Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

there seems to be a lot more srpg releases though lately, which makes me happy as a fan of the genre. Like lot of stuff coming out this year that looks potentially cool.

the srpg new wave.

I respect the SRPG renaissance tm even if all its games simply constitute waiting rooms for devil survivor 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Natural 20 posted:

I think taking characters away based on your choices more so than they did would have sucked.

Anna is best girl but I also don't want to need to agree with her every time for fear she'll leave me and screw all my upgrades.

I don't agree only because it's trivially easy to raise a new character up from scratch and have them be as capable as anyone they replace. Anna is fine but she barely got used in my first playthrough since other characters had way more versatility.

I think I would have preferred to see a full commitment of varying paths where maybe you recruit like 10ish of the 30 or so characters that exist in the game, though that really would require multiple playthroughs if you're doing the fourth route since you have to use everyone there.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In reading responses to this thread, it looks like the story varies much more than I thought it did, even though the timing of the battles and choices are the same. That's pretty impressive.

All in all--with my playthrough currently in Chapter XIII, I really like this game. It is definitely second to Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I'm enjoying it more than FFTA and FFTA2.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips for the chapter IX battle? I don't know what route I'm on, so I'll just put the context in spoilers: Serenoa and company were on their way to deliver the bootleg salt to the Hyzante leader and expose the illegal operation when they got ambushed in that mountainous area with the archers on both sides.

I got decently close the first time I tried but lost and am having trouble figuring out a decisive strategy.

What worked for me was holing up the main squad on the starting plateau and setting the entry point on fire, doing huge damage to anyone caught in it and making anyone not there yet path all the way around the top to get to me. Meanwhile Hughette and Anna were disabling and mopping up the ranged units that start above you.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I like Triangle better than Tactics to sit and actually play in 2022. I probably like a theoretical Tactics remaster in this engine more, though.

I enjoyed 80 hours of Tactics Ogre and remember none of it. Like waking up from a good dream, all warm feelings but zero specifics.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Huxley posted:

I think I like Triangle better than Tactics to sit and actually play in 2022. I probably like a theoretical Tactics remaster in this engine more, though.

I enjoyed 80 hours of Tactics Ogre and remember none of it. Like waking up from a good dream, all warm feelings but zero specifics.

I think it's probably a better experience overall than FFT/TO at this point, even if it's not exactly trying to do the same thing. It's so incredibly polished and well put together and it does what it's trying to do so well. I prefer the mechanical side of those older games but they are a chore to play in comparison. I have some complaints about TS but overall the package is just so well put together.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I'm a big Tactics Ogre fan and think Triangle Strategy is just better, full stop. Mainly in the gameplay department. The voice acting is very uneven, which is probably due to covid complications and a director who wasn't up to the task. Making dialogue sound fluid when actors aren't doing it in the same room together is an extremely difficult thing to do and I am thinking that is probably what happened here.

As for lacking character customization, good. I think everyone forgets just how grindy TO and FFT are, and ultimately how homogenized character builds became in those games. I like characters that are very upfront about what they are. It instead puts the customization aspect on team building, and making compositions that synergize with each other. There are tons of ways to approach any given situation. Every character is viable and useful in some way, and that makes decision making way more dynamic and fluid than in TO and FFT. That they also did it in a way that does not require you to grind is just icing on that cake. It's just fun to experiment with, and the game actively encourages you to do so.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Novasol posted:

I'm a big Tactics Ogre fan and think Triangle Strategy is just better, full stop. Mainly in the gameplay department. The voice acting is very uneven, which is probably due to covid complications and a director who wasn't up to the task. Making dialogue sound fluid when actors aren't doing it in the same room together is an extremely difficult thing to do and I am thinking that is probably what happened here.

For the record, even pre-pandemic it's fairly rare for voice actors to be in the same room together when recording, especially in games.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I posted about this elsewhere a few days ago, but the TS voice cast is solid
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Triangle-Strategy/

Serenoa was freaking Sylvando from DQXI
Jerrom was Ferdinand in FE:TH
Lyla and Ezana are voiced by Cristina V

Serenoa's original 1st demo voice actor was supposedly recast in the full release and ended up being Frani

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Serenoa's va being sylvando makes a lot of sense lol, there are random times when his delivery gets surprisingly sassy.

My tip for the chapter 9 battle is to use the Quietus that gives your units extra movement at the start of the battle, and hoof it for better positioning. That Quietus is terrific.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Gyoru posted:

I posted about this elsewhere a few days ago, but the TS voice cast is solid
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Triangle-Strategy/

Serenoa was freaking Sylvando from DQXI
Jerrom was Ferdinand in FE:TH
Lyla and Ezana are voiced by Cristina V

Serenoa's original 1st demo voice actor was supposedly recast in the full release and ended up being Frani

Hughette's VA was Kai in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Bernadetta in FE3H... typecast as a sniper, I guess.
I thought I recognized Hossabara's VA from VC4 as well, and she was in it, just not as the character I thought she was.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just finished my first run.

Clear was:

Red/Benedict/God King Serenoa route. I accidentally introduced capitalism without safety nets to Norzelia....oops.

I'm still happy with the outcome. Leaving the Rozelle to die was unacceptable and so was peacing out on everyone when the world was hosed.

If FFXIV didn't exist this would be my favourite game in nearly two years. Every single choice felt like it had weight, the combat was impeccable and every single character had depth.

The game is *just* open enough that I was able to crack it open and feast on the gooey insides as I ended entire maps with global lightning.

That felt amazing as did every insane discovery or tactical innovation I came up with.

I think that the game could just not have XP and be better for it. Needing to leave party members behind because I wasn't going to grind their levels sucked and the overlevel throttling was brutal anyway.

There's more to think about but broadly if you like this turn based strategy games this is just about the best you're getting.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm still a little sad that they cut Serenoa's best line from the first demo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait how do I access my NG+ stat screen?

I want to see what my playthrough was actually like!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Wait how do I access my NG+ stat screen?

I want to see what my playthrough was actually like!

Start a new game + and go to War Chronicle.

Thinking of going for another ending or the Golden One.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Start a new game + and go to War Chronicle.

Thinking of going for another ending or the Golden One.

I definitely can't find that option on my war chronicle.

Turns out I missed the golden ending by a single choice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

I definitely can't find that option on my war chronicle.

Turns out I missed the golden ending by a single choice.

It should be the first option. You can look at the path you took last time around. Then once you get to chapter 4 you can look at the conviction stats and such.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I enjoy that every soldier in serenoas army immediately realizes who "maxwell" is and serenoa has to tell them to just go along with it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Second playthrough is where characters really seem to shine mechanically. So many of them don't come into their own until late 20's/early 30's. Archibald is a wet fart until he gets some of his later abilities - once he does he's probably the best pure archer around. I've committed to using an entirely different army (as much possible) on my second run and it's working out really well. I may not love character progression but there's so much synergy between different characters that you can put together a creative team for pretty much any scenario and that's pretty cool.

Lionell is my MVP right now. Charm is really, really strong because charmed enemies have access to their skills. A charmed mage can really be a bad day for the opposing team.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m not anywhere near there, but yeah, the individual character progression doesn’t bug me as much because of the sheer volume of unique characters to choose from and how they all work together and synergize to make unique strategies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So archibald loving sucks right? Like are his other skills insane or is this old guy really trying to pretend he can hang with hughette?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

So archibald loving sucks right? Like are his other skills insane or is this old guy really trying to pretend he can hang with hughette?

He's the definition of a late bloomer. He gets skills later on that make it so he basically can never miss, powerful arrow attacks that can hit nearly anywhere on the map and the ability to instantly kill any enemy he strikes that's >50% health. His weapon art hits everything 10 squares in front and ignores defense. I ignored him on my first playthrough because he's an immobile lump but on playthrough 2 in his 30's he fucks.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I'm highly likely going to pick up the game today now that I finished Elden Ring, and I had a pretty basic question on the game's story for people who have finished, a simple yes or no would be appreciated.

Does the game pretty much stick with political intrigue throughout the entire story for the most part, or does it pull a FFT/Tactics Ogre and eventually swerve into supernatural/magic antagonists towards the end of the story?

I have absolutely no problem with either approach if done well, but I was just curious on what to expect from this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MechaX posted:

So I'm highly likely going to pick up the game today now that I finished Elden Ring, and I had a pretty basic question on the game's story for people who have finished, a simple yes or no would be appreciated.

Does the game pretty much stick with political intrigue throughout the entire story for the most part, or does it pull a FFT/Tactics Ogre and eventually swerve into supernatural/magic antagonists towards the end of the story?

I have absolutely no problem with either approach if done well, but I was just curious on what to expect from this.

It’s 100% political intrigue.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I seem to have 11 little blue character story icons, and I had trouble getting through 3 without fast forwarding. Are any of them needed to unlock stuff? I thought they were short little introductions for new characters but uh, now it seems like it's just more side story stuff. I'm enjoying the game, but it's weird how I like the story but think the presentation is a bit of a slog.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

pnumoman posted:

I seem to have 11 little blue character story icons, and I had trouble getting through 3 without fast forwarding. Are any of them needed to unlock stuff? I thought they were short little introductions for new characters but uh, now it seems like it's just more side story stuff. I'm enjoying the game, but it's weird how I like the story but think the presentation is a bit of a slog.

The pacing of those can be a mess. You get a scene when you unlock a character, and as you use them you get more story scenes. If you grind quite a bit before they unlock you just have a ton to wade through.

According to my Sundry shop, I have one character to unlock (Utility 1600). I guess I didn't take any utility options first playthrough because i'm only around 1000. So that will be the last recruitable (other than story path branches). I am kind of amazed that every single one of those characters are useful in some way.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

If you've done all of an optional character's character stories and your endgame is against the nation they're connected to, they have unique in-battle dialogue that gives them closure to their B-plots... More depth and replay value for my dumb completionist rear end.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mustard Iceman posted:

If you've done all of an optional character's character stories and your endgame is against the nation they're connected to, they have unique in-battle dialogue that gives them closure to their B-plots... More depth and replay value for my dumb completionist rear end.

Oh huh, so if I had brought out Narve (i think he woulda been the only one I finished character stories of at that point to get lines for my ending) he woulda said stuff... Annoyed I missed that.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 12, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I haven’t been following as I have yet to buy the game but has anyone done an effort post on the available classes?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I haven’t been following as I have yet to buy the game but has anyone done an effort post on the available classes?

Every character has essentially their own class with its own strengths and weaknesses. The only real character customization is being able to buy minor stat upgrades or picking between 2 perks (like more damage with Wind spells, more damage with Electric spells) which you can switch between freely outside of battle.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What are some good choices for weapon upgrades? Like do mage weapons affect their spell power or does it just affect when they use the specific weapon?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

someone on the subreddit has started doing indepth character review threads

Hossabara
Narve
Julio
Piccoletta

i agree with most of the takes so far

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does this game have like a "story so far/previously on" thing you can look at? I tend to play these kinds of games over a long period of time but there's a chance I might end up being super busy in the next couple months and just not playing it for a bit, losing track of what's gone on.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thebardyspoon posted:

Does this game have like a "story so far/previously on" thing you can look at? I tend to play these kinds of games over a long period of time but there's a chance I might end up being super busy in the next couple months and just not playing it for a bit, losing track of what's gone on.

the route chart in game sorta works as this as it gives a short recap for each chapter, but it's not very extensive. but with that and the character descriptions you shouldn't get lost or anything I would think.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zore posted:

Every character has essentially their own class with its own strengths and weaknesses. The only real character customization is being able to buy minor stat upgrades or picking between 2 perks (like more damage with Wind spells, more damage with Electric spells) which you can switch between freely outside of battle.

I love it. I prefer unique classes with no customization.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
The unique classes work very well in this game. However I liked the level of blending in Octopath Traveler in that every character was a set class with a unique special but could then be blended with one more class. I don't think Triangle Strategy needs that, as it seems very balanced with where it is at, but it is fun to think about.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kingtheninja posted:

What are some good choices for weapon upgrades? Like do mage weapons affect their spell power or does it just affect when they use the specific weapon?

Mage weapons do not affect spell power, but top tier weapon upgrades give everyone the chance for a new skill.

This is particularly important for the mages because they get ultimate spells from this and these things have versatility.

Spoilers for Ezana's ultimate.

Ezana's ultimate is global lightning, so every single enemy on the map gets nailed by a lightning bolt and those bolts have a paralysis chance. I'm still unsure on quite how it works, but the global lightning has a relatively low hit chance, we're talking between 30 and 60% or so. I've not figured out what actually changes the hit chance. Weirdly, it's not accuracy. I think it might be elevation or level but I can't really be sure.

In any case, this costs 5 TP to cast and takes one turn to finish the channel and fire.

So I set up in such a way that:
Ezana - Vanguard Staff - Turn 1 - Rite of Rain to increase Lightning's Damage.
Julio - Turn 2 - Casts +2 TP on Ezana.
Quietus - Move Ezana's turn up to next.
Ezana - Turn 3 - Cast Global Lightning.
Benedict - Turn x - Cast "Now" on Ezana.
Ezana - Turn X+1 - Global Lightning.

This gets out a Global Lightning around turn 10 of round 1.

Then:
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP.
Julio - Casts +2 TP on Ezana
Benedict - Casts "Now" on Ezana
Ezana Cast - Global Lightning.
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP - continue for infinite lightning.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Natural 20 posted:

Mage weapons do not affect spell power, but top tier weapon upgrades give everyone the chance for a new skill.

This is particularly important for the mages because they get ultimate spells from this and these things have versatility.

Spoilers for Ezana's ultimate.

Ezana's ultimate is global lightning, so every single enemy on the map gets nailed by a lightning bolt and those bolts have a paralysis chance. I'm still unsure on quite how it works, but the global lightning has a relatively low hit chance, we're talking between 30 and 60% or so. I've not figured out what actually changes the hit chance. Weirdly, it's not accuracy. I think it might be elevation or level but I can't really be sure.

In any case, this costs 5 TP to cast and takes one turn to finish the channel and fire.

So I set up in such a way that:
Ezana - Vanguard Staff - Turn 1 - Rite of Rain to increase Lightning's Damage.
Julio - Turn 2 - Casts +2 TP on Ezana.
Quietus - Move Ezana's turn up to next.
Ezana - Turn 3 - Cast Global Lightning.
Benedict - Turn x - Cast "Now" on Ezana.
Ezana - Turn X+1 - Global Lightning.

This gets out a Global Lightning around turn 10 of round 1.

Then:
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP.
Julio - Casts +2 TP on Ezana
Benedict - Casts "Now" on Ezana
Ezana Cast - Global Lightning.
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP - continue for infinite lightning.

I didn't go that deep on it but I did use Ezana's ultimate with Ezana, Julio's +2 TP, and then the Quietus in a similar manner; only once per battle, though. It saved me in the fight with Minister Kamsell at The Source since it managed to paralyze the annoying mages on the other side long enough to kill them off.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So I managed to hit the “Golden Path” as my first play through, turns out that going with my gut got me to hit every correct choice. It also justified my hard-headed stance to not use the traps when I fought Avlora that first time…

Just got to Chapter 19 and wow, Chapter 18 was a wild ride.

I ended up spreading out my units pretty well for what each fight was going to be, despite pretty much taking shots in the dark on who should go where.

For Benedict’s fight, it took 3 tries, so I gained the most levels overall for those characters. I had to use all 4 traps. Groma really carried most of the fight with a ton of huge dodges. I two-fold turned Anna and shredded a huge amount of HP off of Exharme by sandwiching him between her and Groma. Archibald did some real work on thinning out enemy ranks as well. I am also extremely impressed at Avlora’s ability to just tank crazy amounts of damage.

For Roland’s fight I gathered everyone up by Svarog, and had Julio feed TP to Narve to keep the scorches coming while everyone was grouped on the stairs. Rudolph was a real star in this fight.

And for Frederika’s fight, I had basically brought my heavy hitter team. Erador kept on provoking whenever he got a chance, Geela basically used every single action to heal him. And Serenoa and Maxwell did most of the work taking down everyone.

For going in to these fights with empty spaces on every team, I found these fights incredibly tense and satisfying.

I really love this game, all the characters feel special in their own way, and can cause you to play each stage in very different ways. I also really love how the complete lack of permadeath results in some stages being ridiculously tough, but let you make big plays that can result in a character dying but having done a crucial status effect or that big chunk of damage to a boss.

I’m definitely looking forward to going back through a couple times on NG+ to see what all the other branching paths lead to, and how the other endgames are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I only made it past chapter 2 (because man there's a lot of set up and dialogue), but I'm having fun right now. The enemies in battle hit pretty drat hard, but the quicksave is pretty generous so I appreciate that at least.

I know I saw some earlier complaints about Serenoa being boring, and while I agree, I think I'm fine with Serenoa being just a competent, honest rear end dude in a sea of GoT-style schemers. Interested to see where this goes later in the game.

The English VA is... fine, I'm not going to change it to Japanese or anything unless the quality really craters later on. Given the prior roles that a lot of these VAs have been in, this seems like some pretty dire voice direction. Like, there's no way a lot of these lines could have been the best takes from these actors (Serenoa's VA did loving Sylvando from Dragon Quest 11 for christ's sake; that VA can emote better than this). But that's just a minor complaint I have so far.