Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

...What do you think tier zero is? Because to me they're hands-down best decks that need immdiate bans. Like Eldrazi, Hogaak, and that Oko pile.

I don't think just because a deck is the best deck hands down it automatically needed a ban but I think banning Lurrus was fine also and that those two decks were the clear cut best 2 decks in the format before the ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lurrus wasn't a problem because it made any deck the "best deck", it was a problem because it was in a ton of decks and forced loads of cards out of the format because they cost more than 2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tier zero in yugioh means the deck made up 65% of a tournament, which i doubt hammer did. Grixis might have tho

It sucks mtg hides all that data bc its actually very useful definition but nope, you just have to go on guesswork

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tier zero in yugioh means the deck made up 65% of a tournament, which i doubt hammer did. Grixis might have tho

It sucks mtg hides all that data bc its actually very useful definition but nope, you just have to go on guesswork

It's because tournaments barely exist, and ladder play isn't a good metric of deck strength.

Our own Dr Richard Garfield recently wrote an article about this: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/blogs...sBKdnTjA7idPMxQ

Edit lol whoops I forgot we were going talking about Modern so ladder play is less relevant but the article is still very good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they're going to ban SFM again aren't they

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

Grixis was the other Tier 0 deck and it was good because of it's hammer matchup. (also another Lurrus deck)

If a deck has a bad matchup against another good deck then it's not tier 0

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

It's because tournaments barely exist, and ladder play isn't a good metric of deck strength.

Our own Dr Richard Garfield recently wrote an article about this: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/blogs...sBKdnTjA7idPMxQ

Edit lol whoops I forgot we were going talking about Modern so ladder play is less relevant but the article is still very good

Theoretically you could use the data from modern challenges to determine tier status, arent those a more cultivated environment?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If a deck has a bad matchup against another good deck then it's not tier 0

Agree. T0 decks would be necessarily resistant to teching or metagame shifts trying to target it.

A T1 deck that is too prevalent will promote another deck in the metagame that has a strong matchup, or that has strong tech (main deck or sideboard) to keep it in check.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Theoretically you could use the data from modern challenges to determine tier status, arent those a more cultivated environment?

Challenges are just tournaments right? X rounds of Swiss play (cut to a top 8 isn't necessary)? That'll be closer to getting you there, yes.

Tier lists are sometimes subjective, especially when people can't agree on the definition of zero, but if you had all the matchups you could see a W/L matrix of all the decks that are played and that would get you information.

There's a twitter that would do exactly that for Arena formats but they haven't updated this calendar year https://mobile.twitter.com/mtg_data?lang=en

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

They publish the top 64 (32?) from the format challanges, leagues though are curated to reduce reposing.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
a deck has to pretty handily capture over half the format to be T0, otherwise the power differential isnt there (because if it was they would be playing it often enough to reach that mark). T0 is a combination of incredibly high power (high enough that theres no reasonable other options) and then because of that power, the play rate follows. you can see some illustrative examples when you look at yugioh, where decks like TeleDAD had 95%+ top cut showing (meaning regionals etc were 15/16 or 16/16 TeleDAD top cuts). as an example in the opposite direction, because dragon rulers and spellbooks existed at the same time, neither could be T0. they both ended up sucking up the vast majority of rep though, at slightly below 50% (with a small edge to drulers because they didnt have to preboard as hard for spellbooks game 1 as the other way around) and then rogue decks (like the supposedly perfectly positioned antimeta evilswarm) left to suck up singular percentage points, all combined. if youre not seeing a single deck suddenly swooping up tons of top cut spots its by definition not T0 because its clearly not that much better than the entire rest of the field.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

T1 is better but I feel like T2 is more fun.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

T1 is better but I feel like T2 is more fun.

:yeah:

T2 usually, at least to me, has much cooler play patterns and win conditions then just pure hyper efficiency.

I'm not sure where it places, but modern belcher is really cool and fun, but it's also pretty much the only viable true combo deck so I'm not sure if that by default bumps it up a few tiers

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

by the way that statement applies to James Cameron's films as well

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
with all this tier creep we're going to need to start talking about deck tiers in negative numbers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'll never understand the obsession with tiering things. Obviously you want to know what the best decks are, but who the gently caress knows what the difference between a T3 and a T2 deck is.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hammer is still good, AspiringSpike is still putting out black based grindy midrange decks that your local grinders are going to pilot.

They should have also banned ephemerate to go with lurrus.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. One card value engines in the sideboard. I watched Unholy Heats glitter in the dark near Hanweir Battlements . All those moments will be lost in time, like tiers in rain. Time to ban.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'll never understand the obsession with tiering things. Obviously you want to know what the best decks are, but who the gently caress knows what the difference between a T3 and a T2 deck is.

Me. Subscribe to my patreon to find out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Not sure what tier my decks are in, but I know for a fact that the decks I beat and lose to are all several tiers above mine.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I enjoyed that Garfield article about ranks and tournaments. When I started playing Arena I was kind of thrown off that there weren't really any tournaments at all. I experienced big gap in playing from the early 2000s to now. I was used to FNM that were structured like little low-stakes tournaments, and watching big events.

The endless grind for rank just feels aimless and unending - having discrete events that you can succeed or fail in is something that feels more familiar to me. But it sounds like this is less common in digital card games now and organizing discrete, scheduled tournaments requires a lot more effort on WOTCs part and less user friendly for casual players.

The periodic events they do on Arena are cool and feel like something to work towards, but they aren't really tournaments. I suppose you can eventually get to that level by being in Mythic a bunch and winning in a qualifier event? I don't really know how it works.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Me. Subscribe to my patreon to find out.

I rank this post a Low A-tier.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kalel posted:

speaking of which, are there any good modern content creators on YouTube? by which I mean

- no annoying YouTuber voice
- decent player and deckbuilder
- doesn't get theatrically tilted for views
- regular uploads
- has MTGO sounds turned off for gods sake

Aspiring Spike

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalel posted:

they're going to ban SFM again aren't they

nah

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1502016266084790280

lmao

https://twitter.com/SethManfield/status/1502021385325064192

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I know there's not really a better way to deal with it then "play it out as Arena does it" other than rescheduling the whole tournament or rushing out something that might not be tested, but that's pretty hilarious and just sorta seems not right for a major tournament

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jesus christ wizards how do you gently caress up that bad and not immediately prioritize fixing it before the big tournament that it will hugely affect

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arena, you were the chosen one! you were supposed fix stupid MODO bugs, not join them!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
MC is the digital pro tour right? So like theyre playing for money?

Seems like maybe just going with it if itll gently caress people out of placing is not correct. Im guessing anyone whose affected gets a free invite to the next MC

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arena Dev during prioritization: we're not going to fix it, so let's hope that Shatterskull and Magma Opus just aren't registered in the Mythic championship

*checks lists*

Aw, beans.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They should at least let people change their deck list now, or at least sub out those cards if they wish 1:1

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MC is the digital pro tour right? So like theyre playing for money?

Seems like maybe just going with it if itll gently caress people out of placing is not correct. Im guessing anyone whose affected gets a free invite to the next MC

Yes and LOL.

Hinata is the 7th most popular Alchemy deck, with 9 players on it. RIP

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

After the tourmanent, it'll turn out that they only consider you negatively affected by it if you actually triggered the bug, but not if you held back from casting the spell because your opponent could nullify it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was gonna say that at a big tournament maybe you could get people to just like honour system it, maybe pretend the creature's been destroyed if it comes up? But then I remembered Arena doesn't even have chat and there's probably no coverage of these matches.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is this the same bug with Skalds that's been in forever?
For example you go face with a burn spell, triggering Skalds to put a counter on a creature. Your opponent responds by removing the creature and your burn spell disappears.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

the hits just keep on coming

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1502041003448061952

conjured Curse of Leeches definitely worked fine before so they did something to gently caress it up recently

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Should of stuck to paper mechanics, they weren’t ready for this nonsense because they are not a software company

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Koirhor posted:

Should of stuck to paper mechanics, they weren’t ready for this nonsense because they are not a software company

It makes the Goblin combat phase issue look cute in comparison

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Wooper posted:

Is this the same bug with Skalds that's been in forever?
For example you go face with a burn spell, triggering Skalds to put a counter on a creature. Your opponent responds by removing the creature and your burn spell disappears.

Yes, to be clear, because what everyone's initial reading of the post is going to be "oh so if a spell has 2 targets and you remove one of them the spell is countered even though that's not how it should work", that is NOT the bug. The bug also doesn't actually fizzle the spell, which is the other "oh that must be what happens" interpretation.

The bug is that if you have a burn spell that divides damage on the stack, and then while this is on the stack ANY target of ANY effect/spell becomes illegal anywhere in the game, that burn spell deals 0 damage to all targets. It doesn't fizzle, all other parts of the burn spell still resolves correctly, it just changes the damage to 0. You can target a random 1/1 token with a spell and then sacrifice the token in response, which will cause the 8 damage pointed at your two big creatures to become 0 from Shatterskull Smashing.

It is mindboggling why this bug would ever happen in the first place, and also apparently this has been reported like 4 months ago and never addressed, so it's not some new discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
some genius put "rather than crash the game, become 0" somewhere to meet a deadline and then they got covid and died. no one else can read the code.