Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In MMOs it is a goldsink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That too but how many times have you been with a cursed Mythic+ group in WoW and been like “well all my gear’s broken guess we’ll never make the timer now a real shame okay well byeeeeeeeee”

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark Souls at least uses its weapon degradation system as a means of funneling you back to your hub so you can repair, upgrade, level up, etc.

It just also uses it as a big gently caress-you with acid damage or the scraping spear from Demons Souls

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Counterpoint: durability in Dark Souls is dumb and thank god Elden Ring removed it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any Star Wars game where anything takes more than 1 lightsaber hit

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the original FF7 the one character you never use, Cait Sith, steals a mcguffin from your possession and threatens a child's life if you don't play along.

This act is never mentioned again, and Cait Sith stays in the party throughout. Technically speaking, the goofy henchman Reno kills more innocent people than the villain Sephiroth, but his small act of terrorism is soon forgotten.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing more Mario Kart 8, and everyone complains about blue shells by default but man, the lightning strike is 100x more annoying. Instead of bumping a few people and briefly taking the frontrunner down, how about loving over everyone else and their items, *and* making them drive terribly for a while? And for all that, it somehow also feels completely underwhelming in practice when you're the one using it. Love the game, but it'd absolutely be better off without that one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been playing more Mario Kart 8, and everyone complains about blue shells by default but man, the lightning strike is 100x more annoying. Instead of bumping a few people and briefly taking the frontrunner down, how about loving over everyone else and their items, *and* making them drive terribly for a while? And for all that, it somehow also feels completely underwhelming in practice when you're the one using it. Love the game, but it'd absolutely be better off without that one.

The lightning strike never beat MK64 when you could gently caress over the entire race by using it just before the big jump in Wario Stadium and put everyone a lap behind.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Necrothatcher posted:

The lightning strike never beat MK64 when you could gently caress over the entire race by using it just before the big jump in Wario Stadium and put everyone a lap behind.

Ha, beat me to it! That, or the jump in DK Jungle.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the original FF7 the one character you never use, Cait Sith, steals a mcguffin from your possession and threatens a child's life if you don't play along.

This act is never mentioned again, and Cait Sith stays in the party throughout. Technically speaking, the goofy henchman Reno kills more innocent people than the villain Sephiroth, but his small act of terrorism is soon forgotten.

It has always bugged me how quickly Barret gets over Cait Sith threatening to shoot his daughter.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's ok he said my bad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My weird little gripe with Dark Souls is that they give you all these boxes, barrels and pots to smash but there's never a god damned thing in any of them. There was a rat in one of them once but that's it. At least put a random something in a few of them. I mean, why bother making them destructible? The only time they come close to being a part of the game is when they occasionally hide a secret area.

Aside from that rat I mean.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BiggerBoat posted:

My weird little gripe with Dark Souls is that they give you all these boxes, barrels and pots to smash but there's never a god damned thing in any of them. There was a rat in one of them once but that's it. At least put a random something in a few of them. I mean, why bother making them destructible? The only time they come close to being a part of the game is when they occasionally hide a secret area.

It’s satisfying as hell to smash poo poo by rolling into it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Dark Souls 1 had a pyromancy guy in a pot that you had to break him out of.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Captain Hygiene posted:

At least the lightning strike helps you, even if it's not much. When you're losing really hard and you get a blue shell, it's like "woo, time to help out whoever's in second place! yay!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ostensibly Reeve, the guy controlling the Cait Sith, is being coerced into doing/saying those things. It's all sort of handwaved away really quickly, though - even if you trust him to regret joining Shinra and be a good guy, how is he controlling this cat robot? What's stopping Rufus from walking into his control room or whatever in Shinra HQ and again forcing him to betray you? He theoretically earns your trust back soon afterwards by helping you get the Black Materia, but why did you take him with you to the Temple of the Ancients anyway? Why did Cloud let him join the party in the first place? I love FFVII, but everything about Cait Sith is loving stupid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of people wouldn't notice him and just swing their swords and either kill him, or make him forever mad. It was great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The upgrade system in ER bullshit and I just google where you get the materials.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They still need to sell game guides, I suppose

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kazil posted:

Counterpoint: durability in Dark Souls is dumb and thank god Elden Ring removed it

It was only funny in DS2(?) where you could load up that acid cloud fart spell and just wreck everything someone was wearing in PVP while running around and refusing to engage in actual combat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Philippe posted:

They still need to sell game guides, I suppose

The Future Press ones they did for Dark Souls and Bloodborne is fantastic, hope they make one for Elden Ring.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

You can never get durability so low that your Monster Hunter weapon falls apart and is gone forever.

Of course, if you’re going to say that that means it doesn’t really have weapon durability, it also means that, for example, Dark Souls 2 doesn’t really have weapon durability, despite having a famous bug where the ‘durability’ stat on weapons would degrade too fast at fps over 30.

With the way hitboxes worked in DS2, if you hit a big enough enemy with a whip, it counted as several hits, all of which counted against your durability .
You could break a whip by hitting an enemy once.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's also a single crystal lizard hiding in a barrel early on in DS1, which is mostly funny for randomizer runs that replace it with something spicier.

Also beyond loving up piles of junk being its own reward, would you really want non-breakable crap blocking your way all the time?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
This is a not-so-little thing, but since the Elden Ring came out, I was wondering about trying out some of the earlier Souls/Bloodborne games from FROM, since I always bought them on a sale and never finished any.

So I tried Bloodborne, but dear me, the framerate and frame skips/juddering (? I think that's the term) is really uncomfortable for me, and I can't play like that. The weird wet-like textures I could live with, I do like the combat/parry system, but after playing Nioh 2 for a long time I really forgot how badly Bloodborne runs. I really wish they would update it for the PS5 - I don't need better graphics, just let the game run well, even at 30 fps (though 60 would be preferable, but I'd take stabilitity over it).

I think I like Dark Souls 3 less, but this one at least has a stable framerate, and on the PS5 it even runs at 60 fps.

Edit: but something that makes Dark Souls 3 harder for me to play is the lack of any journal/map which I can check to remind me what exactly I'm trying to do now, especially if the last time I played the game was a few months ago. Yeah, I know it's part of the design, but I don't like it - but I can make notes/consult guides, so I can live with that. But the lack of an integrated Pause option is really silly, there's no reason for that.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Mar 11, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
it was a concession to the game's always-online nature at first but now that they have more robust options for that i think it is unfortunately just part of the Brand now

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

moonmazed posted:

it was a concession to the game's always-online nature at first but now that they have more robust options for that i think it is unfortunately just part of the Brand now

Always Online in what way because even back in Demon's Souls people would play offline to change world tendency easier.

Online and Offline have always been separate options at the game's main menu.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's always online in the "mooom! I can't pause it, it's online!" sense

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I can choose to play offline and can't play online without PS+ anyway, so whatever the reason for that, it's just a design flaw for me and while I understand that it's there I wish it weren't. Just disable the pausing if you are being invaded or something, and don't if you opt out of the system.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Speaking of that and not to derail but I accidentally punched him for 1 damage when I broke the barrel. At least I think I did. He seemed chill about it and didn't attack me but now I can't find him at the fire in FIrelink Shrine. Did he gently caress off because I hit him? I want to apologize to him and get some fire spells.

This will be a BIG thing dragging the game down if my Pyromancer can't use fire.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Mar 11, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that and not to derail but I accidentally punched him for 1 damage when I broke the barrel. At least I think I did. He seemed chill about it and didn't attack me but now I can't find him at the fire in FIrelink Shrine. Did he gently caress off because I hit him? I want to apologize to him and get some fire spells.

This will be a BIG thing dragging the game down if my Pyromancer can't use fire.

He’s probably there. He’s in a weird spot. Look on YouTube. I had the same issue last time I played DS1.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Szurumbur posted:

I can choose to play offline and can't play online without PS+ anyway, so whatever the reason for that, it's just a design flaw for me and while I understand that it's there I wish it weren't. Just disable the pausing if you are being invaded or something, and don't if you opt out of the system.

I think Watch_Dogs of all people showed the flaw of that idea: the fact you couldn't pause when being invaded became an easy warning system for when you were being invaded, which was actually a problem there because invasions were secret; you weren't actually supposed to know you were being invaded until the invader made their move.

This actually would've been a big issue with Dark Souls 1 especially, which actually did have a secret invasion system in the form of the Gravelord covenant. Granted, Gravelords were buggy as hell and barely functioned, but conceptually the problem was there: if you could pause when not being invaded, then you'd be immediately on top of a Gravelord invasion when suddenly that wasn't working, while as intended a Gravelord could be secretly making your life hell for an hour before you could tell.

I don't know off the top of my head if other Souls games had similar 'secret invasions', I just remembered Gravelords because I desperately wanted that to work and be as cool as it sounded on paper. The fact it didn't is another thing dragging the game down, I suppose.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

I think Watch_Dogs of all people showed the flaw of that idea: the fact you couldn't pause when being invaded became an easy warning system for when you were being invaded, which was actually a problem there because invasions were secret; you weren't actually supposed to know you were being invaded until the invader made their move.

This actually would've been a big issue with Dark Souls 1 especially, which actually did have a secret invasion system in the form of the Gravelord covenant. Granted, Gravelords were buggy as hell and barely functioned, but conceptually the problem was there: if you could pause when not being invaded, then you'd be immediately on top of a Gravelord invasion when suddenly that wasn't working, while as intended a Gravelord could be secretly making your life hell for an hour before you could tell.

I don't know off the top of my head if other Souls games had similar 'secret invasions', I just remembered Gravelords because I desperately wanted that to work and be as cool as it sounded on paper. The fact it didn't is another thing dragging the game down, I suppose.

Didn’t they fix gravelords in the remaster?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Frank Frank posted:

Didn’t they fix gravelords in the remaster?

They did, yes; in the original they could only infect NG+ games, the remaster fixed it so they could infect regular players. I don't know how well that tipped things back in the Gravelord's favor, though.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I understand this might not be ideal, but my quick dismissive idea was based on the fact that I'd rather have an ability to pause then be invaded anyway. In general, just let me play offline and pause whenever, I don't really feel like making an optimized solution here:)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Generally dark souls NPCs will let you hit them once and only get angry on the second hit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Which they changed in Elden Ring by just making it so you can't attack the important NPCs.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Which they changed in Elden Ring by just making it so you can't attack the important NPCs.

So they started ripping off Skyrim & Oblivion by making important NPCs essential?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hel posted:

So they started ripping off Skyrim & Oblivion by making important NPCs essential?

Areas with important NPCs disable your attack button

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ah, so it's like Deus Ex: Invisible War

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Qwertycoatl posted:

Areas with important NPCs disable your attack button

Which is reaaaal great when an enemy chases you into one of those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Don't the NPC start killing the enemies, old-school Gothic style?

Seriuosly missed potential if so:/