Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Bowen/status/1502108220726427679?t=V1G04Uc5vA3y1VkquhxfAw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Also zero mud. Anywhere. I dunno guys this might be fake

Yeah, the Russian MOD is pumping out these videos out to desperately try to bring back that RUSSIAN STRONK! image. I saw one thread that had this video of that's claimed to be a joint operation in Ukraine with Mi-28s and Ka-52s, but it's basically 1:30 of marketing/recruitment footage and 8 seconds of actual gunsight combat footage.
https://twitter.com/maytham956/status/1501945926822232077?s=20&t=QPZNk1pilsjTKgZlDUDZXg

I was trying to find the thread with a bunch of replies that were nothing but shootdown footage and crashed Ka-52s, but I'm guessing the bot or stooge who posted that got embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Omon Ra posted:

You understand that it's not just Putin's personal war, right? Most Russians are in favor of it.

By most accounts it was pretty much just Putin and a few of his inner circle that decided this. Which makes a lot of sense as anyone who knew anything about the situation knew it would be batshit crazy to do this. If you'd done a poll before the propaganda started for this, "should Russia invade Ukraine?" what do you think the results would of been?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1501982026467090433

Jeez. I think I'd have other priorities.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Women’s lingerie is a traditional barter good.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44697/ukrainian-tu-141-strizh-missile-like-drone-appears-to-have-crashed-in-croatia

Apparently it's a Tu-141 drone that went out of control in Ukraine and just flew west until it ran out of fuel.

Croatian officials have confirmed that two parachutes were found near the crash site.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Remember that "NATO Laptop" the Russians found that looked like a child who thought NATO was Rad and had that sticker on it? :allears:

That's the level of incompetence we are dealing with

It's amaxing watching chuds utterly fall apart at conducting war, the thing they constantly masturbate over

^In regard to the supply clownvoy: someone geolocated it to be filmed across the Russian border in relative safety

So yesh, fake

Chuds love the "killing people" part of war but not the work to get to the killing people part.

"Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics" etc. etc.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
From an economic perspective it's going to be fascinating seeing what a large economy like Russia turns into when it's delinked from the global system, because from my (admittedly limited) knowledge we've only had linkages, like China and others to study.

I feel bad for ordinary Russians though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

BoldFace posted:

Croatian officials have confirmed that two parachutes were found near the crash site.

How big are they? From that The Drive link, parachutes are part of how those old drones worked.

quote:

The Tu-141 is a fascinating piece of Soviet-era hardware that Ukraine has upgraded and made useful following the invasion of Crimea in 2014. More of a cruise missile than a traditional drone, the aircraft is rocket-launched from its trailer and flies a predetermined course at transonic speed, collecting various forms of intelligence, before recovering via parachute. It can then be reset and used again.

[...]

It's also possible that Russia has pulled some of these out of storage to act as crude decoys in a ploy to stimulate Ukraine's air defenses, but we have no proof of this at this time. This crashed example would have been beyond its stated range from the Russian border, although it could have reached Zagreb if it was launched from Belarus.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Apparently it's a Tu-141 drone that went out of control in Ukraine and just flew west until it ran out of fuel.

Tiny machine, set upon by all sides, bravely traverses a warring landscape seeking peace in the West. Here, I've storybooked it. Merch projections look through the roof.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

KitConstantine posted:

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Bowen/status/1502108220726427679?t=V1G04Uc5vA3y1VkquhxfAw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Also zero mud. Anywhere. I dunno guys this might be fake
Has anyone claimed Potemkin logistics yet?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Owling Howl posted:

In any case Ukraine should stop parading POWs and no one should put any stock in the statements made by POWs.

tbf showing POWs is the only way for their family to find out they're still alive and in Ukraine

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Kaal posted:

So either hoarding it for selling to people in power later?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kaal posted:

Bras are very complicated to make, so if they aren't being imported anymore they're gonna get really scarce really fast. Bras, even mass produced ones, involve a ton of handwork to finish so anything made local is gonna be orders of magnitude more expensive assuming there's anyone in the drat country with the skill/expertise to do it.

Going braless isn't all it's cracked up to be for most women, there's definitely gonna be a hot market for them after new products stop coming in.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

100% they've accidentally bio-weaponed themselves

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Look, their other entertainment options are likely to be severely curtailed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

A nice pair of panties for a policeman's wife/girlfriend was a good way to get out of trouble in Soviet days.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

dr_rat posted:

By most accounts it was pretty much just Putin and a few of his inner circle that decided this. Which makes a lot of sense as anyone who knew anything about the situation knew it would be batshit crazy to do this. If you'd done a poll before the propaganda started for this, "should Russia invade Ukraine?" what do you think the results would of been?
Depends on how the question was phrased. CNN did a poll before the war started, and at least 50% said it would be right to use military force to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO or if Russia felt "threatened by foreign activity in former Soviet countries".

I think it's misguided to imagine that Putin is the whole problem, and if he was suddenly deposed, Russia would no longer be a paranoid state with delusions of grandeur that needs more lebensraum. If there was no Putin, there would be someone else who could easily take advantage of those sentiments in the Russian society. After the annexation of Crimea, Russians cheered in the streets and Putin's approval rating was 80–90%.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xerxes17 posted:

Relikt has these plastic boards between the ERA blocks that are kept in the bag to maintain spacing/alignment, so this part of their response is mistaken. The bag looks like this because the ERA blocks have been removed.

Found a picture that seem to substantiate that:

Guess it doesn't work as good without the blocks in there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Omon Ra posted:

You understand that it's not just Putin's personal war, right? Most Russians are in favor of it.

eh, no
they're not really aware of what is being done in their name and they're certainly not aware that they're losing

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Omon Ra posted:

Depends on how the question was phrased. CNN did a poll before the war started, and at least 50% said it would be right to use military force to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO or if Russia felt "threatened by foreign activity in former Soviet countries".

I think it's misguided to imagine that Putin is the whole problem, and if he was suddenly deposed, Russia would no longer be a paranoid state with delusions of grandeur that needs more lebensraum. If there was no Putin, there would be someone else who could easily take advantage of those sentiments in the Russian society. After the annexation of Crimea, Russians cheered in the streets and Putin's approval rating was 80–90%.

I'm not disregarding your point, but there is also the propaganda feedback loop where people get shown what the Govt wants them to hear - and in Russia, unless you're young and you know how to get a VPN or something, state propaganda is pervasive. Look how much Fox News directs the narrative and public perception in huge parts of the USA, then ramp that up to 11 and get rid of every other news channel (or, in fact, replace every other news channel with Fox).

It's a complicated issue and I don't think there's any easy answers in terms of what average Russians really feel about anything.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Someone's getting their rear end chewed
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1502124169609240585?t=TQ5leh6RWzfryKYK2POqcQ&s=19

Exploring new avenues to tighten the screws on Russia
https://twitter.com/jendeben/status/1502115365018648614?t=5XKEPT1bLs3jZ4_tt6DGqQ&s=19

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

I'm not disregarding your point, but there is also the propaganda feedback loop where people get shown what the Govt wants them to hear - and in Russia, unless you're young and you know how to get a VPN or something, state propaganda is pervasive. Look how much Fox News directs the narrative and public perception in huge parts of the USA, then ramp that up to 11 and get rid of every other news channel (or, in fact, replace every other news channel with Fox).

It's a complicated issue and I don't think there's any easy answers in terms of what average Russians really feel about anything.

Also people tend to look to their country's politicians and prominent commentators to inform their own politics. They are, after all, ostensibly professionals in the subject.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Relevant Tangent posted:

eh, no
they're not really aware of what is being done in their name and they're certainly not aware that they're losing

It's this exactly. They're being fed lines about how they're Denazifying Ukraine and it's going to be a quick victory and then they'll be liberated as heroes

The truth is being whispered but not a lot of people are speaking out because of the consequences. Good on those who do though!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

dr_rat posted:

The reports of 70% Russian approval are probably correct. And many academic studies show sanctions harden support. But that's an aside since sanctions weren't directed at his support. Anyway support breaks down in the stuff I have seen (can't find it now) showing that 55 and older support, and 30 and younger oppose. And the latest polling shows nearly a 40% positive belief in victory in Ukraine.

It's not realistic to expect waves of protestors somehow making a difference in Putin's calculations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yep. It’s a luxury good that has real value as either a gift or for use. Lingerie is very transportable and holds its value pretty well in a conflict. You saw a lot of this sort of thing in other wars, such as WWII.

KitConstantine posted:

Bras are very complicated to make, so if they aren't being imported anymore they're gonna get really scarce really fast. Bras, even mass produced ones, involve a ton of handwork to finish so anything made local is gonna be orders of magnitude more expensive assuming there's anyone in the drat country with the skill/expertise to do it.

Going braless isn't all it's cracked up to be for most women, there's definitely gonna be a hot market for them after new products stop coming in.

Yeah it’s certainly true that the value of this sort of thing is going to go up. Bras and panties are essentially consumable, and people can certainly distinguish quality. But on the other hand, Russians will certainly be able to buy this sort of thing from China.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Kaal posted:

Yep. It’s a luxury good that has real value as either a gift or for use. Lingerie is very transportable and holds its value pretty well in a conflict. You saw a lot of this sort of thing in other wars, such as WWII.

Yeah it’s certainly true that the value of this sort of thing is going to go up. Bras and panties are essentially consumable, and people can certainly distinguish quality. But on the other hand, Russians will certainly be able to buy this sort of thing from China.

I figured during wartime it was because silk and nylon all went to parachutes and other military uses.

It's funny you talk about quality since many women I know complain about how bad Victoria's Secret bras are. I'm sure Chinese bras don't have much fashion cachet.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What?

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/...afe07bae8b7%2F0

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A good pair of underwear is definitely one of those little luxuries you don't think about it until you suddenly don't have them any more. And I say that as a man.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Something really weird is going on...

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1502126095507726337?t=4Vye4SHb59XMA1B4lTswZg&s=19
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1502110657675554819?t=k_JElwTvuwWAclnjCSxslQ&s=19

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I am curious about this, I was trying to search various news sites but all the results seem fairly negative on Ukraine joining the EU quickly.

...Also I can't imagine Russia would be happy about Georgia joining the EU, either.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

A nice pair of panties for a policeman's wife/girlfriend was a good way to get out of trouble in Soviet days.

Probably safer to get them one each.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Like the article says, must've lost control and somehow ended up in Croatia.

Tu-141s are pretty cool. I dig the retrofuturistic look.

Here's one that was shot down in Ukraine and secured by the locals.
https://mobile.twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501241366604656647
https://mobile.twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501286327521714176

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Are the tories still refusing to sanction their oligarch donors?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

KitConstantine posted:

Just want to throw a +1 on this. I'm cheap as hell and by my standards, even cheap bras are expensive and bras worth wearing are a legitimate luxury item. Even though everybody who has sandbags on their chest needs them, it's difficult to deal with even in ideal circumstances. And, of course, they do wear out.

As for the sheer necessity, it loving hurts to do very much if you're braless and, erm, packing a punch.

To keep this relevant, it's a bit of a strange exercise to observe Russia right now in that weird flux between capitalist consumer goods and the totalitarian planned economy. I genuinely wonder how all of those abandoned fast food joints will fare. With the information war, the extent of soft power really has my curiosity.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Deteriorata posted:

Thank you :3:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

This is the best thing

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

KitConstantine posted:

Trotsky's rolling over in his grave.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Like the article says, must've lost control and somehow ended up in Croatia.

Tu-141s are pretty cool. I dig the retrofuturistic look.

The tail seems to have what looks to be the Ukrainian trident, but highly stylized? It's kinda cutoff there. Also I think the roundels are supposed to be yellow and blue and not just yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

May there be many more like this one