Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I would like something vicious in the arena. Like a hazard that can maul a bot or send it flying, not just give it a love tap. Put in an uppercut-level spinner somewhere to run your opponent into.

Not an instant win, but a chance for control bots to get real damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What about a large, mobile hazard? It could punish robots that go into a certain zone and could also unstick the competitors. It could be a large robot controlled by the house. A house bot if you will

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Would a house robot be poo poo? The Robot Wars implementation was a bit dumb, but one robot that can un-stick other bots or move ones that are on fire could be handy.

e;fb lol

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Norwalk has a house bot for exactly that purpose (and a mobile camera) and everyone seems to like it. It's when you get things like Matilda's butt spinner kicking the poo poo out of people that people start to disagree.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Norwalk has a house bot for exactly that purpose (and a mobile camera) and everyone seems to like it. It's when you get things like Matilda's butt spinner kicking the poo poo out of people that people start to disagree.

The last one I watched, each competitor got one unstick per round from the house bot if it was operational at the time. I think that's fair.

It adds some visual confusion to the matches though to have more robots that aren't competitors in the arena. Maybe the house bot is housed underneath the shelf and only comes out when needed?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

House robots in Robot Wars were lame if only because no one ever teamed up to try and intentionally kill one (presumably because in the rules they couldn't)

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5yjoIrQaCg

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RBA Starblade posted:

House robots in Robot Wars were lame if only because no one ever teamed up to try and intentionally kill one (presumably because in the rules they couldn't)
lol they absolutely did that

The most notable example was the Flipper Frenzy during I believe one of the Robot Wars Extremes, where four of the top tier flippers at the time were entered into a free-for-all. They instead teamed up to flip as many of the house robots as possible.

Really it's just not something you'd see during the main tournament where a win is more important, but in side events where losing doesn't mean you're out of the tournament you can go more wild. There were also many occasions where after pitting the opponent, the winning bot would go on to attack the house robots. Razer famously crushed Matilda at one point because they were planning on rebuilding her anyway so they gave Razer permission to go to town on her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao it's what I always wanted to see thank you

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think just letting the killsaws be active all fight would be an improvement, its really dumb that they only popup in the last minute

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Killsaws available the whole time, in banks controlled by the team. Push a button to make yours pop up for five seconds, then with a cooldown of ten seconds. Make pneumatic launchpads that will hurl a 250 pound object ten feet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I love Witch Doctor but will lol if they somehow lose to Rusty and don't make the playoffs at 1-2.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

The Glumslinger posted:

I think just letting the killsaws be active all fight would be an improvement, its really dumb that they only popup in the last minute

That would really mess with box rushes or fast bots, even if they aren't low ground clearance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's definitely some soft fights on the cards for the 1-1 fan favorite teams... I guess Huge is a team Switchback wanted to fight... but I doubt they were ready for Huge already... Also Lucky and Mammoth should be :lol: Mammoth isn't the best at self righting.

Madcatter & Rampage is probably a pretty easy fight for Madcatter also.

Really the only fight that will probably be interesting is Kraken & Glitch... Fusion Vs Icwave, 2 unreliable bots for a main event... will depend who doesn't break.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Knowing the seeds I feel like I know who wins out of Kraken and Glitch, and Fusion and Ice Wave. And I'll leave it at that, not even going to bother spoilering it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
lol @ HUGE v Switchback. That one is going to be weird.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
A functional switchback will be one of the few bots that can meet huge at its altitude. So I'm excited for that.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I feel like HUGE is going to hit that arm once and either rip it clean off or just launch the whole robot across the arena and win.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I feel like HUGE is going to hit that arm once and either rip it clean off or just launch the whole robot across the arena and win.

Yeah, HUGE's biggest problem is that it requires a lot of ground clearance for that weapon, which means low profile bots, or Biteforce clones with a single area that sticks out are not easy to target.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Huge honestly should've been counted out. It couldn't move in a straight line way before it knocked Switchback out

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I forget that some people see this early.

Just seen that the results are available over on Reddit, spoilers obviously, https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/tah9ao/go_here_to_discuss_the_early_showing_of_episode/

And in the spirit of spoilers, here's what I managed to find out the other day from the Battlebots site which lines up with what's on Reddit. Well, apart from where I missed off one bot at the 32 seed slot. https://pastebin.com/MxrZAmre

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, final regular-season fights.

Bloodsport-Claw Viper ruled. Did not expect Claw Viper to continue to land good shots without it's grabber/lifter. And you don't often see a horizontal spinner stay spinner shot after shot the entire 3 minutes.

Madcatter-Rampage. That's one for the highlight reels and not much else. I'm exhausted by this dude's schtick. You can just be a professor doing this with his students dude, that's fine

Switchback looked alright once it actually started moving the way they wanted. Those harder wheels for Huge don't really work. I feel like they got away with non-translational crabwalking for like 90 seconds in the middle of that fight.

Weirdly fast KO for Kraken, usually a bot that never quits. Glitch is super weird having a couple of really good KOs on good bots and also looking like it's barely operational the whole time. 3-0 ... uh ... 15 seed?

Wow, Lucky blasting that tire right off was a great shot. I think the front of Lucky's flipper has gotten torn off every match this season and it's really hobbled without it.

Oh, poor Rusty. I notice they called Mike the co-captain of Witch Doctor! He's not listed on the website but I guess he is.

lol what a lovely main event. Good lord.

Bracket chat

Shocked Sawblazed got such a good seed not being 3-0.

Might be a Sawblaze-Uppercut rematch in that quadrant.

Cobalt disrespected with a 14 seed.

Quadrant 1 is a murderer's row

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the captains of Mad Catter's "thing". Its dumb, its irritating, pack it in. This is BattleBots, not WWE.

Although having said that I did love the Plunderbirds.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
:catstare: that MadCatter hit

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, HUGE's biggest problem is that it requires a lot of ground clearance for that weapon, which means low profile bots, or Biteforce clones with a single area that sticks out are not easy to target.

HUGE is a good counter to bite force style designs though. There's not a ton they can do to him - HUGE probably would've beaten Bite Force back in like S3 or S4 if it didn't snap in half due to the damage following the ICEwave fight.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the captains of Mad Catter's "thing". Its dumb, its irritating, pack it in. This is BattleBots, not WWE.

Although having said that I did love the Plunderbirds.

British style posting detected.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Uppercut vs. Huge is gonna rule.

Legitimately shocked Shrederator got in.

Are we doing a bracket prediction contest like last year?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 11, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Huge honestly should've been counted out. It couldn't move in a straight line way before it knocked Switchback out

Bots with the larger wheel bases often get a little more leeway on the count out since they are able to move around large areas of the box even when they lose 1 side of their drive. Huge is rarely a super maneuverable bot, and even though they were struggling more than usual, they were still mostly able to get around the box.

The bots that get counted down are often just going back in forth on a small arc and not able to get around the box.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Still hoping for an absurd series of events that leads to a Shrederator victory and Brian Nave fainting on camera.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

It's really weird how many bots only had 2 matches in the prelims. Whiplash, Hypershock, Uppercut, Smee, Rampage, Ghost Raptor, Slammo, Shatter, probably others. That's like an entire extra episode.

edit: Here's my prediction brackets. Let's see your's.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 11, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I tried looking around but haven't found a good solution. If anyone knows a good fantasy / bracket prediction site, I'd happily set it up for the brackets. I found 1 that looked okay but it has a lovely ublock blocker and the most godawful ads if you turn it off...

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
This one looked good but I can't work out if its actually possible to move on and declare a winner.

https://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=dCkmcoLDub

Edit: Oh, you just need to make an account. I swear to god my brain doesn't work for the first hour of the day.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 11, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gotta go with the champ

Ribbot's bracket is noticeably easier than the other 2

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The End Game bracket is insane, almost all of them in there could win it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The End Game bracket is insane, almost all of them in there could win it.

Skorpios could go on a run through that quadrant even! Lucky is the only real dud.

They didn't even really do the play-ins right, in my opinion. Congrats, you are the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds, you'll face Skorpios and loving Hydra in the first rounds. The top of the bracket is supposed to get rewarded, not met with really good teams the committee wants to get in but can't justify by records.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Ribbot quadrant is weird because Hydra and Tombstone are so unreliable this year. If either of them can get their poo poo together, they could plow through it.

Skorpios is really good against horizontal spinners, but not so much against verticals. Though if it can beat End Game, I'll throw a scorpion themed party.

My hope is that if Copperhead and End Game go weapon to weapon, Copperhead comes out on top just due to how much bigger their drum is, like how it did with Lockjaw. Then against I predicted Copperhead going far last year and they petered out to Mammoth in the first round, so who knows.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

My hope is that if Copperhead and End Game go weapon to weapon, Copperhead comes out on top just due to how much bigger their drum is, like how it did with Lockjaw.

Could happen with Minotaur too. They have a puncher's chance for sure.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Could happen with Minotaur too. They have a puncher's chance for sure.

I feel like Copperhead has a much better ground game compared to Minotaur. It's a lot easier for a vert to throw Minotaur, thinking back to the Deathroll or Bite Force fights.

Doesn't mean Minotaur can't gently caress up End Game, just feels like Copperhead is a lot more prepped to do it (as long as they don't get gremlins)

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Copperhead's the one I've been hoping to win for the last couple of years, and they seem to have really dialled it in this year. It just a small indestructible brick with indestructible wheels and a slightly smaller spinning indestructible brick on the front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

I can't get the thought out of my head of Huge breaking Uppercuts self-righting bars and Uppercut getting stuck in a weird position.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 13, 2022