Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ardent Communist posted:

Plus, was she tip toeing? They established that just her moving around causing small ground tremors and a thumping noise. but when she's indoors nothing? Still a great movie and a great scene, but it's a bit odd.

See, I'm comfortable with this. The tremors were noticeable and significant in otherwise quiet moments, but at this point in the movie Ellie, Alan and the kids are fleeing for their lives from extremely dangerous (and loud) predators, and I can take the camera not signalling the rex's approach as visual shorthand for the characters being a little too busy to notice it either.

That kind of behind-the-black shenangianry happens at a couple of other points in the film, too, though I wouldn't call it a vital element of the movie's visual style like I would with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
John Boyne is a big stupid bitch. He's certainly transphobic and I would argue antisemitic. gently caress John Boyne.

I'm not saying anything new here, but gently caress it, I don't care.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The point isn't that the plants are poisonous. The park vet says at the beginning of the scene that they know it's poisonous, but they've never seen the dinosaurs eat them.

The triceratops is only getting sick because it's swallowing the rocks underneath the plants, which is a natural behavior for a triceratops that nobody knew about when they created this artificial environment and dropped them into it. THAT's the point of the scene, and that's the part they cut out

Also, John Boyne sucks

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

How did Hammond get extinct PLANTS in Jurassic Park? Right before Elle sees the dinos for the first time on the drive in, he is examining a plant leaf and mentions it's been extinct for millions of years.
Vegan mosquitoes, ofc.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
(mozzies actually do drink from plants most of the time, females only need blood to make their eggies. so... unironically, yeah)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

How did Hammond get extinct PLANTS in Jurassic Park? Right before Elle sees the dinos for the first time on the drive in, he is examining a plant leaf and mentions it's been extinct for millions of years.

most of the matter in mosquito stomachs would be plant matter as they're vegetarians except the females who only need blood to make nymphs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Imagine a future civilization resurrecting Koalas and Pandas, and then trying to figure out all that bullshit.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MariusLecter posted:

Imagine a future civilization resurrecting Koalas... bullshit.

Enjoy your mutant chlamydia, future morons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crespolini posted:

That doesn't really matter in this context.

It does

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR23nk9v0ME

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Armchair directing aside, gently caress thats a good movie

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen it but I seem to recall her specifically saying something about lysene or some other thing in the plants that's described as being bad for them.
I think they were engineered with a lysine deficiency so they'd die if they weren't getting supplements

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Notably in the opening shootout in No Time to Die, but it's a common thing in movies with gunfights in public (also kind of ties into the whole "if it's off-screen it's completely undetectable" thing except for passersby):

Oh, so now that the gigantic gunfight has moved 10 feet closer to you you're panicking? Not before? "This is fine, most enormous bouts of gunfire stay isolated to the courtyards they start in, just gonna continue about my day OH poo poo RUN"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I think they were engineered with a lysine deficiency so they'd die if they weren't getting supplements

I think that's another throw away line in the film that isn't explained.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think that's another throw away line in the film that isn't explained.
Huh, maybe I only read the book then 🤷🏻‍♀️

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Huh, maybe I only read the book then 🤷🏻‍♀️

I was wrong. Samuel l Jackson explains it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I was wrong. Samuel l Jackson explains it.

Isn't this something brought up in the beginning, but then never again?

Because I recently rewatched The Lost World, and the lycene is a minor plot point. When Ian Malcolm asks Hammond about it, Hammond says they don't know how the dinosaurs are surviving. They only find out when they land on the island, and Julianne Moore's character tells them that the lycene comes from certain plants. The herbivors eat the plants, the carnivores eat the herbivores, everybody lives.

Can't help but feel that somebody pointed out that the implication of the first film was that all the cool dinosaurs we just saw are doomed at the end of the film, and Spielberg wanted to fix that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

No Time to Die
And what I assume to be the penultimate shootout is basically a Call of Duty level

though i did super appreciate the picture perfect Bond shot in the hallway between demolition and the grenades bit with just a hint of the Bond theme in the background, hell yeah

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Isn't this something brought up in the beginning, but then never again?

Because I recently rewatched The Lost World, and the lycene is a minor plot point. When Ian Malcolm asks Hammond about it, Hammond says they don't know how the dinosaurs are surviving. They only find out when they land on the island, and Julianne Moore's character tells them that the lycene comes from certain plants. The herbivors eat the plants, the carnivores eat the herbivores, everybody lives.

Can't help but feel that somebody pointed out that the implication of the first film was that all the cool dinosaurs we just saw are doomed at the end of the film, and Spielberg wanted to fix that.

Yes, when the carnivores eat the herbivores, EVERYBODY lives :v:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Yes, when the carnivores eat the herbivores, EVERYBODY lives :v:

Life, uh, finds a way!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The first book ends with a sequel hook implying that the dinosaurs survive

The big reveal? Entire crops of cabbage are going missing

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Like everything else else in the park they're just generic abominations masquerading as formerly extinct life. They’re less genuine than the resurrected corpses in Roadside Picnic that just shamble home to rot and occasionally scream into the night.

Loved that detail in Rp.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

King's Man: basically everything about it, of course, but this particular IIMM occurs just about a third of the way through.

The scene takes place somewhere between June and December 1916, and Rasputin does the Beryozka Glide as he enters it. Here's a video for an example of the technique, which is fundamentally "hide your feet from sight and take very small, quick steps while keeping your upper body from bobbing to give the appearance of floating":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwbcTYQ84dU

Rasputin justifiably insults the English main characters as of this point only to receive a solid retort:

Rasputin (Ifans): "Are you waiters or Englishmen? Whatever you are, get me a loving drink."
Oxford (Fiennes): "Are you a monk or a ballet dancer? I see you've mastered the Beryozka Glide. Why don't you glide over there and get me a loving drink?"

Problem: as far as I can tell, the Beryozka Glide was invented in 1948 (by Nadezhda Nadezhdina). Ballet, correct. Timeline, way off. Obviously, this movie isn't trying to be historical, the primary villain's motives were already spoiled for me, but still, come on!

It was enough of a timeline fuckup that it's pulled me out of the movie for like half an hour trying to figure out how they hosed this up so badly

i really hope someone got fired for this blunder

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A wizard did it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

A wizard did it.
At least regarding Rasputin, FINE

but no one else would able to label it properly!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gently caress (still on King's Man)

about halfway through, Woodrow Wilson orders "Statesman on the rocks", referring to a bourbon invented to tie in to Kingsmen 2 for more appeal here in the US from Old Forester stock.

I've got one of their t-shirts and it's a decent enough whiskey but UGH

UGH UGH UGH

"All of Quentin Tarantino's movies take place on one timeline" is better than this poo poo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh, a wizard did it?

E: also death to everyone who drinks whisky on the rocks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

"All of Quentin Tarantino's movies take place on one timeline" is better than this poo poo

Like, that's at least an interesting theory that provides room for conversation given the recurring themes and frequent near-magical realism that underlies them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

E: also death to everyone who drinks whisky on the rocks.
What?

Unless it's to be taken as a shot, all whiskies are improved by a cube or two

And "on the rocks" is a perfectly valid way to drink whiskies if you're not knocking them back (like Bond in No Time to Die, who orders "Scotch" at least once, to tie it into the thread)

how dare you

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Mar 12, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Double death to everyone who drinks whisky as shots. If the only way you can drink something is to slam it back, then maybe just don't bother, just get some cheap nasty poo poo and do what you want.

Ice dulls the flavor and puts way too much water in the whisky. Just drink it neat, savor it and optionally add just a bit of water as needed to open up the flavor.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

FFT posted:

King's Man: basically everything about it, of course, but this particular IIMM occurs just about a third of the way through.

The scene takes place somewhere between June and December 1916, and Rasputin does the Beryozka Glide as he enters it. Here's a video for an example of the technique, which is fundamentally "hide your feet from sight and take very small, quick steps while keeping your upper body from bobbing to give the appearance of floating":

Wasnt there a scene in fantasia that depicted this? Anyways that dance technique is super impressive and iirc fantasia is selling it a little bit short

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Double death to everyone who drinks whisky as shots. If the only way you can drink something is to slam it back, then maybe just don't bother, just get some cheap nasty poo poo and do what you want.

Ice dulls the flavor and puts way too much water in the whisky. Just drink it neat, savor it and optionally add just a bit of water as needed to open up the flavor.
nah lmao i've taken shots of Blanton's and they were delightful

(i wasn't the one that bought them)

And ice is a great application of a bit of water.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ice chills the whisky and numbs the taste buds, and the dilution is uncontrolled. Unless you drink it fast, you'll end up with a watery bland mess, and whisky just isn't meant to be drunk quickly.

It's a purely American and Hollywood invention by people who fundamentally don't understand whisky.

Just drink it neat, with a bit of water if you want, to open the flavor a bit. You'll get so much more of the flavor.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

Ice chills the whisky and numbs the taste buds, and the dilution is uncontrolled. Unless you drink it fast, you'll end up with a watery bland mess, and whisky just isn't meant to be drunk quickly.

It's a purely American and Hollywood invention by people who fundamentally don't understand whisky.

Just drink it neat, with a bit of water if you want, to open the flavor a bit. You'll get so much more of the flavor.

:thunk: weird it's almost like it's some kind of subjective experience with social norms involved too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It is I, gatekeeper of brown liquor, decider of how others may drink. Gaze upon me and neat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FFT posted:

That is a badass dance, thanks for posting it! I never saw it before.

I enjoyed the first two Kingsman movies quite a bit, if only for having action that I could follow with my old-granny eyes, but I couldn't be less interested in this new one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Baron von Eevl posted:

It is I, gatekeeper of brown liquor, decider of how others may drink. Gaze upon me and neat.

Look, if you paid for it, you drink it however you like, disregard anyone who tut-tuts at you.

I'm only trying to educate.

(I still call for death on shot knocker-backers. That's frat bro poo poo. And try ditching the ice for once, it won't kill you.)

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Mar 12, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

i will drink my charred wood-infused vodka as i choose, thank you very much.

Sometimes that's neat, sometimes it involves an ice cube or two. Sometimes it's on a bunch of rocks with cola.

gently caress you.

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 12, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I hate alcohol but drat if I dont want to start drinking scotch on the rocks just to spite you.