Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
At least it's nice to have stories where some Jedi survived; I remember when I watched episode 3 the first time and Order 66 seemed so thorough (and there are no other surviving Jedi in the original trilogy) that them going back to Coruscant and sending a signal to warn away any "stragglers" felt pointless and a bit tragic. I thought "there aren't any stragglers, you guys are it :smith:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jerkface posted:

As someone that has consumed a lot of preproduction spoiler stuff for Obi Wan do not worry, the obi wan show is about obi wan doing Kenobi things

He's gonna constantly tell his sidekicks to not do a thing that is bad, then do that exact thing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

This, but unironically.

You just know Ewan is gonna completely own that line delivery too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quoting this when they give a contrived explanation of why he choose the name Ben in episode 2 or 5

I assume he will arrive seconds too late to save the son of Ben Quadrinaros from stormtroopers, doubling his efforts to watch over Luke

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ingmar terdman posted:

Quoting this when they give a contrived explanation of why he choose the name Ben in episode 2 or 5

Someone is going to question him about his long absence and ask him "Where you been?", which he will mishear.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Someone is going to question him about his long absence and ask him "Where you been?", which he will mishear.

VADER: The Kenobi I remember is dead. You are a but a shadow.

OBI-WAN: I been Kenobi this whole time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*goes into hiding on backwater desert planet from Palpatine’s SpecOps galactic hitmen*

*intentionally doesn’t change surname*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just want a Vader/Obi-Wan confrontation where Vader has the high ground and brags about it.

He already did that poo poo in Rebels when he stood on top of his hovering TIE fighter to get the drop on Ezra.

Edit: gently caress, I had totally forgotten he did it in Jedi: Fallen Order, too. Dude is just never gonna forget that lesson.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 10, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Blood Boils posted:

He's gonna constantly tell his sidekicks to not do a thing that is bad, then do that exact thing?

Oh you know it

"Don't go off world, it'll only end in trouble"

*immediately books ticket to hong kong planet*

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

As someone that has consumed a lot of preproduction spoiler stuff for Obi Wan do not worry, the obi wan show is about obi wan doing Kenobi things

Nice.

2house2fly posted:

At least it's nice to have stories where some Jedi survived; I remember when I watched episode 3 the first time and Order 66 seemed so thorough (and there are no other surviving Jedi in the original trilogy) that them going back to Coruscant and sending a signal to warn away any "stragglers" felt pointless and a bit tragic. I thought "there aren't any stragglers, you guys are it :smith:"

Probably me then, but I don't like the thought of too many Jedi still alive and running around. I feel it messes with the original story.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

*goes into hiding on backwater desert planet from Palpatine’s SpecOps galactic hitmen*

*intentionally doesn’t change surname*

Was there ever a retroactive justification for this somewhere in the EU where it turns out that the names Skywalker and Kenobi are the space equivalent of Smith and Jones?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Asgerd posted:

Was there ever a retroactive justification for this somewhere in the EU where it turns out that the names Skywalker and Kenobi are the space equivalent of Smith and Jones?

This is the usual case of people not being able to tell the difference between what they know and what the characters know.

Luke’s legal name is Luke Lars, and he was raised as the biological son of Owen and Beru. As in the old Spaceballs joke, Luke Lars is Anakin’s highly estranged (ex?) stepbrother's son, which means they have basically no relationship. Vader has no idea that Padme’s twins survived and/or got names, so why would he think Beru Lars’ son is secretly his dead kid?

The cover story only breaks when Luke Lars grows up to be a “you’re not my real dad” dipshit. He goes around calling himself ‘Skywalker’ after finding out he’s adopted - and that name ends up broadcast across the galaxy after he famously blows up the Death Star. The resulting stories of a ‘force sensitive’ hero named Skywalker (with a blue lightsaber!) immediately catch Vader’s attention, and that’s why Episode 5 happens. This is the opposite of a ‘plot hole’; it’s just the plot.

But anyway, going back to Episode 4, why would anyone care that there’s a guy named Benjamin Kenobi living on Jakku?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 10, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You must be confused, the sand planet where the aging veteran of the clones wars is hiding out watching over his young protege is named Jedha.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

You must be confused, the sand planet where the aging veteran of the clones wars is hiding out watching over his young protege is named Jedha.

No that is the name of the caste of magic monks that guard peace and justice throughout the universe. Their base is on Bosnia Prime.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Do we even know if anyone else besides the Lars family call him Kenobi?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

YaketySass posted:

Do we even know if anyone else besides the Lars family call him Kenobi?

Tune in to disney plus on may 25 to find out!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity though, what was the original EU explanation for Obi Wan taking the name "Ben"? Was it his real name or something (and if so, where did "Obi Wan" come from then)?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the Kenobi novel gave the explanation that his Mandalorian GF used to call him Ben when he was undercover with Qui-Gon, but that book was published in the weird period after Disney bought the franchise but they still had some Legends material in the pipeline so I don't think they're bound by it for this show.

He also used it as an alias in a couple episodes of The Clone Wars, so it's not something he came up with specifically while on Tatooine.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity though, what was the original EU explanation for Obi Wan taking the name "Ben"? Was it his real name or something (and if so, where did "Obi Wan" come from then)?

It's just a nickname, his full name is Oben Wan Kenoben

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you'd all do well to remember that his real name is OB1-Kenobi because he is one of the clones from the Clone Wars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Apparently the Kenobi novel gave the explanation that his Mandalorian GF used to call him Ben when he was undercover with Qui-Gon, but that book was published in the weird period after Disney bought the franchise but they still had some Legends material in the pipeline so I don't think they're bound by it for this show.

He also used it as an alias in a couple episodes of The Clone Wars, so it's not something he came up with specifically while on Tatooine.

Ah ok, I still haven’t finished Clone Wars yet so I wasn’t aware. They’ll likely just go with the latter explanation for the new show then

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Joel Edgerton calling obi "wizard" and not in the canonical slang way for cool as hell

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you absolutely certain he wasn't calling him a crazy old wizard to refer to him a cool old party guy??

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
all I know is that you guys better be prepared for at least 2-3 moments as cringy as "Just 'Han'? Hmm, 'Han Solo', then" based on the writers feeling the need to explain stuff. Why does he go by "Ben"? I bet we'll find out, and it's going to be dumb.

Obi-wan keeping the name "Kenobi" and Luke even being aware his last name is "Skywalker" are silly plot holes that require "well actually you win the kessel run by doing it shorter!!!1" levels of insane explanation, so I'd rather the whole Star Wars universe just completely ignore the fact that they make no sense than have to actually watch whatever BS they come up with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's definitely the thing that annoys me most about Disney-era Star Wars. Stop answering "questions." Nobody gives a poo poo except the most pedantic idiots. Nobody needed an origin story for Han's dice. By the end of Solo I was surprised that they didn't dedicate screen time to the difference between the Haan and Hahn pronunciations of his name.

At least when Lucas answered questions that didn't need answers in the prequels, he did it in surprising and interesting ways.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When you're pathologically afraid of trying anything new, your two options for content are basically "needlessly explain existing iconography" (solo) or "breathlessly run around existing iconography" (JJ)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Glottis posted:

all I know is that you guys better be prepared for at least 2-3 moments as cringy as "Just 'Han'? Hmm, 'Han Solo', then" based on the writers feeling the need to explain stuff. Why does he go by "Ben"? I bet we'll find out, and it's going to be dumb.

Obi-Wan spells out the name "Kenobi" in rocks laid into the sand. With a wave of his hand, the letters rearrange themselves......."i ben, oK"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

By the end of Solo I was surprised that they didn't dedicate screen time to the difference between the Haan and Hahn pronunciations of his name.

Didnt they? I swear they set that up with glover's lando teasing him or something

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't feel like checking, but IIRC jon kasdan's pathetic notes make that explicit yeah

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh. I guess I've actively tried to forget that piece of trash.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

teagone posted:

You just know Ewan is gonna completely own that line delivery too.

He's also going to call him only 'Darth' for some reason to really pull it together.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't feel like checking, but IIRC jon kasdan's pathetic notes make that explicit yeah

Those notes are such an embarrassing pullback of the curtain

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked Solo. :) The winks and references were a bit over the top but not as bad as they were in - for instance - that loving Sopranos movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Those notes are such an embarrassing pullback of the curtain

Have a summary? I remember those coming out but couldn't muster the desire to go through them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Have a summary? I remember those coming out but couldn't muster the desire to go through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is the usual case of people not being able to tell the difference between what they know and what the characters know.

Luke’s legal name is Luke Lars, and he was raised as the biological son of Owen and Beru. As in the old Spaceballs joke, Luke Lars is Anakin’s highly estranged (ex?) stepbrother's son, which means they have basically no relationship. Vader has no idea that Padme’s twins survived and/or got names, so why would he think Beru Lars’ son is secretly his dead kid?

The cover story only breaks when Luke Lars grows up to be a “you’re not my real dad” dipshit. He goes around calling himself ‘Skywalker’ after finding out he’s adopted - and that name ends up broadcast across the galaxy after he famously blows up the Death Star. The resulting stories of a ‘force sensitive’ hero named Skywalker (with a blue lightsaber!) immediately catch Vader’s attention, and that’s why Episode 5 happens. This is the opposite of a ‘plot hole’; it’s just the plot.

But anyway, going back to Episode 4, why would anyone care that there’s a guy named Benjamin Kenobi living on Jakku?

It’s especially funny when you consider that they spend basically 9 movies underlining that the empire/republic do not give a rats rear end about any of the people or events that transpire on Jakku in any meaningful way. He could have kept ob1 and still nobody would have noticed.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

1. I reread Treasure Island
2-60. I scoured wookieepedia and denny's for proper nouns instead of writing a story

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They're about as honest as anyone associated with disney wars will ever be, so they're a significant read for anyone who cares about that. But they are also so mind meltingly inane I just couldn't go there today

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

feedmyleg posted:

It's definitely the thing that annoys me most about Disney-era Star Wars. Stop answering "questions." Nobody gives a poo poo except the most pedantic idiots. Nobody needed an origin story for Han's dice. By the end of Solo I was surprised that they didn't dedicate screen time to the difference between the Haan and Hahn pronunciations of his name.

At least when Lucas answered questions that didn't need answers in the prequels, he did it in surprising and interesting ways.

How else would we know why Han calls Chewbacca "Chewie"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonKasdan/status/1040529501870944256?s=20&t=oPL4rQ4w0_CruQDDZEYFuQ