Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
2 Grav Traps, one set low and one set high, placed in the kelp forest with a couple of pieces of debris scattered around is a god-send in the early game. Plenty of fish, teeth, as well as odds and ends right next to my base. Figuring out the Grav-traps really made survival a lot easier at the start.

edit: Grav-trap snipe!

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah they pick up teeth which have already dropped, and also pick up resource chunks and debris which are around. Stalkers who come to swipe that to play with it might shed a tooth doing so, it’s a very beneficial feedback loop.

I’ve never set up a double trap though, I bet that’s pretty funny to watch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Why are y'all talking up teeth as such a boon? Do they do anything other than the one recipe?

I just set my scanner near the forest to teeth and boom got more than I'd need the rest of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need teeth for enameled glass which you need for a lot of late game things. If you didn't realize this early and stock up it's easy to be faced with needing tons of teeth and no fast way to get them due to the weird way they get created.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

and the weird way they half the time inaccessibly fall through the geometry of the sea floor, and yet still show up on scanners :argh:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

MrGreenShirt posted:

and the weird way they half the time inaccessibly fall through the geometry of the sea floor, and yet still show up on scanners :argh:

This right here is the thing, my first run where I got to serious depth I spent a ton of time trying to find a cave system with a bunch of teeth in it only to realize they were all under the terrain.

A grav ball might even have be able to pull most of those out of the terrain!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stalker teeth can usually be found in piles under the floating scrap metal stacks that build up in the middle of Stalker territory.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stalker teeth can usually be found in piles under the floating scrap metal stacks that build up in the middle of Stalker territory.

Yeah, I just grabbed about 20 and put them in a locker and kept waiting to do something other than enameled glass. I made maybe 10 enameled glass the entire game, so just kept shaking the tooth locker going "c'mon, do something..."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My wife and I are playing this game together but separately. I'm on Switch, she's on PC (and I'm jealous af about that, game is beautiful on a modern rig.)

I'm playing this all for the second time, but it's her first time. Now, neither one of us has gotten the beacon location for the 500m Degasi base in the bulb fortress. What gives? How do I unlock the actual beacon?

I'm not interested in going down there on my own, I (generally) know how to get there. I just find it weird that neither one of us has gotten whatever story-related thing that points us there naturally.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maybe it was found in the Jellyshroom cave base? I might be misremembering but I felt that every base had a breadcrumb to the next one in their timeline.

I definitely remember the Jellyshroom base having some thing I needed to search the wiki for, as it was hiding behind an ajar door.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Maybe it was found in the Jellyshroom cave base? I might be misremembering but I felt that every base had a breadcrumb to the next one in their timeline.

I definitely remember the Jellyshroom base having some thing I needed to search the wiki for, as it was hiding behind an ajar door.

Well, I searched there the first time this playthrough, and was pretty thorough, so was my wife. Maybe we still missed something, but I just learned that she completely missed the middle Degasi base on the south island (the base that's lower than and in between the two that are on the hills). I didn't miss it, and thought I checked it thoroughly, but I guess I'll go back to both spots.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hmm, I marked it, but forget.
Lemme see
In the Jellyshrrom cave base, that first room look straight back and to the left there should be a locker partially open.
Try looking in that?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Serephina posted:

This is correct, it's in a locker which is half closed in the jellyshroom base. I know this because my first time through the game I never noticed it and therefore never got the waypoint to the second degasi base. I was trying not to use the wiki which meant I never found it or knew about the convenient entrance to the lost river right near it. That one pda makes the whole flow of the game much more straightforward.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, slap my rear end and call me Maida, that's it. That's where it is.

Good god, I can't believe I didn't check there.

Thank you all!!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, slap my rear end and call me Maida, that's it. That's where it is.

Good god, I can't believe I didn't check there.

Thank you all!!

Same thing happened to me. I never found it until I basically finished everything under 600m. Would have saved me a lot of fruitless searching for lost river entrances.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Now I'm trying to find that one Degasi recording where one of them is talking about Paul going deeper because he swore he saw something down there. Any ideas?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Now I'm trying to find that one Degasi recording where one of them is talking about Paul going deeper because he swore he saw something down there. Any ideas?
Maybe it was one of the data logs that was only during part of Early Access? I know they shuffled some things around like the Stasis rifle formerly saying "Because this is so weak, make sure you get a conventional weapon to defend yourself with", and I have never been able to find The one about Marguerit harvesting teeth anymore.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

IIRC that one is outside but nearby the second habitat, somewhere on the foundations or a ledge underneath it

E: actually I'm thinking of the final Bart log, I think you meant a different one. If it's not in or outside the jellyshroom base there's one or two that are on random sets of foundations with lights on deeper into the jellyshroom cave

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^ Yeah, I have the final, trailer-voice Bart log. I'm fairly sure the log I'm looking for is Paul's last one.

Section Z posted:

Maybe it was one of the data logs that was only during part of Early Access? I know they shuffled some things around like the Stasis rifle formerly saying "Because this is so weak, make sure you get a conventional weapon to defend yourself with", and I have never been able to find The one about Marguerit harvesting teeth anymore.

Definitely not early access, since I played this game for the first time last May.

Also, I have the Marguerite log you mentioned.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Edit: ^^^^^ Yeah, I have the final, trailer-voice Bart log. I'm fairly sure the log I'm looking for is Paul's last one.

Definitely not early access, since I played this game for the first time last May.

Huh, go figure. I must have probably zoomed right past it on replays then :downs:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I had a game with a few hours in it before and I remember having a bit of a base going, so I started again to relearn how to play. What...the heck do you do after you repair the escape pod. Is that the point where the game "starts" and I can just go play now that I have the fabricator, or is there another thing I'm missing? I don't want to skip unlocking anything right at the start

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Inspector Hound posted:

I had a game with a few hours in it before and I remember having a bit of a base going, so I started again to relearn how to play. What...the heck do you do after you repair the escape pod. Is that the point where the game "starts" and I can just go play now that I have the fabricator, or is there another thing I'm missing? I don't want to skip unlocking anything right at the start

Yeah, pretty much, just start building a base and all your tools and you'll get messages on your radio with new objectives periodically

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah, just follow your radar but also your gear. Upgrading stuff, searching out missing pieces also help progress the game.

And for the love of god, explore EVERY part of a wreck, distress beacon, or plot-created spot. As my previous question on here will show, I missed one little PDA in a locker and couldn't progress naturally.

Also, read everything in your database, but especially the clues part. Those two life pods that have their coordinates corrupted contain essential stuff. You're expected to search that out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Isn't it on land? I have some recollection he goes back to the island to die.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Where do you folks build your first base? I've played through a few times and always end up building at the mouth of the jellyshroom cave. It's just so convenient, but next time I want to spice it up a little.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Yeah, it's Paul's last log. The location is listed in the wiki article: https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Degasi_Seabases

Then I thought I saw a light, deep below me. I hoped maybe Bart had swum clear. I followed it. Now I wonder whether I saw anything at all. My oxygen is low. The habitat is gone. I can't see the sky. Something surely has the scent of my blood

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where do you folks build your first base? I've played through a few times and always end up building at the mouth of the jellyshroom cave. It's just so convenient, but next time I want to spice it up a little.

Same with me :v:

I’ve built little ones on the sandy shelf by the bow of the Aurora, juuuuust outside of where the reaper can come find you. Mostly as a place to recharge batteries and store my pirated goods before transport.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, it's Paul's last log. The location is listed in the wiki article: https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Degasi_Seabases

Then I thought I saw a light, deep below me. I hoped maybe Bart had swum clear. I followed it. Now I wonder whether I saw anything at all. My oxygen is low. The habitat is gone. I can't see the sky. Something surely has the scent of my blood

Man, :wtc: why am I SO bad at finding stuff this playthrough? I thought I went all through the grand reef base. Guess not.

Gonna check it out tonight! :getin:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Manager Hoyden posted:

I build in the bulb zone, it has pretty visuals and easy access to thermal vents.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My wife and I are still kind of playing alongside each other but because she's on PC, she's using mods. She's a self-admitted scared-cat so she has a bio reactor, auto defense system and laser cannons on her cyclops, as well as night vision.

If that's how she wants to play for it to be fun, then more power to her, figuratively and literally.

But I caught her the other night as we were both trying to access the Lost River, saying "this isn't so scary, I got here no problem!"

I reminded her of how she took out two Ghost Leviathans and 3 crab squids with her laser cannons, and has essentially infinite energy for her ship. :colbert:

Meanwhile, I'm Austin-Powers-ing* my goddamned Cyclops in some tunnel that's obviously too small, and can't figure out how to get in :argh:

*pictured mood, for reference:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Manager Hoyden posted:

First base I built was right by the drop pod, right on the edge of an underwater cliff near the kelp zone. This was by far my largest and most elaborate base, and included a little above-water section with a bedroom and observation area. Second was right over the entrance to the Jellyshroom Cave, in which I constructed a very, very long tube descending into the cave so I could explore the abandoned seabase before I found any depth modules for the Seamoth. Third, fourth, and fifth were satellite bases on the mountain island, the edge of the dunes, and the Grand Reef so I could search for stuff using the scanner room, and my sixth and final base was right next to the giant tree at the end of the Lost River.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I feel very seen. gently caress driving that school bus between juvie leviathans.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Visions of my first trip down to the giant tree cove in the cyclops before I realized how insanely important the sonar upgrade was for that trip :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zeldadude posted:

Visions of my first trip down to the giant tree cove in the cyclops before I realized how insanely important the sonar upgrade was for that trip :v:

THAT'S IT.

THAT'S THE CONNECTION /Eddie Valiant

For real, you just reminded me that I used to have that upgrade and didn't bother this time, because "oh, I barely used it last time".

Yeah, but those times I DID use it were when I was trying to descend into the depths and find the lost river.

Jfc, I somehow got worse at subnautica 7 months later.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My first base is usually located right by my pod, with my second base being at a hub between three branches of the lost river. I prefer long trips in the seamoth when I'm above a certain depth over making more bases. That second base is placed perfectly, giving me access to pretty much the entire endgame from one safe location. Just park the cyclops there once you have both and seamoth between the two bases.

But I'm not much of a base builder in games to start with, so I can see how if someone was they might have fun setting up smaller bases at entrances to biomes or near resources. It certainly would have been convenient at a few points when I was resource hunting, but I figured the time spent hunting for resources to build a base with a scanner room would take longer than just manually searching.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The base at the giant tree may as well be cannonical now. The top of that room is above 900m, so you can safely drive a seamoth down there and dock it, and it's right at the entrance to the end game where you don't really want to, nor need to, drive the cyclops. Plus there are geothermal vents, so you don't have to worry about power.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

THAT'S IT.

THAT'S THE CONNECTION /Eddie Valiant

For real, you just reminded me that I used to have that upgrade and didn't bother this time, because "oh, I barely used it last time".

Yeah, but those times I DID use it were when I was trying to descend into the depths and find the lost river.

Jfc, I somehow got worse at subnautica 7 months later.

haha glad I could be of service! Yeah it was a real game changer when I realized how good sonar was for that specific use case.

I only made one base on my Subnautica playthrough, right by the drop pod. Pretty much just used my cyclops as a base for the last third of the game, lol. Kind of wish I had made multiple though. When I eventually get sick of elden ring and beat below zero and go back to Subnautica with mods I'll definitely make a couple. Probably one in the kelp forest northwest of the aurora and one in the giant tree cove.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

But I caught her the other night as we were both trying to access the Lost River, saying "this isn't so scary, I got here no problem!"

I reminded her of how she took out two Ghost Leviathans and 3 crab squids with her laser cannons, and has essentially infinite energy for her ship. :colbert:

haha I always feel so goddamn bad murdering fish as I swim around and theyre not even worth killing for food usually, I'd feel guilty even killing the big predators.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The base at the giant tree may as well be cannonical now. The top of that room is above 900m, so you can safely drive a seamoth down there and dock it, and it's right at the entrance to the end game where you don't really want to, nor need to, drive the cyclops. Plus there are geothermal vents, so you don't have to worry about power.

Yep, I think it's very deliberate design; just a hair above 900m on the ridge overlooking the tree, most of the way towards the endgame zone, etc. That said it took me until my most recent playthrough to make one there.

I am very unimaginative and always built my main base near the big vent/geyser thing in the shallows not far from the drop pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

zeldadude posted:

haha glad I could be of service! Yeah it was a real game changer when I realized how good sonar was for that specific use case.

I only made one base on my Subnautica playthrough, right by the drop pod. Pretty much just used my cyclops as a base for the last third of the game, lol. Kind of wish I had made multiple though. When I eventually get sick of elden ring and beat below zero and go back to Subnautica with mods I'll definitely make a couple. Probably one in the kelp forest northwest of the aurora and one in the giant tree cove.

I ended up with 4 bases, but my main base was indeed by the drop pod.

My biggest regret in subnautica: below zero is that you never really needed a second base. There was nowhere really far off or dangerous to go to.