Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arist posted:

When did I say that
Well I was contending that a co-op summon is about as close to an auto-win as you can get (premature host death notwithstanding) and you were saying that Mimic Tear is even stronger and easier, so by the transitive property. By the metric of "if I summon [person/Mimic Tear] will I win the fight" I don't agree that Mimic Tear has the obvious clear-cut advantage.

However, if you're already using a broken OP build and you summon a Mimic Tear to tank you while you spam the broken thing and burn the boss down super fast, I guess I can agree that's broken, but I wouldn't blame that on the Mimic Tear specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Volte posted:

Well I was contending that a co-op summon is about as close to an auto-win as you can get (premature host death notwithstanding) and you were saying that Mimic Tear is even stronger and easier, so by the transitive property. By the metric of "if I summon [person/Mimic Tear] will I win the fight" I don't agree that Mimic Tear has the obvious clear-cut advantage.

However, if you're already using a broken OP build and you summon a Mimic Tear to tank you while you spam the broken thing and burn the boss down super fast, I guess I can agree that's broken, but I wouldn't blame that on the Mimic Tear specifically.

Co-op summons die all the time dude, they're by no means "auto-win," and if they die the fight is actively more difficult for the host. That's what I was getting at.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are probably situations where other summons are better than mimic tear.

Mimic tear requires no MP to cast, however, and since it 1to1 copies your setup and has infinite MP for weapon arts and has a healing flask while seemingly being immune to certain status effects makes it so across the board good that it can be hard to recommend others

Edit: nothing sucks more than co-oping (or even double co-oping a boss) for the co-op summons to die and leave you with a boss you already had a hard time with but now with double or triple the health. Mimic never leaves you in the lurch

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arist posted:

Co-op summons die all the time dude.
Sure, so does the Mimic Tear. That's my point. If your Mimic Tear is never dying, maybe it's because your build is broken in other ways and you're able to burn down the boss simply because there's something else to take the aggro.

And regardless of the boss's HP, your summon dying and leaving you alone with the boss is essentially a failure of the summon. Of course it's possible that you will be able to win on your own after your Mimic Tear dies, but if you could reliably solo the boss, you wouldn't need to summon, so I'm considering "I'm left alone with the boss permanently aggroed on me" as the failure state of the summon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Volte posted:

Sure, so does the Mimic Tear. That's my point. If your Mimic Tear is never dying, maybe it's because your build is broken in other ways and you're able to burn down the boss simply because there's something else to take the aggro.

And regardless of the boss's HP, your summon dying and leaving you alone with the boss is essentially a failure of the summon. Of course it's possible that you will be able to win on your own after your Mimic Tear dies, but if you could reliably solo the boss, you wouldn't need to summon, so I'm considering "I'm left alone with the boss permanently aggroed on me" as the failure state of the summon.

The boss has far less health if and when the summon dies (you know, from all the damage the summon did), so I'm far more likely to win the fight, though????? This metric makes no sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I dunno, my Mimic Tear just does not die as quickly as people are saying.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vermain posted:

my big gripe with shields atm is that the brass shield is the best medium shield, hands down, no contest, and it looks like loving rear end when paired with, like, 80% of the game's armor sets

would it have killed them to do some recolors, god drat

Lol Im a Fingerprint Greatshield user. I def feel you!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure the mimic tear also has bullshit infinite stamina in addition to MP. So if you give him a shield it makes a big difference in my experience, he can block all day

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I upgraded my Mimic Tear and it literally takes like 10% of the damage that I do and can hyperarmor through attacks that I cannot

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Vermain posted:

my big gripe with shields atm is that the brass shield is the best medium shield, hands down, no contest, and it looks like loving rear end when paired with, like, 80% of the game's armor sets

would it have killed them to do some recolors, god drat

I barely used shields in my playthrough and I just checked the stats on that one. Why does it have like 10 more stability than every other medium shield???

I don't get why the Buckler is the only shield to get the good version of the parry this time around. It makes every other small shield seem utterly worthless unless I'm missing something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm pretty sure the mimic tear also has bullshit infinite stamina in addition to MP. So if you give him a shield it makes a big difference in my experience, he can block all day

it's also immune to status effects, i believe

once you get it to +10 it really is better than co-op summons in every way

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i self capped at level 90 and here's how i beat melania:

1: reroll to 60vig 40end and whatever else into dex/str/mind (need at least 13 dex i think for the uchi)
2: cold uchi +24/25 with hoarfrost stomp
3: full bull-goat armor
4: dragon greatshield talisman, erdtree's favor +1, carian filigreed crest, great jar's arsenal (may not be necessary)
5: morgott's great rune
6: mimic tear +10

basically just summon the mimic tear and go ham

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
If you put one (1) Exalted Flesh on your hotbar and summon a mimic, he'll use it to maintain 100% uptime. Hooray for a permanent 20% damage boost without actually consuming anything. lil' busted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a +10 mimic tear will survive the endgame dragons doing a jaunty two-step on its head for so long that the dragon's likely to get winded before the mimic gets dead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as for my own progress, i'm pushing into all the endgame Nasty Places such as sewers, blood swamp, tree root hell, snowy hell, et ainsi de suite and while i'm more or less doing alright i seriously don't know how you're supposed to muddle through without busted skills like hoarfrost stomp or moonveil. everything hits like a truck, they don't flinch, they bunny-hop back ten feet if you hit them more than twice, and there's usually three more of them than you'd like there to be in each room

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Page 666

Hail kaathe

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I barely used shields in my playthrough and I just checked the stats on that one. Why does it have like 10 more stability than every other medium shield???
tbf it doesn't matter than much when barricade exists and gives +35 stability basically for free. you can, for instance, reach 100 stability with carian shield which looks way better

on that note I think the very heavy greatshields aren't super worth it when you only need to hit 65 stability for max stam reduction with barricade, making something like the manor greatshield a lot more practical than something like visage shield, bizzare fashion aside

e: also if you're not playing a build that uses strength you'll need to sink otherwise dead points into str to use brass shield in the first place. an int build probably wants to use carian instead, looks aside-if you started as astrologer for instance, you'd need to sink 8 points into str to use brass shield, as opposed to just 2 for carian

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 12, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ha, I beat it. Ghost Waifu ending 10/10 would play another 100 hours

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also I literally had the lovely heater shield from nearly the beginning of the game to the end, what is this barricade shield you speak of

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is the appearance of the sorcerer leggings an adventure time reference? you never see them on the enemies really, but the item you get looks exactly like Ice King's 'underwear'

the wizards even kind of look like ice king with their blue robes and massive heads

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DeathChicken posted:

Also I literally had the lovely heater shield from nearly the beginning of the game to the end, what is this barricade shield you speak of
it's a skill you can put on shields and is super super good. gotten from the evergaol in limgrave iirc

also, great turtle shield comes with it naturally, as well as passive stamina regen boost.
confusingly it's not a greatshield, and is also a solid contender for best medium shield in the game due to the above things.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Arist posted:

Co-op summons die all the time dude, they're by no means "auto-win," and if they die the fight is actively more difficult for the host. That's what I was getting at.

tbh this is why under no circumstances will I summon a co-op phantom to help on a tough boss. either they melt the boss or the increased HP makes it actively harder to win. there are plenty of co-op players who are not especially useful in a fight. i tend to think of boss fights as "can I learn their patterns and take them down before I get insta-gibbed or run out of flasks" though. from that perspective, a co-op summon neither helps me learn the boss nor does it help skew the war of attrition in my favor.

imo the real secret is to put your summon sign down before a fog gate, so you can learn the fight first and maybe get an extra Rune Arc, and then solo the boss or use your mimic tear or whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Alright I beat Rennala as a sorcerer, if anyone is curious here's how I did it. Kind of a combination of tricks I heard on here

First phase: Keep moving, obviously. The less you get hit here the better. Try to seek out the golden aura sweetings (or whatever they're called) by seeing where the books are coming from, one hit is all you need I didn't even bother killing them (I put a rapier in right hand and staff in left). If you can't find them just run around the outside of the arena where you are relatively safe until you can. When she falls, I mainly used strong rapier attacks but also a few rock flings. That's the only spell I used the whole time, contrary to the way I normally play. The rest of them are basically useless on her.

RIGHT before her health bar is drained, make a summon. Even if you have to go one more round with the golden auras, it seemed to be worth it. I did skeletal spearmen (I don't have that many ashes, really the only useful ones I have are them and the jellyfish). Skeletal spearmen can be really good because they resurrect at full health as long as they aren't hit, and I think one of mine lasted the entire second phase.

Second phase: Stay the right distance away from her. Really the only big dangers are are the comet azur she launches and the small seeking spells. If you consistently move to one side or the other, and dodge at the right time, she won't hit you. After she launches the comet there is time to do a rock fling, especially if you still have a summon to distract her. Rock fling takes a huge chunk of health bar off, especially if all three hit.

She's invulnerable in the moon state so just wait a beat until she comes out to launch.

And yeah, not that bad in the end. I think it was three or four tries for me.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I think the (endgame area spoilers) Haligtree and Brace are my favorite areas in the game. I used a greatbow for most of my run so getting through the canopy wasn't too bad, and then the actual descension from the roof of the world to the bottom was some insane level design.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Game is good, basically GOAT. Just beat NG++ (It's much easier after #1 if you did a lot the first time). First round through took 124 hrs but I did basically everything I found and explored all areas, thanks unemployment.

Mimics Tear is quite rad but depending on the boss Tiche is straight up a better summon. If Mimic is doing OP nonsense then chances are you are too and would win anyway. Scaling and balance are quite weird in this one. The way boss scaling works and how easy it is to burst down bosses post-transformation I would argue that some bosses (that have high poise) are easier with a human summon and some who are easily stunlocked (like rot-bae) are better with mimic.

I love this game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

as for my own progress, i'm pushing into all the endgame Nasty Places such as sewers, blood swamp, tree root hell, snowy hell, et ainsi de suite and while i'm more or less doing alright i seriously don't know how you're supposed to muddle through without busted skills like hoarfrost stomp or moonveil. everything hits like a truck, they don't flinch, they bunny-hop back ten feet if you hit them more than twice, and there's usually three more of them than you'd like there to be in each room

I beat everything in the game without hoarfrost stomp or moonveil and while I'd say my weapon of choice (Godslayer Greatsword) has a pretty good WA, it's mostly good when you've already staggered an opponent because it's *slow as loving poo poo* so it wasn't used for moment to moment gameplay very much. And the answer, in absolute truth? Jumping R2s. Jumping R2s and guard counters, really. But mostly it's just that jumping R2s are crazy, hilariously, insanely good.

Also I really hope Hoarfrost Stomp gets nerfed because it's so boring. There's all these rad weapon arts that are still quite good but because they're not as absolutely busted as the stomp you never see them around. Moonveil at least requires a specific build, you can just stick the stomp onto anything. I bet most people don't even look twice at the WA that lets you roll around like a lightning goat, and that's just awful.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Oxxidation posted:

I've gotten to the first of your Nasty places using my Xtra large hammer and I'm doing pretty well its fun finding your own busted strategies and seeing how they differ from the popular meta. I used hoarfrost once and didn't care for it and I have no clue where the mimic tear is but my +8 giant bird seems good enough as a distractor

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo Leyndell Catacombs lol

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Finally remembered what getting invaded was like coming in late to ds1 and ds2. Some goober in full dung armor alternating between spamming the frost stomp and the art on the winged scythe with unbreakable poise who lagged through every one of my attacks and never actually connected with melee.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Stuck on Beast Clergyman and God drat his second phase is rough as a caster. My 25 vigor isn't holding up too well at this point. I feel like the timing of its attacks so so wierd. A bit of a build up and release? Throwing me off like crazy.
1000% better than Fire giant. feel like I'm actually learning the fight and getting better most runs. Except for the occasional wtf moments in first phase.
My mimic ash +10 doesn't last very long either. Kinda sucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tie Fighter Mode doesn’t seem very robust. You can’t attack or block with both shields, only block with your left hand shield and attack with right hand shield, or switch to two hand mode where you attack and block with one shield. Also, no critical strikes.

Could you block/ attack with both shields in Dark Souls?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yo, something I haven't really seen anyone mention yet: if you got Latenna's ash you can find a church in the consecrated snow field with a giant woman just chilling there, there's a prompt to summon her and she'll give you a +10 somber material.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lmao at the sheer disingenuous gish galloping on the last page to even suggest coop is anywhere near as good as an ash summon. Frankly I'm surprised anyone summons in this game. What on earth is the point when an ash summon is infinitely more reliable than the average player and doesn't buff the boss into the stratosphere? Coop in the late game is an absolute fool's errand.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Seems everyone is gushing over Mimic Tear, but is there other summons that are similarly viable? I’d love to hear more about other summons being helpful towards the endgame.

If I end up finding Mimic Tear on my adventure then I’ll eventually use it, but I don’t want to end up using it as a mandatory late-game crutch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirBukkake posted:

Seems everyone is gushing over Mimic Tear, but is there other summons that are similarly viable? I’d love to hear more about other summons being helpful towards the endgame.

If I end up finding Mimic Tear on my adventure then I’ll eventually use it, but I don’t want to end up using it as a mandatory late-game crutch.

Lhutel the Headless and Black Knife Tiche are both excellent.

But honestly, feel no guilt. The late game doesn't fight fair and neither should you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I spent a lot of time over the last two days trying various different weapons and unfortunately there aren't many standouts other than the ones everyone is familiar with (night & flame, moonveil, etc). But here are my top picks:

Nox Flowing Hammer - this is probably my favorite weapon in the entire game. It looks like a floppy unassuming mace and it functions just fine as one, but its real charm is its weapon skill - you make it all stretchy like Gumby then you whip it around in a huge sweep, followed by an overhead smash. The damage on this isn't as big as on some more popular skills like Hoarfrost Stomp but it's close. On the upside, the range is enormous, it's very fast, the first hit stuns long enough to guarantee a hit with the second, and it can often one-shot invaders.

Ringed Finger - A solid enough club-type weapon, the weapon art is a fairly quick big hit with huge knockdown/knockback potential

Dragon King's Cragblade - strong as a weapon and the weapon skill is a solid gap closer with huge range

Ruins Greatsword - bonus gravity explosion on charged R2 and a weapon skill with large range and high damage, but very slow windup.

Ashes of War:
There are a handful of 'good' ones but very few 'great' ones. Mostly the int ones are pretty good (carian grandeur, loretta's slash), Cragblade is a solid buff especially against enemies you can knock down. Rain of Arrows for bows is pretty fun/cool but not fantastic (better off using the Lion Greatbow). That's about it other than the ones everyone knows.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 12, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I admit up front I never liked soulsbourne combat or difficulty, but the "early" (first half?)game really clicked with the exploration and overworld combat and I sunk incredible number of hours into it. Unfortunately, all the bosses I'm running into now (admittedly mostly dungeons) are just me being trapped in a tiny room the size of the boss and getting one or two-shot. I actually really liked the valkyrie fights in God of War, as well as learning a lot of the early bosses and Evergoal fights, but game is now "turn on hoarfrost" to get through the bosses to keep playing. Overworld design and gameplay itself is enough to want a sequel, though, where they hopefully make the bosses less of a nightmare.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SirBukkake posted:

Oleg is pretty nuts.

Also man having tried some more PVP, Grafted Greatsword has some loving crazy phantom range, I feel like I could be fifty feet away and the thrust with it would still hit me.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Astel, Naturalborn of the Void is a pretty relaxed co-op experience. Even got to play with some moonveil guy who was chain invading, probably due to how easy it is to recover your runes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Greatshields kinda own in this lol, died only twice to (Leyndell boss) Morgott and then threw on the Tree Sentinel shield on my third attempt and completely clowned on him.