Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why don't you just say "increased daily number of clients served from 3 to 15"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah drop KPI. Whatever boost in ATS is washed by the huge drag on human readability

And if possible a result. Adding X to revenue or whatever.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Also 3 to 15 is not a 500% increase, it's a 400% increase.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why don't you just say "increased daily number of clients served from 3 to 15"

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah drop KPI. Whatever boost in ATS is washed by the huge drag on human readability

And if possible a result. Adding X to revenue or whatever.
Will do that. Thank you.

moana posted:

Also 3 to 15 is not a 500% increase, it's a 400% increase.
And that is why I post here before making final changes to the resume. Whoops.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My old CEO reached out to see if I wanted to talk about some positions in his new company. I said sure, why not.

And now they're ramming through all interviews across a three day span, without defining the position or a sense of compensation. This is crazy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Omne posted:

My old CEO reached out to see if I wanted to talk about some positions in his new company. I said sure, why not.

And now they're ramming through all interviews across a three day span, without defining the position or a sense of compensation. This is crazy.

Well drat thats great! I remember a while back you were planning to quit your current?/last? place, howd that turn out?

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

After much procrastination, I'm finally beginning work on making my own resumes and applying places. However, one of the positions I'm thinking of applying for requires a list of 3 references up front, which I have a few questions about. And again, it could be I'm overthinking things, but....

First up, I'm a little unsure of who I should pick. The people who come to mind are:

My former boss, who brought me on as a full-time staff member and who wanted to make me the manager of our program, which I refused. I know I can rely on her for a great reference, and she's still active in the office on a part-time basis. My only reservation is that she's not currently my superior, nor has she been for a few years now.

The assistant to our college's dean. She doesn't have any formal authority over us, but my boss reports to her, as did I when I was informally serving as manager. We don't always see eye-to-eye, but at the end of the day, I can expect her to give a good account of my skills and abilities.

My coworker who I've been helping and whose resume I posted upthread. I know he'd give me a glowing reference, but since I started out as his superior and we now occupy the same position, I'm not sure of how much a glowing reference from him is worth.

A former instructor, coworker, and project collaborator who I worked with to complete some huge course rewrites. Like with my other coworker, she technically didn't outrank me within our office, but she was mainly employed in a higher-status and higher-prestige position in the main foreign language department, so her word would theoretically carry a lot more weight.

Finally, my present boss. She's the most obvious choice, but I definitely have my reservations since we've come into conflict several times. I actually started out as her superior, where I made some decisions on inter-office politics that she did not appreciate. Similarly, when she became my boss, there was a very uncomfortable adjustment period while we figured out the new office dynamics. We've reached an stable, if not necessarily amicable, working relationship and things have been better in the last year and a half. Furthermore, we both respect each others' abilities and achievements. However, there's definitely no particular love lost between us. I don't think she'd trash me in a phonecall or anything, but I wonder if our cool relationship might outweigh the fact that she's my current direct superior.

Given those options, I would guess I should reach out to my former boss, the dean's assistant, and my project collaborator, but I'd be happy to hear any opinions to the contrary.

Which brings me to the second question, which is about one of those sourceless little bits of wisdom that floats around and is very probably wrong/stupid/out of date. I've always heard you want to be explicit in asking that someone's willing to provide a positive reference. (I would have thought that was implied but...) That's not a problem for most of my options, but were I to choose my boss, I"m unsure of how I would word the question. Is it as simple as, "Would you be willing to serve as a positive reference for my job search?" Should I find a less direct way of wording it? Or should I just be avoiding using her?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Go with the people you know would be glowing. Former boss, coworker, former instructor gives you a nice range of people. Don't overthink this, their relative positions in your org won't be scrutinized.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Orgs usually get that you're not going to put your current boss as a reference even if it would be glowing. So that isn't a problem. It might actually be a red flag if they demand that...

Defdefdef make sure whoever you use is 100% in your corner and knows how to talk to strangers though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CarForumPoster posted:

Well drat thats great! I remember a while back you were planning to quit your current?/last? place, howd that turn out?

Yeah it's going almost too quickly, I've barely had a chance to do any research on the company or think if its something I really want.

I'm still at the place I joined last summer. Fended off the hiring of a VP over me, but looks like they'll be hiring a CPO, which I think I'm ok with. Someone to provide some cover. They're redoing salaries to go from 50th percentile of local market to like 75th percentile of the bay area, which in theory should bring me a pretty big raise; depending on how that goes, this other opportunity could look much better.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Scatsby posted:

Is it as simple as, "Would you be willing to serve as a positive reference for my job search?" Should I find a less direct way of wording it? Or should I just be avoiding using her?
If you have to ask someone to leave a positive review, don't use them as a reference, IMHO. Why take the chance?

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Made it to the third round of interviews! :woop:

Unfortunately, I have no desire to work for a company that distrusts its workers so much they will subject them to random drug testing. Initial drug testing is par for the course in the healthcare field, but random drug testing? Not so much. Seeing as I have no real desire to work here, I may even ask if they can just waive the drug testing policy for me- keep things exciting and fresh (I am not going to do this).

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Both of the hospitals I've worked at had random drug testing, but I have no sense on whether that's true or not.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

Made it to the third round of interviews! :woop:

Unfortunately, I have no desire to work for a company that distrusts its workers so much they will subject them to random drug testing. Initial drug testing is par for the course in the healthcare field, but random drug testing? Not so much. Seeing as I have no real desire to work here, I may even ask if they can just waive the drug testing policy for me- keep things exciting and fresh (I am not going to do this).

A friend works for a place with random drug testing. IIRC they may even test for nicotine. She got drug tested when she started and in 6 years she has not been drug tested.

Now always, but often those drug policies are only for building a case to terminate someone. Businesses want to be able to point to a written doc that says they can fire you for pissing hot and they can fire you for refusing.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I should have mentioned the deal-breaker was the type of travel required. They will reimburse me for gas, and cover lodging, but I have to use my own vehicle. If they want to fly me out to places, I'm fine, but using my car sounds like a losing proposition for me, at least at the pay rate they're offering (the number being thrown around was 50k).

I do feel a bit insane for being picky since this is one of three interviews I've managed to snag since I started searching, but I don't think I would be very happy under these conditions. Desperation and good decisions rarely go hand in hand.

I am still planning on doing the third round of interviews, just to get some more experience under my belt.

Also, I live in an at-will state, so they don't even need a drug test to fire anyone, really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure about the UK because I haven't bothered to check, but I know there's nothing in Irish law that requires an employee to submit to drug testing unless they agreed to it in their contracts. Even with being what is technically known as "a dry shite" I'd still refuse because gently caress any employer telling me what I can and can't do outside of work hours.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CarForumPoster posted:

A friend works for a place with random drug testing. IIRC they may even test for nicotine. She got drug tested when she started and in 6 years she has not been drug tested.

Now always, but often those drug policies are only for building a case to terminate someone. Businesses want to be able to point to a written doc that says they can fire you for pissing hot and they can fire you for refusing.

I've worked at two places that did "random" drug testing and at both of them they really didn't even maintain a pretense of it actually being random. The people who got "randomly" tested were invariably people already known to be out of favor with management.

Trickortreat posted:

Also, I live in an at-will state, so they don't even need a drug test to fire anyone, really.

They might if the person they wish to fire belongs to any protected class and they want to avoid a lawsuit. (e: also if you get fired for popping positive you can forget about getting unemployment comp)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I know for a fact some federal contracts used to require drug testing, I am not sure if they still do. I wouldn't be surprised if some state contracts do too. So it being there may not be a company culture thing but a "It's how we make our money", and will most likely just be theater then. I mean, not as a reason not to avoid the job but it might not be their driver.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well the company I’m working for is going downhill (i.e. cutting costs), so I’ve been putting in applications everywhere. Well, in the process I applied to a company via a link from their job listing on Glassdoor, and it took me to a page that my millennial rear end thought I was required to fill out for the application.

Now I’m getting no fewer than fifteen emails/text messages/phone calls a day from companies I never applied to, because they are not aerospace companies or airlines, all because I have a limited bit of marketing experience that is on my resume. I’m assuming this was some kind of scam deal whereby they sent my resume all over the goddamn internet, meaning I consented to something I didn’t know I consented to.

How the gently caress do I stop this poo poo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You don't

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You're supposed to have a professional sounding @gmail email address and a burner number dedicated for all job applications, right?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

They might if the person they wish to fire belongs to any protected class and they want to avoid a lawsuit. (e: also if you get fired for popping positive you can forget about getting unemployment comp)

Yea it's this.

Even in an at will state, most employers will build a CYA case to fire someone. Its for more than just unemployment, there is a long list of relatively common reasons terminated employees bring lawsuits. Having a paper trail helps companies squeeze the other side and have something to push back with. Some common ones are (as Eric mentioned) protected class (federally under Title VII this is age, disability, gender & sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, marriage and pregnancy), but also being a whistleblower under several statutes, facing retaliation for many protected reasons, being on protected leave, being a cryptocurrency enthusiast, the list goes on and on of things one can claim as causes of action.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Salami Surgeon posted:

You're supposed to have a professional sounding @gmail email address and a burner number dedicated for all job applications, right?

My email address is solid, or at least it isn’t 420_joker_6969@netzero.com

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

life is killing me posted:

My email address is solid, or at least it isn’t 420_joker_6969@netzero.com

OP was saying you should have a professional sounding burner email address so that when inevitably something like what happened to you happens, it's not in your normal email.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
could i get some feedback on my email address then? its oklahomo69@lycos.com

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, there are varying ways you can slow the flood a bit. Not all of them are super legal though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CarForumPoster posted:

...but also being a whistleblower under several statutes, facing retaliation for many protected reasons, being on protected leave, being a cryptocurrency enthusiast, the list goes on and on of things one can claim as causes of action.

Can you explain that one?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Some cryptobro on Twitter was whining about it not being a protected class because people were mean to him.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quackles posted:

Can you explain that one?

Its a joke ref to my red text: ""CRYPTOCURRENCY ENTHUSIAST" IS NOT A PROTECTED CLASS"

I got it in the YOSPOS interviewing thread because one poster who was an IC on a hiring panel declined a candidate because he asked "what are some technologies you're excited about?" and the candidate answered "blockchain". The OP was overruled and said the candidate turned out to be a good hire. The job was for computer touching but did not involve blockchain and no follow up questions like "why blockchain?" were asked.

I don't hold any crypto or really "get" the value of the blockchain but to me this is an example of how negativity bias leads to hiring discrimination even in well meaning people. After 100+ interviews I see that people from different backgrounds will give answers that seem dumb when I view them through the lens of my experiences, but once they explain why it makes a lot of sense. (Or is really dumb and I don't hire them.) There are plenty of good and bad reasons why that dude could have answered blockchain, but since he wasn't asked, imposing the OP's own biases regarding blockchain led to the wrong decision.

Several posters then informed OP he was doing the lords work and I got this red text. TBH I kinda like it...I do post about hiring and employment law stuff a fair amount.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 11, 2022

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I tried to add some more specifics and metrics into my resume bullet points, but now I'm worried it looks too bloated. Could I get some feedback on it, please? I am having trouble balancing readability and including hard numbers. I got the percentage from some napkin math (took the cost of a visit and multiplied it by the client count). The biggest thing I want to convey in my resume is that I did all the duties of a CSM, onboarding, upselling, cross-selling, and also wanted to bring to forefront the fact that I have experience as a operations manager.

• Managed accounts of 100+ clients per week, coordinating the
    logistics of scheduling handoffs and onboarding.
  • Performed full-cycle CSM duties for 15-20 clients a day,
    upselling and cross-selling services to improve the customer
    experience and maximize customer lifetime value.
  • Leveraged my experience as an operations manager to increase
    daily client count from 3 to 20 in just two years, leading to
    650% increase in total clinic revenue. We brought in two new
    associates and made plans to open a satellite clinic as a result.

It used to read

• Managed a caseload of 15-20 clients a day, upselling and
    cross-selling services to maximize customer lifetime value.
  • Identified roadblocks, formulated solutions, and recorded
    detailed documentation to help clients reach their goals.
  • Collaborated with cross-functional teams to rethink customer
    engagement strategy and decrease client churn rate.

In all honesty, I think I should spend some time away from my resume. I think the constant adding and removing and deleting is starting to cloud my judgement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"We brought in two new associates and made plans" is in a non-matching tense and sounds weird. As does "Leveraged my" Rephrase to something like

Leveraged experiences as an operations manager to increase
daily client count from 3 to 20 in two years, increasing clinical revenue by 650%. Oversaw expansion of 2 associates and started the process to expand to a new satellite clinic

something like that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

Its a joke ref to my red text: ""CRYPTOCURRENCY ENTHUSIAST" IS NOT A PROTECTED CLASS"

I got it in the YOSPOS interviewing thread because one poster who was an IC on a hiring panel declined a candidate because he asked "what are some technologies you're excited about?" and the candidate answered "blockchain". The OP was overruled and said the candidate turned out to be a good hire. The job was for computer touching but did not involve blockchain and no follow up questions like "why blockchain?" were asked.

I don't hold any crypto or really "get" the value of the blockchain but to me this is an example of how negativity bias leads to hiring discrimination even in well meaning people. After 100+ interviews I see that people from different backgrounds will give answers that seem dumb when I view them through the lens of my experiences, but once they explain why it makes a lot of sense. (Or is really dumb and I don't hire them.) There are plenty of good and bad reasons why that dude could have answered blockchain, but since he wasn't asked, imposing the OP's own biases regarding blockchain led to the wrong decision.

Several posters then informed OP he was doing the lords work and I got this red text. TBH I kinda like it...I do post about hiring and employment law stuff a fair amount.
Oh wow, your redtext completely slipped my mind. I have actually seen that thread on Twitter and found it extremely :allears: because it was combined with a huge pile of white middle class dude cluelessness about what a "protected class" actually means.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Trickortreat posted:

• Managed accounts of 100+ clients per week, coordinating the
    logistics of scheduling handoffs and onboarding.
  • Performed full-cycle CSM duties for 15-20 clients a day,
    upselling and cross-selling services to improve the customer
    experience and maximize customer lifetime value.
  • Leveraged my experience as an operations manager to increase
    daily client count from 3 to 20 in just two years, leading to
    650% increase in total clinic revenue. We brought in two new
    associates and made plans to open a satellite clinic as a result.

I dont know the details of the position you're going for, but as a lay person, that 3rd bullet seems way more impressive than the other two

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

please dont say leveraged

edit: everything up to "manager" in the third bullet is useless drivel, sorry if this is harsh but poo poo like this really bothers me

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Lockback posted:

"We brought in two new associates and made plans" is in a non-matching tense and sounds weird. As does "Leveraged my" Rephrase to something like

Leveraged experiences as an operations manager to increase
daily client count from 3 to 20 in two years, increasing clinical revenue by 650%. Oversaw expansion of 2 associates and started the process to expand to a new satellite clinic

something like that
That sounds so much better. Thank you!

Happiness Commando posted:

I dont know the details of the position you're going for, but as a lay person, that 3rd bullet seems way more impressive than the other two
A lot of the jobs seem to favor people with account management experience, so I wanted to cater to that, but I will give thought to moving it up higher. Thank you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please dont say leveraged

edit: everything up to "manager" in the third bullet is useless drivel, sorry if this is harsh but poo poo like this really bothers me
I don't think it's harsh if it's honest. I'll remove that portion and stick to what's important.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to read and give me feedback. It has a been a huge help. Thanks again!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I'm helping my mom's friend from Ukraine prepare a resume as a baker/pastry chef. They asked to write it in english, even though I doubt it's the lingua franca among European bakers.

But whatever, I could translate it into local languages later. Would a bakery even consider interviewing or hiring remotely? I'm thinking she'd have to move somewhere first and then apply on the spot...

quote:

Name, location, email address.

Education
Art school: Pottery artist
College: Art History

Courses and certificates
Bread baking: Denis Suchovy, 20xx
Gingerbread: Tatiana Svirko, 20xx
Chocolate: Alla Skoropad, 20xx
Mousse fruit modeling (???) Dasha Tuleneva, 20xx
Cheesecakes, honey cakes: Marusa Manko, 20xx

Experience
2005 – 2022 Own business
Artisanal, hand-made greeting cards
20xx-20xx Home baker
20xx-20xx Baker Bothers Baker, confectioner (pastry cook?)
20xx-20xx “Admiral” country club Baker

I've asked for more details but that's literally all I have to work with right now. I think at a minimum I'd need actual dates for everything and names of schools, and some description of what happened at those jobs. I only really have experience as a computer toucher so I've no idea what would be appropriate to include. I assume these photos of the results would be a good idea?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Does she have a Visa to work in whatever country she's applying for? That's your first hurdle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Does she have a Visa to work in whatever country she's applying for? That's your first hurdle.
Probably not right now but EU countries are letting everyone in for a year under the temporary protection directive and I think most countries allow people to work during this period. E.g., for Sweden (because they have a clear English versoin)

quote:

EU Member States have decided to activate the Temporary Protection Directive. This means that Ukrainian citizens and persons who are refugees or have subsidiary protection in Ukraine and have left Ukraine after the Russian invasion can get immediate protection and a temporary residence permit.

Immediately upon application, you can right now get help with food and accommodation, if you have an urgent need for it.

Once you have received your permit you will, in addition to food and housing, have the right to work, the right to seek basic care, the right to schooling for children, and certain financial support in Sweden.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey guys, I'm helping my mom's friend from Ukraine prepare a resume as a baker/pastry chef. They asked to write it in english, even though I doubt it's the lingua franca among European bakers.

But whatever, I could translate it into local languages later. Would a bakery even consider interviewing or hiring remotely? I'm thinking she'd have to move somewhere first and then apply on the spot...

I've asked for more details but that's literally all I have to work with right now. I think at a minimum I'd need actual dates for everything and names of schools, and some description of what happened at those jobs. I only really have experience as a computer toucher so I've no idea what would be appropriate to include. I assume these photos of the results would be a good idea?

This is a tough one. Advice on resume/hiring norms tend to vary by country, industry and culture. Most posters who hire ITT are USA and more technical. You've got a host of "it depends" situations that will come up for this person, so its worth seeking out a european person who hires bakers to get their advice. Awesome you're helping them though! I'll try to help a bit too. I'm in the USA and have hired for roles in sales, office admins, lawyers, engineers, never worked in a bakery or restaurant. I hire mostly remote.

I have no idea if a baker would be hired remotely and in 2 years of posting ITT I don't recall a bakers resume. I'd check out GWS or other parts of the forum, see if theres a pro bakers thread, maybe that has some EU-goons who are pros. I'd maybe even call a few bakeries and ask these ?s. There may be a bakery that is sympathetic to the situation in Ukraine and for the right person would take some risk.

I think names and month-specific dates are a given, regardless of job or county. A specific degree obtained in college.

100% You should include those pictures. They're loving beautiful. I'd maybe come up with a 1-2 line story for the pics. I can't imagine a bakery that neds someone, sees those pics, the person has 18 years running their own business and are like yea I can safely not talk to this person.

They need a resume, but they'll also just need some leg work. This is a job for a drip email campaign to 40 or 50 bakeries. You can send 50 emails in an hour if you're efficient and you can probably find 50 bakeris in the locations you want just through Yelp or similar sites. Make a google sheet with these fields and a column that has the email text so you can just paste and send. Remember, dont try to say everything in the email. The emails need to be SHORT. The goal is to get them on the phone, not to pitch in the email. My email below is probably too long, absolutely do not exceed this length. They must be personalized. Play it by ear with regard to how hard you make it seem like a foregone conclusion she'll make it there.

Subject: Amazing Ukrainian baker
Email 1 Body:
"Hi [First Name], a good friend had to leave her bakery that she's run in [City], Ukraine since 2005 because of the invasion. I'm helping her find a place in [Business City] and thought [Business Name's] beautiful cakes on [Yelp] would be a perfect match for her skills. (If her bakery has reviews on Google or Yelp that are good.) Her bakery is [Bakery Name with link to reviews in the local language version of google].

Want to chat with her? She's hoping to relocate there in [April, or whenevers 1-2 months away].

Here's some of her work and her resume: [Short url to resume]

[Beautiful Pic 1], [Beautiful pic 2]

I put her on CC so you can chat directly. (if she has email access, get them in touch with here as easily as possible)

Hope its a good match,
Your Name
Your Phone

Email 2 body, sent 3 business days later, same email thread:
Hi again, want to chat with my Ukrainian Baker friend? She's available to work in [City Name] as soon as [Month].

Chat soon,
Your Name
Your Phone

Email 3 body, sent 3 business days later
Hi [First Name], Hope I'm not bugging you. If you're not looking to hire right now, it'd help tremendously if you can suggest some friends that may be hiring or provide any feedback on her resume or porfolio pics.

Could I have a few minutes of your thoughts on how to find a bakers role for her in [City Name]?

EDIT: If you wanna be really diligent, top of her resume indicate she'll be relocating to a city near where she's applying for every job.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

This is a tough one. Advice on resume/hiring norms tend to vary by country, industry and culture. Most posters who hire ITT are USA and more technical. You've got a host of "it depends" situations that will come up for this person, so its worth seeking out a european person who hires bakers to get their advice. Awesome you're helping them though! I'll try to help a bit too. I'm in the USA and have hired for roles in sales, office admins, lawyers, engineers, never worked in a bakery or restaurant. I hire mostly remote.

I have no idea if a baker would be hired remotely and in 2 years of posting ITT I don't recall a bakers resume. I'd check out GWS or other parts of the forum, see if theres a pro bakers thread, maybe that has some EU-goons who are pros. I'd maybe even call a few bakeries and ask these ?s. There may be a bakery that is sympathetic to the situation in Ukraine and for the right person would take some risk.

I think names and month-specific dates are a given, regardless of job or county. A specific degree obtained in college.

100% You should include those pictures. They're loving beautiful. I'd maybe come up with a 1-2 line story for the pics. I can't imagine a bakery that neds someone, sees those pics, the person has 18 years running their own business and are like yea I can safely not talk to this person.

They need a resume, but they'll also just need some leg work. This is a job for a drip email campaign to 40 or 50 bakeries. You can send 50 emails in an hour if you're efficient and you can probably find 50 bakeris in the locations you want just through Yelp or similar sites. Make a google sheet with these fields and a column that has the email text so you can just paste and send. Remember, dont try to say everything in the email. The emails need to be SHORT. The goal is to get them on the phone, not to pitch in the email. My email below is probably too long, absolutely do not exceed this length. They must be personalized. Play it by ear with regard to how hard you make it seem like a foregone conclusion she'll make it there.

Subject: Amazing Ukrainian baker
Email 1 Body:
"Hi [First Name], a good friend had to leave her bakery that she's run in [City], Ukraine since 2005 because of the invasion. I'm helping her find a place in [Business City] and thought [Business Name's] beautiful cakes on [Yelp] would be a perfect match for her skills. (If her bakery has reviews on Google or Yelp that are good.) Her bakery is [Bakery Name with link to reviews in the local language version of google].

Want to chat with her? She's hoping to relocate there in [April, or whenevers 1-2 months away].

Here's some of her work and her resume: [Short url to resume]

[Beautiful Pic 1], [Beautiful pic 2]

I put her on CC so you can chat directly. (if she has email access, get them in touch with here as easily as possible)

Hope its a good match,
Your Name
Your Phone

Email 2 body, sent 3 business days later, same email thread:
Hi again, want to chat with my Ukrainian Baker friend? She's available to work in [City Name] as soon as [Month].

Chat soon,
Your Name
Your Phone

Email 3 body, sent 3 business days later
Hi [First Name], Hope I'm not bugging you. If you're not looking to hire right now, it'd help tremendously if you can suggest some friends that may be hiring or provide any feedback on her resume or porfolio pics.

Could I have a few minutes of your thoughts on how to find a bakers role for her in [City Name]?

EDIT: If you wanna be really diligent, top of her resume indicate she'll be relocating to a city near where she's applying for every job.
Oh wow, that's really awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think to check GWS at all, I'm sure there are restaurant goons around.