Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Szurumbur posted:

Don't the NPC start killing the enemies, old-school Gothic style?

Seriuosly missed potential if so:/

There a few scripted NPC fights in the game but they typically do not fight each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Biggest complaint about DS1 is i started playing remastered on switch, my switch got stolen, so i bought it on xbox.

Remastered apparently fixed some serious AI/pathing issues. It's actually...easier on xbox, just cause you can kite enemies into a line in a doorway and they get stuck on each other, and none of them can fit through the door, so you can plink at them. I'm still in undead parish, and the giant pig miniboss and the sorceror miniboss right before the belltower were so much harder in remastered since you couldn't kite the pig down the hall and then he'd clip through the wall to turn around to path back, but couldn't clip through to turn to hit you so i could just backstab. ran back to the bonfire on the sorceror, came back, and he was stuck on the knight at the top of the stairs, again, easy backstab.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's also an NPC that appears right after you ring the first bell tower and it's real easy to instinctively rake a swing at him before you recognize he's friendly. It kinda sucks that you can totally shut yourself out of certain game mechanics just because you hosed up once and accidentally took a swipe at something in a game where everything is aggressively trying to murder you.

Seems like a scripted "hey...I mean you no harm, sir" first warning type of thing or even an adjustment where, if you gently caress with a guy, his prices go way up or he sends you on a fetch quest to make amends. My pyromancer not being able to...pyromance due to one faulty button press is a bit much and would totally break my charachter I think.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It was pretty funny when I set my controller down and Andre proceeded to destroy my candy rear end.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

It was pretty funny when I set my controller down and Andre proceeded to destroy my candy rear end.

Oh man that loving sucks.

I get the "no pausing" element as game play design but, still, a hard pause to go take a piss, grab a beer, tend to the phone or do a bong rip would be nice. Just don't let me juggle items and equipment if the goal is to put a stop to that. I guess I could hit the "home" button and sort of hard pause the game which I hadn't thought of until now so maybe I'll try that.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh man that loving sucks.

I get the "no pausing" element as game play design but, still, a hard pause to go take a piss, grab a beer, tend to the phone or do a bong rip would be nice. Just don't let me juggle items and equipment if the goal is to put a stop to that. I guess I could hit the "home" button and sort of hard pause the game which I hadn't thought of until now so maybe I'll try that.

I can't speak for the other From games, but it doesn't work in Elden Ring. You'll come back to your guy dead if you aren't careful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

youknowthatoneguy posted:

I can't speak for the other From games, but it doesn't work in Elden Ring. You'll come back to your guy dead if you aren't careful.

You can pause in Elden Ring:

https://twitter.com/Nasdorachi/status/1501231579427147777?s=20&t=Y96M3Q1C2bLxEDHCSjitaA

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can save and exit at anytime in seconds, even in a boss fight (loading will put you outside the fog wall).

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Less Fat Luke posted:

You can save and exit at anytime in seconds, even in a boss fight (loading will put you outside the fog wall).

Why do people keep bringing this up as a response to the pause issue?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hel posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up as a response to the pause issue?
I'd also prefer a pause but it's a very quick workaround and works for me as a pause for interruptions (doorbell, phone, cat barfing, etc)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Less Fat Luke posted:

I'd also prefer a pause but it's a very quick workaround and works for me as a pause for interruptions (doorbell, phone, cat barfing, etc)

Except you lose progress in the situations where you are most likely to need it. So it's very much not a solution to the problem.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a problem.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Hel posted:

Except you lose progress in the situations where you are most likely to need it. So it's very much not a solution to the problem.

What do you mean by losing progress? It saves when you quit. You reload exactly where you were standing, with the exception of boss fights, like Less Fat Luke said.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You can't describe a little thing dragging down Elden Ring in the little things dragging this game down page!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

liquidypoo posted:

What do you mean by losing progress? It saves when you quit. You reload exactly where you were standing, with the exception of boss fights, like Less Fat Luke said.

So you don't lose progress, except when you lose progress. Which happens in situations where you can't avoid danger and a pause would be more needed, since you very much can't find a safe spot to idle in. Also bosses being where losing progress is the most annoying.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sekiro allowed you to pause, and that was a big boy game for big boys.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hel posted:

So you don't lose progress, except when you lose progress. Which happens in situations where you can't avoid danger and a pause would be more needed, since you very much can't find a safe spot to idle in. Also bosses being where losing progress is the most annoying.

what are you even on about, boss fights take like under four minutes, how on earth would losing progress there be any worse than dying to the boss, something the games expect you to do repeatedly?

my current annoyance in Elden Ring is co-op summons who don't know the game mechanics. i've been co-oping in castle morne for runes and butterflies and the number of people who instantly burn their entire FP bar on the chimera gargoyle things in the first room past the elevator is staggering. like, guys, i promise, you can do this entire area very safely and without burning real resources if you know how to guard counter (which is all of three buttons) and have any way to pull one at a time, like, for example, the easiest crafting recipe in the game with no shortage at all of materials

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol those idiots not knowing how to expertly play the game in the very first dungeon

goddamn morons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

From the outside, folks defending lack of pause in a game with an offline mode just feels like the weirdest Stockholm syndrome.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

kazil posted:

lol those idiots not knowing how to expertly play the game in the very first dungeon

goddamn morons

i wouldn't call knowing basic combat mechanics in a game centered around combat "expertly playing the game" and i wouldn't call castle morne the very first dungeon but by all means go off

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well not to beat DS:RM to death but I found my pyromancer friend, bought combustion, attuned it and it doesn't show up in my equipment menu.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

From the outside, folks defending lack of pause in a game with an offline mode just feels like the weirdest Stockholm syndrome.

But from the inside, it's actually not a big problem and people will bitch about Souls games no matter what From does.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rockman Reserve posted:

i wouldn't call knowing basic combat mechanics in a game centered around combat "expertly playing the game" and i wouldn't call castle morne the very first dungeon but by all means go off

Morne is the easiest legacy dungeon by a long mile.

Elden Ring is also the first From game for many, many people. So many of them aren't going to be super familiar with the ins and outs of combat right away.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hector Delgado posted:

But from the inside, it's actually not a big problem and people will bitch about Souls games no matter what From does.

From the inside, it's a huge problem and it spoils the game entirely for me personally. I get interrupted a lot when I play games and I don't think I should be forced to have a miserable experience because From refuses to implement the most basic quality of life feature that almost every game has had since the beginning of home consoles

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can pause Elden Ring.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
For the most part, I can recognize when a game is not for me, but also if a game I like has a problem it's also good to point it out. Are there weird workarounds to the lack of pausing? Yes. Is the lack of pausing something that enchances the game? Very much not, and there's no reason for it (at the very least if you play offline).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Ok now I just don't know who to believe

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

That’s exactly what it is and fromsoft fanboys will defend literally anything about the games. Great games but you have to get a sense for when to just tune people out if you choose to engage with their awful communities.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

You can use a weird workaround which none would thought of and are seriously unnecessary, if I read the tweet correctly. More to the point, you cannot pause in the same way a typical pausing works. So I would disagree with you.

Not that that's an insormountable problem, but if someone wants to pause during a boss fight and the solution is “just lose progress and start again“ it doesn't look tempting at all. I can live with that, but it's utterly unnecessary.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

You can use a weird workaround which none would thought of and are seriously unnecessary

You are absolutely correct. You can indeed pause in Elden Ring.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
After I saw that back and forth I agree with the stockholm syndrome statement.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I like the lack of pausing in From games. I was playing DS3 a while back and had gotten up to that graveyard area where enemies endlessly respawn. Someone knocked on my door and I dashed (in the game) into a nook that was slightly out of the way before I went to get the door. I made peace with the fact that in the game I was probably getting munched on by hordes of undead, and so it came as a pleasant surprise that I had actually managed to find a safe spot in a split second and all was good. Generally, that sort of thing isn't a real risk. If you're not actively fighting something or navigating through molten lava, you can probably just chill where you are and be fine. Like, yeah, if you get interrupted during a boss fight you'll die, but the fact that you can't just pause to get your bearings makes it way more tense

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I honestly just don't understand why bosses are the point of contention here, boss fights are short and brutal and you're expected to die to them a couple times anyway, it's not like you're going to be plinking away and dodging for 20 minutes straight, and exiting from a boss fight means you actually lose less "progress" than dying in the first place since you don't drop your souls (I think? I mean again, it's just literally never been an issue to the point I've noticed it either way). I won't even disagree that an offline pause would be a super nice QOL improvement, but this specific aspect of it is really overblown.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

I like the lack of pausing in From games. I was playing DS3 a while back and had gotten up to that graveyard area where enemies endlessly respawn. Someone knocked on my door and I dashed (in the game) into a nook that was slightly out of the way before I went to get the door. I made peace with the fact that in the game I was probably getting munched on by hordes of undead, and so it came as a pleasant surprise that I had actually managed to find a safe spot in a split second and all was good. Generally, that sort of thing isn't a real risk. If you're not actively fighting something or navigating through molten lava, you can probably just chill where you are and be fine. Like, yeah, if you get interrupted during a boss fight you'll die, but the fact that you can't just pause to get your bearings makes it way more tense

But games with a pause button also have this feature, it's called "not hitting the pause button"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BiggerBoat posted:

Well not to beat DS:RM to death but I found my pyromancer friend, bought combustion, attuned it and it doesn't show up in my equipment menu.

You have to buy a Pyromancy Hand from him, equip that, and using the "attack" action when that's equipped/active weapon will cast the active spell.

Once your can attune multiple spells, you select the active one with D-Pad Up.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

But games with a pause button also have this feature, it's called "not hitting the pause button"

But I want you to suffer

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"the other places have burgers! give me a burger!"
"sir this is a taco bell"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Lmao to all that. We cannot have a pause button in this house!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao to all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I weirdly don't miss the pause button as much as I'd have expected to; I haven't actually thought about it in nearly 40 hours. One way in which these games are a bit more accommodating than people might expect is that if you're in a place with no enemies around then it's likely no enemies will happen along to mess with you, so you can just leave your character standing in one place with virtually guaranteed safety if you need to get up and do something