Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Newest ep has continuity apparently.

https://i.imgur.com/EpV6BFG.mp4

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Steve smith's a straight up biiiitch

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good kitties.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

muscles like this! posted:

Its always kind of weird when they mess up the limited continuity between episodes. Like s11ep18 "Mine Struggle" has a bit where a narrator is listing out all the potential owners of the Smith property mineral rights and one of the people listed is President Garfield but he isn't cloned until the next episode.

they even mention that it will be in an upcoming episode wrt garfield

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The ending of that episode was weird. I feel like the episode endings have been weirder than usual lately. :raise:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nerfer! Yeah, that definitely looks like the kind of person who would own an armor plated bulldozer.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I enjoyed the weird-rear end ending of this episode.
Plus the evolution of Klaus into a Felix Biederman 'Hot Couch Guy' has reaped dividends.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

With how obsessed this thread can get about Klaus, myself included, it seemed like this episode was making fun of us. I liked it.

Unless Reddit has changed the hive mind opinion from "Klaus is the worst character" to "gently caress yeah Klaus rules!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

I enjoyed the weird-rear end ending of this episode.
Plus the evolution of Klaus into a Felix Biederman 'Hot Couch Guy' has reaped dividends.

I had never heard of a 'Hot Couch Guy' before and looked it up, after reading some stories about them and the kind of person they are I suddenly feel much better about myself and the choices I've made in my life.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I had never heard of a 'Hot Couch Guy' before and looked it up, after reading some stories about them and the kind of person they are I suddenly feel much better about myself and the choices I've made in my life.

Sounds like someone is too good to have unlicensed exotic animals and a broken ceiling fan in their living room.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

With how obsessed this thread can get about Klaus, myself included, it seemed like this episode was making fun of us. I liked it.

Unless Reddit has changed the hive mind opinion from "Klaus is the worst character" to "gently caress yeah Klaus rules!"

I think a lot of the characterization of Klaus is in direct response to how useless of a character he was early on. It avoids the Meg from Family Guy piling on though because he's truly a lovely person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nichael posted:

I think a lot of the characterization of Klaus is in direct response to how useless of a character he was early on. It avoids the Meg from Family Guy piling on though because he's truly a lovely person.

There's also the fact that every time he has had access to a non-goldfish body, things have gone horribly for everyone other than him.

Also, Family Guy has been trying to make Meg a lovely person too, but considering how horribly they've treated her, it just comes across as her just being super duper extra traumatized.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nichael posted:

I think it also helps that Klaus occasionally gets a win or at least some revenge for the indignities he suffers so it's not as one sided as the abuse Meg suffers often is(though apparently Family Guy has been dialing back that sort of thing a lot the last couple seasons compared to how bad it used to be)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Neeksy posted:

Sounds like someone is too good to have unlicensed exotic animals and a broken ceiling fan in their living room.

Oh yeah? Well it sounds like YOU'RE wasting dental floss, IDIOT

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nichael posted:

It avoids the Meg from Family Guy piling on though because he's truly a lovely person.

The Meg stuff is one of the reasons I waas turned off Family Guy. After a while it was just cruel for the sake of being cruel. I know they did an episode where they rationalized it as Meg is the whipping boy and that is the lynch pin of the entire family but it just struck me as excusing terrible abuse. It also doesn't help one of the understood reasons for that is because she is horrendously ugly. She also comes off most of the time as a caring person that just wants to help or be apart of something. It just sucks.

drrockso20 posted:

I think it also helps that Klaus occasionally gets a win or at least some revenge for the indignities he suffers so it's not as one sided as the abuse Meg suffers often is

This has a lot to do with it. Klaus also has the room to really stretch his fins with his frat dude white trash personality that somehow everyone has experienced in real life. Meg is quite constrained with her awkward teen girl stereotype.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah Klaus does networking with the neighborhood and he has a rich inner life, unlike Meg. People actually go to the alcove for advice and stuff, which is how he managed to hypnotize the entire town.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nichael posted:

do you eat?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

The Obey posters would make a baller gang tag. Obey, with Klaus's head rising over it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kwyndig posted:

People actually go to the alcove for advice and stuff, which is how he managed to hypnotize the entire town.

The alcove that’s moved! :argh: There’s now a door in the hallway between the kitchen and living room!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I thought Klaus moved his alcove to the second floor?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

It also doesn't help one of the understood reasons for that is because she is horrendously ugly.

I thought that the fact that Meg is considered horribly grossly hideous despite looking exactly like a chubby brunette Lois was part of the joke...until they started going into more detail. There's an episode in which she accidentally pisses off a bully, gets challenged to a duel, and manages to defeat him by popping her pimples & showing him her breasts.

One thing that confused me is that Quagmire sexually pursued her, despite the fact that almost everyone she encounters thinks she's disgusting. Ordinarily this would make sense because Quagmire is a creepass with no standards, but there are two women that he has rejected -- Peter's boss Angela (another person who is inexplicably gross despite looking normal lazy animation?), and Charmise, his old prostitute wife. What makes Meg less gross than them? :raise:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought that the fact that Meg is considered horribly grossly hideous despite looking exactly like a chubby brunette Lois was part of the joke...until they started going into more detail. There's an episode in which she accidentally pisses off a bully, gets challenged to a duel, and manages to defeat him by popping her pimples & showing him her breasts.

One thing that confused me is that Quagmire sexually pursued her, despite the fact that almost everyone she encounters thinks she's disgusting. Ordinarily this would make sense because Quagmire is a creepass with no standards, but there are two women that he has rejected -- Peter's boss Angela (another person who is inexplicably gross despite looking normal lazy animation?), and Charmise, his old prostitute wife. What makes Meg less gross than them? :raise:

Funny thing is that some of the beats they've done have hinted(probably unintentionally) that it's less that Lois is somehow so much hotter than Meg naturally, it's just that Meg has subpar personal hygiene and usually puts no effort into her appearance while Lois usually puts a lot of work into her own, like the episode where Peter goes blind reveals that Lois looks terrible without makeup, while the episode where Meg becomes a pop star shows that a relatively minor alteration to her appearance is all it takes for her to be considered hot

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey, remember this post?

TBS does not list any new episodes after A Song of Knives and Fire - in fact, they're showing an episode of Bob's Burgers in its timeslot a week later.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have way too many opinions about Seth MacFarlane cartoons, someone please help me :negative:

drrockso20 posted:

Funny thing is that some of the beats they've done have hinted(probably unintentionally) that it's less that Lois is somehow so much hotter than Meg naturally, it's just that Meg has subpar personal hygiene and usually puts no effort into her appearance while Lois usually puts a lot of work into her own, like the episode where Peter goes blind reveals that Lois looks terrible without makeup, while the episode where Meg becomes a pop star shows that a relatively minor alteration to her appearance is all it takes for her to be considered hot

Here are my thoughts about what you're saying here:

1) I don't think Lois puts an exceptional amount of effort into her appearance. Judging by her appearance when Peter was blind, it looks like she wears foundation, lipstick, and maybe a little eyeliner on a regular basis. Look at the difference between her and Donna, someone who draws on her lips, has pushup bra thingers, and wears a wig, even in the house.

2) It has been established that Meg's grossness comes straight from her. She might also have subpar hygiene, but I think it's less of a factor than her body itself, and here are some examples why:
a. In the ear sex episode, her boyfriend breaks up with her when he sees her body. He wouldn't have wanted to get close enough to gently caress her in the ear if she stank.
b. I don't know the exact details, but there's an episode where Meg is riding a vehicle while holding on to someone from behind -- the person in front of her feels three nipples, but she asserts that two of them are moles. More body weirdness over hygiene grossness.
c. In the episode where she joins roller derby, she gets recruited because her thigh-knee-calf ratio is 1:1:1.
d. There's one episode where someone has to return her pimply back to her for a fight, so the grossness is in the backne AND the detachableness.

3) When Brian implies that Lois is ugly without makeup, I got the impression that the joke was Brian being judgmental more than Lois looking "terrible". Again though, it could be lazy animation; to me, Lois just looks middle-aged & blank, not outright ugly.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

i think it fundamentally comes down to the fact that family guy is generally unable to write female characters,
whereas american dad lets francine and haley be funny in their own right and lead far more episodes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Family Guy was still doing horribly transphobic stuff until relatively recently (maybe it still is, I don't know). It makes me a little sad that while Seth doesn't do anything other than voice work on the show any more, he tacitly approves by still doing the lines.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I still watch Family Guy out of morbid curiosity, and it seems like 99.9% of the jokes fall into "Asian", "Jew", or "Peter is bi" categories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stan's wandering sexuality is constantly hilarious however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFJRcc0wWc8

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I always absolutely despised that song, but it is absolutely amazing in context. American Dad is just so god drat good with music.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have way too many opinions about Seth MacFarlane cartoons, someone please help me :negative:

Here are my thoughts about what you're saying here:

1) I don't think Lois puts an exceptional amount of effort into her appearance. Judging by her appearance when Peter was blind, it looks like she wears foundation, lipstick, and maybe a little eyeliner on a regular basis. Look at the difference between her and Donna, someone who draws on her lips, has pushup bra thingers, and wears a wig, even in the house.

2) It has been established that Meg's grossness comes straight from her. She might also have subpar hygiene, but I think it's less of a factor than her body itself, and here are some examples why:
a. In the ear sex episode, her boyfriend breaks up with her when he sees her body. He wouldn't have wanted to get close enough to gently caress her in the ear if she stank.
b. I don't know the exact details, but there's an episode where Meg is riding a vehicle while holding on to someone from behind -- the person in front of her feels three nipples, but she asserts that two of them are moles. More body weirdness over hygiene grossness.
c. In the episode where she joins roller derby, she gets recruited because her thigh-knee-calf ratio is 1:1:1.
d. There's one episode where someone has to return her pimply back to her for a fight, so the grossness is in the backne AND the detachableness.

3) When Brian implies that Lois is ugly without makeup, I got the impression that the joke was Brian being judgmental more than Lois looking "terrible". Again though, it could be lazy animation; to me, Lois just looks middle-aged & blank, not outright ugly.

See I'm placing the burden specifically on the lazy animation designs, since Meg usually isn't particularly ugly looking and Lois isn't that different in design than her I'm leaning on that direction and mostly ignoring many of the gags you mentioned as being just that unimportant gags

Though admittedly I mostly try to ignore the existence of Family Guy after a certain point(which makes it a bit funny that I actually like The Cleveland Show for the most part even though it was being made at Family Guy's absolute nadir of quality)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

The_Doctor posted:

Stan: You know, I was just thinking about it, and the fact that you winked at me makes me think that you might... want to sleep with me. And although I'm flattered, and maybe even a little bit curious, um, I am a happily married man. And, um, I'm gonna have to say... no.

*Stan waits*
*guy says nothing*

Stan: Did you say something? ... Okay. :(

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFJRcc0wWc8

Francine you can't leave two Stan's back here in the past! What if we kiss and can't stop kissing?! :ohdear:

A montage of Stan's gayest moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66LO6u-AhJM

And another montage of more gay moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VkL7tr6ks

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Then -I’ll- have sex with Jeff

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
.....bout time i be hitting that, ol' dusty trail.

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

See I'm placing the burden specifically on the lazy animation designs, since Meg usually isn't particularly ugly looking and Lois isn't that different in design than her I'm leaning on that direction and mostly ignoring many of the gags you mentioned as being just that unimportant gags

Though admittedly I mostly try to ignore the existence of Family Guy after a certain point(which makes it a bit funny that I actually like The Cleveland Show for the most part even though it was being made at Family Guy's absolute nadir of quality)

I think the creation of both American Dad and Cleveland Show probably caused a certain amount of talent drain from Family Guy way back when, and likely is why American Dad ended up staying good; or at least my theory is that the people who made early Family Guy were all moved to American Dad before FG got renewed, and thus created yet another schism, but American Dad got to keep the elements that made early FG good versus the bush-era boomer standup complaints that it turned into.

I've watched some recent eps of FG and it's definitely not Simpsons-level bad, but not as great as it was when it was firing on all cylinders.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Jeff is in the new Pixar movie.

https://twitter.com/jamersino/status/1501215765449613312?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeff fish. Er,

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A Song of Knives and Fire
Season 19, Episode 8 - March 14, 2022
Stan and Francine inject some much-needed fire into their relationship.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Finally saw it. Great episode. Klaus is best. Wish we had a reason for why parker alone made it underground but I imagine it's because klaus hates cats or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Finally saw it. Great episode. Klaus is best. Wish we had a reason for why parker alone made it underground but I imagine it's because klaus hates cats or something

Klaus has good reasons to hate cats, birds, and some lizards.

On mobile can't timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErihKBFAz8