Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't done anything more stressful on my MBP than stream on OBS so far but I have yet to even hear the fans go on. My previous Asus laptop's fans would be audible as hell doing anything. Also the trackpad and speakers are night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am still like :stare: whenever I hear my M1 Pro MBP's speakers. They're insane

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My girlfriend's dad just got one and we were chatting about it yesterday and they were the first thing he mentioned.

When I was checking it out at Best Buy a couple months ago and I tested the sound I seriously thought the audio was coming from a nearby sound bar or something. Good audio coming out of a laptop was an alien experience.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't done anything more stressful on my MBP than stream on OBS so far but I have yet to even hear the fans go on. My previous Asus laptop's fans would be audible as hell doing anything. Also the trackpad and speakers are night and day.

the only thing that get the fans going for me is running windows update in a w11 vm

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What is the Windows VM to use? I don't plan on gaming or anything, just using the odd program or whatever that isn't M1 compatible. I couldn't patch a ROM last week because Lunar IPS wasn't compatible.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Parallels is the best right now, but you might get by with UTM, which is free. VMware fusion is also free but does not officially support windows.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am extremely disappointed about Apple’s reticence to have higher refresh rates. I’m locked in and can’t go back to lower refresh rates and now that I use a Surface Pro 8 for work (120Hz screen), and a 120+Hz screen for work and for home use, Apple screens feel like a downgrade, which is strange.

They’ve always had the best displays! I’d be lying if I said MacBook/Apple Screens aren’t impressive as hell, but the refresh rate issues are very annoying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Perplx posted:

Parallels is the best right now, but you might get by with UTM, which is free. VMware fusion is also free but does not officially support windows.

UTM sounds perfect. I'll download that after work.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm probably going to get a Mac Studio but I am entirely at a loss as to what monitor to get because the Apple studio display seems vastly overpriced for the specs considering I already have excellent speakers and don't particularly need a webcam; but everything else just seems so drat ugly. I hate 'gamer' aesthetic so much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm probably going to get a Mac Studio but I am entirely at a loss as to what monitor to get because the Apple studio display seems vastly overpriced for the specs considering I already have excellent speakers and don't particularly need a webcam; but everything else just seems so drat ugly. I hate 'gamer' aesthetic so much.

thats the thing, i agree that it's dumb not to have a higher refresh rate ityool 2022 (and lolmg those stands) but there's not really anything else like that display on the market outside of the hacked together dell 8k monitor. the only other option is the lg 5k 27, which is the same panels as the imac 27 (idk if it's the same panels as the studio display but they might be). and it's just a couple hundred bucks less. macs with a properly scaled display on a high res monitor are a really compelling experience. you get a tack sharp 2560x1440 experience.

everything else is either giant or lower resolution, which means you either put up with a very small windowing experience non-scaled because you're using the native res, or you scale it to 1080p which is pretty low for 27 inches. it's all dumb

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

The Lord Bude posted:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bdpf/monitors-monitor-accessories

This is the option I’m looking at. Either the 27" or the 32" version.
Either way you could buy two of these for the price of one of the Studio Monitor.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I think the moral of the story is don't buy 120hz displays if your eyes aren't broken yet, and enjoy the plethora of excellent 60hz 4k and 5k offerings.

FWIW if you're at all on a budget a $500 4k 27" monitor is fine running scaled 2560x1440. If I had ~$3000 to spend on a new desktop for work, then a base model studio and 2x 4k monitors would be a strong contender. I did that move a couple years ago with a 27" imac and a dell 4k monitor and it's been great.

If I needed M1 Ultra power and had M1 Ultra money I would expect one of the 5k offerings to be the correct choice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mediaphage posted:

thats the thing, i agree that it's dumb not to have a higher refresh rate ityool 2022 (and lolmg those stands) but there's not really anything else like that display on the market outside of the hacked together dell 8k monitor. the only other option is the lg 5k 27, which is the same panels as the imac 27 (idk if it's the same panels as the studio display but they might be). and it's just a couple hundred bucks less. macs with a properly scaled display on a high res monitor are a really compelling experience. you get a tack sharp 2560x1440 experience.

everything else is either giant or lower resolution, which means you either put up with a very small windowing experience non-scaled because you're using the native res, or you scale it to 1080p which is pretty low for 27 inches. it's all dumb

I don't even really give a gently caress about high refresh rates 60hz is fine for me, I just want a 4k or above monitor that fits in with the apple design aesthetic, doesn't have awful latency, and looks good (the image quality that is - and for reference I'm not a creative design professional, my image quality needs are 'looks good for the purposes of content consumption'). And I want it to not be one of those silly ultrawides, or bloody curved pieces of crap that everyone is obsessed with. For 2500 AUD I'd really expect HDR or local diming zones or something. The LG 5k monitors have awful build quality for the price. There are an absolute heap of monitors that meet my technical needs but they're encased in godawful gamer design.

The Apple Studio display is super expensive because it has an entire loving iphone SoC in it for no good reason, and ridiculous speakers that I bet most people will never use. They could have removed the SoC and the Speakers and put out the same monitor for say 1500 Aud and it would have been a much better proposition.

xgalaxy posted:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bdpf/monitors-monitor-accessories

Either way you could buy two of these for the price of one of the Studio Monitor.

I'm strongly considering the 32" version of this as well - It seems like the closest I'm gonna get, but the annoying thing is that a dell monitor isn't something I can just walk into a store and buy unlike most monitors on the market; so I have to deal with shipping, potential damage from said shipping; and having to deal directly with Dell if I have an issue instead of just taking it back to the store for a refund.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

4K at 27 doesn’t look good. I’m sorry, my day job is in word processing all day, (and affinity photo) and now that I’ve had a 27 iMac with 5k I can’t go back. Everything is sharper. Is it $600 more than things kinda similar? Sure, but you can keep a monitor for 10, 15 years.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

LionArcher posted:

4K at 27 doesn’t look good.

Wut? You mean 4k at 27" is too low of a PPI?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Wut? You mean 4k at 27" is too low of a PPI?

Correct. After being exposed to 5k it looks… off.

I have a 4K lg at 24 that I believe is still properly scaled. That’s at home for my old MBP. At my studio, I have a 2015 iMac 5k.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

LionArcher posted:

4K at 27 doesn’t look good.

I do 1080p on a 24 inch monitor so I'm calling BS on 4 times the pixels being insufficient for a monitor that's only about 25% larger

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Baronash posted:

I do 1080p on a 24 inch monitor so I'm calling BS on 4 times the pixels being insufficient for a monitor that's only about 25% larger

It doesn’t look good if you’re used to 5k. For second and 3rd monitors, 1080p is fine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Baronash posted:

You're perceiving it wrong

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

LionArcher posted:

It doesn’t look good if you’re used to 5k. For second and 3rd monitors, 1080p is fine.

it looks fine, just like 60hz is fine. 4k is definitely not as sharp as retina on a 5k but coming from 1080p or native 2560 you'll notice nothing but good things

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
We're currently converting one of the rooms in our house into a study for 2 and I'm in a similar boat of "what (matching) monitors do we buy". We're in the Apple ecosystem for our personal devices, but both our work-provided laptops are Windows (although my work are going to start rolling out new MacBook Pros soonish and I'll hop on that). I'm going to use the study for personal stuff in addition to work, but she'll only use it for work. We're both very much not into the tacky "gamer" aesthetic and neither of us are broke-brained on high refresh rates (yet). We've not got external speakers or webcams currently so the Studio Display seems like a good all-in-one solution EXCEPT the webcam apparently doesn't work at all on non-Macs, which makes it useless for her (and for me until I can trade in my Windows laptop).

I've found the 4K 144Hz 27" glossy Eve Spectrum which is also a contender (although their logistics are apparently a bit of a shambles). I think a high refresh rate would be more useful to me than the extra pixels, but does 4K scale well (coming from an M1 MacBook Air)?

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 11, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wish my ten year old 1080p monitor will die so I can justify buying a new fancy one

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hatty posted:

I wish my ten year old 1080p monitor will die so I can justify buying a new fancy one

Can always just perch it precariously on the edge of your desk and let gravity/cat/god/fate do the work for you.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

4K at 27" is fine. I'm sure that 5K would be better but acting like 4K is bad or unusable is just ???

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sphyre posted:

4K at 27" is fine. I'm sure that 5K would be better but acting like 4K is bad or unusable is just ???

I know they’re from like D&D, but I haven’t seen a goon with a corncob avatar that’s been wrong/undeserved yet

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ArcticZombie posted:

We're currently converting one of the rooms in our house into a study for 2 and I'm in a similar boat of "what (matching) monitors do we buy". We're in the Apple ecosystem for our personal devices, but both our work-provided laptops are Windows (although my work are going to start rolling out new MacBook Pros soonish and I'll hop on that). I'm going to use the study for personal stuff in addition to work, but she'll only use it for work. We're both very much not into the tacky "gamer" aesthetic and neither of us are broke-brained on high refresh rates (yet). We've not got external speakers or webcams currently so the Studio Display seems like a good all-in-one solution EXCEPT the webcam apparently doesn't work at all on non-Macs, which makes it useless for her (and for me until I can trade in my Windows laptop).

I've found the 4K 144Hz 27" glossy Eve Spectrum which is also a contender (although their logistics are apparently a bit of a shambles). I think a high refresh rate would be more useful to me than the extra pixels, but does 4K scale well (coming from an M1 MacBook Air)?

Yes, 4K scales well on macOS. It's not the Apple podcaster approved option, but as you mentioned, the 5K monitors only work with Macs, and you can buy 2 M1 MacBook Airs at a sale price for the cost of 1 Studio Display. What you want to avoid at all costs is a 1x monitor, such as a 1440p 27" monitor, since those look like rear end with Macs after Apple removed subpixel AA from macOS.

4K 60 Hz monitors are half the cost of 4K 144 Hz monitors if you don't need the high refresh rate for gaming.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Godzilla07 posted:

Yes, 4K scales well on macOS. It's not the Apple podcaster approved option, but as you mentioned, the 5K monitors only work with Macs, and you can buy 2 M1 MacBook Airs at a sale price for the cost of 1 Studio Display. What you want to avoid at all costs is a 1x monitor, such as a 1440p 27" monitor, since those look like rear end with Macs after Apple removed subpixel AA from macOS.

4K 60 Hz monitors are half the cost of 4K 144 Hz monitors if you don't need the high refresh rate for gaming.

I game on a 4K 60 monitor, AMA

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Go 21:9 Ultrawide or go home

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I currently use two 4K 144hz monitors on macOS exclusively, AMA.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The LG ultra fine 5k is probably the right call if you’re looking for a great display but don’t want the studio.

Studio is 100nits brighter than the LG tho, if that’s an issue for your environment.

I ordered 2 studio displays at the same time, but weirdly they’re arriving a week apart :confuoot:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

hatty posted:

I've been buying way too many used monitors just to see what I like for WFH and in office. So cheap 4K. Got a used Dell 28in 4k IPS for $180. Got a mother used 32" 4K IPS for $175 (has tiny scratch in the corner). Got a 43in 4K IPS for $600 (this one I wish were 5k but whatever).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So how does the AS GPU core stack up against current Nvidia/AMD GPU cores?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LODGE NORTH posted:

I currently use two 4K 144hz monitors on macOS exclusively, AMA.

4 Questions

1. What model(s) are the monitors?
2. What Dock/Adapters do you use to accomplish this?
3. What Mac(s) do you use them with?
4. Do both of these macs run them at 4k native res/144hz?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

4 Questions

1. What model(s) are the monitors?
2. What Dock/Adapters do you use to accomplish this?
3. What Mac(s) do you use them with?
4. Do both of these macs run them at 4k native res/144hz?

1) LG 27GN950-B (both of them)
2) I run a Hackintosh now (why I’ve never been all that active here), but I’m looking into a Studio for myself. If I end up getting one, I’d just get DisplayPort to USB-C cables and have them occupy two of the rear Thunderbolt ports.
3) Same as above!
4) This one is a bit weird. Big Sur 11.1 introduced a bug that made it impossible for AMD GPU run Macs to get 144hz - it breaks display stream compression. This wasn’t fixed until Monterrey, but only for M1 Macs. So for me to get native 4K@144hz, I’d have to use an M1 Mac. Which is a small part of why I’m thinking about a Studio. Right now, I can get at best 4K@120 with my Hackintosh and only 144hz when I plug in my SO’s M1 Mac Mini into one of them.

In theory, if you wanted to forgo anything after 11.0, you could run that and have 4K@144hz

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

I don’t really play PC games anymore, but higher refresh rates have benefits outside of gaming, right? Some Apple devices have ProMotion displays and Apple is certainly not going after the gaming crowd. Does macOS take proper advantage of the higher refresh rate on displays other than their own ProMotion displays?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ArcticZombie posted:

I don’t really play PC games anymore, but higher refresh rates have benefits outside of gaming, right? Some Apple devices have ProMotion displays and Apple is certainly not going after the gaming crowd. Does macOS take proper advantage of the higher refresh rate on displays other than their own ProMotion displays?

I enjoy scrolling and moving windows around being nice and smooth in macOS on my 144 Hz monitor, but the price premium at 4K for a 144 Hz monitor probably isn't worth it today unless you are gaming on the monitor as well.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So this might be odd, but has anyone ever used something like an iMac as a semi-portable video conference setup? We have some larger hardware for bigger rooms (Room Kits), but occasionally I get asked to help setup a remote thing at a remote location.
I'd just use one of our work machines, but due to the batshit insanity of our environment, webcams on our machines don't work very well.
I figure something like this is small enough to toss in a pelican case, has a large enough screen for a few people around a table, the camera seems good, and it has good speakers. Any ideas?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shaocaholica posted:

So how does the AS GPU core stack up against current Nvidia/AMD GPU cores?

no one really knows. apple's driver/library support is atrocious so it's impossible to tell if it's poor showing is hardware related or software related. right now the apple gpus are borderline useless except for some video editing workloads. tensorflow ml performance is a fraction of what you would expect from raw flops and there's almost no games using native metal so it's hard to really infer anything

if you need to run general purpose gpu stuff right now your only option is still nvidia. maybe apple will figure out their driver situation and macs can compete but they absolutely cannot right now

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it so wrong that I run a 27” 4K at native resolution? Switching to the 5K would make everything smaller, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like I'm the weirdo, but I actually strongly prefer a smaller screen. Are there recommendations for a nice 4K 24" monitor?
That would be the PPI for retina, right?