Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Night Danger Moose posted:

I know some people use Skid Plate Guy for them, I've still got the stock felt one myself.

Also wtf is up with Ford making all of the underbody paneling and wheel wells out of loving felt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Night Danger Moose posted:

I know some people use Skid Plate Guy for them, I've still got the stock felt one myself.

This is what I have on my RS after my factory felt one disintegrated in it's first Michigan winter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also wtf is up with Ford making all of the underbody paneling and wheel wells out of loving felt?

Noise reduction, they aren't the only ones

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Noise reduction, they aren't the only ones

My wife’s giant Silverado is the same way. Holds like seven pounds of mud in each one, but it’s better than the alternative which is no liners at all.

Yeah, the whee well liners are optional on the Silverado…

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where to post this, but has anyone had experience with a basemap/OTS Hondata tune for a 2nd gen TSX? I have the 4-banger wagon as a daily-driver, and I'm just looking to even out the powerband and lower the VTEC activation, so a proper dynotune seems a bit like overkill. And it seems that the big swinging e-tuners in the TSX community (lol) like Serge Bo and VItViper are no longer active, so unless anyone here can suggest a repuatble hondata e-tuner, I reckon I'll be sticking with a basemap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ran a VitViper canned tune on my 06 Si and it was great, never tried the base map. The first sign of a garbage tune is a change in power delivery at VTEC transition.

Every experience I've had with tuning is that something done by a good tuner on a dynapack is leaps and bounds better than the etune people that send out a canned tune, have you do some logs, make small revisions, etc.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Warm Hatch Summer is almost here!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Warm Hatch Summer is almost here!

put a wrap or some decals on that sucker

and some mud flaps

and some rally lights

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

put a wrap or some decals on that sucker

and some mud flaps

and some rally lights

I want to wrap it a stupid color but the local place WILL NOT get back to me with a quote

It does have one decal.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 8, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I want to wrap it a stupid color but the local place WILL NOT get back to me with a quote

It does have one decal.

do one better and get a race wrap

If you can’t do it I’m sure there’s a goon in AI/CC who’d love to do up a livery for it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Friend gave me a ride in his Mach-E to the Hyundai dealer 100 miles away to pick up my dumb new car:

It is incredibly dumb, I love it. Didn't really get a chance to mess with the settings or anything much yet, basically just put my money down, drove to get some food (...and charge the Mach-E) then back home. Reviews mentioned the softest suspension setting was still pretty stiff...and yeah :v:. Not sure if it's harder or not than my 08 Mini (w/sport suspension option) but was in a similar ballpark of stiff but fine, at least cause I've been used to it I guess.

About the only thing I messed with while driving was changing one of the custom modes to turn everything down, while the other by default has everything maxed out (I think you can set two custom plus the maxed default?). Basically just playing around toggling between like a quiet/eco mode and stupid loud mode, but mostly just to run the center tach dash display.

Oh and the lane centering/assist or whatever was pretty good, if terrifying to use having never driven with one before. Course the US spec Kona N doesn't get adaptive cruise (among other options I would've liked :argh:) but can't say I've ever been a big cruise control user to begin with, just would've liked it for slow traffic at times (in theory at least).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Those wheels are pretty cool. Congrats on the new ride.

I had no idea it was FWD-only. Sneaky sneaky selling a performance-oriented CUV when most fast CUVs/SUVs have AWD standard or at least optional.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 11, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I would totally replace my Elantra GT Sport with a //Kona if it had adaptive cruise, a softer suspension setting, and AWD. Bonus points for a huge sunroof like my car has.

Hyundai seems to have done a great job with the performance of their two most recent N models while forgetting to make them something I’d want to buy. Especially the Kona, with those cool wheels and the great blue color and whatnot. First SUV other than the Macan and full-size Range Rover that I’ve liked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/THElup_NEMc

I don’t hate it, I don’t love it. I appreciate that it’s practical and a bit tarted up vs the Si (it’s an Si hatch with alcantara and fancy seats), and that it’s so decidedly old school. It’ll probably run forever. I liked the part where the dude is bummed that there’s no panoramic sunroof, as if 400 lbs of glass in anything claiming to be an Integra could be considered a desirable thing

Love to see Honda pull a Subaru with the CVT in a car that should absolutely have a DCT or 8-speed, but also lmao at anybody buying this without a stick

https://youtu.be/S32kh1aM0r0

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I honestly don't hate it, but seems pretty pricey for 200hp when Hyundai is putting the 2.0T in cars like the one posted above which would be a way more fun car (aside from only being an 8 speed DCT).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Most Integras are going to be sold with the godforsaken CVT.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just don't know who it's appealing to. It's not fast enough for it's price tag and it's too safe in every way

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm intrigued, but also, shove the NFT up your rear end, Honda

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean i love the older integras. but that thing is just meh.

200hp and a lot heavier then a FiST for what $35-40kish?

nah

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i mean i love the older integras. but that thing is just meh.

200hp and a lot heavier then a FiST for what $35-40kish?

nah

yeah but this is gonna be way cushier and comfier than a FiST, and I think that’s the point.

Like I adore my FiST but lol at comfortably hauling a family in it, for all that it’s a hatchback, or being like in your 40s/50s but wanting something a bit more analog than an A3/A4/2 series/3 series, and with Honda running costs.

Plus I imagine that the aftermarket/tuning potential for this will be exactly as vast as the Civic’s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its an integra: it's a fancier nicer civic

that's what the integra has always been and people are getting all hosed up in their minds thinking that the only thing was the ITR or the GS-R. this is like the base loving integra RS or GS or whatever the gently caress it was called that acura sold thousands and thousands of that nobody gives a poo poo about.

what will be interesting is if there is a performance version

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if they do a type-s thats all supersexy maybe.. didnt even think about the aftermarket scene.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its an integra: it's a fancier nicer civic

that's what the integra has always been and people are getting all hosed up in their minds thinking that the only thing was the ITR or the GS-R. this is like the base loving integra RS or GS or whatever the gently caress it was called that acura sold thousands and thousands of that nobody gives a poo poo about.

what will be interesting is if there is a performance version
I mean, it doesn't literally have to be a fancier civic. I don't get this argument, the market has changed, where does this car fit?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

I mean, it doesn't literally have to be a fancier civic. I don't get this argument, the market has changed, where does this car fit?

it’s a fancier nicer civic

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, we'll see what the US market demand is for a fancy civic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean i absolutely agree, the market has changed and therefore Acura should only be shipping CUVs

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean i absolutely agree, the market has changed and therefore Acura should only be shipping CUVs
Probably yeah. Kind of what I was hinting at, the idea that this market has room for two civics is weird, but I may be wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rusty posted:

i am curious what you think they should have done that would be very in demand in the US market

edit: to be clear I don't think the car will actually be successful at all, but like... nothing in this segment is, really. it's mostly vanity projects and also the GTI which VW has hosed up

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am curious what you think they should have done that would be very in demand in the US market

edit: to be clear I don't think the car will actually be successful at all, but like... nothing in this segment is, really. it's mostly vanity projects and also the GTI which VW has hosed up
it seems to me cars like this are bought up by enthusiasts, even the GTIs and Rs with the terrible interior are super popular. I just don't know where this ends up, I think the Hyundai N line is much more interesting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rusty posted:

it seems to me cars like this are bought up by enthusiasts, even the GTIs and Rs with the terrible interior are super popular. I just don't know where this ends up, I think the Hyundai N line is much more interesting.

to you personally, sure. to me, it's too loud and obnoxious and 2fast2furious for every day driving.

the GTI sells 22,000 units in the US, peak sales year in 2017. It was half that in 2019. The 86 has sold up to 6,000 units. The cars may be bought by enthusiasts but the number of enthusiasts spending money on new cars is very small. The cars exist because people at car companies like and believe in them, not because there's money in it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Maybe I am wrong here on sales figures, I'll just drop this since I am not really interested in the Integra anyway.

yeah, you are right, they barely sell anything. To be honest, I thought the GTI number was in the 50k area, but it's not. So if the Integra is just because then sure, put out a cheap drivetrain and make it look nice.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 11, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It sucks man, this segment of compact performance is very dead and becoming more dead. At least someone's putting forth a new offering.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The Integra has always been a nicer Civic Part of being nicer (in the US market at least) has always meant getting, at minimum, the best engine you could get in a Civic as the standard motor in an Integra, with something exclusive available as an option.

The first gen Acura Integra had a twin cam 1.6L when Civics got 1.5L and 1.6L SOHC motors.

The second gen got a twin-cam 1.8L standard and a 1.7L VTEC engine as an option. USDM Civics got various 1.6L SOHC engines.

Similar story with the third generation cars, though the VTEC engines were now 1.8L. Civics were again running around with 1.6L SOHC engines.

The fourth generation car, now called RSX, was the closest to the Civic powertrain-wise. The base RSX got the same motor as the top-of-the-line Civic Si but could be optioned with an automatic transmission that wasn't offered in the Civic Si of the time. The RSX Type-S got an extra 40 hp on top of that.

The new Integra gets the same engine in the same tune as the Civic Si. The absolute minimum Honda could have done is launched the Integra with either a 20-hp power bump OR offered a GS-R/Type-S/Type-R from the start with a turbo K-series engine of some variety coupled to a standard manual transmission.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It sucks man, this segment of compact performance is very dead and becoming more dead. At least someone's putting forth a new offering.
I guess I wonder why the 2.0T in the accord doesn't end up anywhere else. Maybe it's a dead market but I can only imagine the reception of an Integra with that engine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

Probably yeah. Kind of what I was hinting at, the idea that this market has room for two civics is weird, but I may be wrong.

Let me pretend to be Honda and try to see the logic here:

This is priced basically in line with the top trim Civic models. The Civic Touring Limited or whatever it’s called is like $34,995.

Honda could’ve added more forks to the Civic line-up and created sportier versions of the top trim lines. People definitely asked for it when the Si was revealed to once again have a basic interior.

The $30-$40k sporty car market is pretty hot* these days, and it bleeds into the luxury market.

Honda probably correctly assumes that by giving the $30-40k “Sport Touring” branch of the Civic tree to Acura and reviving a legendary nameplate with enthusiast caché, that they can maximize sales, where people might otherwise balk at “an expensive Civic”. The Civic Type R is the outlier because it’s already a cult/fanbase car.

*Hot in terms of competition and entrants, if not sales volume.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 11, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PBCrunch posted:

The Integra has always been a nicer Civic Part of being nicer (in the US market at least) has always meant getting, at minimum, the best engine you could get in a Civic as the standard motor in an Integra, with something exclusive available as an option.

Yes but that was only a US market thing.

The Integra was never supposed to be 'fancier' than a Civic or Accord, it was just the model that slotted between them in size.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I'm not going to look up numbers, but I don't believe the Integra has ever been any larger than a Civic of the same era. I think the RSX was actually smaller than a Civic (shorter at least).

Has Honda even announced whether or not the new, US-built (for the first time) Integra will be offered in markets outside North America?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rusty posted:

I mean the Accord seems to be doing fine…

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PBCrunch posted:

The fourth generation car, now called RSX, was the closest to the Civic powertrain-wise. The base RSX got the same motor as the top-of-the-line Civic Si but could be optioned with an automatic transmission that wasn't offered in the Civic Si of the time. The RSX Type-S got an extra 40 hp on top of that.

The new Integra gets the same engine in the same tune as the Civic Si. The absolute minimum Honda could have done is launched the Integra with either a 20-hp power bump OR offered a GS-R/Type-S/Type-R from the start with a turbo K-series engine of some variety coupled to a standard manual transmission.

As you say, the EP3 Civic Si and RSX with the K20A3 shared the same motor but the forgotten one here is the EP3 Civic Type R with the same K20A2 as the RSX Type S had.

The new Civic and Civic Si share the same L15 with different turbos strapped to them, just like the K20C in the Accord is pretty similar to the K20C in the Type R with a smaller turbo and a few small tweaks.

I think everyone just needs some patience and we may eventually get the Integra Type-R with the CTR turbo K20C that few people will buy anyway.

My only wish is that they don't go the direction that BMW M cars have gone.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PBCrunch posted:

I'm not going to look up numbers, but I don't believe the Integra has ever been any larger than a Civic of the same era. I think the RSX was actually smaller than a Civic (shorter at least).

The first, second and third gen all slotted neatly between the Civic and Accord in size. The forth/final gen was a different sort of vehicle (being coupe only)