Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Clone Wars was real, real bad until later seasons and even then, they gave us poo poo like all the Jar Jar episodes and the four loving episodes in a row with Meebur Gascon in the desert with the droids that were just intolerable to sit through.

Rebels has a much higher good-to-bad ratio and the later seasons are some of the best Star Wars content, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nanigans posted:

Clone Wars was real, real bad until later seasons and even then, they gave us poo poo like all the Jar Jar episodes and the four loving episodes in a row with Meebur Gascon in the desert with the droids that were just intolerable to sit through.

Rebels has a much higher good-to-bad ratio and the later seasons are some of the best Star Wars content, period.

Cad Bane is in the first series though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxYTQ_UuIw&t=41s

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think they should just pitch Christensen's voice down, in a clever high-tech way of course. If they do the AI thing to make it sound like Jones specifically it will be gross.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Karloff posted:

I think they should just pitch Christensen's voice down, in a clever high-tech way of course. If they do the AI thing to make it sound like Jones specifically it will be gross.

I mean. Did you see Rogue One...? I don't think they're concerned about being gross.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mdemone posted:

I never thought about that but it does make sense. I sort of always assumed he was just....not that good of an actor.

Nah, Portman comes across stilted too and she's got chops.

When it's Lucas directing the boring part on the soundstage so he can get it over with and get to the exciting part of adding a bunch of Glupp Shittos in post, I'm inclined to be charitable towards the actors and blame him TBH.

Dudes a visionary with the technology and caught lightning in a bottle mixing flash gordon, samurai movies, and westerns, but he cannot direct human beings very well.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 10, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

Nah, Portman comes across stilted too and she's got chops.

When it's Lucas directing the boring part on the soundstage so he can get it over with and get to the exciting part of adding a bunch of Glupp Shittos in post, I'm inclined to be charitable towards the actors and blame him TBH.

Dudes a visionary with the technology and caught lightning in a bottle mixing flash gordon, samurai movies, and westerns, but he cannot direct human beings very well.

Well, also: the screenplay did not do them any favors.

Oh god. The dialogue. :ughh:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who loves (a lot of) The Clone Wars, I have no idea what anyone sees in Rebels. TCW did a great job of being an all-ages show full of complex themes and good storytelling and rich character moments (alongside a bunch of goofy-rear end episodes that I don't care for). In contrast, Rebels feels like a kids show, dumbed-down and talking down to its audience, full of annoying cardboard characters who make the stupidest decisions possible at every turn and full of bad-calls of cartoony bullshit that feels completely divorced from the reality presented in the films.

Counterpoint: Rebels has the best lightsaber duel in all of Star Wars and that will include anything we see in the Kenobi show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Everyone posted:

Counterpoint: Rebels has the best lightsaber duel in all of Star Wars and that will include anything we see in the Kenobi show.

That duel happening in the same episode as a bunch of stupid Erza poo poo is a pretty good example of what Rebels is.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Did JEJ die or something? Why not just have him voice Vader like he always has. He’s not going to sound “old” like Hamill does because his voice will already be filtered.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ballz posted:

Did JEJ die or something? Why not just have him voice Vader like he always has. He’s not going to sound “old” like Hamill does because his voice will already be filtered.

Because why hire JEJ when Disney has no issues with using AI to create younger voice acting performances.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ballz posted:

Tbf the dude is 91 and might be reaching the point where he doesn't want to strain his voice every time Disney calls.

And Hamill doesn't even sound that old except when he's doing his Joker/weird UK accent voice.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ballz posted:

Dude's 91 years old man. I'm sure he'd love to continue to voice the character, but eventually that baton is going to be handed off to somebody else. I'm not sure an AI will be good enough, but until that tech comes out of the uncanny valley I'm sure Disney will find somebody who can sound like Mr Jones to put it through whatever sound processor settings to make it sound like Vader.

And he was sounding kind of old in his voice work for Rebels, but it's still pretty awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sekhmnet posted:

Dude's 91 years old man. I'm sure he'd love to continue to voice the character, but eventually that baton is going to be handed off to somebody else. I'm not sure an AI will be good enough, but until that tech comes out of the uncanny valley I'm sure Disney will find somebody who can sound like Mr Jones to put it through whatever sound processor settings to make it sound like Vader.

And he was sounding kind of old in his voice work for Rebels, but it's still pretty awesome.

Luke's AI voice in the Boba Fett episodes he was in seemed adequate enough for Disney to be like "we don't need Mark to record dialog" it seems like, lol. I imagine Vader would be easier to make convincing since his voice already sounds like it's put through a synthesizer of some sort.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Obi-Wan trailer is intriguing.

He was the ultimate badass of the SW story, having killed Maul, Grievous, and for all intents and purposes, the unbeatable Anakin. And McGregor's performance in the role was my favorite of the PT, I am excited!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

Potentially spoilery answer to question: The main thrust of the story apparently revolves around Leia being kidnapped and Obi going after her. So probably not much Rebel business, more of a personal situation.

This sounds really cool. Sure kid Luke would be fun, but he'd probably be the "Yes, ma'am, no, ma'am," rural polite kid. Young Leia will probably be a little hellion. I'm hoping for a bit of a Star Wars take on The Ransom of Red Chief

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mdemone posted:

Well, also: the screenplay did not do them any favors.

Oh god. The dialogue. :ughh:

As Harrison once said to George: "George! You can type this poo poo, but you sure can't say it! Move your mouth when you're typing!"

teagone posted:

Luke's AI voice in the Boba Fett episodes he was in seemed adequate enough for Disney to be like "we don't need Mark to record dialog" it seems like, lol. I imagine Vader would be easier to make convincing since his voice already sounds like it's put through a synthesizer of some sort.

It was adequate in the "if you're not used to AI-generated voices you probably won't notice" but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me and once I started paying attention it only got worse

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

This video seems germain to the discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bsj9mEmidY

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just get the Chad Vader guy to voice him like in Force Unleashed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

Who was the soundalike in Rogue One and Rebels?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The United States posted:

Who was the soundalike in Rogue One and Rebels?

There wasn’t one, JEJ voiced the character in both of those

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

I honestly don't know what people hear in Matt Sloan's delivery. Scott Lawrence was way better.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

They've specifically said "Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader", in all the promotion for this show so I do think it's holistically gonna be him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What are the odds of a kid Din Djarin showing up somewhere in Kenobi.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

What are the odds of a kid Din Djarin showing up somewhere in Kenobi.

Probably not Din but you can bet your sweet rear end baby Yoda will be in there somehow/someway. :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mdemone posted:

I never thought about that but it does make sense. I sort of always assumed he was just....not that good of an actor.

Everything about that's come out behind-the-scenes in the prequels is that the actors are all doing exactly what Lucas told them to do.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Probably not Din but you can bet your sweet rear end baby Yoda will be in there somehow/someway. :v:

He's totally going to visit Dagobah for a quick chat with Yoda.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If Yoda was talking to Ezra and Kanan a few years later it wouldn't be a surprise if he was talking to Obi-wan as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Karloff posted:

They've specifically said "Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader", in all the promotion for this show so I do think it's holistically gonna be him.

They are not going to fundamentally change the most iconic villain voice of all time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m imagining the scenario of “former padawan lands on Tatooine with Inquisitors in pursuit, Obi Wan gets wind of it and feels like he has to do something to protect Luke, calamity ensues”.

We saw in Rebels that killing an inquisitor is the fastest way to get Vader’s attention, so that would be a decent hook for Vader to show up (or at least be referenced somehow).

Many pages ago but lmao you just described one of the old EU book series. The former padawan was even friends/rivals with anakin.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bit late I suppose, but I binged the Boba Fett show.

I didn't watch the cartoons. Did young Boba have a heart of gold or something? I was under the impression he was just a ruthless bounty hunter, but the evil cowboy alien seemed to indicate Boba was a big softy. The evil cowboy alien's design was pretty cool, btw, even if it seemed like a ripoff of Oddworld's aliens.

Why do these shows seem to have their brains removed half way through? Why does Boba want to be a crimelord but not do crimes? Why does Boba's crew want to make their last stand at a bombed out adobe city block instead of a fortified Hutt castle? Why doesn't Boba just strafe the Pyke's from the air with his space ship? Why does the Wookie's broken foot magically mend itself? In what sense are the people of Mos Whatever Boba's people? Did he endear himself to them offscreen? All he does is get their neighborhood blown up. Half of them turn on him immediately and attack his guys.

I know it's Star Wars, but why are the giant, expensive, advanced robot war tanks unable to hit anything? And why don't their giant lasers blow holes in the simple adobe walls? And if Mando understands his kinetic weapon is too fast to pierce their shields, why doesn't he conclude he should just slow down? Hasn't he seen Dune?

Why doesn't Ming-Na Wen get any good lines? Why do you hire good actors and then have them say nothing interesting?

Spice is killing people? Do we ever actually see that? The Marshall is drinking liquor while decrying drugs, what message does that send to the youth of today?

I know, it's for kids. The target audience is 45 year old nerds who've spend thousands on Funko Pops, but somehow it's for kids. :rolleyes:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Darth TNT posted:

He's totally going to visit Dagobah for a quick chat with Yoda.

Yeah because somehow Obi-Wan has to learn where Yoda went, because I don't think we ever see him actually tell Obi where he's going in exile.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hazo posted:

Yeah because somehow Obi-Wan has to learn where Yoda went, because I don't think we ever see him actually tell Obi where he's going in exile.

He told look where to go in Empire, though he could've learned it after he died.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Animal-Mother posted:

Bit late I suppose, but I binged the Boba Fett show.

Spice is killing people? Do we ever actually see that? The Marshall is drinking liquor while decrying drugs, what message does that send to the youth of today?

I'm not going to respond to every point you made here, because you're largely right and I have nothing to add. But on this one, as a recovering alcoholic, I have to say, this is nothing new in TV and movies. Hard liquor? Totally fine, and is a way to cope with literally anything you are dealing with. Show's you're a man! Weed? The devil's lettuce, and will kill you or send you to jail (the last thing is actually true, because the world sucks).

All TV and film loving sucks on depicting alcohol vs. drugs. This is no different.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Davros1 posted:

He told look where to go in Empire, though he could've learned it after he died.

Right, he knew where to point Luke, but we never see Yoda tell Obi where the hell he's disappearing to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Right, he knew where to point Luke, but we never see Yoda tell Obi where the hell he's disappearing to.

...does it matter? He told Obi-Wan where he was going off screen before he left the ship at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Or they talked via the Force at some point. I literally couldn't care less when Yoda told Obi-Wan he was going to Dagobah specifically, considering we already saw him say he was going into exile. That's the important character moment. Speaking the location aloud does not matter.

We don't need to see everything.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 11, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Without having seen the Boba Fett show yet, I assume everything that’s wrong with it can be explained by assuming Disney doesn’t want cool “villains”. So Boba Fett won’t bomb everyone because that would be bad. He wants a criminal empire without crime, because that would be bad.
Thrawn isn’t just a smart space fascist, he’s also secretly working to save the universe from some vague threat.
You can’t have them be too evil.

thrawn527 posted:

...does it matter? He told Obi-Wan where he was going off screen before he left the ship at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Or they talked via the Force at some point. I literally couldn't care less when Yoda told Obi-Wan he was going to Dagobah specifically, considering we already saw him say he was going into exile. That's the important character moment. Speaking the location aloud does not matter.

We don't need to see everything.

That was the joke. Disney wants to explain everything.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Darth TNT posted:

That was the joke. Disney wants to explain everything.

This has been problem no1 with anything released after the OT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

thrawn527 posted:

I have to say, this is nothing new in TV and movies. Hard liquor? Totally fine, and is a way to cope with literally anything you are dealing with. Show's you're a man! Weed? The devil's lettuce, and will kill you or send you to jail (the last thing is actually true, because the world sucks).

Hard agree. I was just joking about the message to the youth. Maybe, maaaaybe whoever wrote that scene was aware of the contradiction, but I doubt it. I would just like to see what the Star Wars spice actually does to users. Is it supposed to be space coke? Space meth? Will The Commission on Tatooine allow it to be sold, but not around schools? Only in the Tusken neighborhoods?

Darth TNT posted:

Without having seen the Boba Fett show yet, I assume everything that’s wrong with it can be explained by assuming Disney doesn’t want cool “villains”. So Boba Fett won’t bomb everyone because that would be bad. He wants a criminal empire without crime, because that would be bad.

He's been a cool villain since 1980 when he showed up. That was his entire character until he got fleshed out in the cartoons, I assume.

I know he debuted in a cartoon on the Christmas show in 78, but he was a bit cool and villainous even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope we see him developing his krayt dragon scream!!!11