Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Mourning the lady (1937)

This coming batch was originally a series of postcards for the Berlin 700th Anniversary fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I accidentally bought Lynda Barry 100 Demons,

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: :911:

Bonus: I was going through 20s/30s ads for unrelated purposes and found some suspiciously familiar friends in unfamiliar circumstances:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

THE END! I have no shame in telling you that today's comic is a callback of almost 6 months. It's all over! I hope you enjoyed the story. Bad Machinery returns with a new case on January 9th. Murder She Writes fills the gap until then - details tomorrow!

And coming up next:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know, it's largely and unequivocally a good thing that we've gotten more sensitive about our stories and more aware of modern sensibilities, media history proves all too strongly that when we don't things can easily get racist, sexist, what have you, and Prince Valiant itself is, generally speaking, better than its contemporaries; at the same time I feel like you really wouldn't get away with Boltar and that last panel today.

I actually think Boltar could work pretty well today, because he's mostly played for humour. And I think that panel works for that by basically saying "Sure Boltar is funny, but only because of the situation we've placed him in. Elsewhere he'd be horrifying, but that'snot the story we're telling now"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Would love for a writer who has a 21st-century understanding of D&D to suddenly swoop in and take over the strip right about now.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Denis Villeneuve's Dune Part Two

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo is bad machinery's fire inside about selkies? Because I remember this one the most, really freaking awesome!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Darthemed posted:

Would love for a writer who has a 21st-century understanding of D&D to suddenly swoop in and take over the strip right about now.

dustin gay, so what

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

So, Ces?

Cowslips Warren posted:

oh poo poo is bad machinery's fire inside about selkies? Because I remember this one the most, really freaking awesome!

Yeah, that's the one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's about having dreams that are a bit...

rude?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1950)

I have a lot of respect for Boltar's commitment to never wearing a shirt, no matter the weather

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery
"Putting all your savings in the Bank Of Future Embarrassment" is a great turn of phrase.

Darthemed posted:

I dunno. I'm looking forward to getting enjoyably angry at how Kelley depicts it.

Which probably means we'll both be disappointed and we'll never actually see him playing D&D.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah it's probably gonna switch over to some kind of women shopping or Ed cheating on a diet in like a day.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 19, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 22, 1919

Cat Tales February 28, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 4, 1936

Mopsy November 12, 1937

Up Front January 30, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 20, 1952

Those Were the Days May 28, 1959

Wee Pals May 27, 1966

Dogbert January 24, 1967

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiny bit of credit where it's due. Team Evans actually tried something with the art today.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Rheingold was a very large, very popular New York regional brewery; had they expanded their operations in the post-war era they could have potentially survived the consolidation of macrobrewers in the 1970's.

You may be shocked to learn that Miss Rheingold 1955 was Supremely White

quote:

Wee Pals May 27, 1966

Glad to know both sides whataboutism never goes out of style

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Tiny bit of credit where it's due. Team Evans actually tried something with the art today.

Yeah, that's a nice panel.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 15-16, 1934)

Peanuts (March 12-13, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 8 and 10, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 12-14, 1938; for this go-round, the "usual reasons" cartoon timg'd instead of spoilered (by popular demand (by which I mean one of you suggested it, and there you are))

Toonerville Folks (October 28-30, 1918)

Dok's "Wait, We're Finally Finished With 1913?" Duck (yes, because December 31, 1913)

Little Lefty (March 9-11, 1936)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

That's not a good sign.

And that's it for Axa! Unceremoniously canceled in the middle of a storyline. Apparently in 2012 Romero went and finished it up, but that was only published in Spain, it seems. I mostly enjoyed it despite some infuriating bits (Axa's taste in men, generally), it was a dumb, kinda sleazy, comic that occasionally went loving out there. I hope other people enjoyed it too! Maybe I can get back to the other comics I was posting at some point.

Also, that Mark the Great panel would make a fine avatar.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Ok, Boomer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry The gang's in a tight spot!, or ...maybe not, or Those two soldiers getting dunked on so effortlessly - you hate to see it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

Axa

That's not a good sign.

And that's it for Axa! Unceremoniously canceled in the middle of a storyline. Apparently in 2012 Romero went and finished it up, but that was only published in Spain, it seems. I mostly enjoyed it despite some infuriating bits (Axa's taste in men, generally), it was a dumb, kinda sleazy, comic that occasionally went loving out there. I hope other people enjoyed it too! Maybe I can get back to the other comics I was posting at some point.

Thanks for posting Axa! Thanks for posting, Axa...

It was a hilariously horny but silly and yet kickass comic to see.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

The Hunter Exam in Great Expectations was pretty good tho

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

catlord posted:

Axa

That's not a good sign.

loving RIP, Axa. When you were good, you were good, but that was a very rare occasion.

Thanks for posting it, Catlord :)

Classic Kevin & Kell in: egging the neighbourhood (April 10-16, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This strip is so very good :allears:

Also I want to throw in for enjoying Axa and seeing it posted.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Night Visitors

And our next Q-Rais comic is Monya the Grey (I discovered after completing it that Q-Rais prefers writing it "Monja", but it was far too late to go back and change everything), his second long-form narrative comic after ChaCha Chako.

(If you want to read ahead, the imgur albums start here: https://imgur.com/a/d3qTLR3 )

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Monya is good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/10/02

Brenda Starr 4/29 - 5/1/48

Smokey Stover 9/1/46

Everyday Movies 12/5/34

"He's so good-looking and talks so logically that I sometimes think, What does having money mean anyway?"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lol the google street car has never been where I live and I built the house 8 years ago, I got a nice looking yard if I may so myself.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "84 - Jucika At The Exhibition Of The Museum Of Hungarian Agriculture"

"85 - Jucika And The Brave Knight"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for posting Axa, catlord!

Darthemed posted:

In a parallel universe Dustin goes to play D&D and makes a bunch of new friends, and getting time away from his awful abusive family helps him get out of his funk enough to go see a therapist and start turning his life around. Having a bunch of friends at his new job would be an incentive for staying there too.

We don't live in that universe, so we'll probably get dusted-off jokes from the 80s.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know, it's largely and unequivocally a good thing that we've gotten more sensitive about our stories and more aware of modern sensibilities, media history proves all too strongly that when we don't things can easily get racist, sexist, what have you, and Prince Valiant itself is, generally speaking, better than its contemporaries; at the same time I feel like you really wouldn't get away with Boltar and that last panel today.

Hel posted:

I actually think Boltar could work pretty well today, because he's mostly played for humour. And I think that panel works for that by basically saying "Sure Boltar is funny, but only because of the situation we've placed him in. Elsewhere he'd be horrifying, but that's not the story we're telling now"

Yeah I think Boltar could still work today since he's just a comic relief side character. The brutality of what he does as an actual kill-you-and-take-your-stuff viking is a vital part of what makes him funny because of how it contrasts with his goofy personality, but it needs to stay just slightly off panel so you don't end up thinking about it too much.

To be honest I kind of view Boltar as an aspirational figure. Not the pillaging part, I hope that goes without saying. :v: But he's a guy who just eats and drinks and laughs and loves being alive, and I find that appealing, even if I don't think I would enjoy hanging out with him. I definitely don't think I would feel this way if he were a more serious character.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 12, 1950)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 12, 1950)

I've got a little bit of dust in my eye...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assumed he knew she was pregnant from the way he dealt with her kidnapper's family. But maybe he was just that angry about his daughter in law.