Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

functional
Feb 12, 2008

It is possible. I'm doing it.

What I've read is some mobos support this and some do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

functional posted:

Is it better to run one monitor on dgpu and one on igpu or both on dgpu? Use case is gaming on one monitor, idle browser windows on the other.

If your motherboard supports simultaneously running your dGPU and iGPU, that’s probably just fine. Technically the IGP will take a chunk of system memory (and bandwidth) to do its job, but that will spare the possibility of contention for GPU resources between the browser and the game you’re using at the time. Outside of a misbehaving browser tab drinking memory or CPU time I don’t foresee an issue. That could happen if you were running both monitors on the same machine anyway.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The desktop puts such a minimal strain on the dGPU that's it's almost negligible though. I don't see why you would set it up that way unless you're trying to :awesome: and squeeze every last possible frame in a benchmark or something

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there any reason not to map hard drives to A and B now that those aren't being reserved for disk drives anymore? Is there still legacy code that's going to complain about it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
possibly? the total list of things that will technically run on windows somehow is byzantine. you can give them like, names. or i use one as my x drive :coal:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
it would be just utterly bizarre to try to read something on A: and not have a giant stupid 5.25" drive clicking futilely while it tries to read nothing

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there any reason not to map hard drives to A and B now that those aren't being reserved for disk drives anymore? Is there still legacy code that's going to complain about it?

I don't know about actual drives, but I've had my NAS homedrive mapped to B: for about two decades and I've never had issues with it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Not giving Windows any extra opportunities to gently caress up somehow is reason enough for me.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

I've han an SSD mounted to A for a few years and not had issues. We have network drives at work from A to Z too. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The A: and B: drives are for one thing each and one thing only, and I won't hear anything to the contrary. :colbert:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don’t think consumer Windows will play ball with installing to A:, but I agree it’s dumb to continue to treat A: and B: as sacrosanct because MS-DOS did. Heck, reserve those drive letters for a flash drive and SD card reader, that’s as close to a direct analogue as exists today.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

All true but we're talking about the operating system that skipped Windows 9 here :v:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Malsangoroth posted:

Argh, so it looks like the PC I built yesterday is in a no-boot situation. If the motherboard LEDs are to be believed, then it's the cpu that's the problem (DRAM was also flashing yellow but that seems to be common when the cpu isn't functioning?) I am certain that the power connectors for the CPU are well connected, on both ends. As are the power connectors for the motherboard and the graphics card. I'm also certain that the CPU is socketed correctly.

Any thread-recommended guides for this? Or should I just go ahead and RMA the CPU? There is a Microcenter nearby, but I don't know if the cost/benefit is worth it if I'm going to have to RMA anyways.

Update on this: it seemed like it was the RAM that was responsible. Swapped different sticks in and the PC booted up fine. Unfortunately that was the start of a long saga of other problems. Specifically, Windows 11 wasn't recognizing the 6600 xt I had and falling back to integrated graphics. I did a fresh reinstall without connecting to the internet and updated the drivers straight from AMD's site, but still no luck. Thinking it was maybe the graphics card, I swapped it into a different computer... and it worked fine. "Ok, maybe it's the motherboard then?" Swapped in my cousin's 6700 xt into my computer... and everything worked fine. "Maybe it's a power supply issue when only one PCIe cord is attached"? Swapped out my rmx 650 for a seasonic focus 750 and nope same issue.

Unfortunately it seems like at some point during this whole ordeal I must've shocked my motherboard / CPU with static, as of now it immediately shuts off on power-on (could at least get into the BIOS before). I didn't see or hear anything, and I was wearing a wrist strap 99.9% of the time, but there was one instance where the wrist strap connector slipped off without my knowing it. This happened while I was wiping off thermal paste from my CPU with a paper towel wetted with 99.9% IPA, and I put my processor back into the motherboard socket before realizing the wrist strap had come unattached. Lesson learned, I suppose :smith:

I've got a spare b450 aorus motherboard lying around. I was thinking of switching to a Ryzen 5 5600X; they're only $210 at Microcenter. If I'm running 32GB RAM and an RX 6600 XT, should I instead go for the $300 Ryzen 7 5800X, or would the Ryzen 5600X be good enough for 1080p gaming / occasional video editing? It doesn't seem like there is a large performance boost, except in the hard use cases for multithreading, but I don't have a good rule of thumb for figuring out bottlenecks.

Who knows, maybe the RMA for the Z690 motherboard / 12600K processor will go through and I can switch back, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 11, 2022

functional
Feb 12, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The desktop puts such a minimal strain on the dGPU that's it's almost negligible though. I don't see why you would set it up that way unless you're trying to :awesome: and squeeze every last possible frame in a benchmark or something

would love to know what it converts to in fps

if 10 fps, worth doing, if 1 fps, maybe not.

i also wanted to surface what the other pros and cons are

as a side thing, scrolling text and images, like from a busy chat, can impact performance at least in other system configurations i'm aware of

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

functional posted:

would love to know what it converts to in fps

if 10 fps, worth doing, if 1 fps, maybe not.

Try it and report back! Run a benchmark or something, it'd be interesting to hear your results

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grand Fromage posted:

I had a client that got some whitebox pcs a while back. The company set them up with the recovery volume as C: and the primary windows partition as D:. Software would frequently install to C:\Program Files\ and windows would default to writing temp files there and stuff since it was what it expected. Eventually despite doing everything I could to make sure all of their stuff was using D:, the 5gb recovery partitions started to fill up and give them errors with stuff. If you were just using them for secondary disks I doubt you'd have an issue but try to keep your main system disk as C: because up to 40 years of legacy stuff gets weird and just assumes that's where it is.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Rexxed posted:

I had a client that got some whitebox pcs a while back. The company set them up with the recovery volume as C: and the primary windows partition as D:. Software would frequently install to C:\Program Files\ and windows would default to writing temp files there and stuff since it was what it expected. Eventually despite doing everything I could to make sure all of their stuff was using D:, the 5gb recovery partitions started to fill up and give them errors with stuff. If you were just using them for secondary disks I doubt you'd have an issue but try to keep your main system disk as C: because up to 40 years of legacy stuff gets weird and just assumes that's where it is.

This is the core issue. It’s usually less about the behavior of Windows, where Microsoft has generally strived to accommodate quirks and specific requirements for its users, and more about the mountain of cruft and expectations that’s been built over four decades by the jillions of developers on the platform. When it comes to remapping A: and B: to other devices, that’s probably fine - I don’t remember the last time Windows got snitty about floppy anything with me. But if you can avoid using any drive letter but C: for your Windows install, you’re going to be better off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh yeah Windows already decided its install drive was C and I don't gently caress with that. These are extra drives.

Also I'm stoked I went with a mesh case and excessive fans, computer's idling at 28 C. CPU is 32 and the GPU is 26.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, unfortunately.

Tons of poo poo both in windows and in applications will just be absolutely hosed. And if they aren’t hosed off the batt, there’s always the future!!

Seriously though it’s not worth the risk when you have so many other letters to use.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Changing letters after using a drive is also a bad idea, right? I had some external drives connected before installing a 3rd internal one, and with them unplugged there's now a missing letter. I guess it doesn't really affect anything other than my mild ocd.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Changing letters after using a drive is also a bad idea, right? I had some external drives connected before installing a 3rd internal one, and with them unplugged there's now a missing letter. I guess it doesn't really affect anything other than my mild ocd.

It depends how you're using them. If you have stuff pointing to them like shortcuts for executables you could redo them, but if you did a full install of something on them it might be a problem. If it's just files it will be fine to change the drive letter, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rexxed posted:

It depends how you're using them. If you have stuff pointing to them like shortcuts for executables you could redo them, but if you did a full install of something on them it might be a problem. If it's just files it will be fine to change the drive letter, though.

It's from my previous PC, and has installs from back then as well as recent ones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If stuff is installed it's a problem. If it's just a file drive it doesn't matter.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I love 5.25 and 3.5" drive bays and I'm angry they're disappearing 😡💢:argh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Suspect A posted:

Same; I've resolved to eliminate spinning hard disks from my upcoming build and have gone a step further to get M.2 SSDs only, but I still find myself wanting an optical drive to do M-Disc.

That said... the Define 7 XL's shroud panels sucked balls to work with and I even broke a tab off last time I worked with one. How dark is the Meshify 2 XL tempered glass if I decide I can live with a USB optical drive?

e: I see it has the same shroud panels. Dangit.

e2: but you can also remove the HDD cages out the back of the shroud channel!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 11, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Case fans really do make a difference. I noticed GPU temperatures were pretty high in Fallout 76. Earlier in the day I had reduced the fan speeds to see what was nosiest, but forgot to undo the changes. When I restored my regular settings (which are fairly low anyway; ~600RPM front, ~450 bottom intake), the temperature dropped 5 degrees.

Stating the obvious, but I didn't expect that big a difference.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 11, 2022

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Suspect A posted:

The old front end cages definitely stopped making sense as a standard design, you'd have a third of the case's frame dedicated to a single hdd 9 times out of 10.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Suspect A posted:

The 00s called and wants their ugly computers back :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Why would you go out of your way to subject yourself to the horror of HDDs in a non-media-center PC in the YOOL 2022?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Find me a 14 TB SSD I can pick up for $250 and I'll take it, trust me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MSI Gaming Trio Plus 6900 XT for $1250 after rebate plus some game pack-ins (remember those?): https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6900-xt-rx-6900-xt-gaming-trio-plus-16g/p/N82E16814137716?Item=N82E16814137716

That's competitive with the ~$1300 3080 12GBs you can buy from EVGA, though they're both tough sells. Two other lower-clocked MSI models are available for the same price too (in case the above one goes out of stock i guess, these are basically the same performance):
https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6900-xt-rx-6900-xt-gaming-x-trio-16g/p/N82E16814137628?Item=N82E16814137628
https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6900-xt-rx-6900-xt-gaming-trio-16g/p/N82E16814137699?Item=N82E16814137699

Also, a 6700 XT for $600: https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-6700-xt-rx-67xtyjfdv/p/N82E16814150852?Item=N82E16814150852&quicklink=true
OC model for $630 (~3% more perf): https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-6700-xt-rx-67xtypbdp/p/N82E16814150855?Item=N82E16814150855&quicklink=true

This sits between the 3060 Ti and 3070, so that's a somewhat competitive price and "just" 25% over MSRP. This price is roughly equal to the card in that 6700 XT/motherboard combo deal I posted about yesterday, except unbundled.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 11, 2022

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the help on the case earlier guys.

I had to cancel my GPU order since I have recently moved and I forgot PayPal had my old address to ship to.
I got that all fixed and I was thinking of grabbing one of these.

Anyone have any dealings with this company, is this a an ok deal?

https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1445338

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Rakeris posted:

I've han an SSD mounted to A for a few years and not had issues. We have network drives at work from A to Z too. :shrug:

Why can't we map to AA to ZZ too? What's with this 26letter limit? LoL

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
These are all garbage, right?

https://www.costco.com/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10701&identifier=gaming-computers&sortBy=item_location_pricing_salePrice+desc

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can't see anything because i'm in a different country i think. costco prebuilts over here in the UK are done by AWD which are a totally legit SI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Link didn't work, but from what I can see, none of their currently available pre-builts are particularly attractive.

e:what's the price on this?

https://www.costco.com/ibuypower-slatemr243i-gaming-desktop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7--11700f---radeon-rx-6600.product.100847645.html

e2: I think $1,299.99. So yeah avoid.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 11, 2022

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I have to do this as connecting both my 165hz monitor and 60hz monitor to my 2080ti causes the card to ramp up clocks and make a bunch of heat for no discernable reason. Running the second monitor off of the igpu stops that poo poo immediately at the expense of a tiny slice of system RAM. Supposed to be a fixed issue, but the last time I tested it it was still happening. Only good thing about it is that having open active windows on the 60hz monitor doesn't seem to gently caress with gsync on the primary monitor this way.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

future ghost posted:

Only good thing about it is that having open active windows on the 60hz monitor doesn't seem to gently caress with gsync on the primary monitor this way.

Does it gently caress with it normally? I haven't noticed anything that seemed directly correlated, but I guess I haven't tested it with screen #2 connected to the MB either.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Maybe it's gotten better, but when I first got the monitor the hwinfo readout on the second screen kept causing it to turn freesync off momentarily. I'm not 100% sure it was causal as I also turned off freesync for windowed apps around the same time as I started using the igpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lladre posted:

Thanks for the help on the case earlier guys.

I had to cancel my GPU order since I have recently moved and I forgot PayPal had my old address to ship to.
I got that all fixed and I was thinking of grabbing one of these.

Anyone have any dealings with this company, is this a an ok deal?

https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1445338

It's a reasonable price for a 3080 Ti and a PSU together when compared to where the rest of the market is at, though it seems the XC3 cooler is a bit of an underperformer and you could end up with some issues with thermal throttling if you don't have a case with good airflow. Also, the GA power supply from EVGA is poor at handling the spikey transient loads that the 3080 Ti likes to output, and I've heard of numerous stories from people with both products experiencing sudden power loss while gaming. So I think I'd want to avoid that bundle based on that alone. The alternative would be buying a 3080 12GB directly from EVGA: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-4877-KL (edit: or from newegg with cheaper shipping: https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-12g-p5-4877-kl/p/N82E16814487553?Item=N82E16814487553)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 12, 2022