Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The game won't let you use a gamepad and m+kb simultaneously. That's been standard for like over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also there's no vsync toggle??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Isn't Fallout 76 based off the Fallout 4 engine, twisted and hacked into supporting multiplayer? Graphically it's going on 7 years old

I can't quite pinpoint why, but I think FO4 often looks better. Maybe part of it is that 76 has a lot more vegetation, which doesn't look great, imo.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
They actually reduced the overall quality slightly to improve performance. It looks decent enough but it certainly won't win any beauty awards. Like, ever.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The game won't let you use a gamepad and m+kb simultaneously. That's been standard for like over a decade.

yeah and on top of that if you use a program to map keys to a gamepad to get around this it will toggle auto-run off every time you enter a door because it does that if shift is held down

truly a big pile of poo poo

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Another general question: Will Bethesda ever put a PVP focused add-on in 76 again? They tried survival and NW, but those were implemented with some pretty glaring errors (bringing in existing characters/inventories into survival and balance/basic bug issues in NW)... Will bethesda ever do anything to try and bring some of the pvp focused players back to 76, or have they decided to give up on trying to attract pvp focused players?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
God I miss NW. Balance didn't exist when you knew where the nuke codes and briefcases were in the fire.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I never got into NW because PVP doesn't appeal to me but I sure liked watching the occasional match after I died hiding in a bush.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was it just not popular enough? Or Bethesda didn't want to spread their resources?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It was not popular and bethesda didn't want to put any effort into it. Battle royale games were booming and they were jumping on the bandwagon halfheartedly from the start.

It was still fun, but there were levels of frustration you had to accept between all the problems and bugs that were never addressed.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
It also started out more popular than it ended. the lack of maintenence was very noticable and by the end it was mostly just die hards.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
thinking about NW got me thinking about my favorite experiences and this was a good one I got clipped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVmSB0H32E

organtime 2 was going to be about the organ glitch but then it got deleted.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

i flunked out posted:

by the end it was mostly just die hards.

I think it was mainly a few diehards picking off all the people hiding in bushes trying to get their dailies done.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Frig I had forgotten just how good fallout 2 is

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been playing a bit of F076 over the weekend since its on gamepass and I'm enjoying it enough as a gamepass game. I've not done much, only level right now, but i'm doing fine. Its just FO4 but i cannot mod my carry weight to have a million and pick up ever glass on the map. This was hard but then i discovered there are crafting stations all over the place so you can break stuff down to lighten the load, also i try to focus on picking up stuff that has rarer mats.

Anyways, the two main things i'm curious are what happens when you die, and how hard is it to move your camp? I set up first near the town you're meant to go to at the start, but i limited myself where i located, as i can't put the large water purifier in the river near me because its too small (the river not the purifier) and the hills prevent me from building out to far. I'm thinking of moving somewhere west of the Vault Tech Agricultural center as the map shows the river going there is much wider. I just don't want to have to put the 3 floors into storage along with all the crafting tables and decorations i made in order to move it.

BrotherJayne posted:

Frig I had forgotten just how good fallout 2 is

Yes, yes it is. I like it better than 1. There's just so much more to do and explore.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When you die, you only drop your junk, like scrap metal or whatever. You'll spawn a bit aways and your drop bag will show up on your compass and map to retrieve.

Moving camps is easy, but setting up an alternate first will give you a better idea. Go into your map, to the camp list in the top left, select camp 2, then go set up camp like you did the first time. Then if you drop into a world where someone is already on your camp site, you have a backup.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I've been playing a bit of F076 over the weekend since its on gamepass and I'm enjoying it enough as a gamepass game. I've not done much, only level right now, but i'm doing fine. Its just FO4 but i cannot mod my carry weight to have a million and pick up ever glass on the map. This was hard but then i discovered there are crafting stations all over the place so you can break stuff down to lighten the load, also i try to focus on picking up stuff that has rarer mats.

Anyways, the two main things i'm curious are what happens when you die, and how hard is it to move your camp? I set up first near the town you're meant to go to at the start, but i limited myself where i located, as i can't put the large water purifier in the river near me because its too small (the river not the purifier) and the hills prevent me from building out to far. I'm thinking of moving somewhere west of the Vault Tech Agricultural center as the map shows the river going there is much wider. I just don't want to have to put the 3 floors into storage along with all the crafting tables and decorations i made in order to move it.

Yes, yes it is. I like it better than 1. There's just so much more to do and explore.

When you die you can either get rezzed by another player, or you'll return to the map and respawn somewhere. You lose any junk loot you've collected and will have to travel back to your death location to collect it.

You can move your camp at any time, it just costs caps.

Encumbrance/Inventory is an enormous pain in the rear end in this game, specifically because they want to sell you on Fallout 1st and/or "carry weight boosters".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When you die, you only drop your junk, like scrap metal or whatever. You'll spawn a bit aways and your drop bag will show up on your compass and map to retrieve.

Moving camps is easy, but setting up an alternate first will give you a better idea. Go into your map, to the camp list in the top left, select camp 2, then go set up camp like you did the first time. Then if you drop into a world where someone is already on your camp site, you have a backup.

Oh so you don't loose weapons, armor and aid stuff, just the building mats. That's a pretty decent death penalty. I was also worried you'd respawn at the last best you slept or your primary camp.

I thought you only had 1 camp, and if you want more, you'd have to buy them from the money store. Next time I play i'll have to check that out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I did forget about other players looting your poo poo, but no, you don't drop weapons or meds or armor, just crafting poo poo.

You should be able to have 2 camps from very early on. Depending on where you set up your camp, it might be a popular spot, so your camp might not always load when you spawn into a world. You'll find this more around extractor mining sites, but if someone is there before you, your camp won't be able to activate until they leave, move camp, or you back out yourself and try again.

I would spend all the atoms I got for completing the daily, weekly, yada yada tasks, like, harvest 76 wood from downed trees or whatever for 10~ atoms, on carry weight boosters and repair kits. Don't buy costumes or skins, you'll get a bunch of that poo poo from the scoreboard anyhow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay cool, I saw extra camp slots on sale in the store so figured beyond tye first one you'd had to shell out toddbux to get more.

And I'm not too worried about butcherpete69420 who's level 250 coming along and stealing my coffee cups of I die.

With scraping weapons, do you get the mods attached to that gun or a random mod for it? I scrapped a scoped a snub .44 last night that gave me a long barrel, not a scope so I figure it's the latter.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Oh so you don't loose weapons, armor and aid stuff, just the building mats. That's a pretty decent death penalty. I was also worried you'd respawn at the last best you slept or your primary camp.

This isn't a survival game.

twistedmentat posted:

With scraping weapons, do you get the mods attached to that gun or a random mod for it? I scrapped a scoped a snub .44 last night that gave me a long barrel, not a scope so I figure it's the latter.

Random mods

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
be aware the mod unlock system is totally arbitrary, and while you can unlock mods by scrapping for a lot of weapons, the late game weapons/mods are almost always event drop only or stuff you buy with farmed currency (gold bullion)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

i flunked out posted:

This isn't a survival game.

Random mods

Yea I was thinking of the game in the way i thought about Ark, Conan Exiles and 7 days to die. Closest I came to dying so far was inside the Capital when one of those crusty Ghouls and a bunch of regular ones pinned me in a corner.

Okay, so yea, scrapping every gun i come across is beyond the first one is probably the best way to go. I'm still early on but i'm not having any issues with resources, its more space.

Flesh Forge posted:

be aware the mod unlock system is totally arbitrary, and while you can unlock mods by scrapping for a lot of weapons, the late game weapons/mods are almost always event drop only or stuff you buy with farmed currency (gold bullion)

At this point i'd just be happy with a proper scope for the hunting rifle.

I figure the best way to progress is just to do quests? Like no way am i going to get to level 20 just by shooting scorched and feral ghouls.

I'd never heard the full version of 16 Tons, did they think Tennessee Ernie Ford was a communist after that song came out? It literally has a verse about how if you go on strike the bosses will just shoot you.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Look up the Pinkertons, but the US has a long history of strike suppression and violence has often come up.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Look up the Pinkertons, but the US has a long history of strike suppression and violence has often come up.

West Virginia is actually one of the only places in the continental United States to have been conventionally attacked by air.

During the Battle of Blair Mountain back in the 1920's, the Virginia national guard dropped leftover WWI munitions and jury-rigged bombs on striking miners in addition to strafing camps with machine gun fire.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

twistedmentat posted:

I figure the best way to progress is just to do quests? Like no way am i going to get to level 20 just by shooting scorched and feral ghouls.

Don't be shy about jumping on the group events that start every 20 mins even if you're underleveled ( except for Scorched Earth until you have something to protect you from the radiation, like power armor ), if any players complain just ignore them. It's a great way to pick up stimpaks/purified water / xp.

Skip the ones marked hard / very hard because you'll just get slaughtered but the rest you can just camp out somewhere and plink away at the enemies. Also get the Marsupial Serum if you see it for sale at someone's camp for 300-500 caps, the super jump makes traveling the wasteland a lot less frustrating

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Father Wendigo posted:

West Virginia is actually one of the only places in the continental United States to have been conventionally attacked by air.

During the Battle of Blair Mountain back in the 1920's, the Virginia national guard dropped leftover WWI munitions and jury-rigged bombs on striking miners in addition to strafing camps with machine gun fire.

Oh yes I'm well aware of both of these. And saying "hey that might be wrong" was a good way to get yourself called a Red at the time. Speaking of the the music, is the version of Country Roads made for the game? There's a few other songs that seem to be sung by the same person, and the DJ never mentions the singer when it plays, just the song. Also that version sounds so mournful, especially when he sings "shenandoah". I'm not sure why it feels that way.

Another Bill posted:

Don't be shy about jumping on the group events that start every 20 mins even if you're underleveled ( except for Scorched Earth until you have something to protect you from the radiation, like power armor ), if any players complain just ignore them. It's a great way to pick up stimpaks/purified water / xp.

Skip the ones marked hard / very hard because you'll just get slaughtered but the rest you can just camp out somewhere and plink away at the enemies. Also get the Marsupial Serum if you see it for sale at someone's camp for 300-500 caps, the super jump makes traveling the wasteland a lot less frustrating

Oh cool, I have just been ignoring them because i was afraid of dying. If i go in with no junk, then who cares how often i die?

How long should it take for my water purifier to have water in it? At first I thought I had to put dirty water into it but nope. Also i logged in and my house is surrounded by kitties.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Country Roads was covered by a band called Spank fot 76. Yes, Spank.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Country Roads was covered by a band called Spank fot 76. Yes, Spank.

Guess they did the Ring of Fire cover too?

So a few things i'm a but confused by. Main one is It says I have Max level for hacker and lockpicking but I only have 1 in both, and i've encountered locks and computers that have 2 or 3 difficulty. Does that mean max level for my Intelligence? Its annoying that I wasted a level getting a card i couldn't combine. Though I figure you're not limited to 10 slots per special stats because that would max out around level 70 and i've seen players in the high 200s.

Are there anything that weighs more than you think it does? I'm not used to aid and ammo weighing something in FO games, as they normally don't have a weight. I realized i was carrying around 20lbs of purified water so i dropped all but 10 cans of it, but I still am always hoving around 140/150 with only the most important things on me. Also, does the game always giving you power armor pieces from events? I did 2 where I took the advice and just hung out while high level players did them, and ended up with 2 power armor pieces. I had to lug them back because I'm not scrapping them. Lucky both events weren't that far from my camp or at least a train station. But i'd be hesitant to go do some that are further away if i'm going to be stuck with some 15lb power armor helmet.

Lastly, i travelled in and one of my generators exploded. Does this just randomly happen or was it attacked? I checked all the others and there was no way to repair them except for the exploded one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is how a lot of stuff is handled on the client, when any thing or creature is loaded into your environment it's in the default state (constructions are operational, creatures are alive) and then they run the "breakdown" or death animation. e.g. if you fast travel into an area with some dead people that you hadn't loaded already, you will see and hear them die and fall down. so, your generator was most likely broken prior to your arrival.

re: lockpicking and hacking perks, you have to combine multiple rank 1 lockpick perk cards into higher rank versions ("Expert" / "Master"). All of the skill perks work like this, you combine rank 1 + rank 1 or 2 of same perk to upgrade them.
e: post 50, you will start unlocking slots for legendary perks and one of these is called "master infiltrator", which makes the lesser lockpick and hacking perks completely obsolete. it's also completely fine to just not take lockpick or hacking perks at all, they're never necessary and nothing really important is gated behind either, it's like Fallout 4 in this respect.

it's pretty common to take perks that reduce carried weight of chems/stimpacks (pharmacist), food/drink (day hiker) and your ammo type. there are armor legendary mods that can reduce weight of various things, and you can eventually get a backpack and upgrade it to give you 90% weight reduction of either food or chems (this is available after you complete the main quest and have enough faction with whichever group has the mod you want, which might take quite some time).

don't feel too bad about taking perk cards you can't use, they are never actually wasted as you need them to craft legendary perk cards eventually. you need hundreds of levels to fully max out (something like 550 I think?).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 4, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The 360 version of New Vegas looks much better on the Series X. Is that something they do or is it entirely in my head? Load times are absolutely much shorter, which is nice. (Shorter than on my SSD-equipped Windows compurer.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The 360 version of New Vegas looks much better on the Series X. Is that something they do or is it entirely in my head? Load times are absolutely much shorter, which is nice. (Shorter than on my SSD-equipped Windows compurer.)

Yeah MS puts in extra effort to get its back compat titles running better and at higher resolutions. Sometimes they go even further.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flesh Forge posted:

this is how a lot of stuff is handled on the client, when any thing or creature is loaded into your environment it's in the default state (constructions are operational, creatures are alive) and then they run the "breakdown" or death animation. e.g. if you fast travel into an area with some dead people that you hadn't loaded already, you will see and hear them die and fall down. so, your generator was most likely broken prior to your arrival.

re: lockpicking and hacking perks, you have to combine multiple rank 1 lockpick perk cards into higher rank versions ("Expert" / "Master"). All of the skill perks work like this, you combine rank 1 + rank 1 or 2 of same perk to upgrade them.
e: post 50, you will start unlocking slots for legendary perks and one of these is called "master infiltrator", which makes the lesser lockpick and hacking perks completely obsolete. it's also completely fine to just not take lockpick or hacking perks at all, they're never necessary and nothing really important is gated behind either, it's like Fallout 4 in this respect.

it's pretty common to take perks that reduce carried weight of chems/stimpacks (pharmacist), food/drink (day hiker) and your ammo type. there are armor legendary mods that can reduce weight of various things, and you can eventually get a backpack and upgrade it to give you 90% weight reduction of either food or chems (this is available after you complete the main quest and have enough faction with whichever group has the mod you want, which might take quite some time).

don't feel too bad about taking perk cards you can't use, they are never actually wasted as you need them to craft legendary perk cards eventually. you need hundreds of levels to fully max out (something like 550 I think?).

Ah that helps a lot. I took the second level of the perk that reduces chems down to 30% and i suddenly had 25 more lbs to carry stuff.

Its nice if i do the lower level ops, even if I'm alone at first, someone with power armor and a minigun shows up and starts taking out all the enemies so i get completion rewards even if i didn't do too much.

Something that kinda annoys me is how few clothing items let you wear armor over them. Like its still equipped but its not showing. I have almost a full set of metal armor, i want to show it off, but also i want to dress like a priest. Only the vault suit and army fatigues let armor be placed over them. I remember FO4 having more clothing options with armor. Though I did just wear the vault suit through the game. I accidently dismantled the 76 one though so i had to run around in leather armor and my underwear until i found some random clothes early on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

chems and ammo take up *A TON* of your carry weight unless you constantly micromanage it, so perks that reduce their weight are very commonly used.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rinkles posted:

Yeah MS puts in extra effort to get its back compat titles running better and at higher resolutions. Sometimes they go even further.

There was an update a few months ago. They also updated 3, 4, and a bunch of the Elder Scrolls games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Have their updates done anything to fix the gamebryo engine memory leaks or the save game bloat? Those are always what end up killing the console editions of the games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Have their updates done anything to fix the gamebryo engine memory leaks or the save game bloat? Those are always what end up killing the console editions of the games.

IDK I played through the 360 versions multiple times and it was tolerable if you knew The Trick.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

save game bloat is inevitable as you interact with the world and change states of various things away from their defaults.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

IDK I played through the 360 versions multiple times and it was tolerable if you knew The Trick.

what's The Trick?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

save game bloat is inevitable as you interact with the world and change states of various things away from their defaults.

what's The Trick?

I forgor :(

But there was a way to load a save that would hang the game. I'm sure it's plenty googleable now. Didn't help with the other bugs of course, and the load times were atrocious. But they were atrocious on my PC too :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Load times aren't as much of an issue on the Series systems. My last New Vegas playthrough (series S last year) was quick and reliable the whole way through, and that was before the patches pushed out.

Not that the problem is likely fixed, but SSDs and whatever hardware being pushed out right now just seems to brute force past slow load times. When New Vegas came out, the 360 had already been on the market 6 years.

Besides, Fallout load times have nothing on Subnautica, where it wasn't uncommon to have five minute loads towards the end.