Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bremen posted:

Russia doesn't deserve it, no, but at some point the calculus for Ukraine becomes "we can keep fighting, and maybe even win, but thousands of our civilians are dying every day."

Also it's within reason that Putin might end up settling for something he can spin as a win, for example maybe Ukraine keeping the separatist areas as "autonomous regions" with their own local government. But there's no way he could spin losing Crimea as a win, so it probably isn't on the table in any circumstance other than the Russian army completely collapsing and either captured by the tens of thousands or fleeing back to Russia starving and having dropped their weapons.
Yeah as illegitimate as the occupation is, there's no way of getting it back short of complete russian collapse. Maybe in a few years they'll vote to join Ukraine, and Russia would of course let them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This might be out of the scope of this thread, but why does Russia get to control Kaliningrad forever? Shouldn't it belong to one of the Baltic countries? Or Poland?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Today's briefing: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-10

Key points

quote:

The likelihood is increasing that Ukrainian forces could fight to a standstill the Russian ground forces attempting to encircle and take Kyiv. Russian forces also appear to be largely stalemated around Kharkiv and distracted from efforts to seize that city.

quote:

A new Russian invasion from western Belarus, with or without Belarusian ground forces’ support, appears increasingly unlikely.

quote:

The apparent failure of Russian forces’ attacks on March 8-9 after reconstituting and preparing during the operational pause and resupply efforts of the past several days supports the Ukrainian General Staff assessments that Russian forces have far less effective combat power around the capital than their numbers would suggest.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah as illegitimate as the occupation is, there's no way of getting it back short of complete russian collapse. Maybe in a few years they'll vote to join Ukraine, and Russia would of course let them.

In a few years Ukraine might be flooded with so much foreign aid they might be the South Korea of Europe

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Kraftwerk posted:

This might be out of the scope of this thread, but why does Russia get to control Kaliningrad forever? Shouldn't it belong to one of the Baltic countries? Or Poland?

It was offered to Lithuania back in the early USSR days and Lithuania refused because they didn't want to give a bunch of Russians citizenship. Now obviously Russia enjoys having land inside of Europe where they can put a bunch of military stuff to piss off NATO. It's filled with their newest S-400s in case they want to shoot down everything flying in Europe.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 11, 2022

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

TulliusCicero posted:

In a few years Ukraine might be flooded with so much foreign aid they might be the South Korea of Europe

Complete with massive DMZ and weird love hate relationship with their isolated hermit neighbour.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Majorian posted:

Shocking and horrifying news about the Ukrainian government...they are pushing woke ideologies.

https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1501958391173894146

I'm so sorry to be the one to convey this terrible news.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

A disability and trans activist I really respect just retweeted this onto my timeline:

https://twitter.com/ungnyeodongji/status/1501410334069960704?s=20&t=kuv3wqeGk3vNzSz9JtLLHA

Which is... confusing but not entirely wrong? And then I go to the retweeted person's page and she's a tankie and like two tweets down she loving denying the Holdomer and YIKES.

What about this war that is breaking people's brains???

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I think so as well, if Ukraine survives this it's because Russia as it currently operates will not, and Ukraine will become an EU restoration and integration project for the next few decades. If Ukraine can hold out until Russia is crippled by sanctions, they will become a new integral part of the EU for the foreseeable future.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Communism is bad

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Communism is bad

Kleptocratic Authoritarism is bad.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/bdmurray/status/1502026508679979013?s=21

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

awesome-express posted:

Communism is bad

No. Not an argument for this thread though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Twincityhacker posted:

A disability and trans activist I really respect just retweeted this onto my timeline:

https://twitter.com/ungnyeodongji/status/1501410334069960704?s=20&t=kuv3wqeGk3vNzSz9JtLLHA

Which is... confusing but not entirely wrong? And then I go to the person's page and she's a tankie and like two tweets down she loving denying the Holdomer and YIKES.

parts of the left online/in general has massive problems with Foreign policy poo poo and "libs are the truest enemy over nazis/chuds/imperial powers that arnt america". its also alot of irony poisoning and other poo poo thats basicaly the "lefty" equivilant of what happened to morons on 4chan and them becoming nazis. they became Red chuds. gently caress em, i say.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rad Russian posted:

It was offered to Lithuania back in the early USSR days and Lithuania refused because they didn't want to give a bunch of Russians citizenship. Now obviously Russia enjoys having land inside of Europe where they can put a bunch of military stuff to piss off NATO. It's filled with their newest S-400s in case they want to shoot down everything flying in Europe.

Okay, how many of them actually work?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Bunch of woke nazis these Ukrainians are

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Which is... confusing but not entirely wrong? And then I go to the retweeted person's page and she's a tankie and like two tweets down she loving denying the Holdomer and YIKES.

Morons across the political spectrum hang on to their fantasy perception of Russia as a anti-imperialist force.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

Russia being an unabashedly imperialist aggressor means mental gymnastics

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Twincityhacker posted:

If they are denying the Holdomer they are completely insane. Sorry you had to find out this way

Ukraine really threading the needle as "woke Nazis" and "leftists" siding with the Autocratic Regime Who Did Nothing Wrong tm

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

TulliusCicero posted:

Okay, how many of them actually work?

I'm sure the local unit commanders sold off all the parts already on the black market in Europe as they don't expect to ever actually get the order to fire them. If they do... ooops.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kraftwerk posted:

It's a german province that Russia occupied during WW2 and afterwards they got to keep it.

That region has a looong history of changing hands, and at its peak it was actually half of the kingdom of Prussia, ruling over the German Empire. After WW1 it became a German exclave, with a part of Prussia going to Poland and a part to Lithuania.
after WW2 the Potsdam Agreement included officially transferring that region to the USSR, Stalin then split up Prussia into Kaliningrad Oblast (Russia, to have an ice-free port in the Baltic under direct control), a part to Poland, and a part to Lithuania, and renamed the capital Konigsberg to Kaliningrad:

After that nothing changed really (the USSR dissolved, but this is a Russian oblast so it remained Russian).

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

If they are denying the Holdomer they are completely insane.

And/or a mod of somethingawful.com

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Despera fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 11, 2022

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Twincityhacker posted:

Lots of people desperately want at least one of the enormous powers that decide everything on earth to be good.

Unfortunately,

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

E: NVM I misinterpreted what you said. Your buddy just retweeted the Juche person.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 11, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sure how you follow this person without realizing they're an unironic Juche adherent. It's right there in their bio.

Is that that insane Tankie Mel that made the rounds of the internet a year ago?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Kraftwerk posted:

It’s Germany if we are playing the “my historic borders are eternal” game.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

It’s Germany if we are playing the “my historic borders are eternal” game.

Ssshh, let the sleeping HRE borders lie.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Was this posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7L4MhRkTQ

Guide to driving Russian T-72 & other tanks, in case you find one abandoned or whatever :v:

(Note auto-generated captions & also auto translate for them)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've had to mute so many people on social media due to their bad takes on Ukraine, and I've given up trying to debate with most of the Tankier types. It's like they are locked in some kind of cult mindset that's driven a wedge through their critical thinking skills. No amount of facts, evidence, patience and debunking can get them to sway from repeating their pre-programmed points. It's loving weird...

The sad thing is that I've taken part in real life protests with some of these people, most notably against the EDL back in the day. They consider themselves antifascist, and left wing... yet are backing and supporting a far-right fascist dictatorship that's hell bent on genocide? I genuinely don't get it...

I'm glad to see that ASBMilitary has been suspended. That seemed to be these people's favourite 'news' source.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Twincityhacker posted:

its not the war, its the internet. spending too much time on social media will break your brain. the motto of this website is "the internet makes you stupid" and it is true. if you think the internet won't make you (yes, YOU) stupid, then it is already too late

this war isn't the cause, it is only the catalyst. it invites people to double down on really absurd opinions in order to achieve the most important goal in life, which is winning arguments online against strangers who believe fundamentally the same things you do

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Twincityhacker posted:

Which is... confusing but not entirely wrong?

I mean, it's pretty much wrong too because look what happened when the OG fascists attacked the USSR.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, it's pretty much wrong too because look what happened when the OG fascists attacked the USSR.

you also have to ignore that the communists joined forces with the fascists and only fought them when they got betrayed lawl

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Kraftwerk posted:

The new Polish communist government wanted it as part of the border adjustments post-WWII that gave it most of East Prussia but Stalin put in a claim on it as early as the Tehran conference in 1943 and the Western Allies agreed it could become Soviet territory. At this point changing that would be as legitimate as changing any other elements of the post-WWII border revisions. No one wants to open that can of worms, especially since ethnically the oblast is now 85%+ Russian and Russia wants to keep it.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 11, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Twincityhacker posted:

What I am really failing to understand here is who are the communists supposed to be? Russia hasn't been a communist country in decades. Russia has never been a communist country under Putin. Russia's entire structure under Putin has been very very far from communist, so who does this person actually think "the libs" are rooting against?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone who is describing Putin's regime as "Communist" or otherwise saying there are actual communists on either side of this war (whether to support them as good or condemn them as bad) has just totally lost touch with reality. I'm not sure there's much more to say on that subject.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The problem with the Kaliningrad oblast is that neither Poland or Lithuania really have a connection to it. Before the expulsion of germans after WW2 it has been majority german speaking for like 600 years and now it's almost entirely Russian speaking. I don't think there's ever really been a ethnically polish or Lithuanian presence there.
Also Russia doesn't wanna give it up anymore

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Twincityhacker posted:

It's the first direct, guns blazing, sort-of-peer challenge to Fukuyama's liberal world order. Putin even says so, both when he's talking about a multipolar world and also rolling back unnatural Western degeneracy (i.e. gays and trans and whatnot). A lot of people have been grinding an axe against liberalism for years and see this as the chance to get the boot in. Most of those people Putin would happily gas, but they don't seem to mind.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its not the war, its the internet. spending too much time on social media will break your brain. the motto of this website is "the internet makes you stupid" and it is true. if you think the internet won't make you (yes, YOU) stupid, then it is already too late

this war isn't the cause, it is only the catalyst. it invites people to double down on really absurd opinions in order to achieve the most important goal in life, which is winning arguments online against strangers who believe fundamentally the same things you do

You're being too naive.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone who is describing Putin's regime as "Communist" or otherwise saying there are actual communists on either side of this war (whether to support them as good or condemn them as bad) has just totally lost touch with reality. I'm not sure there's much more to say on that subject.

It's the same people who defend China and North Korea's bs because they are just "against the west"

They are usful idiots throughout the political spectrum, and Russia's shotgun approach to propaganda hits them all

Capitalism blows and the US does a lot of hosed up things, but going full on Stalinist is a broke brain response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

Which is... confusing but not entirely wrong?
Who's communist in the current conflict? An imperalist kleptocracy (with some fascist groups) is invading a corrupt democracy (with some fascist groups). The kleptocracy is wasting their young men's lives, and killing/shelling civilians indiscriminately.