Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with USA? Homeless people filling the bicycle paths? I guess because if they filled the streets some giant rear end SUV's would just drive over them.

What a hosed up country.

doesn't affect the rich so it's not actually a problem :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

e.pilot posted:

I can set up the jakroo store, it was entirely too much work shipping out 45 kits from aliexpress last time lol
Seeing as i both ordered a pretty tight fit that first time around and fattened up since then as well I'd totally be down for another round of trashkit orders.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Strava banned Russia from using the platform.

Shame that they will be cycling in the void just because they invaded another country for no reason and are doing lots of war crimes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Strava banned Russia from using the platform.

Shame that they will be cycling in the void just because they invaded another country for no reason and are doing lots of war crimes

that's really, really loving dumb from a SUPPORT UKRAINE!!! perspective given how many dipshits have compromised opsec by logging their runs around the perimeter of a secret military base

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We were talking about bright and shiny clothes and shoes and stuff in here right?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Clark Nova posted:

that's really, really loving dumb from a SUPPORT UKRAINE!!! perspective given how many dipshits have compromised opsec by logging their runs around the perimeter of a secret military base

Honestly I don't blame Strava at all for those. What the gently caress are people at a secret military base done recording their runs with a gps watch anyways??

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Honestly I don't blame Strava at all for those. What the gently caress are people at a secret military base done recording their runs with a gps watch anyways??

Being stupid. Someone broke the story that the US has bases in Chad (I think? It was some African country with no official US presence at the time) by looking up segments on strava

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

doesn't affect the rich so it's not actually a problem :patriot:

Won't somebody think of the dentists

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

jamal posted:

We were talking about bright and shiny clothes and shoes and stuff in here right?

:captainpop:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Clark Nova posted:

Being stupid. Someone broke the story that the US has bases in Chad (I think? It was some African country with no official US presence at the time) by looking up segments on strava

The "top secret bases" still show up on heatmaps like a sore thumb. But it looks like the segment no longer show in the segment explore portion of Strava. That is at least an improvement, because once you had a segment, you could see who was using said segment. Name, rank, age, pictures. So much information just given away freely. It was loving amazing.

The problem was that security responsibility was passed down to the end user. People had all of this tracking equipment, and were just told "Don't use it, or put it on private." Yeah, linke you can depend on every single person to do that. If you want security, the CO's should have taken any bit of GPS, wifi, cell equipment before they even show up in country, and there should be consequences for being caught with any type of tracking tech. And then someone should have searched the CO's too, because Strava can be so addictive.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Crumps Brother posted:

Seeing as i both ordered a pretty tight fit that first time around and fattened up since then as well I'd totally be down for another round of trashkit orders.

Selecting a brand that goes up above a 40” chest (for XXXXXXXXL) and works for the tall would be good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
recommend me a bottom bearing press tool

I want to remove this Wheels MFG bottom bracket and i already have a Park BBT-9 which fits the notched bb cup. after i loosen it i'll need something to press or hammer it out and then a press to put in this BBinfinite bottom bracket .

ideally id like a tool kit than can do all of this plus bearing removal and installation too.

would this fit the bill? https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket-press-essential-kit.html

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My riveted FD mount is loosening up again. :negative:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How good are you at drilling?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

BraveUlysses posted:

recommend me a bottom bearing press tool

I want to remove this Wheels MFG bottom bracket and i already have a Park BBT-9 which fits the notched bb cup. after i loosen it i'll need something to press or hammer it out and then a press to put in this BBinfinite bottom bracket .

ideally id like a tool kit than can do all of this plus bearing removal and installation too.

would this fit the bill? https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket-press-essential-kit.html

I've had good success pressing in bearings with a length of all-thread, stack(s) of washers, and a couple of nuts. ~$5.00 total at home depot?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

How good are you at drilling?

That’s the plan, except not me drilling

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I'll be going to Sardinia for two weeks in April, still debating whether to get a bike box and take my own bike or to just get a rental there. 🤔 Anyone here ever been and has tips to share?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tylertfb posted:

I've had good success pressing in bearings with a length of all-thread, stack(s) of washers, and a couple of nuts. ~$5.00 total at home depot?

i'm not necessarily opposed to this but i need something that can press out a full bottom bracket assembly which is not really doable with a DIY option. i need a cup that is larger than the BB assembly that is coming out of the frame.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My riveted FD mount is loosening up again. :negative:

1x time.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Steel frame time

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Clamp adapter time???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It’s probably in some super shaped, laterally stiff part of the seat tube.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SimonSays posted:

Steel frame time

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm not necessarily opposed to this but i need something that can press out a full bottom bracket assembly which is not really doable with a DIY option. i need a cup that is larger than the BB assembly that is coming out of the frame.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but reminder that ali has some cheap tools that are fine for something you might not use often. Would this work?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33012...7117b241&gclid=

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BraveUlysses posted:

Unthreading the two piece BB will press out the drive side under its own motion, when it's halfway unthreaded use a hammer and wood block to tap out the other side from the drive side. If you're talking about pressing out the new one piece assembly I'd cross that bridge when I come to it, likely years down the line, although it looks like BBinfinite have their own suggested tools for that (and a rental scheme!)

e: looking at the video I though it was something special but it really isn't, you can do the regular 'threaded rod + hit it with a hammer' technique no problem, you just need to make sure you get the right washer diameter combo on your stacks to sit inside/outside the BB

e2: the trickiest task with the rod + washer press I can see would be pressing in the BBinfinite, as you need a standoff on the drive side to allow the whole assembly to pass through and out, but a hard plastic bushing of the right diameter and length would work, or cut a hole in a block of wood (or buy the BBinfinite standoff tool for $9: https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/installation-tool-set-for-all-bbinfinite-modules).

Vando fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It’s probably in some super shaped, laterally stiff part of the seat tube.

Yeah it’s a non-round carbon seat tube. No clamp here.

If new rivets and epoxy won’t fix it, this is probably what’s going to happen. I use it for racing mostly and it’s usually flat as hell or super hilly so it wouldn’t be the end of the world to swap parts but not ideal.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Havana Affair posted:

I have an Ergon saddle that's kinda like that. Mine's the cheapest road model but they have wide selection. I use it bibless for commutes and have liked it. Though I read somewhere that some German back pain institute officially approved them and I'm a sucker for all that.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Seconding Ergon for this. I think what I’ve got on my commuter is labeled as a mtb saddle, but it’s shaped just like my road saddle but with more padding. I ride it almost exclusively without bibs and I’ve never had nether region discomfort from it.

Thanks for the recommendation (also the other recs from goons). I got the Ergon since it was available next day. Seems to agree with me a lot so far, not too squidgy when wearing bibs and also comfy without.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wifi Toilet posted:

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but reminder that ali has some cheap tools that are fine for something you might not use often. Would this work?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33012...7117b241&gclid=

yeah that might fit the bill...

Vando posted:

Unthreading the two piece BB will press out the drive side under its own motion, when it's halfway unthreaded use a hammer and wood block to tap out the other side from the drive side. If you're talking about pressing out the new one piece assembly I'd cross that bridge when I come to it, likely years down the line, although it looks like BBinfinite have their own suggested tools for that (and a rental scheme!)

e: looking at the video I though it was something special but it really isn't, you can do the regular 'threaded rod + hit it with a hammer' technique no problem, you just need to make sure you get the right washer diameter combo on your stacks to sit inside/outside the BB

e2: the trickiest task with the rod + washer press I can see would be pressing in the BBinfinite, as you need a standoff on the drive side to allow the whole assembly to pass through and out, but a hard plastic bushing of the right diameter and length would work, or cut a hole in a block of wood (or buy the BBinfinite standoff tool for $9: https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/installation-tool-set-for-all-bbinfinite-modules).

they include the tools with every new bb assembly so i have those and will use em. i guess i hadnt considered the idea of using a piece of wood to push out the old one but that could work too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*thinks about taking her studded tires off*

*sees snow in the forecast*

gently caress no gravel yet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Clark Nova posted:

Ditto on a Chinese man-made island. Troops using Strava.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm curious about opinions on bike frame sizes. I'm about to buy a Scott Sub Cross bike, I'm 175cm and the calculators, including Scott's own show that M size is the best fit for me with L being quite close by.

I just tried both sizes and M felt just like my current bike while L felt way more relaxed position wise. How do I tell when a frame is too big for me? Should I be concerned about picking L for any reason when calculators said M is the size for me? It's not very exact science is it?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Sininu posted:

I'm curious about opinions on bike frame sizes. I'm about to buy a Scott Sub Cross bike, I'm 175cm and the calculators, including Scott's own show that M size is the best fit for me with L being quite close by.

I just tried both sizes and M felt just like my current bike while L felt way more relaxed position wise. How do I tell when a frame is too big for me? Should I be concerned about picking L for any reason when calculators said M is the size for me? It's not very exact science is it?

If you tried both sizes, just get whichever felt best.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
NBD for my kid, whose drat kid's bike was more expensive than my used roadbike. But if it gets me a riding buddy in a few years, it'll be worth it.

I was shocked the LBS had this much stock of most everything other than what I was interested in (full suspension mountain bike or a gravel bike).

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Got my Garmin Varia and I have to say I love it. It's really good at detecting BMW drivers.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

NBD for my kid, whose drat kid's bike was more expensive than my used roadbike. But if it gets me a riding buddy in a few years, it'll be worth it.

Seriously, there has to be the biggest of markups on decent quality kids' bikes. I've managed to build a small fleet of various sizes through Nextdoor but beyond a $350 used Woom 3 the decent 16" wheel size bikes are few and far between.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

SoylentCola posted:

Got my Garmin Varia and I have to say I love it. It's really good at detecting BMW drivers.

I'm gonna put one of those on the order book. Hoping there's a special chirp for Audis so I'm ample prepared to dodge and give em the finger.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jonny Quest posted:

Seriously, there has to be the biggest of markups on decent quality kids' bikes. I've managed to build a small fleet of various sizes through Nextdoor but beyond a $350 used Woom 3 the decent 16" wheel size bikes are few and far between.

Yea, I get demand is less, but $500 is crazy for a 24" bike and it's the last stop on the line before an adult bike.

Oh well, it can be passed down to my daughter and then my nephew many years later, at least.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sometimes a bike shop will have a carbon fiber TT bike for kids with 24" wheels and I think they look so cool.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea, I get demand is less, but $500 is crazy for a 24" bike and it's the last stop on the line before an adult bike.

Oh well, it can be passed down to my daughter and then my nephew many years later, at least.

It's got all the same parts and safety requirements as a full-size bike though. Why would it not be about the same price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb