Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hunt11 posted:

No. If the bar fills up and you are unable to bring it down in 2 in game weeks you lose.

It is incredibly easy to just leave a couple bar reduction missions on the map while you do whatever and if you get into the "win or lose" countdown, you just go beat one and not only push the bar back but also reset your doomsday counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Marienburg would make sense both as their own faction (in lore iirc they aren't part of the Empire and have their own military/heroes), or as the HQ for Dogs Of War as their own faction.

Edit:
Googled it out of curiosity and yeah Marienburg is an independent state that has elves, dwarfs, Tileans, halflings, and even a Cathayan enclave. Would make for a real fun military if CA would just go ham on modeling and animations.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 11, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Oof, just fought Kugath and got an 8 turn attrition plague for my troubles. Any way to clear that or am i stuck parking this army for 8 turns while i wait for it to clear?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy gently caress the Khorne vs. Counts match-up is hilariously lopsided. Yes, please march zombies into Skarbrand, he totally won't quickly get to 3k weapon damage. He totally won't three shot Mannfred on his dragon. More stacks? Wonderful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It is incredibly easy to just leave a couple bar reduction missions on the map while you do whatever and if you get into the "win or lose" countdown, you just go beat one and not only push the bar back but also reset your doomsday counter.

That was changed so that the progress on the counter stays.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One particularly frustrating unit in Kislev's roster are Strelsi.

Now on paper a rifle unit with great axes sounds excellent. They also have pretty decent armor and shouldn't be slouches in melee. But this is never the case, and they end up being the worst of both worlds.

They seem to suffer the same persnickety LOS issues Iron Hail gunners have. They'll take ages to get into a formation where they actually shoot. They also get wrecked pretty quick against armored targets even though they should be getting kills.

Seems like the best Strelsi are the ones zooming around on sleds.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Panfilo posted:

One particularly frustrating unit in Kislev's roster are Strelsi.

Now on paper a rifle unit with great axes sounds excellent. They also have pretty decent armor and shouldn't be slouches in melee. But this is never the case, and they end up being the worst of both worlds.

They seem to suffer the same persnickety LOS issues Iron Hail gunners have. They'll take ages to get into a formation where they actually shoot. They also get wrecked pretty quick against armored targets even though they should be getting kills.

Seems like the best Strelsi are the ones zooming around on sleds.

It's best to think of Streltsi as a ranged unit that can hold on a bit in melee. Like Thunderers for dwarfs. They are ideal if placed on a rise to shoot downwards. They wreck house when you can get it right. Single entity monsters get owned. I never got much out of them for their armor piercing melee as Kossars, Tsar Guard and the Ice Women are better in melee.

Iron Hail Gunners are more like matchlock ashigaru in Shogan 2. Highly deadly but rip like tissue paper when caught. If you can protect them them get a good angle then they do work.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Really wish I hadn't spent money on this pre-IE/mods/arbitrary time it takes to get unfucked. Haven't had a single fun campaign so far. It's really dumb that the game can feel THIS much of a step-back when compared to II, sure sure half a year down the line etc etc etc but idk why it can't be a resounding out-of-the-park entry for the vast majority RIGHT NOW, ON LAUNCH, yeah? They've had two entries + post-launch iteration to look back on, it shouldn't be hitting me that, beyond bigger issues they should have seen coming (like the core campaign mechanic) we've ALSO had silly reinventing the wheel nitpicks like them recoloring the build/demolish timer ribbons to both be red (as opposed to green/red respectively, as was the case in I and II) or gutting all the neat race-specific city-outcome art assets they had for what you do to a settlement after the battle, etc... Feels like every level of game-play or design I look at or experience I get something that annoys me and that seems incredibly easy to avoid given, again, I and II + postlaunch to look back on.

Most of all upset at not having caveat-eptor'd myself after watching a few pre-release WH content creator vids who were all very positive only for now, post launch, to be collectively critical to a much greater degree. I think the only pre-release review I saw that should have REALLY pumped the breaks was Mandalore's, and I watched that AFTER pre-purchasing. Very curious to see if he gets more pre-release review-copy after basically saying "maybe wait until IE unless you REALLY want to put up with BS" in his review. Should have refunded and waited, my mistake.

(milkandcookiesTW)

lol

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
A main issue for the Streltsi is actually not an issue with them but rather the common foes of Kislev.

You have 2 main foes as Kislev with 2 potential minor foes. Daemons of Chaos and Norscans are your main threats, the former with physical resistance and the latter with low armour units. This creates a situation where Streltsi really aren't fulfilling their needed purpose (AP ranged damage). Then we get Ogre's and Vampires are the minor threats. Skrag's gonna come, but of the Ogre units the only ones with high armour are Tyrants, the cavalry, Ironguts, Stonehorns and the Artillery.

In most of those cases, you really need a way to keep them locked down while the Streltsi do their thing, the only real options for that being Ice Guard with Glaives, War Bear Riders and Kossar's with spears. The Kossar's will melt, so let's ignore them, if you have access to Ice Guard with Glaives... quite frankly you don't need Streltsi, the Glaives are anti large in melee, AP normally because they use magic weapons, and in general useful against Daemons more than Streltsi will be. War Bear Riders don't have the range but they actually just loving destroy the entire ogre army because they're anti-large, armour piercing and armoured. They actually just eat Ogre's. So why Streltsi if you can have War Bears OR Glaives. The units that enable them also invalidate them in a larger scope.

If you had to fight the Dwarfs Streltsi would be really good because they are an AP unit that can handle the heavy armour, at a cheaper cost They also kinda work against Skaven due to like Stormvermin? But the Skaven actual danger is in monsters and weapons teams to which the answer is again, Ice Guard and War Bears.

Like you aren't gonna use Steltsi against Daemon's because they're all 20% physical resistance, so you just want magic damage.

Like... Streltsi would be really good if Kostaltyn gave them like Holy Bullets or whatever.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
WH3 will be fine, I just think all the launch factions are boring compared to WH1 and WH2. I played everyone and they were ok, but ultimately I would rather be killing them as a different faction.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Took most of the Chaos Dwarf lands and the mountains Ungrim and Zhulfbar are in but lost steam and closed the campaign around turn 120. Ogres are really fun and with absolute economic might and a lop-sided hero cap faction you can actually keep every province pacified, pure and with rifts closed within 1-2 turns of opening. Downright cozy. Walling every city up with mega garrisons activates some potent neurons in my brain. The big problems are that I can't maintain dom momentum in many cases on VH while also contesting whoever is winning the rifts to bump them off and the best strategy for comfortable traditional VH dom victories are to make a few big friends.

So I did with both Meow and Zhao buuuut Dom victory is impossible without wiping every major faction on the map, all 8 of them in the Soul Race. That actually seems a critical oversight now that I notice it. Domination victories in Vortex and ME in WH2 always seemed to be more lenient, usually limited to 3 themed rivals(i.e. as Queek take K8P and defeat Skarsnik and Belegar's factions at least, maybe 1 other.) Although I could hunk down for 50+ indepth turns of cracking and devouring the Kislev/Empire quarter of the map alone... it doesn't seem conceivable to mount enough doomstacks to clear out the two Cathayan powerhouses. It wasn't like in WH2 ME that you'd play say Aranessa and have to defeat Wulfric AND Luthor AND Noctilus and then turn around and 100% wipe out Tyrion, Malekith, Grimgrog and Mazdamundi as well, far after at least two of them hit 20+ settlement super power status. If the ME campaign wasn't a pain in the rear end with the 8 big cities requirement you just got your 3 rivals out of the way. Sometimes they died offscreen.

Fighting Ungrim's usual slayer stack as Ogres might be the most pain you can experience while actually winning a battle.

Also AI cheats are so strong they can colonize and tier up red clime 100 corruption buildings in the Chaos Wastes. Northern Provinces had their borders 3 provinces into hell, pushing up against where Tzeentch spawns!

And I hope Ogre bugs get ironed out in the next patch or two. I really love the idea of COME AND GET IT so that you can actually recruit from your Tier 4 and 5 camps without walking or trying to rift to them and back and/or while doing the rift race too, but it seems that it works the first turn you use it and then turns itself off until you wait ten turns to clear the buff, because recasting it didn't work either. Boo. And any settlement garrison that spawns a caster without spells is just a bad joke, cahm awn CA score sahm fahkin' hawtfeekkseeesss LETS GO OGGARRRS

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I just don't understand this. Putting one fire out after another is why they are fun! I really like Kislev's campaign because I thought they did an awesome job at making you feel like you're always under seige and scrambling. I like it. Even the Realms fit well with their campaign specifically I think, even if with they don't with others and would get repetitious.

If you want to just have steamroll campaigns you've got things like Khorne (and maybe some of the other demons I haven't played with yet). The variety of campaign feel is a huge strength of the game, and the TW games in general.

It's stressful but you are right it can be fun and slightly annoying at the same time. My main point was from few pages earlier it seems like a mistake to put this as starter campaign. Doubt there is that many new players coming but people who play in normal will probably not find Kislev the easiest.

Also I am a total war fan before warhammer, I remember the community being slightly negative on every launch(for good reasons) but in most cases it has worked out(not Britannia).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
am i misunderstanding the camera settings or are they just bugged for your faction

i have own faction hero movement set to "off" but the slaaneshi cultists ive sent off into the void to wind down their cult counter and make a new one in some far corner of the map insist on grabbing the camera to show me them walking along their 15-move dash to gently caress knows where

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

A Perfect Twist posted:

It's best to think of Streltsi as a ranged unit that can hold on a bit in melee. Like Thunderers for dwarfs. They are ideal if placed on a rise to shoot downwards. They wreck house when you can get it right. Single entity monsters get owned. I never got much out of them for their armor piercing melee as Kossars, Tsar Guard and the Ice Women are better in melee.

Iron Hail Gunners are more like matchlock ashigaru in Shogan 2. Highly deadly but rip like tissue paper when caught. If you can protect them them get a good angle then they do work.
If you look at the stats their ranged damage isn't anything spectacular. The main asset is having a platform that can quickly damage units like Chariots and flyers.

Onmi posted:

A main issue for the Streltsi is actually not an issue with them but rather the common foes of Kislev.

You have 2 main foes as Kislev with 2 potential minor foes. Daemons of Chaos and Norscans are your main threats, the former with physical resistance and the latter with low armour units. This creates a situation where Streltsi really aren't fulfilling their needed purpose (AP ranged damage). Then we get Ogre's and Vampires are the minor threats. Skrag's gonna come, but of the Ogre units the only ones with high armour are Tyrants, the cavalry, Ironguts, Stonehorns and the Artillery.

In most of those cases, you really need a way to keep them locked down while the Streltsi do their thing, the only real options for that being Ice Guard with Glaives, War Bear Riders and Kossar's with spears. The Kossar's will melt, so let's ignore them, if you have access to Ice Guard with Glaives... quite frankly you don't need Streltsi, the Glaives are anti large in melee, AP normally because they use magic weapons, and in general useful against Daemons more than Streltsi will be. War Bear Riders don't have the range but they actually just loving destroy the entire ogre army because they're anti-large, armour piercing and armoured. They actually just eat Ogre's. So why Streltsi if you can have War Bears OR Glaives. The units that enable them also invalidate them in a larger scope.

If you had to fight the Dwarfs Streltsi would be really good because they are an AP unit that can handle the heavy armour, at a cheaper cost They also kinda work against Skaven due to like Stormvermin? But the Skaven actual danger is in monsters and weapons teams to which the answer is again, Ice Guard and War Bears.

Like you aren't gonna use Steltsi against Daemon's because they're all 20% physical resistance, so you just want magic damage.

Like... Streltsi would be really good if Kostaltyn gave them like Holy Bullets or whatever.

This is also true. The reason Ice Warriors are great is not because they're T4 ranged, but rather because they have a long ranged slowing attack that can stack with many other slowing abilities. In addition they can run with glaives that will do slowing and magic damage.

If Chaos ran with lots of great weapon/halbersd warriors and aspiring Champs they would have more utility I think. Based on their counterpart, great weapon armored kossars the idea seems to be a great weapon unit with a better ranged attack at the cost of some armor and fighting ability.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

It's stressful but you are right it can be fun and slightly annoying at the same time. My main point was from few pages earlier it seems like a mistake to put this as starter campaign. Doubt there is that many new players coming but people who play in normal will probably not find Kislev the easiest.

Also I am a total war fan before warhammer, I remember the community being slightly negative on every launch(for good reasons) but in most cases it has worked out(not Britannia).
Oh for sure it shouldn't be labeled the starter faction, I just don't understand the complaint about it being hard and therefore bad. I do understand that the balance between difficulty and fun is hard to get and also very subjective, I just think they nailed in a way that a lot of games haven't. Its funny that someone brought up xcom, because I think the new games also do a good job of making you constantly feeling like you're on the verge of disaster even if everything is under control. Kislev feels the same way.

Also Kislev doesnt really have hybrid units, or at least, ice guard and maybe armored kossars (oddly) are the only real ones. They have archers who are less poo poo in melee than other factions' but they're still poo poo. Streltsi are similar: they are gunpowder units who can maybe do some damage on the way down. They aren't line infantry and kossars aren't either. But armored kossars ARE hybrids, in that they are adequate ranged units and adequate melee units, and are mediocre in both roles. But they won't really shine. What I do like is that greatmace kossars don't have good ranged AP on their ranged but do on their melee, so whether you want to charge into melee depends on what you're fighting. I think their role as hybrids comes into view more once you get tzar guard and can pair them with line infantry as either supporting melee or supporting ranged units. I also think they need fire-while-move, maybe as a research, to keep them viable later on. Meanwhile Ice Guard are elite line infantry that also are elite archers. They're interesting in that their slow effect incentivizes you to not focus fire, though, so as to spread that slow around.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 12, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
magic weapons are not necessarily AP. they just bypass physical resistance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah, it goes regular attack <Armor < Armor piercing <Physical/missile resist<Magical damage.

"Ghost" type units have low base hp but very high physical resist. They hard counter armor piercing units, which typically have lower base damage. But magical damage in turn hard counters them. It rips right through their physical resist and does its full damage to their smaller health pool.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
units that rely on phys resist do not have a good time in the wh3 map, daemonic units have magical attacks out the wazzo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Me: Okay, I'm over the lost campaign now, I'll give Warhammer 3 another shot

Oh. So now the game crashes trying to open the Load Campaign menu.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

units that rely on phys resist do not have a good time in the wh3 map, daemonic units have magical attacks out the wazzo

Yeah, watching a unit of basic bloodletters absolutely dumpster Cairn Wraiths... yep. Sad. Witch Elves are going to be in for a world of hurt, too.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

KazigluBey posted:

(milkandcookiesTW)

Chart is kinda disingenuous considering the elephant Eldenphant in the room. My friends and I would absolutely be playing Warhams 3 right now if we weren't otherwise occupied.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Same with me and all my friends.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Golgfag Maneater(didn't he get a name update? Doesn't come up on a casual googling) is the most famous Ogre mercenary of the modern era, so infamous that Maneater is the commonly known term. Real easy excuse to put an Ogre LL literally anywhere on the map and spin up a bunch of flavored mechanics for being opportunistic, traveling, using Maneaters/shooters in your army, etc.

Faction's gimmick being gathering Maneater boosts by fighting against and with specific races would be neat. Some kind of army stance to be given opportunity to meddle in every battle within certain radius for gold and relationship benefits as added fun factor too.

(Yeah, I really like "gather all the things" campaign gameplay)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Chart is kinda disingenuous considering the elephant Eldenphant in the room. My friends and I would absolutely be playing Warhams 3 right now if we weren't otherwise occupied.

The be fair, MilkandcookiesTW makes that exact point in his video to argue that Warhammer 3 actually isn't trash and the sky isn't falling.

Personally having a nice big Elden-excuse to wait for mod support (Katarin must have her sled! :black101:) and bug fixing/rebalacing has been nice. I'm not as down on the campaign as some people so I don't need to wait for IE but honestly hearing all the praise of 3Kingdoms is making me kind of want to go back and go through some of the dlc I missed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm on like turn 240 in this Khorne campaign and the entire world is just Kislev, Khorne, Cathay and a small isolated kingdom of Tzeentch

It's some sort of hellwar because I feel like I'm deleting an army and a settlement every round but they're just sending more poo poo my way. Half the world is perpetually razed and then repopulated and then razed again. I think this might be Khornes idea of heaven

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I'm on like turn 240 in this Khorne campaign and the entire world is just Kislev, Khorne, Cathay and a small isolated kingdom of Tzeentch

It's some sort of hellwar because I feel like I'm deleting an army and a settlement every round but they're just sending more poo poo my way. Half the world is perpetually razed and then repopulated and then razed again. I think this might be Khornes idea of heaven

Sustainable skull and blood collecting!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ojetor posted:

This is true and he brings it up, but the obvious response is also "if this had been the launch III should have had, the drop off wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad".

Like, lets be real, blaming Elden Ring here is a lil like EA blaming Halo Infinite for Battlefield 2042's woes. It was a factor, but it's copium to suggest it was the main factor.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So there's a campaign movement bug currently that allows you near infinite movement, with some caveats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BzkDmHeLj4

If you can't watch the video; if you have an army with no hero characters in it, recruiting a unit and then cancelling that unit's recruitment rewards a tiny bit of movement to said army. With this you technically have infinite movement within your own territory. Ogres have a slight edge because they can put down Camps which lets you recruit outside of your territory.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 12, 2022

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah I straight up dumped my campaign in the big pause box cause of Elden Ring, I'll be getting back into it now I've beaten and uninstalled the soulscrack out of my system.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ojetor posted:

Yeah I switched over to Elden Ring as well and I'm still playing it (it is just so freaking massive).

Thing is, I am pretty confident that this game will be fine. Warhammer 2 was released in a similar state from a gameplay standpoint (can't really say about the CTDs and such since I have never had a problem with it). In fact, I'd say most of the WH3 factions are more interesting and have better mechanics than any of the release WH2 factions already. The soul race is unfortunate and I'm not a fan of it either, but if they add some sort of 'you can ignore this if you want' mission like the Vortex camaign had I think it'll be ok until immortal empires comes out. I feel like the maintenance and DLC teams seem to have a better idea of what the fanbase likes and wants than the 'main game' team, but that's just guessing since I have no clue how CA is structured.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is the Immortal Empires map out yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, but only cool people have access to it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So messing about with Katarin again, I'm becoming a very large proponent of being very proactive with her threats. I think the biggest challenges she faces is the inevitable Skrag wave and the Daemon Prince loving about with Bowelsteep. Rather than let that happen, I took the first portal down to Skrag's territory to stomp him the gently caress out immediately. with no real threat from the south (Vampires are a 50/50 of actually becoming a threat) you can feel safe and profitable with your southern trade.

The other benefit is this is Skrag before Gougers or other poo poo start getting in his armies. Being able to wipe out his Ogre Bull stacks in the first 40 turns basically leaves you with one less threat to deal with in the future. I think the Daemon Prince is one you also want to stomp out very early on before he devotes himself to nurgle and removing him becomes a soul crushing experience. This is also two-fold. Stomping out Skrag gives you some territory unlikely to be attacked with plenty of homeland security while stomping the Daemon Prince gives you an FoB for handling the rest of the frozen wastes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

No. Before WH3's release I was predicting 3 months and that certainly hasn't gotten better after release.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Did they release paid dlc content before immortal empires last time?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I’m sure all you smart people already know this but you can exchange units (except heroes) between ogre camp garrisons and your stacks.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I’m having fun with this game; I’ve finished all the campaigns except burgle (although I have skipped the final battle since the first time I finished it), and I’m still having fun!

I haven’t had any stability or performance issues at all. I imagine I’ll put 1000 hours into this over the years, just like I did with WH2. Can’t wait for immortal empires.

Also I just want to say that I slept on this franchise for years because I don’t like strictly historical stuff and I thought the tactical battles were too much like an RTS. I didn’t even play Warhammer 1 and didn’t play 2 until a while after its release.

Well worth the time spent and money spent (haha, got it for “free” on game pass).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think CA aren't sweating those numbers yet. Immortal Empires might very well turn this around substantially. The game itself also sold well, so the next real measure of success will be DLC sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Twigand Berries posted:

I’m sure all you smart people already know this but you can exchange units (except heroes) between ogre camp garrisons and your stacks.

also you can recruit directly to the camp with the sitting camp lord. also you can keep a level 1 camp to demolish and replace for dropping off your expensive army