Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Pan Am also has a mechanic I generally enjoy and appreciate: round-robin action selection, followed by action resolution in a fixed order. (Dominant Species and BUS are other examples of this)

It works really well in Pan Am and gives the game a depth that otherwise wouldn't be present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

Biggest hotness is Ark Nova, Capstone Games publisher. It's been delayed to mid April for retail because of shipping issues but if you don't mind paying MSRP you can get it now from Capstone Games.

How are the cards handled / what role do they play gameplay-wise in Ark Nova? Frankly a big stack of cards (each of which looks to have a bunch of text and special rules) was originally a turn-off for me so I glossed over Ark Nova originally, but it sounds like maybe it's not what I feared.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Also, even though I fully enthusiastically proselytized the Fourth box, SHCD: The Baker Street Irregulars, I don't know that game would be be all that much fun alone. Two minds mean you can support each other when you miss things, work out theories, read aloud, etc.

I would also point out that it's a good game to try with certain non-board game enthusiasts, given that it's a detective story / logic puzzle moreso than a traditional board game.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm a big fan of Pan Am too as a nice light Euro-style game. I find it plays best at 3, but is still fun at 2 & 4.

For solo gaming, I've become obsessed with Spirit Island. It's a co-op game, so you can play single-handed all the way up to four-handed (or six-handed if you get the Jagged Earth expansion, I suppose). A deep, very replayable game without unnecessary cruft or complexity (not to say it isn't complex, just that the complexity serves a purpose for fun) -- and it's fun with other people playing it too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Eyes Have It posted:

How are the cards handled / what role do they play gameplay-wise in Ark Nova? Frankly a big stack of cards (each of which looks to have a bunch of text and special rules) was originally a turn-off for me so I glossed over Ark Nova originally, but it sounds like maybe it's not what I feared.

It is a big stack of cards with a bunch of text that's for certain. However the reason we have liked it is that the cards seem reasonably balanced, we love the theme, it's a fairly easy teach, and there are interesting decisions. Note that I don't like Terraforming Mars but the cards are similar I think. The game is mostly the cards but you need to have a plan. I thought Rahdo's Final Thoughts were good (noting he does them in his usual overly enthusiastic style). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsWGfUjCM8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Wrath of the Lich King is apparently waiting for me when I get home today.

So will give that a burl tomorrow alongg with Nemesis and posts thoughts.
It's a 'Pandemic System' game, so will be curious how it plays.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

It is a big stack of cards with a bunch of text that's for certain. However the reason we have liked it is that the cards seem reasonably balanced, we love the theme, it's a fairly easy teach, and there are interesting decisions. Note that I don't like Terraforming Mars but the cards are similar I think. The game is mostly the cards but you need to have a plan. I thought Rahdo's Final Thoughts were good (noting he does them in his usual overly enthusiastic style). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsWGfUjCM8

Thanks, that and the video link was pretty helpful in filling in the blanks for me. (I see it's on Tabletopia too, so there's a kind-of digital option for trying it out.)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I really like the queuing system in Ark Nova, where abilities get more powerful the longer you wait to use them

It's probably going to be one of my next pickups

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

I really like the queuing system in Ark Nova, where abilities get more powerful the longer you wait to use them

It sounds a bit like Conan (if I remember it correctly) except in that the minions get cheaper to use if you wait longer to use them instead of being better.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Note: the publisher of Final Girl also features in the naughty list in the OP due to endorsing crypto bullshit, and apparently continues to try to pump up that downline.

Ah poo poo I missed that bit my bad. Admittedly I haven't seen much about Van Ryder games before this kickstarter so wasn't actively looking.
:(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

It sounds a bit like Conan (if I remember it correctly) except in that the minions get cheaper to use if you wait longer to use them instead of being better.

It's exactly the same as the system in Civilization: A New Dawn, which is a surprisingly good MWE for a Fantasy Flight game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s the basic concept of stacking coins on an unused action except each action has levels, right? It used to get a coin, now it’s just a level two action. It’s not innovative, but at least it’s new(ish).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Setup for game day complete. Love a good table filler

Now to get in the mood imma watch a fun film about a Boy and his favourite pal, Egg

They're inseparable.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Now to get in the mood imma watch a fun film about a Boy and his favourite pal, Egg

They're inseparable.

I enjoyed Nemesis but the colour scheme they used I think while thematically appropriate is really annoying to look at and I recall it being difficult to do a quick glance at the board and tell the difference between things. I will admit I played it in someone's backyard and the sun was kinda making it tough to see everything perfectly but it's something that stuck with me.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FulsomFrank posted:

I enjoyed Nemesis but the colour scheme they used I think while thematically appropriate is really annoying to look at and I recall it being difficult to do a quick glance at the board and tell the difference between things. I will admit I played it in someone's backyard and the sun was kinda making it tough to see everything perfectly but it's something that stuck with me.

Also the cards just completely dissolve into pulp as soon as you touch them. Granted, I did play it in the bathtub.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My mate has the neoprene mat for nemesis that replaces the board. It's good because, unlike the board, it isn't insanely glossy so you can actually see things on it without needing to play in twilight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Infinitum posted:

My copy of Wrath of the Lich King is apparently waiting for me when I get home today.

So will give that a burl tomorrow alongg with Nemesis and posts thoughts.
It's a 'Pandemic System' game, so will be curious how it plays.

My copy of Return to Dark Tower with all the addons and miniatures and everything is out for delivery. I'll try to get a some posts up for it tonight or tomorrow.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also the cards just completely dissolve into pulp as soon as you touch them. Granted, I did play it in the bathtub.

should have played too many bones instead

rookie mistake

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My copy of Return to Dark Tower with all the addons and miniatures and everything is out for delivery. I'll try to get a some posts up for it tonight or tomorrow.

A friend of mine just played it, he said the tower is the most over-engineered board game component he's seen (with maybe the exception of Forbidden Skies) but in the best possible way. Sounds like he had fun with it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is Ginkopolis still worth owning/playing today? I see that copies are back in stock and I was curious if's held up or is another title that has been surpassed?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Filler games get a bad rap, that looks suitably complex

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have no idea why filler games get a bad rap. I really really dislike that. Light games are perfectly fine and some are great games. Play what you enjoy. Not everyone wants to come home from a hard, difficult day at work and then turn around and play Food Chain Magnate. Sometimes or maybe always you want to relax and have a nice chill time.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I suspect there's a disconnect between table filler and time filler here.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mine was just delivered!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Where are my solo gamers at? Talk to me about my options.

Have you heard about our Lord and Savior Spirit Island?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And I am immediately 12 years old again

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

It's pretty drat fun!

The Tower pulls a neat trick - you feel like you're playing against it instead of against an app.

Speaking of, the app covers about exactly the right amount of territory as I'd want. You don't need to track fiddly poo poo in it - it's still mostly physical components - but it offloads the complex poo poo very admirably. The gameplay itself is very simple, in the end, but in a good way

e: lmao that Titan 'mini'. "Here, just put a big Ken Doll on your map."

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nyan Island $30 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085WC6GZG/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've full auto'd twice this game so far, with full clips of 6.

Done max damage both times for 6 and turned Intruders into paste

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

Is Ginkopolis still worth owning/playing today? I see that copies are back in stock and I was curious if's held up or is another title that has been surpassed?

I'll be able to tell you in a few days. Just got a cheap copy and after reading the rulebook I am optimistic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've only played online. It's good! Hard to figure out how the draft really works though, I'd bet it's better in person.

Fair warning, I've heard that 4p is barely worth playing, 2-3p is where it's at, I've only played 3p.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nemesis Round 2 ended in a Jolly Cooperation Victory

Everybody achieved their victory conditions, and we all safely evac'd the Nemesis even though it was heading to Mars
Ended up corpsing 5 Aliens by myself as the soldier just by rolling hilarious well. Full Auto + fully unlocked gun = 6 hits, pulled that off 3 times.
It became perfectly clear after about round 2 that mine and the Captains goals aligned (I had to get research 2 weaknesses, and the Captain 1 and send the signal)

Managed to clear the path to the escape pods, only to pick up 3 contamination cards, having to go back to surgery again.
The Queen decided to show up and had to be cattle prod'd out the door.
Got off with 1 round to spare.

1 of my players couldn't make it, so it was a 4 player game.
We are going to joke that he's the reason the 1st game was so disastrous :v:

I like Nemesis. I will be happy to play more Nemesis.
Would like to have a Lads Day for Nemesis so it can get very vicious.

-----------------------------

Next up was Sheriff of Nottingham.
I played this 2 times with 1 group of friends years ago and it... didn't click, it wasn't fun and it has sat on my shelf unplayed for a few years.
I've wanted to sell it for a while now.

However playing with my current group of players was a HELL of a lot more fun as they actually got into the roleplay a bit

Made out like a bandit on some deals as Sheriff, but in the end lost out by a few points.
...so... I might keep it around for a bit now.

----------------------------

You might have seen the Iron Clay poker chips in the above photo, they worked an absolute treat for Chinatown
I absolutely adore this game, as I've got a pretty good head for math, but again had played it in the past with people who weren't into it - tonight it was perfectly.

Every player knew it was just open ended trading, and there were some hilarious 3 way trades made for future promises.

Managed to end up with 2 completed 6 businesses in round 3 which was raking in 280k a round
But one player made 2 very bad trades, above and beyond the payout, which bankrolled the winning player to the point noone could touch them.

I love Chinatown a lot, I wish I could play it more.
(Almost talked Mum into playing with us, which would have been interesting)

-----------------------------

Finally managed to get Quacks of Quidellenberg to the table after winning it in a contest last year.

(You can tell I'm doing amazingly on pushing my luck, as I had 17 rats ahead of me)

We absolutely beefed it on some rules (Potions exploded on an 8 and higher, not 7 and higher)
But man this game is a blast to play, want to get it back for a few rounds back to back with different recipes out.

Genie from Aladdin with fat lips

----------------------------

Capped the evening off with a quick game of No Thanks!
Almost got a chain of 10 cards, but yeah nah hard to beat a 7 with a total of 36 lol

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I played through a solo game of Return to Dark Tower. It is good, but for the cost you could most likely get 3-5 similar games. I was also impressed by the tower. It felt less like a gimmick and more like an essential component. Technically everything it does could be accomplished with cards and dice, but it would be fiddly. The tower and app feel very polished.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Quacks of Quidellenberg

We absolutely beefed it on some rules (Potions exploded on an 8 and higher, not 7 and higher)

That's correct - you're still safe at 7. In your pic you can see the iconography for white chips total > 7 = explode

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Quacks has one of the easiest DIY "deluxe" upgrades - 21mm coin capsules fit the ingredient chips perfectly and makes it way more satisfying to pull them from the bag. Definitely worth a look if you plan on playing a lot (it also helps stop chips getting stuck in the bottom corners of the bag).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got around to playing Res Arcana and this game is legit. I can see the heritage of games like MtG in there, but it's definitely its own thing with a lot of clever implementation. The digital version on BGA is especially nice to learn from since the computer handles the upkeep, therefore intrinsically teaching/demonstrating the finer points of spending, etc.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
What would you lot say is the most accessible 18XX game?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BinaryDoubts posted:

Quacks has one of the easiest DIY "deluxe" upgrades - 21mm coin capsules fit the ingredient chips perfectly and makes it way more satisfying to pull them from the bag. Definitely worth a look if you plan on playing a lot (it also helps stop chips getting stuck in the bottom corners of the bag).

Or the baller Bakelite tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally got around to playing Res Arcana and this game is legit. I can see the heritage of games like MtG in there, but it's definitely its own thing with a lot of clever implementation. The digital version on BGA is especially nice to learn from since the computer handles the upkeep, therefore intrinsically teaching/demonstrating the finer points of spending, etc.

It's a brilliant game, one of those designs that's so streamlined with no wasted space or time. Probably played it 20+ times on BGA.