Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This looks really great. Will the panel be cherry too?

Thanks. No, the panel will be a 4-way bookmatch of walnut burl, it's in the vacuum press right now.

I really like cherry and walnut together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is that a typo, or does that really exist? :stare:

Oh my bad! It's a 12"!

I also have a 14" chop saw, for cutting metal, and I got the sizes reversed in my head.

That said: 14 inch miter saws do exist.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is that a typo, or does that really exist? :stare:

Back in the day, miter saws were not made to lean over for bevel cuts so if you wanted to do wide crown molding or base mold, you got the Makita 14". Hitachi made a 15". They each cost as much as a good used table saw.

And like meatpimp said, Makita made a bigass beam cutter that was just about the scariest tool on the site. Just put a sole plate on a chainsaw ffs.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh my bad! It's a 12"!

I also have a 14" chop saw, for cutting metal, and I got the sizes reversed in my head.

That said: 14 inch miter saws do exist.

lol gently caress me, they still exist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Mambold posted:

And like meatpimp said, Makita made a bigass beam cutter that was just about the scariest tool on the site. Just put a sole plate on a chainsaw ffs.

I bought one for $40 from someone that thought it was a regular circular saw. You're right, one of the scariest tools I've ever physically handed. That blade is fast and enormus and barely guarded.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Postin this again. Circular saws rock. Beam saws really rock. Do more with less!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
My miter saw broke a while back, and I replaced it with a handheld circular saw because it was cheaper and (a decent, quality model) available at the local hardware store. Safety-wise, I think the most important part is making sure that the cut depth is set appropriately and you're using a guide. Having a huge chunk of blade hanging out below your cut is asking for trouble, and so is free-handing a cut.
Honestly, I've done just fine without it. I think if I were working with longer pieces it might be an issue but I can cross-cut on my table saw no problem.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Free handing cuts with a circular saw is superrr easy after any amount of time cutting plywood. Miter saw and circular saw fit completely different uses though but I agree most home owners probably don't need a circular saw if they arent doing their own upkeep

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the first time you build a shed or resheathe your exterior or want to cut rafters at a family members house quick and dirty, you'll appreciate having a good circular saw. Worm-drive supremacy

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, the first time you build a shed or resheathe your exterior or want to cut rafters at a family members house quick and dirty, you'll appreciate having a good circular saw. Makita hypoid-drive supremacy

Fixed that. It's a couple pounds lighter so you can one-hand it, no chain, no oiler, and has reverse winding brake since 1988.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oooo. I have not checked out the new fangled technologies yet. I'll have to take a look at them. I've always used my dad's old wormdrive skillsaw and the bog standard inline circular saw Craftsman

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

You rang?

https://youtu.be/pUtvD-bCKsQ

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, the first time you build a shed or resheathe your exterior or want to cut rafters at a family members house quick and dirty, you'll appreciate having a good circular saw. Worm-drive supremacy

I have both a sidewinder and a worm drive, useful in different situations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I knew I'd seen that somewhere. No oiler. :thumbsdown:

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have both a sidewinder and a worm drive, useful in different situations.

Who knows why standard circular saws are Lefty, but worm drive are Righty? I don't, but as a lefty, I learned I was sawmbidextrous.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
I used some wood stain on rubberwood nightstand parts and plan to put polyurethane on them next. I applied the stain over 48 hours ago; it seems fully dry in the sense that the wood is certainly not tacky or wet or anything, but there is still a noticeable smell, though this has been continuously lessening. (It’s been both humid and cool out lately around here, which maybe slowed things down.) Should I wait for the odor to go away completely before I apply the polyurethane? If it matters, both the stain and the poly are oil-based Minwax products.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gabriel-Ernest posted:

I used some wood stain on rubberwood nightstand parts and plan to put polyurethane on them next. I applied the stain over 48 hours ago; it seems fully dry in the sense that the wood is certainly not tacky or wet or anything, but there is still a noticeable smell, though this has been continuously lessening. (It’s been both humid and cool out lately around here, which maybe slowed things down.) Should I wait for the odor to go away completely before I apply the polyurethane? If it matters, both the stain and the poly are oil-based Minwax products.

It's probably fine, 48 hours should be more than long enough unless you're in a bog or something. If you use a stain and then a poly (or whatever) that have the same solvent you may pick a little up on the first coat but it's not usually a problem in my experience.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I remember someone saying that their glue turned to dust in the cold, what does oiling wood in 35 degrees do?

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.

Wallet posted:

It's probably fine, 48 hours should be more than long enough unless you're in a bog or something. If you use a stain and then a poly (or whatever) that have the same solvent you may pick a little up on the first coat but it's not usually a problem in my experience.

Thanks! Solvent thing is good to know, I’ll bear that in mind.

(I did have to lol re: bog woodworking as I am in fact 5 minutes away from a nice big wetlands preserve/park. No plans to take my stuff down to the boardwalk though)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I remember someone saying that their glue turned to dust in the cold, what does oiling wood in 35 degrees do?
Take a long time to dry or possibly not dry/polymerize/cure until the temp rises depending on that you’re using.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Finally starting to see some progress on the workbench. 8 pieces of 3 1/2" red oak, a bit less than 2" wide each, plus cherry tool tray. Just need to add about 9" on the back side, which will be the crap white wood I have on hand, because it's lighter and the top is already over 100 pounds.

There's a long gap which will be for an extended wagon / tail vise.

A couple spots are pretty wormy, gonna fill those with epoxy before I finish.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I had an exciting weekend: I got to meet Chris Schwarz and his business partner Megan Fitzpatrick. He's been selling chairs via his blog. I got the opportunity to buy this one in cherry, which is great because all of the furniture I've been building for this room is in cherry. Here it is next to my dining table, which you may remember me talking about building in this thread a few years ago.

I had the option to either have them crate & ship it, or drive down to their shop to pick it up. I had nothing going on this past weekend, so I decided to do the road trip. It's about 11 hours from Saint Paul to Cincinnati. It was really cool getting to meet them, since I've followed them online for so long and his books really inspired me to get into the hobby. We all chatted for about an hour, I got a tour of their shop, he showed me some techniques I had been wondering about, I got to see the bog oak chair he had just finished and a bunch of the actual pieces from Design Book.

It's cool having the chair now as inspiration. Being hand-made, it's got little imperfections if you look up close, so I can kind of see this as something to aim for in my own work. I've been considering making a chair for a while, so I think making a simpler version of this might be my next project.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

ColdPie posted:

I had an exciting weekend: I got to meet Chris Schwarz and his business partner Megan Fitzpatrick. He's been selling chairs via his blog. I got the opportunity to buy this one in cherry, which is great because all of the furniture I've been building for this room is in cherry. Here it is next to my dining table, which you may remember me talking about building in this thread a few years ago.

I had the option to either have them crate & ship it, or drive down to their shop to pick it up. I had nothing going on this past weekend, so I decided to do the road trip. It's about 11 hours from Saint Paul to Cincinnati. It was really cool getting to meet them, since I've followed them online for so long and his books really inspired me to get into the hobby. We all chatted for about an hour, I got a tour of their shop, he showed me some techniques I had been wondering about, I got to see the bog oak chair he had just finished and a bunch of the actual pieces from Design Book.

It's cool having the chair now as inspiration. Being hand-made, it's got little imperfections if you look up close, so I can kind of see this as something to aim for in my own work. I've been considering making a chair for a while, so I think making a simpler version of this might be my next project.

That's super cool, thanks for sharing.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ColdPie posted:

That is a beautiful chair. I'd love to attempt to make one some day.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

That's really cool, and a great looking chair.

When I first saw those stick chairs I wasn't in love with the look of them, but they have really grown on me and I really love the design he is making now. They seem like a great way to get into more traditional chairmaking without all the faff of steam-bending and sourcing green/air dried wood.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Viscosity changes too when oil is cold, so it might not penetrate as well or at the same rate so you may have issues there too. Polymerization I think has to do with interaction with oxygen, but maybe temp interacts with that too? A chemist may know :)
From what I've experienced is that BLO takes a lot longer to cure if it's cold. On the upside, I don't think that oils really care that much if they do get really cold so if you warm them back up they should be good to go.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm slowly turning my garage into a small shop, and need something capable of doing cuts beyond what my little handheld circular saw can do. I was thinking of a band saw, since it would give me a lot of flexibility that I can't get from a table saw, but are there other options?

I'm on a budget, and unfortunately it seems like there aren't a lot of used options near me, so it looks like ~$200 for a 9 inch Ryobi from home depot might be my only option right now. IS there anything I should look into beyond that?

e: i have a friend who I think has a spare scroll saw which i could get for a pack of beer, so i could have the detail stuff sorted at least for cheap

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 10, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I'm slowly turning my garage into a small shop, and need something capable of doing cuts beyond what my little handheld circular saw can do. I was thinking of a band saw, since it would give me a lot of flexibility that I can't get from a table saw, but are there other options?

I'm on a budget, and unfortunately it seems like there aren't a lot of used options near me, so it looks like ~$200 for a 9 inch Ryobi from home depot might be my only option right now. IS there anything I should look into beyond that?

Bandsaw is good, functional, and available on the used market. Look for a 14" Delta or clone, they used to be close to your price range, I don't know what they are now. But they are FAR beyond a 9" big box store bandsaw.

Edit: Sorry, I was off by a bit in what the 14" saws normally sell for. I got mine with a throat extension and fence for $250 in the summer of last year, but in looking at current listings and sales, that was crazy cheap. Still a great tool though, and holds its value even if you spend a couple hundred more.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 10, 2022

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

A Real Happy Camper posted:

e: i have a friend who I think has a spare scroll saw which i could get for a pack of beer, so i could have the detail stuff sorted at least for cheap

Sounds like a bandsaw would be the way to go. Unfortunately anything smaller than a 14" is basically a toy and you will likely be frustrated. Lee Valley has a Rikon 14", Busybee has a Craftex 14" and CWI has a 14" that would all be decent, but all over $1k.

I recognize you from the Toronto thread, so if I see anything used come up in the area I'll send you a pm. Although the used market for bandsaws around here hasn't been great. I was looking for one, as I was waiting on a new one for 11 months, I figured if I could get something reasonable used I would cancel my order, but there's not much out there.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Im working on a coffee table project, the legs/base are all turned parts. My first time building something where the majority of the parts are turned. It is quite satisfying going from a rough blank to a totally sanded piece complete with joinery in a short period of time straight from the lathe. I chose the turned base as I would like to tackle a windsor chair sometime in the future, so this is a bit of practice.

Here it is all roughed in, need to do the panel for the top, then I can wedge all the through tenons and trim them flush. Also need to take a couple inches off the legs as I left them a bit long.

Update, I got the panel in. Still needs a bit more work to clean up but I am very happy that it turned out, I also got it to sit even with the frame which was what was concerning me the most with the build.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Update, I got the panel in. Still needs a bit more work to clean up but I am very happy that it turned out, I also got it to sit even with the frame which was what was concerning me the most with the build.

That is super sharp and awesome. I can't wait until you put a finish on that and post pictures.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's really cool, and a great looking chair.

When I first saw those stick chairs I wasn't in love with the look of them, but they have really grown on me and I really love the design he is making now. They seem like a great way to get into more traditional chairmaking without all the faff of steam-bending and sourcing green/air dried wood.

That reminds me to ask, for anyone else who’s read the Anarchist’s Design Book - is there any real reason Schwarz makes all his legs and stretchers octagonal? I don’t think he really gets into that in the book. Just to give them the appearance e of being round without having to actually turn them?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's mostly a result of how the parts are made. When you use a plane to make parts that way, an octagon is what you get halfway through the process. You can continue to make it nice and round, but you don't have to.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

random wax question: I haven't used it much and I'm going to pick a can up, any reason you wouldn't get butchers bowling alley wax? Seems hard enough to polish nicely

ColdPie posted:

Killer chair, I actually have a weird question.. I go back and forth when I'm deep in a project and it's hard to see the big picture sometimes especially in regards to imperfections, what kind of stuff did they leave? I'm well past letting perfect be the enemy of good and I've looped back into sand until you're happy (a hosed up curse someone told me once) which means I'm somewhat coming full circle I suppose but I'm curious as to what they left and didnt care to hide or fix

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2022

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Noxville posted:

That reminds me to ask, for anyone else who’s read the Anarchist’s Design Book - is there any real reason Schwarz makes all his legs and stretchers octagonal? I don’t think he really gets into that in the book. Just to give them the appearance e of being round without having to actually turn them?

Schwarz has a strong sub-theme of making woodworking accessible, and especially making "specialty" woodworking, like chairmaking, accessible.

Hence planed octagonal legs (which are historically accurate) to avoid needing a lathe. Hence riving kiln dried wood to avoid needing to source green wood. Hence using mostly a jack plane and a scorp/inshave for chair seats to avoid needing an adze or a travisher.

When you see him breaking convention its almost always in the service of this idea that "if I can just reduce the barrier of what people think they need to do this, they just might finally try it."

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
IDK where else to ask this, but I just bought an old bench grinder that says "do not use wheels rated for less than 3600 rpm" and it came with an old 7" wheel which is supposed to be kept under 3600 rpm. I'm probably good to go right? The wheel doesn't have any visible cracks and passes the ring test.

I know I'm being a bit paranoid but I really, really don't wanna join the ranks of people getting themselves killed in stupid ways :v:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Is getting a new wheel difficult?
If it's old, and used, you may as well get a fresh wheel if for no other reason to have a good new wheel to work with on top of the potential safety issue.

The wheel hasn't exploded YET, do you want to be the (un)lucky winner for when it hits that just-right combo of going too fast, being worn, and being old?

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

El Spamo posted:

Is getting a new wheel difficult?

Nah, I'm just usually cheap, though I'll spend money if it's worth it.

What kind of wheel would you recommend? Everything at the local hardware stores is <$15 but then I see a Norton wheel is $30+

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

random wax question: I haven't used it much and I'm going to pick a can up, any reason you wouldn't get butchers bowling alley wax? Seems hard enough to polish nicely

Killer chair, I actually have a weird question.. I go back and forth when I'm deep in a project and it's hard to see the big picture sometimes especially in regards to imperfections, what kind of stuff did they leave? I'm well past letting perfect be the enemy of good and I've looped back into sand until you're happy (a hosed up curse someone told me once) which means I'm somewhat coming full circle I suppose but I'm curious as to what they left and didnt care to hide or fix

One of the leg angles is a little wonky, which makes me feel a lot better about my own leg angles; there was a chip knocked loose from one of the armrest mortises, which was glued back into place; there are like, two dings and a stray sawtooth mark. That's about it. Little stuff, but very relatable.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just get one of the white Norton wheels and be down with it. They're great wheels

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So I needed to remove a smoke tree because it had been allowed to grow sideways on the ground, but there were lots of bigger branches to it. So i finally got around to cleaning up that mess and grabbed a few of the more interesting pieces to screw around with.

This is the deep spoon I made in less than a day with one of those pieces. It’s a brilliant yellow and orange even without the mineral oil. And I have two more pieces left that I’ll make some spatula utensils out of this week too.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Man a Delta 12" 46-700 lathe just popped up on my local craigslist for $100. In the last 5 years I think I've thought "this would be much easier with a lathe" like 3 times but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Spookmaster posted:

Man a Delta 12" 46-700 lathe just popped up on my local craigslist for $100. In the last 5 years I think I've thought "this would be much easier with a lathe" like 3 times but still.

For that money, you don't even need to rationalize. If you have the space.

edit

Jhet posted:

So I needed to remove a smoke tree because it had been allowed to grow sideways on the ground, but there were lots of bigger branches to it. So i finally got around to cleaning up that mess and grabbed a few of the more interesting pieces to screw around with.

This is the deep spoon I made in less than a day with one of those pieces. It’s a brilliant yellow and orange even without the mineral oil. And I have two more pieces left that I’ll make some spatula utensils out of this week too.

Also, that is gorgeous wood. Are you in Aus or somewhere? I've never heard of a smoke tree except something high school kids congregate under after school