Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
re: some of the Moira discussion above, Paul O'Brien has a typically excellent, if belated, review of Inferno that points at a plausible explanation for one of the series' bigger flaws, namely that the reveal of Moira's ultimate plan isn't particularly clear. Basically, COVID may have hosed everything up.

quote:

Does the Moira reveal work, though? A big part of the problem is that it’s never really clear exactly what’s being revealed. It’s rather tiptoed around. Reading between the lines, the suggestion seems to be that she was going to get all the mutants together on Krakoa and generously let them live out their days in paradise while quietly drugging the world with Krakoan medicines to get rid of future generations of mutants. This always seemed like a possible direction, given that we knew as early as House of X #2 that (1) Moira had developed a cure for mutant powers in an earlier life, and (2) Krakoan drugs were very, very emphatically for humans only.

But if that’s the idea, it’s not really spelt out – the role of Krakoan medicine and its human-only customer base doesn’t actually come up in this series at all. Of course, if that’s the idea, you can see why we might be tiptoeing around it. The Hickman run started in 2019. A lot has happened since then, to put it mildly. The idea that a vitally important wonder drug would be taken by everyone is, shall we say, an even tougher sell than it was then. And if the plot was going to be “Moira laces Krakoan drugs with the cure” then two years down the line, that’s become an anti-vaccination conspiracy story. You can see why you wouldn’t want to go there. But the vagueness about how exactly Krakoa fit in to anything that Moira was planning really blunt the force of Inferno‘s main plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, the idea that Krakoan drugs are making humans "sterile" to having mutant children is not something I gleaned from anything on the page. But to be fair: it is very confusing what the gently caress the Moira twist was about and so any dot-connecting is probably as good as anything else.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And a small quip on Lives/Deaths of Wolvie... It's very weird to me that one of the things set up at the end of Inferno is Moira's Warlock Arm and she gets rid of that like 5 minutes after getting away from Krakoa. Why set that up at all if her solution is "welp just gonna cut off this arm too! i'll get another cyborg arm later!"

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Maybe it was just to show Doug's kindness in that moment. But I seriously doubt that's the reason. Moira asked Doug was this so Krakoa could track her. Even though Doug said no, Moira is paranoid enough of it in the first issue of Deaths that she chopped it off. While I was hoping she would keep the warlock arm I can see why they ditched it so quickly. Also, can't remember but did she get rid of it before Phalanx-Logab was tracking her?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I get the in-story reason for her to lose it... It's just dumb to have it be a setup coming out of your last major story only to ditch it a month later at the beginning of your next major story. What's the point of setting it up if you weren't going to use it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
another example of how ruthless this Moira is, she chopped off her own arm rather than risk having a prosthetic that could be used to track her.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think Moira's arm is a cool way to show different character perspectives; Mystique is ruthless and calculating so she chops Moira's arm off to play with Xavier and Magneto, Doug is kind even to people who may harm him, so he gives Moira a Warlock arm; Moira is also ruthless, desperate and paranoid, so she chops the arm off again.

It works on that level enough, that I don't mind that it's not setup for further plots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

radlum posted:

I think Moira's arm is a cool way to show different character perspectives; Mystique is ruthless and calculating so she chops Moira's arm off to play with Xavier and Magneto, Doug is kind even to people who may harm him, so he gives Moira a Warlock arm; Moira is also ruthless, desperate and paranoid, so she chops the arm off again.

It works on that level enough, that I don't mind that it's not setup for further plots.
It also makes Doug "Best Friends With An Alien Nanomachine Guy And Also Married A Large Alien Wife" Ramsey out to be the least deranged and vicious person in the room.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The newest X Deaths of Wolverine kind of gives some logic to Moira heel turn.

F you guys. I lived X lives trying to save Mutants and now you get your own land/culture and you gently caress me over.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

It also makes Doug "Best Friends With An Alien Nanomachine Guy And Also Married A Large Resident of a Pocket Dimension Wife" Ramsey out to be the least deranged and vicious person in the room.

looking forward to getting more Bei

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
:stare: Moria's reunion with Banshee sure is something.

Still I hope that she won't bite it in the end. Would feel like a waste to kill her and leave her character like that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Njashi9 posted:

:stare: Moria's reunion with Banshee sure is something.

Still I hope that she won't bite it in the end. Would feel like a waste to kill her and leave her character like that.

Yeah, X Lives and X Deaths is a lot.

In Sabretooth news, I wonder how Third Eye managed to break Krakoa's first law. Are condoms a pit-worthy offense?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, X Lives and X Deaths is a lot.

In Sabretooth news, I wonder how Third Eye managed to break Krakoa's first law. Are condoms a pit-worthy offense?
I'm wondering that too, I'm also wondering why Mole thinks he lost Opal Tanaka to Angel, and not to Iceman. Did Angel and Opal Tanaka have some kind of history.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

x lives is pretty boring apart from wolverine boning omega

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
If a mutant who isn't Moira gets hit with Forge's depowering gun and they die they can just be rezzed back to normal right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

If a mutant who isn't Moira gets hit with Forge's depowering gun and they die they can just be rezzed back to normal right?

Yeah.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird how four issues each in X Lives and X Deaths are still two halves of one story but X Lives is just outright dire while X Deaths has some fun stuff each issue

Caros
May 14, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Moira, we knew you were coming back to try and restore your powers.

Okay... But then why did you not only leave the mutant depowering guns intact, but fully loaded and unattended?

Im starting to think Xavier is bad at planning.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mameluke posted:

It's weird how four issues each in X Lives and X Deaths are still two halves of one story but X Lives is just outright dire while X Deaths has some fun stuff each issue

It is because x deaths has a story. X lives suffers from the fact that its story is basically a serious version of a Rick and Morty sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvxRnNucaeo

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Am I to believe that the first page of this week's X Lives implies that Wolverine had Venom in his blood during the Weapon X experiment?

Did Donnie Cates write this bullshit?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

danbanana posted:

Am I to believe that the first page of this week's X Lives implies that Wolverine had Venom in his blood during the Weapon X experiment?

Later in the issue they note that it comes from Web of Venom: Ve'nam #1, which yes was written by Donny Cates, but I don't remember that one shot at all.

Caros
May 14, 2008

danbanana posted:

Web of venom, Ve'nam is wack poo poo.

Nick Fury needs a supersoldier, they find the grendel symbiote in scandanavia and he shoves bits of it onto five guys then sends them into Vietnam as special forces.

Shockingly this does not go as planned.

As a result he calls in Wolverine and sends him into Vietnam in order to hunt down the soldiers before things get more out of hand.

Wolverine gets infected at some point in the comic, then gets it burned off him. I think the running theory is that he has some leftover in him when he is getting studied.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Caros posted:

Web of venom, Ve'nam is wack poo poo.

Nick Fury needs a supersoldier, they find the grendel symbiote in scandanavia and he shoves bits of it onto five guys then sends them into Vietnam as special forces.

Shockingly this does not go as planned.

As a result he calls in Wolverine and sends him into Vietnam in order to hunt down the soldiers before things get more out of hand.

Wolverine gets infected at some point in the comic, then gets it burned off him. I think the running theory is that he has some leftover in him when he is getting studied.

OK... The end of this issue of X Lives seems to imply that Cornelius was originally going to weaponize the symbiote in Logan and only did the adamantium thing after that went bad.

Which sucks.

Also, does this shift the Weapon X thing to the 70s, since it is post-American involvement in Vietnam? Was that previously the case?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wait is it actually Vietnam or that fake war Mark Waid invented in Complete History of the Marvel Universe to detach characters with Vietnam War origins like Punisher and Iron-Man from the actual Vietnam War?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

danbanana posted:

OK... The end of this issue of X Lives seems to imply that Cornelius was originally going to weaponize the symbiote in Logan and only did the adamantium thing after that went bad.

Which sucks.

Also, does this shift the Weapon X thing to the 70s, since it is post-American involvement in Vietnam? Was that previously the case?
Having just now read a synopsis of Web of Venom: Ve'Nam and not the comic (someone correct me) it seems that took place before he was in Weapon X and we know he ends up in the covert ops team with Sabertooth and Maverick before he ends up in Weapon X, as well, so no, I don't think this places Weapon X in the 70s, really, since the implication is he had the symbiote hanging out in his blood for awhile.

Skwirl posted:

Wait is it actually Vietnam or that fake war Mark Waid invented in Complete History of the Marvel Universe to detach characters with Vietnam War origins like Punisher and Iron-Man from the actual Vietnam War?
It's explicitly stated to be Vietnam in X Lives of Wolverine, and the synopsis I read also mentions Viet Cong.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

Having just now read a synopsis of Web of Venom: Ve'Nam and not the comic (someone correct me) it seems that took place before he was in Weapon X and we know he ends up in the covert ops team with Sabertooth and Maverick before he ends up in Weapon X, as well, so no, I don't think this places Weapon X in the 70s, really, since the implication is he had the symbiote hanging out in his blood for awhile.

So are you saying that Weapon X takes place even later?

Sliding timescale and all that but I always got the impression that Wolverine got the adamantium in the mid-20th century. But I guess the Black Ops stuff fits in awkwardly then, even when it was introduced in the 90s...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Sliding timescale and all that but I always got the impression that Wolverine got the adamantium in the mid-20th century. But I guess the Black Ops stuff fits in awkwardly then, even when it was introduced in the 90s...

Even more than the Joker, Wolverine's origin makes more sense as multiple choice.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Even more than the Joker, Wolverine's origin makes more sense as multiple choice.

But there's THREE Jokers and only...

*counts*

Whoa.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've always adored this exchange about this story :allears:

https://twitter.com/CerebroCast/status/1502107736544362505

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

this is great

the new cerebro episode about sabertooth has the sabertooth writer on to discuss it and it's a very interesting interview

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Based at least on X Lives of Wolverine, the titular "Ten Lives" are, in chronological order:

Logan I - "1900, Northern Canada" - Teenage Logan saves "Captain Benedict Xavier", an unspecified ancestor of Charles, probably his grandfather but maybe they're trying to give themselves leeway
Logan II - "American West" - Only shows up in a montage and data page
Logan III - "World War I France" - Only shows up in a montage and data page
Logan IV - "1945 Japan", Charles's father Brian Xavier is a Lieutenant in the US Military
Logan V - "Many Years Ago ("WWII in the Rearview") - Logan is in Japan with Itsu, who is pregnant with Daken
Logan VI - [????] Westchester NY, Charles Xavier's birth
Logan VII - "Many Years Ago", Columbia - Team X Logan (with bone claws), Wheelchair bound adult Charles Xavier is giving a speech about saving the rainforests
Logan VIII - "Many Years Ago" - Logan is being experimented on by Weapon X
Logan IX - "Middle East" - Wolverine has his first appearance looking yellow and blue costume, has only shown up in a montage/data page
Logan X - Present Day Wolverine on Krakoa

In terms of sliding timescale, obviously things like "1900" and the World Wars are fixed in time, and Daken was previously established as being born in 1946 in Wolverine: Origins and that seems to have stuck in later comics.. Even if you cram Logans 4-6 into a very tight space, it means Charles was born after World War II, which works well enough if you assume Magneto (in their respective first bodies) is 10-15 years older than Charles, since with each retelling Magneto's time in Auschwitz has been dialed back from "full grown adult" to "teenager" to "youth".

Then you can lump Logans 7-9 into whatever sliding timescale you want, though the recent History of the Marvel Universe mini-series (the source of the Sian Cong retcon) does throw some actual dates/mile markers into the mix:

not actually directly relevant to the above posted:

Destiny and Mystique were adult lovers prior to the outbreak of World War I, which makes them at least 120 years old, which makes them the oldest mentioned mutants besides Selene (dawn of humanity), Apocalypse (about 5000 years ago),
and Mister Sinister (mid 19th Century England), an Wolverine (late 19th Century Canada). Namor is established as being born circa 1920, and Magneto is downgraded all the way to "boy" in Auschwitz.

Weirdly it's established that Wanda (but not Pietro, though presumably he's off-panel) was born in 1958 (based on her being tainted by Cthon on Mount Wundagore shortly before the "Avengers of 1959" formed and made explicit in the annotations in the back).

Mutants next pop up when the book establishes the Team X --> Weapon X Experiment --> Escape Into the Wilderness period of Wolverine's life all took place before the Siang-Cong conflict started, with specific dates added in the back:

1961: "Logan joined the black ops Team X as Wolverine... Logan served on Team X until 1968. At some point, Logan was captured by the Weapon X program." From there, everything proceeds pretty much in the order it happened in the publication history of the comics with no real references to real-world time.

Web of Ve'Nam explicitly establishes that whole business with Wolverine fighting the Knullified US Soldiers With Bits of The Historical Grendel Monster from Beowulf In Them as taking place in 1966, so it would have been smack in the middle of his Team X days, but before Weapon X.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

danbanana posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Weapon X immediately precedes his time in Department K (since Weapon X is a program in it....), which is where he was recruited from. Given that the sliding timescale has him getting recruited 2010ish, Weapon X would be mid-2000s, basically. Vietnam is obviously much earlier, and the black ops stuff was, at the time, implied to be in the 80s, which fits in fine here without any real changes (other than Maverick having to be getting old when he's introduced in the current time). He just spent a bunch of time fighting off a symbiote in his blood without knowing it, I guess.

Edit: of course E&C has a much better post than me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish someone told me I could have just skipped the entirety of X Lives. I guess it has pretty art?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

I got a hearty laugh out of this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I got a hearty laugh out of this.

Cerebrocast is good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm so far behind on it, like months and months because the episodes are just too long.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks to my long commutes, I'm almost caught up with Cerebro, and it's been a delight. Probably going to check out Jay & Miles while waiting on new episodes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I listen to them during cardio so I like that they're pretty long. I am way behind though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah they are long, I remember listening to an early episode and the host was apologizing for going so long and looking through the rest I think that episode was the last one that was less than 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I only listen to the episodes that interest me either because of the character or the guest (sup, Spencer Ackerman!) and I don't think I've ever finished an episode but I enjoy my time immensely when I listen. I cackled while raking leaves, listening to Conner and his guest talked Selene.