Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

:lmao:

Btw, do you hang out or just lurk on any Russian forums? I used to nnm.ru I think but gave up at least a decade ago when it seemed to be full of broke brained truthers and other nutjobs. I wonder sometimes if they're all like this.

Ways back I used to moderate Goha.ru and hang around bunch of other gaming communities (eve-sru, dd, etcetera), as well as some LiveJournals and VK publics, but over time I kind of drifted away from that, after I moved out from parental home. Not even really connected to the quality of interactions that I was getting.

In my experience with Russian internet users, Goha being quite busy in heyday, they’re same as everywhere else. Plenty of normal people, some crazies - nothing unusual. If anything, I prefer Russian crazies to Anglo crazies, because worst case American scenario is someone trying to SWAT you, whereas that salty gently caress from Belarus will just diligently reply to you with «да завали ты ебало уже» for 8 years. And vatniks usually are extremely upfront about their intentions.

a podcast for cats posted:

Buckwheat chat should really be going in the other EE thread, imo. Mostly because I want to share a simple af buckwheat plov recipe that's on my rotation, but can't bring myself to do it here.

Just post it there. :justpost:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

They got it from their partner, Tass.

Sounds like a solid journalism plan to me.

woodenchicken posted:

There's also a Telegram channel Neural Meduza if you're in the mood for something REAL trippy.

Link, please.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I'm figuring a fair amount of rope-a-dope is going on. Ukraine is using just enough force to use up the Russian forces, and keeping as much back as possible.

Once the Russians are spent, the reserves go into action.

I'd actually be surprised if they many operational reserves right now. They have a reduced brigade holding the road to Odessa against 9-12 BTGs at the moment, for example. I imagine that unit got reinforced with territorial defense units a bit, but ultimately it's not that great a situation. If they truly did get those 30 helicopters on the ground (out of...58?) that would help, of course.

In general, the Ukrainians seem to be pretty good at limited spoiling counter-attacks. That artillery strike against the tank regiment is a good example. Every time you shoot you expose yourself to counter-battery fire (which Russia is supposedly Very Good at, though OSINT doesn't have anything on counter-battery yet that's I've seen). They got a BTG clustered up, dropped a battery-one or battery-two on it, killed/disabled a couple vehicles, and forced them to scurry back. They're not over-committing or over-extending in these counter-attacks, though, at least as far as I've seen.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I'm figuring a fair amount of rope-a-dope is going on. Ukraine is using just enough force to use up the Russian forces, and keeping as much back as possible.

Once the Russians are spent, the reserves go into action.

Anyone who thought there would be a war thought that the way it would go would be:

1) Rapid Ukranian collapse as mass fires and then Russian deep operational penetrations encircle and destroy their standing army; or
2) Some kind of fighting retreat to the Dnipier and an evacuation of the East of the country.

Ukraine appears to be getting churned up just as much as Russia but with less to start with, but the fact that they not only stood their ground and Kharkiv but have prevented a rapid envelopment of the city is so far off what any of the armchair generals would have predicted the course of events to be.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The western basin isn’t even fully in Ukrainian territory. Opening that one up would have to be a joint venture between 2-5 countries.

If only there was some sort of economic integration union that could possibly cover the whole of Europe

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://t.me/neural_meduza

Not enough "What? Yes!" to feel authentic.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Anglo news and reporting is often really dire. You need to speak other languages.

I've been binging a lot of Arte. They have people in Ukraine as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Alchenar posted:

Anyone who thought there would be a war thought that the way it would go would be:

1) Rapid Ukranian collapse as mass fires and then Russian deep operational penetrations encircle and destroy their standing army; or
2) Some kind of fighting retreat to the Dnipier and an evacuation of the East of the country.

Ukraine appears to be getting churned up just as much as Russia but with less to start with, but the fact that they not only stood their ground and Kharkiv but have prevented a rapid envelopment of the city is so far off what any of the armchair generals would have predicted the course of events to be.

Yeah, I'll put myself firmly in the camp of under-estimating rasputitsa and over-estimating the Russian army's ability to maneuver, coordinate fires, and use an air force.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And another one: it looks like that 1st Tank Brigade holding at Chernihiv that I think we all assumed was going to be enveloped and destroyed pretty quickly might instead have wrecked the plan to surround Kiev.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1502041637962371080

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Гречка, plenty of butter and salt, and a fried egg on top will get you very far.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antigravitas posted:

Anglo news and reporting is often really dire. You need to speak other languages.

I've been binging a lot of Arte. They have people in Ukraine as well.

That’s what I have something awful and all you EE goons for

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Here, watch this: Ukraine: Resisting the Agressor

There's a catapult near the end.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Alchenar posted:

And another one: it looks like that 1st Tank Brigade holding at Chernihiv that I think we all assumed was going to be enveloped and destroyed pretty quickly might instead have wrecked the plan to surround Kiev.

This is interesting. I know we can't know why exactly but could it signal a sort of retreat for Putin? Unless they were scared they were about to get wrecked.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I'd highly doubt it's a retreat. Putin's definitely in too deep to straight up back out. They must be going back to be redeployed.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

awesome-express posted:

Russia is good at misinformation. After working at FB for 3.5 years I no longer believe any news articles I read. Everybody puts their own spin on everything it's really hard to find a good source of truth unless it's a reliable source. But as we see above, Reuters got swindled by some Russian misinfo. It's really difficult to weigh the news.
They're not good at misinformation, people just need to stop being dumb. Like, some kind of media literacy class should be mandatory in schools. "Facebook now allows hate speech" is about as believable as "we're invading Ukraine to pre-empt Ukrainian nazis striking us with bioweapons". Whoever allowed that to be published on Reuters should lose their job, because they're clearly not qualified for it.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

SaTaMaS posted:

it is easier to imagine the end of russia than the end of capitalism

KitConstantine posted:

So how are things going in Russia?
https://twitter.com/niktwick/status/1501990063940452353?t=xWVhyut-U35_FbvhfsfyDQ&s=19
(It's a long one but worth a read imo)

...Not great Bob!

Yeah my money’s on capitalism on this one.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Alchenar posted:

Whoops! Turns out our last three supply shipments were found burned and gutted. maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Capitalism is already 1-0 against russia

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It’s worrying that a lot of people are assuming Russia gets to keep the Donbass and Crimiea after all of this. Russia has done nothing to make their occupation legitimate or sustainable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eh, I myself still have intensely mixed feelings about the general sanctions on Russia

Omar is prone to excessively spicy takes but I'm not sure this is one of them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baronjutter posted:

She supports BDS, so only Palestinians have a right to defend themselves? I think it's just american-exceptionalism anti-imperialism brainworms you see out of a lot of the US "left". Their brains short out at the idea of the US or a US ally not being the bad guy.

in fairness I'm also not sold on BDS

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Conspiratiorist posted:

That BBC piece on Kharkiv is the single best bit of professional reporting I've seen out of the war yet.

Which is why Tories are actively trying to destroy BBC.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

fnox posted:

I'd highly doubt it's a retreat. Putin's definitely in too deep to straight up back out. They must be going back to be redeployed.

Or could they be pulling back out of chemical weapons deployment range? :smith:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I guess Russia is working on advancing their tank camouflage during this lull
https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1502050143914315777?t=V9-otWqqAVJTNhZ5EBp70A&s=19
...ignore the bright red flag it's not important

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreyjoyBastard posted:

eh, I myself still have intensely mixed feelings about the general sanctions on Russia

Omar is prone to excessively spicy takes but I'm not sure this is one of them

Out of genuine curiosity, what do you consider to be one of her 'excessively spicy' takes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/joanna_szostek/status/1501874969311068161

Not doubting here, but has anyone got a clip of this by hand?

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1502007834594222080

EU presser on Russian energy dependency.

https://twitter.com/dalperovitch/status/1502024366313328645

Looks like the conversation is moving from giving Ukraine jets to giving them more serious anti-air gear.

woodenchicken posted:

https://t.me/neural_meduza

Not enough "What? Yes!" to feel authentic.

:laffo: thank you!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Or could they be pulling back out of chemical weapons deployment range? :smith:

No, this is a strategic-level move.

It's like worrying chemical weapons would be used in Houston because troops are pulling out of Dallas.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fnox posted:

Probably being pulled back to try and shore up the South. I think the current plan might be to give up on the frankly suicidal plan to attack Kyiv and try and solidify their land bridge, although that might not end well either. The Russians are probably desperate for any kind of a win so they can save some face.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is interesting. I know we can't know why exactly but could it signal a sort of retreat for Putin? Unless they were scared they were about to get wrecked.

I did some high-level staff work for you:

Basically of all the advances going on it's the longest, using the worst roads, and is absolutely surrounded by population centres full of angry Ukranians who have presumably been mobilising and using their fancy AT weapons.

It might also be a bad sign for the guys at Chernihiv, if they've been cut off by a push down the M102 then that would explain why the Russians would decide there's no point committing further to the other advance that doesn't have much prospect of achieving anything.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1502050143914315777?t=V9-otWqqAVJTNhZ5EBp70A&s=19

How much precedent is there for an attacking army deciding to switch their flag mid-invasion?

Is this some sort of mutiny or just young soldiers being stupid?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like the conversation is moving from giving Ukraine jets to giving them more serious anti-air gear.

:laffo: thank you!

About drat time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How much precedent is there for an attacking army deciding to switch their flag mid-invasion?

This is being done intentionally to invoke good memories of USSR with older people, and to bully the government of Ukraine.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

Casually charging into Ukraine in a tank under a flag associated with imperialism and ethnic cleansing expecting to be greeted as a liberator.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

There Bias Two posted:

That's just Soviet T-72. It was around since the first day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMOMOSx2nI

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Comstar posted:

It’s worrying that a lot of people are assuming Russia gets to keep the Donbass and Crimiea after all of this. Russia has done nothing to make their occupation legitimate or sustainable.

Being There tends to matter when it comes to negotiations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's just Soviet T-72. It was around since the first day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMOMOSx2nI

Oh, just some terminal vatnik then.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

There Bias Two posted:

Considering the kind of things my father-in-law recently been told me he got up to while dealing with the Soviets and East Germans in the Berlin Corridor... almost certainly the latter.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Comstar posted:

Russia doesn't deserve it, no, but at some point the calculus for Ukraine becomes "we can keep fighting, and maybe even win, but thousands of our civilians are dying every day."

Also it's within reason that Putin might end up settling for something he can spin as a win, for example maybe Ukraine keeping the separatist areas as "autonomous regions" with their own local government. But there's no way he could spin losing Crimea as a win, so it probably isn't on the table in any circumstance other than the Russian army completely collapsing and either captured by the tens of thousands or fleeing back to Russia starving and having dropped their weapons.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Regardless of international legality, Crimea has been completely internalized as Russian territory, and is the HQ of the Black Sea Fleet, so there's zero chance of it being retaken - it'd be a red line for negotiations and an attempt on it by force is the kind of move that'd have Russian forces bust out the real nasty toys if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OddObserver posted:

^^^^
USSR did have a few space stations with cannons on them. And they tried to send up a space death last that failed in a hilarious way.

It's a joke. Little Ginny is clearly a pacificist.

you say this but we're going to find a video of this thing dropping a mortar shell on a russian apc in a month