 onward it targets a bigger audience. TCW did the same kind of thing but more slowly. They probably got demographics reports and saw that in addition to kids, a ton of adults were watching it as well so they retooled a little; which is probably when they finally gave Ashoka more clothes. I love rebels for going after the original trilogy esthetic(like thin lightsaber blades), using the old school kenner toys as models for vehicles and using a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's design concepts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't get over the animation in Rebels. It's just so limited most of the time and the space battles have no speed at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait to see this faithfully recreated in live action

https://i.imgur.com/cwJN6g3.gifv

I’m sure it won’t be as stupid then.

(Don’t get me wrong, I love how stupid it is)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

So I’m assuming Hayden will be in the suit like he was in ROTS (probably some flashbacks as well) and someone else will do the voice (JEJ seems a bit old now but I suppose it’s possible, either that or get the guy from Rebels to do it)?

Allegedly they're doing a David Prowse / Bob Anderson / Sebastian Shaw thing, where there's separate actors for Vader in the suit, Vader in fights, and Vader without his helmet.

James Earl Jones played Vader in Rebels, so if they don't get him they'll probably go the AI route like they did with Luke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Robot Style posted:

James Earl Jones played Vader in Rebels, so if they don't get him they'll probably go the AI route like they did with Luke.

:barf: God I hope not. Just run Hayden's voice through a drat filter, this is meant to be a younger Vader anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They already auto-generated a young Mark Hamill voice for Boba Fett, you know they're going to do the same thing to James Earl Jones.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

stev posted:

:barf: God I hope not. Just run Hayden's voice through a drat filter, this is meant to be a younger Vader anyway.

That's basically what the AI process they're using is already - it's not just text-to-speech. I don't think they've divulged whose voice they layered the Luke stuff on top of (they said Mark Hamill never recorded anything for the show), but if they've got Hayden there anyway, they might as well use him for the performance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
iirc JEJ has recorded a library of sounds for them to synthesize his voice with. Whether they use that or end up going with recordings from the 70s and 80s, who can say, but I definitely believe that they'll just do an AI thing whether it's for Kenobi or the next thing.

Also, I've long had a pet theory that Hayden's cadence is so bizarre in AOTC and ROTS because he was doing his damnedest to match JEJ's cadence despite them having wildly different voices and delivery styles. So if they used Hayden's delivery to layer the AI on top of, it could be a really interesting synthesis of the two.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

iirc JEJ has recorded a library of sounds for them to synthesize his voice with. Whether they use that or end up going with recordings from the 70s and 80s, who can say, but I definitely believe that they'll just do an AI thing whether it's for Kenobi or the next thing.

Also, I've long had a pet theory that Hayden's cadence is so bizarre in AOTC and ROTS because he was doing his damnedest to match JEJ's cadence despite them having wildly different voices and delivery styles. So if they used Hayden's delivery to layer the AI on top of, it could be a really interesting synthesis of the two.

I never thought about that but it does make sense. I sort of always assumed he was just....not that good of an actor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Allegedly they're doing a David Prowse / Bob Anderson / Sebastian Shaw thing, where there's separate actors for Vader in the suit, Vader in fights, and Vader without his helmet.

Ah, I thought I remembered it being a soundalike. Nevermind then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

feedmyleg posted:

iirc JEJ has recorded a library of sounds for them to synthesize his voice with. Whether they use that or end up going with recordings from the 70s and 80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eboogH9O8pI