Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's easier if you just assume that every single famous person is a piece of poo poo.

Even the ones you like.

Especially the ones you like.

Literally one of the messages of the show is, "Never meet your heroes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Habibi posted:

Literally one of the messages of the show is, "Never meet your heroes."

Actually I think the message is more like "kill your heroes"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
fortunately most of my heros (marx, mao, lenin and turing) are all dead

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I have bad news about Lenin for you...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Joe Chill posted:

I have bad news about Lenin for you...

He's still alive? What the gently caress

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Jebediah Springfield was really brave and fought that bear with just his hands!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think I worked out the message Black Noir wrote to Homelander in the final episode.

We can do whatever we want

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, we already saw a prehensile penis. Lena Dunham could be The Labia.

That said, re:Awkwafina ep. Copromancer? The Shitherder? The Pied Pooper? Dr. Poolittle? The Dung Whisperer?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Jason Isaacs nailed comics-Butcher, holy poo poo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It was pretty interesting to see how an adaption closer to Ennis' original vision might've turned out. It also made me really glad we got what we did instead of that. :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eh, disagree. It would be a more focused show. Alot more cynical and purient tho.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You're literally the first person I've ever seen say (or imply I guess) the comic is better than the show - I tried a few issues, and took it as more puerile then prurient. I really love the show we have, but that show would be.... something else.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 11, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't rag on the comics quite as much as most people in the thread. But there's a lot of nonsense and a lot of things that are edgier than they need to be seemingly just for the sake of being edgy. I think the show has been largely successful at identifying what was good about the comics at their core while abandoning or retooling the worst stuff. If I went back through the comics again I could probably find a handful of things I wish had made it into the show or been done differently but on the whole I do think the show is the better version of the story.

Just my .02

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean just Mother's Milk alone

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you think they'll ever do Tek Knight? He's been namechecked a few times.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm a huge Ennis fan but there's a reason The Boys is no one's favourite Ennis comic. He just doesn't care enough about superheroes to parody them effectively (compare with something like Rifle Brigade, where he's way more invested in the tropes he's sending up) and it gets pretty lazy.

If they took the more serious stuff from the comics (eg Vought vs the US government, the Hughie-Annie romance) and combined it with the show's superhero bits, that'd be the best of both worlds imo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Clipperton posted:

Yeah I'm a huge Ennis fan but there's a reason The Boys is no one's favourite Ennis comic. He just doesn't care enough about superheroes to parody them effectively (compare with something like Rifle Brigade, where he's way more invested in the tropes he's sending up) and it gets pretty lazy.

If they took the more serious stuff from the comics (eg Vought vs the US government, the Hughie-Annie romance) and combined it with the show's superhero bits, that'd be the best of both worlds imo.

I loved the idea of "What if superheroes were assholes?" IMHO the problem was that Ennis never firmly decided whether to parody existing superhero comics or to create his own world.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Walrus posted:

You're literally the first person I've ever seen say (or imply I guess) the comic is better than the show - I tried a few issues, and took it as more puerile then prurient. I really love the show we have, but that show would be.... something else.

No. The comics are absolutely worse than the TV show.

But I found myself really interested in the animated version of it. It's just 1 episode but dunno, it had a cool interesting edge not present in the live action show. And the superheroes being utterly hosed played with an interesting dissonance if you grew up watching justice league

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

The comics are hot garbage in so many ways. Ennis even released an eight-issue comic set in the present, and it's incredibly cringey. The first couple of pages are Wee Hughie talking with a burly MTF scot about woke politics with all the subtlety you'd expect from 52 y/o Irish man.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 12, 2022

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The point of that scene is that "wokeness" or w/e is a way for cis people to slap themselves on the back for being Allies while conspicuously failing to provide material support to trans people, which seems pretty on point to me

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Clipperton posted:

The point of that scene is that "wokeness" or w/e is a way for cis people to slap themselves on the back for being Allies while conspicuously failing to provide material support to trans people, which seems pretty on point to me

Wait, you're telling me storm front didn't actually make the world better for women?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Gynovore posted:

I loved the idea of "What if superheroes were assholes?" IMHO the problem was that Ennis never firmly decided whether to parody existing superhero comics or to create his own world.

That's the 'problem' with Ennis: he hates comic books as a genre, but loves comic books as a storytelling medium.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

That's the 'problem' with Ennis: he hates comic books as a genre, but loves comic books as a storytelling medium.

I don't even think he hates superheroes so much, he just finds them juvenile and he doesn't like how they crowd out Proper Comics (ie ones about World War 2).

If you want to see someone who absolutely loving loathes superheroes, check out Dan Clowes's PUSSEY!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

it reads more to me like our protagonist hughie claiming his fellow white folk are all victimhood-seekers to his white friend, who immediately proves him right. googling all this leads me to believe that is a character named "Big Bobbi" whose deadname was "Big Bobby," which is a pretty stupid choice for Ennis to make in good faith, but makes sense if he thinks it would be funny that trans women don't understand homophones

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Bobbi chose the name specifically so she could wind up her mates by randomly accusing them of deadnaming her. Which is pretty on par for how Ennis characters behave, especially in The Boys.

And I don't think the scene is about "woke" white people claiming victimhood at all, it's about how being conspicuously woke is mostly a matter of paying lip service to things rather than doing them

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clipperton posted:

I don't even think he hates superheroes so much, he just finds them juvenile and he doesn't like how they crowd out Proper Comics (ie ones about World War 2).

If you want to see someone who absolutely loving loathes superheroes, check out Dan Clowes's PUSSEY!

The thing is, Ennis finding anything juvenile is a vantablack pot pointing at a slightly scuffed kettle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ennis is a guy who really has an excellent understanding of things like momentum and propulsion so he can keep a story moving and shaking but anyone who valorizes roughnecks and soldiers and Operators to that degree is a massive fuckin tool

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Ennis is a guy who really has an excellent understanding of things like momentum and propulsion so he can keep a story moving and shaking but anyone who valorizes roughnecks and soldiers and Operators to that degree is a massive fuckin tool

He's certainly sympathetic to them but I'd disagree that he "valorizes" them, except to the degree that anyone who makes an action movie "valorizes" violence. An interesting choice he made in that regard was back at the start of Punisher Max, where the CIA asks Frank to work for them killing terrorists (this was right as the War on Terror was getting going). Anyone who only wanted to write two-fisted Ultimate Operator stories would have jumped at that, but Ennis has Frank say "gently caress you...I'm not going to war so Colt can sell another million M16s, I had enough of that in Vietnam".

He did a Weird War Stories short ages ago where a bunch of SAS guys were given a choice of taking some drug which would turn them into super-soldiers at the cost of becoming atrocity-committing psychopaths, and they all said yes, which was a pretty savage indictment of the "operator" mindset imo.

McSpanky posted:

The thing is, Ennis finding anything juvenile is a vantablack pot pointing at a slightly scuffed kettle.

Haha fair enough

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 12, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTgqUW-NYE

Who's the guy at the end escaping from the restraints?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Maybe Soldier Boy?

Also :holymoley: the shot of Homelander milking the cow. I kinda wish they didn't spoil that Butcher will be trying compound V or getting powers. Or maybe that's just a dream sequence.

Extremely :stoked: for season 3.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Given how the showrunners like to throw curveballs, the only thing I'd fully expect to see in the show from the trailer is The Deep fantasizing about an octopus while hooking up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

spacetoaster posted:

Soldier Boy, I think. I know Jensen Ackles had a big beard during some of the filming.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Captain America was asleep for decades before he popped back up, probably something similar for Soldier Boy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nice to see Homelander's son pop back up, I seriously cannot imagine that guy is okay with the CIA stealing his child

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh my god, the Pepsi can protest bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

LesterGroans posted:

Soldier Boy, I think. I know Jensen Ackles had a big beard during some of the filming.

If you pause it, it's Jensen Ackles with a giant beard. Why he was frozen/in suspended animation I don't know, but it it worked for Captain America.

Definitely looked like there was some Viet Nam flash backs with him in them. Maybe Vought figured out how to cryogenically freeze people who'd been injected with Compound V, and so they keep him like that unless they need him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Compound V is made from Super Soldier Blood! :stonklol:

Though it'd be much better if he was just kept in some holoworld because he had the Pure Uncut V that NaziGirl got and either had WW2/Nam shellshock or was just unstable

Shooting Blanks posted:

the only thing I'd fully expect to see in the show from the trailer is The Deep fantasizing about an octopus while hooking up.
Going for that octussy... tentacussy...cephaluss... goddamn how do you make octopus and pussy a funny combo?!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FilthyImp posted:

Compound V is made from Super Soldier Blood! :stonklol:

Though it'd be much better if he was just kept in some holoworld because he had the Pure Uncut V that NaziGirl got and either had WW2/Nam shellshock or was just unstable

Going for that octussy... tentacussy...cephaluss... goddamn how do you make octopus and pussy a funny combo?!

Quoting james bond should do it. That Octopussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

BioEnchanted posted:

Quoting james bond should do it. That Octopussy.

:thejoke: