Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Arrakis might be big enough

For both of us

*tries whistling through parched lips*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
i thought i got this from here but i just checked last couple pages and didn't see it. but either way, you might appreciate it as much as me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHK5fBm1YWk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jessica going 'Use the Voice' literally over breakfast like she's teaching a little Paul to say 'please' is kind of a hilarious bit. And it demonstrates how she treats it and wants Paul to treat it- to be able and willing to use it casually, because it very much can mean the difference between life and death. Bene Gesserit don't do fair fights.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Considering the way the story unfolds, there is no such thing as a fair fight. If you believe there is, you've already lost

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jessica going 'Use the Voice' literally over breakfast like she's teaching a little Paul to say 'please' is kind of a hilarious bit. And it demonstrates how she treats it and wants Paul to treat it- to be able and willing to use it casually, because it very much can mean the difference between life and death. Bene Gesserit don't do fair fights.

Speaking of that breakfast scene when Paul actually used the voice, the way they did the voice made me actually jump in my seat a bit in the theatre. Was way more unsettling and off-putting than Lynch's treatment.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

DarkSol posted:

Speaking of that breakfast scene when Paul actually used the voice, the way they did the voice made me actually jump in my seat a bit in the theatre. Was way more unsettling and off-putting than Lynch's treatment.

I recommended that a friend should watch the IMAX version for this very reason. Sure, huge screen, pretty visuals. But the sound design in this film, the Voice in particular, is really something special.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The ornithopter scene is especially good for the Voice. People call the Bene Gesserit witches, but Jessica was positively demonic there.

I don't especially like the idea of portraying the Voice as some dramatic scifi sound effect. It's meant to be subtle and insidious. But it worked so well in this film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jessica's always been my favourite character in the series probably because she's basically Cool Mom Space Witch. She feels like one of the most human characters in the series, probably helps that her own relationships with others and her own agency are majorly important themes that set everything in motion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The ornithopter scene is especially good for the Voice. People call the Bene Gesserit witches, but Jessica was positively demonic there.

I don't especially like the idea of portraying the Voice as some dramatic scifi sound effect. It's meant to be subtle and insidious. But it worked so well in this film.

I really liked how they showed Paul's point of view when having the Voice used on him by Mohiam. No magic trick, no fancyful illusions, no grand struggle of wills. You're told to do something and you just do it, reflexively, automatically, nearly without even realising that you're doing it. And even fully knowing what is happening, you can't do a drat thing about it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I do like a specific aspect of how Lynch envisioned the Voice. In his treatment, it sounds like it infects the intended recipient, rolling around in their head, which overrides their free will and is a forced compulsion for them "act" upon. But Villeneuve's vision of how people react to the Voice is more forceful, like Perestroika points out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm with you that the Voice is thematically better framed as a super subtle thing : I think it'd actually be perfect if it was imperceptible as different except that it hijacks control of you, that'd be be so loving cool. But I don't think that plays in a movie at all. Works great in a book, but in a movie you need some kind of overt signal that something's happening*, so you're basically stuck having some kind of auditory or visual signifier. And then we're basically just talking about art design for the obvious thing (keeping in mind that somehow this story is too subtle for idiots as is).

*Well, okay, you could do a whole thing about interpreting the ambiguity of if the the Voice is being used here or there and what is being commanded and what is people's own agency, but you'd have to do so much rewriting to make that work because that also wouldn't play with the script as written.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The build up of the voice is so good in the new movie. I almost wanted to look away when Jessica used it on the ornithopter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

K I L L ' I M

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

The build up of the voice is so good in the new movie. I almost wanted to look away when Jessica used it on the ornithopter.

yeah but it's not faithful to the book's description of how the voice sounds so it sucks. 0/10 film

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

btw lol at people who actually thought that, because the voice actually is faithful to the spirit of the book's description as it relates to genetic memory of the maternal lineage

if dunc haters had their way the voice would have a bunch of random modulations that take away all dramatic effect. it would sound like pewdiepie gargling a rabbit's rear end

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The gently caress are you on about?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This explains a lot about how DUNE looks so good

https://twitter.com/thebatfilm/status/1500460825936818178

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-part-two-sequel-florence-pugh-princess-irulan?amp=1

:hmmyes:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember we were batting around ideas for the Emperor earlier, for some reason Pugh reminds me a little bit of Crispin Glover, I could see him pulling that off.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The movies have casting that ranges from perfect (Rebecca Furguson) to 'okay I guess but not who I pictured' (Zendaya) but Pugh would be fantastic as Irulan.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Good choice, imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:bisonyes:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Announce Shaddam you cowards.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack black is my pick, just try and tell yourself he wouldn't be incredible

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My Emperor is Jeff Goldblum.:colbert:

sebmojo posted:

Jack black is my pick, just try and tell yourself he wouldn't be incredible

tried to report this but the button disappeared mods???

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they'll probably go with someone boring but adequate. like Ben Kingsley

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Charles Dance, probably.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
irulan freaking out midsommar-style ftw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd be ok with Herzog as the Emperor, but my head canon is that he's the black guy who plays the Imperial Herald on Caladan (Benjamin clementine). I like the idea of the Emperor being unrecognizable and getting up to hijinks on his own behalf

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd be ok with Herzog as the Emperor, but my head canon is that he's the black guy who plays the Imperial Herald on Caladan (Benjamin clementine). I like the idea of the Emperor being unrecognizable and getting up to hijinks on his own behalf

I think a lot of people were floating the idea that Shaddam and everyone else in Corrino were going to be black based on that guy. Would have been cool, but I guess Pugh kills that theory.

Irulan is such a nothing role in the actual action of the book even though she has a cool presence in the chapter intro quotes, so this announcement is kind of uninteresting. Can't wait to see her conspire with Edric and Scytale in Messiah, I guess, but also stand around doing nothing in the final scene of 2UNE.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My Emperor is Jeff Goldblum.:colbert:

tried to report this but the button disappeared mods???

he who controls the spice

controls the universe, dude

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Buttchocks posted:

The industry has always churned out plenty movies like that. The vast majority of them are justifiably forgotten, but people went to theaters to watch them for amusement. There's a poo poo-ton of classical music that's forgettable garbage too, and most of it is never played anymore. We only remember the Mozarts and Beethovans.
Exploitation film has been around forever, but those films are typically shot quickly on low budgets. What's different about lowbrow blockbusters is that they have enormous budgets and are obsessively managed by the people fronting the money--which plays into every aspect of production. Roger Corman productions left more room for artistic expression than an army of marketing professionals having input on every trivial aspect of the movie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"What's the DEAL with Arrakis, huh?"

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

"What's the DEAL with Arrakis, huh?"

The Atreides walk like THIS, but the Harkonnens want like this!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Who's on Arrakis?"
"That's right."
"'That's right' is on Arrakis?"
"No, Who's on Arrakis."
"That's what I'm asking!"

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 12, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fremen? It drat near killed 'en!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Who would make a good Shaddam IV really depends on if the movie focuses more on the “Final Boss” or “Guy who ignores and fatally misunderstands his collapsing regime” aspect of the character. You’d probably go with the latter if you want to focus more on the Baron and Feyd as the “true” villains. Which I think they’ll probably go with considering the very, let’s call it non-Lynchian, portrayal DUNC had of the Harkonnens.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not sure there was enough plans within plans and scheming being portrayed in Dune I, that'd allow the emperor to be portrayed as the final boss who's plans within plans are better than those of anyone elses, and whose only real failing was not foreseeing a demonstrably godlike character, whose existence was only known to a very select number of individuals and who had kept it hidden for hundreds of generations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This doesn't really need to be said, it's not news to anyone, but Grimes is profoundly stupid in exactly the same way as all 15 year olds. She's got this arrested maturity thing where she never stopped thinking she's the smartest person in the world.