Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

these new plushes own. i just bought the mephiles plush myself

Yeah they have made a ton of obscure characters. Got the Chaos 0 plush years ago & it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’d probably rather play any given Sonic level in 06 than try to play Secret Ring or Black Knight in this day and age. The difference in jank is funny vs frustrating, respectively.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
06 also has lots of stretches of legit good level design while BK does...not

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did actually appreciate BK's story yeah

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

these new plushes own. i just bought the mephiles plush myself

Welcome to Tilted Towers, we have Memphis Tennessee, now in plush form.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Oi wot, is it a whole rear end board game or just mini games cuz I sure as hell don't remember that poo poo at all.

Full boards, multiple ones, all with completely different gimmicks. More distinct from each other than most Mario Party boards

Not as good, certainly, but more distinct

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Full boards, multiple ones, all with completely different gimmicks. More distinct from each other than most Mario Party boards

Not as good, certainly, but more distinct

So they made Sonic Shuffle but good? :eyepop:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

man nurse posted:

I’d probably rather play any given Sonic level in 06 than try to play Secret Ring or Black Knight in this day and age. The difference in jank is funny vs frustrating, respectively.

i'd rather play any of those games than heroes

that is the true worst sonic game

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember the main levels in Secret Rings being fairly fun with the controls maxed out but I also have zero desire to play it again.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A Cup of Ramen posted:

So they made Sonic Shuffle but good? :eyepop:

"Good" is a strong word. I would say more "not entirely garbage"

It's not as good as any Mario Party, but it's better than a lot of the Mario Party knockoffs, Shuffle included

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked Heroes enough to do the final story, but I've never managed to compel myself to finish SA2 because I can't stand the non-speed stages at all. I am a shameful being.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked Heroes enough to do the final story, but I've never managed to compel myself to finish SA2 because I can't stand the non-speed stages at all. I am a shameful being.

I loved the E102 stages in Sonic Adventure but I HATED them in SA2. So I don't blame you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i never particularly disliked the mech stages

hated the treasure hunting stages though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ya dis, except for the shame

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What SA2 needs more than anything is for someone to overhaul the animations. Most of the characters have this horrible janky blur for their run cycle, but the mechs have this weird run all of their own where the legs slowly swing forward and back that doesn't match up to their size or gait in any way. So where Gamma felt satisfying to control, Tails and Eggman instead have this odd floaty feel that never feels right and is probably the only real reason they feel so wrong compared to Gamma.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I loved the E102 stages in Sonic Adventure but I HATED them in SA2. So I don't blame you.

Good news, there are mods for the PC version that change the physics on the mechs to be like Gamma!

Heroes is still irredeemable though, except for What I'm Made Of

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I almost beat SA2 but gave up sometime around the timed final stage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tails and Eggman have way more problems than their animations, they control terribly. I don't know how they hosed that up, Gamma handled fine.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

womb with a view posted:

Good news, there are mods for the PC version that change the physics on the mechs to be like Gamma!

Heroes is still irredeemable though, except for What I'm Made Of
Everybody hates on Heroes so hard that I prepared for the worst when I finally tried it last year, but it's...fine? Sometimes quite fun? You can chain some cool actions. The central conceit works better than it seems like it should, all things considered.

Like, it's not great, but I had my share of fun with it. I can see a kid getting it as their game for Christmas and having a blast unlocking the final fight, doing all the missions piecemeal even when they already got a new game, sometimes blasting through a story on a rainy day, it's fine for that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

actually having thought it over, sonic 4 is the worst sonic game

heroes is still absolutely atrocious tho

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

womb with a view posted:

Is there a video of this? That sounds kinda cool and I'd like to see how it plays out (but I'm too lazy to mod my game myself).

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

The worst stage in SA2 is Tails' Mission Street on the collect 100 rings bonus task. There aren't even 100 rings in the level!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
heroes is good
sa2 is good
shadow is good
black knight is good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Everybody hates on Heroes so hard that I prepared for the worst when I finally tried it last year, but it's...fine? Sometimes quite fun? You can chain some cool actions. The central conceit works better than it seems like it should, all things considered.

Like, it's not great, but I had my share of fun with it. I can see a kid getting it as their game for Christmas and having a blast unlocking the final fight, doing all the missions piecemeal even when they already got a new game, sometimes blasting through a story on a rainy day, it's fine for that.

after playing through just about everything, i found the games people love to shout about were always at least fine and had a few cool qualities. the actually bad games rarely get mentioned

the actually bad games, for the record
sonic 2 game gear
sonic labyrinth
lost world 3ds
tails skypatrol
sonic 4 episode 1

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Looper posted:

heroes is good
sa2 is good
shadow is good
black knight is good

Is Sonic Jam good??

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Secret Rings & Black Knight are some of the worst games I've ever played.

Sonic 06 gets all the hate, but its a pile of gold compared to Secret Rings.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the first level of each world in secret rings, where you're just running through the whole thing, is always pretty neat. it's when the game asks you to do any kind of precision whatsoever that things start to fall apart. the concept rules though, I'd love to see more storybook sonic

whatever problems black knight has are thoroughly excused by the music, the opening cutscene, the story, shadow being lancelot, etc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zombie Squared posted:

Is Sonic Jam good??

Sonic Jam is just a collection of the first 3 Genesis games with a little bonus 3D section thrown in so yes

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Sonic 06 is way the gently caress more fun than Black Knight

and Shadow

and SA2

Sonic 06 Stockholm Syndrome strikes again.

Personally, SA2 is one of the most fun games I've played. That doesn't mean flawless, just that I could play it forever, enjoy almost every moment and never get tired.

The other games in my top 10 are Sonic 3&K and Mania, SMB1-3 and 64, KHII, Vanquish and Kirby Super Star Ultra. I even enjoy all of the gameplay styles, including chao raising and karting.

ninjewtsu posted:

Not agreed on the last one but, because of how poorly made sonic 06 is, it is genuinely a more fun and enjoyable experience than most other 3D sonic games

Yeah, even though 06 is a terrible attempt at an Adventure game I still rank it far above the storybook games and Lost World. A butchered clone of SA1 is still somehow better than whatever they were trying to make with those games.

The writing and characterisation in the storybook games is much better than the recent entries though. I even like the concept. Most of the backlash was because they were experimenting with weird concepts and gameplay when fans were asking for a normal, competent 3D Sonic game for once.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'd rather play any of those games than heroes

that is the true worst sonic game

06 > Heroes > Shadow > Lost World > Storybook

I can't stand any of them so I don't know why I care which one I dislike the most. The only reason I even tried them was because I've completely exhausted everything there is to do in SA1 and 2.

Dabir posted:

Tails and Eggman have way more problems than their animations, they control terribly. I don't know how they hosed that up, Gamma handled fine.

I think the main issue with them is that if you push against a wall while in mid-air, it sends you shooting downwards. This makes platforming very unforgiving because even if you think you're almost able to reach a ledge, you go plummeting to your death instead. I don't even try to go for the emblems/A-ranks until I've got the jet upgrade.

Zombie Squared posted:

The worst stage in SA2 is Tails' Mission Street on the collect 100 rings bonus task. There aren't even 100 rings in the level!

Yeah, at least getting to the goal takes you back to the start of the stage and lets you collect the rings again. It's the worst stage they could have chosen for that because you need to do a no-hit run of the whole stage, and also have to memorise where all the missiles are since you can't react to them in time.

There's a trick to the Knuckles 100 rings stages though. The goal ring appears after you take damage, so collect 1 ring, get hit, then collect at least 50 rings near the goal. Enter the goal and collect those same rings again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The emulation isn't so hot though. There's a decent amount of input delay. It's neat for the little 3D Sonic mode though.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Sonic Jam is just a collection of the first 3 Genesis games with a little bonus 3D section thrown in so yes

Pretty sure they're referring to the other Sonic Jam on the game.com.

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Jam_(Game.com)

Contains only 3 zones & it runs terribly.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Palmtree Panic posted:

Glad someone else got the esoteric reference.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Ah, in that case yes, that one sucks. Come to think of it, did the Game.Com have ANY decent games?

I do wish they’d port the Saturn version one day though (or at least the Sonic World segment)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Looper posted:

the actually bad games, for the record
sonic 2 game gear
sonic labyrinth
lost world 3ds
tails skypatrol
sonic 4 episode 1

It's me, the 8-bit Sonic 2 defender.

I know it's not great, but the style is like no other Sonic game, it's got this slightly odd, weirdly serious feel to the music and some really original visual design, plus the level openings with the visuals of Sonic and Tails are my favourite level openers in the series.

It's stuck with me if nothing else, and someone remade it for mobile and PC with added and extended levels plus extra characters, which was pretty cool!

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah, in that case yes, that one sucks. Come to think of it, did the Game.Com have ANY decent games?

I do wish they’d port the Saturn version one day though (or at least the Sonic World segment)

They did get a port of Duke Nukem 3D. It was entirely in greyscale and looked worse than the original doom.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know it's not great, but the style is like no other Sonic game, it's got this slightly odd, weirdly serious feel to the music and some really original visual design, plus the level openings with the visuals of Sonic and Tails are my favourite level openers in the series.

It's stuck with me if nothing else, and someone remade it for mobile and PC with added and extended levels plus extra characters, which was pretty cool!

i do love how 8bit sonic looks, that's fair

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

8 bit sonic gave us Fang so it can never be bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
triple trouble is good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I hadn’t heard of this, is there a website or something where I can get more information on said remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Larryb posted:

I hadn’t heard of this, is there a website or something where I can get more information on said remake?

Right here!

https://sonic-sms-remake.blogspot.com/p/two.html?m=1