Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's sort of like how you can call china murderers, or russians corrupt, but you have to be very careful about making any blanket statements about Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's sort of like how you can call china murderers, or russians corrupt, but you have to be very careful about making any blanket statements about Israel.

Thereby treating Israel differently and thus contravening the IHRA definition and thereby rendering yourself anti-semitic by not making such statements.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah it seems like every fucker in the pub is doing cocaine now. It's the one drug I will absolutely refuse to try on principle because holy poo poo the cartels are some of the sickest people on the planet. Would quite like to try MDMA though, even though the thought makes me anxious because my only experience of it was watching some girl outright die off one dodgy pill in one of those don't do drugs PSA films we were forced to watch in school.

All pretty irrelevant though, none of my friends do any illegal drugs and I wouldn't know where to even start finding a dealer as a 32 year old bloke.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReclaimTS/status/1502230918513278977
This sounds pretty positive.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it seems like every fucker in the pub is doing cocaine now. It's the one drug I will absolutely refuse to try on principle because holy poo poo the cartels are some of the sickest people on the planet. Would quite like to try MDMA though, even though the thought makes me anxious because my only experience of it was watching some girl outright die off one dodgy pill in one of those don't do drugs PSA films we were forced to watch in school.

All pretty irrelevant though, none of my friends do any illegal drugs and I wouldn't know where to even start finding a dealer as a 32 year old bloke.
Cocaine is hugely overrated. MDMA is awesome but you’d want to do it with a group of friends, it’s not going to be at all the same just sat on your own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should make SPDMA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate to keep dumping medical questions on the thread but I'm having a shite time looking this up online.

A friend is being considered for a sleeve gastrectomy where they hack off most of your stomach, it sounds utterly horrifying but is apparently preferred over other bariatric procedures including the gastric band according to her doctor.

Are there any good resources that anyone with knowledge would recommend? She is going for consultations but I think we would both feel better if we had something like an impartial source, apparently it is being funded because they have spare cash for the department or something and that just has me worried they're being overzealous. She wants to know what questions she should be asking and I've never had major elective surgery so I'm a bit stumped.

I guess just the main thing I'm looking for is good information on the risk of severe negative outcomes and what, if anything, can be done to prevent them. If it doesn't help her much then she would be unhappy but the big concern is currently she has no serious health concerns other than her weight, which is why she was considered for the surgery because she would likely recover well from it and it would hopefully prevent her developing them, but genuinely the concept of it is just terrifying to think about and if she picked up a long term condition from it that would be devastating. She's already uneasy about the prospect of being dependent on vitamin supplements from it.

I really hope they will go through all this with her and not be pushy, just worried a lot about her and she asked me if I could find any useful information for her. All I've got so far is just a million variations on what's on the NHS page, but from other health authorities.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

When I wanted to lose weight I spoke to my GP about it and she set me up with a dietician. When I got to the appointment though I discovered that it was actually as part of the surgery department that does gastric bands, which was not something I had asked for. What I found out was that gastric bands still require dietary changes to make a long-term difference, and putting me in this department was just the easiest way to get me to a dietitian since they make anyone going for a band see one anyway. When I was seeing the dietician I repeatedly had to stop her from launching into a spiel about how a gastric band wasn’t a silver bullet and dietary changes were still essential by assuring her I had no interest in the surgery.

My point is that while the NHS does offer gastric bands, they also have a whole apparatus to convince people not to get one, since so many people think that it will solve all their problems. I don’t know much about sleeve gastrectomy but I suspect it’s a similar situation. So if anyone is being pushy I imagine it’s your friend, otherwise the situation is genuinely serious enough to warrant that surgery. That said, I would recommend seeing the dietician and trying to lose the weight naturally. It may feel impossible but it isn’t, I was well into the highest category of obesity, and now I’m just a few kilograms away from having lost a full 1/3 of my previous weight. And frankly it’s not unreasonable to want to be able to enjoy a large meal occasionally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She's been struggling with weight management her whole life and has been with a dietician before, she is probably more active than I am but still significantly more overweight. She has lost some weight in the last couple of years but I don't think she's ever managed to get down to what would be best for her health. I know she isn't pushing for it because she was quite ambivalent about the whole prospect and is really only considering it on the medical advice. If it helped her get down to a healthier weight that would be good for her as far as I understand it from a health perspective, but she's never had surgery before so it's worrying her a lot.

I think she would prefer not to have it if at all possible, but it's whether realistically she is just risking delaying until she has to have the same conversation some years from now in poorer health and less likely to recover well from the procedure.

Shite decision to have to make honestly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 12, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

They can have all the protests they want now, and the police can just stomp them down for being a bit noisy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm gonna ask here because I'm really struggling to find this via Google and I know we have experts on loving everything here

When a barperson pulls a pint, what causes the liquid to come up from the kegs in the basement? What's the mechanism that makes it come out so steadily?

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
Re: the sleeve gastrectomy, patient.info is usually quite good, and has articles for medical professionals that go into more detail (though are less comprehensible).

https://patient.info/healthy-living/obesity-overweight/weight-loss-surgery

They are not procedures without risk, and the complications can be awful - obesity makes the surgery and managing complications challenging.

Having said that, the long term consequences of obesity are also devastating - from the obvious things like diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, arthritis, to the fact it makes any other health conditions much harder to manage.

It’s a very personal decision and the team she’s been referred to should help counsel her on the options.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

For beer from a cask the magic words you want to google are “beer engine”. http://www.shakespearebrasserie.com/engine.html

The link above has a great diagram.

For kegged beer you use co2 to force the beer out https://content.kegworks.com/blog/parts-of-a-draft-system

You can identify the two at a bar by either having handle which is “pumped” - that’s the cask version, or a switch that is just flicked down - that’s the kegged version.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My mind just flashed back to the days when I worked as the cellarman for a nightclub. The biggest and most popular in Bristol.

Now there was a job that took hours to do. Restocking the 6 bars for a 2,000 person occupancy club took a while.

I ended up working during the day and night which meant some weird rear end hours of be working.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

For beer from a cask the magic words you want to google are “beer engine”. http://www.shakespearebrasserie.com/engine.html

The link above has a great diagram.

For kegged beer you use co2 to force the beer out https://content.kegworks.com/blog/parts-of-a-draft-system

You can identify the two at a bar by either having handle which is “pumped” - that’s the cask version, or a switch that is just flicked down - that’s the kegged version.

The beer engine was invented by the same man who invented the the machine that prints sequential numbers on bank notes and the modern toilet flush mechanism. He defined the entire workflow for a long sesh, and should be on the £50 note instead of Turing IMO.

(It is actually a little weird how Joseph Bramah isn't up in the pantheon of Victorian Engineers, because a lot of his stuff is still in use to this day and he basically invented quality control as we understand it, but I guess we always prefer a magnificent failure to clever but dull, e.g. the current PM)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Man was absolutely prolific to be sure. Although his engine was really an improvement on Lofting’s version rather than a whole cloth invention.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
calling for violence against putin is good imo personally i'd like him unceremoniously shot through the head while on toilet for preference

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Everyone who can should use MDMA at least once, and if they're healthy, a couple of times a year. It's an enormously useful tool for mental health, and when used responsibly is also one of the safest drugs out there. It's also just a really fun, lovely, profound experience in general, even if you don't have things to work out or a brain that needs unclogging from time to time

TACD posted:

Cocaine is hugely overrated. MDMA is awesome but you’d want to do it with a group of friends, it’s not going to be at all the same just sat on your own.

Eh, that's not a hard and fast rule, I've had several very successful rolls where I did it therapeutically, to work some stuff out privately - very positive experiences. It is really good with other people, though, yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the modern toilet flush mechanism
Wasn't Bramah's toilet flush a rubber flap valve? Which is still the modern toilet flush mechanism in most of the civilized world but was banned in the UK until fairly recently. Maybe that's why we don't talk about him.

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it seems like every fucker in the pub is doing cocaine now. It's the one drug I will absolutely refuse to try on principle because holy poo poo the cartels are some of the sickest people on the planet.
They should really just legalize importing coca leaves from countries with recognized and regulated plantations, it'd solve a lot of problems. Even if they kept the formal bans on cocaine in place it'd magically find a way to appear the other side of those people with far less environmental damage.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

They should stop using plants for foreign policy tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An aspidistra might be more dynamic than Liz Truss.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What the gently caress is that? lol

e: Please tell me that's satire....

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The state of this country’s media

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1502612547031212036?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kinda here for Posadist Giles Coren more than I wish I was tbh.

At the very least his opinions on the nuclear destruction of the entire northern hemisphere are better than his opinions on women, the city of Manchester, or fried chicken.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cold War Steve's nemesis, Warm Peace Sharon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

An aspidistra might be more dynamic than Liz Truss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4gsl1MdiI

Also I'd forgotten just how hilarious non-TfL public transport is, I've just been given two completely different prices for exactly the same journey just by moving from one ticket machine to the next (because the card reader was broken on the first one). Then by changing the sequence in which I asked for the ticket I managed to get the original, lower price.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Warm Peace
That was by that Russian chap that wrote Aryna Sabalenka wasn't it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

the bad filter makes it look like one of those AI generated paintings

though those usually make more sense than this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Kinda here for Posadist Giles Coren more than I wish I was tbh.

At the very least his opinions on the nuclear destruction of the entire northern hemisphere are better than his opinions on women, the city of Manchester, or fried chicken.

Or his own children!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It's time for the Guardian's semi-annual tour of a rural area!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/12/abersoch-second-homes-holiday-wales

Who is building the houses? Who owns them? On behalf of whom? Is planning permission working properly? What are councilors doing?

Find out the answers to none of these questions!

But it is very sad.

Tune in next time!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What was it that Dawn Foster wrote about Coren? Along the lines of if we know who your father is we shouldn't have to also know you. Seems a fair rule

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if i see pigs harassing someone on the street in london am i allowed to film it? will they come and confiscate my phone and/or try to get me in legal trouble as well

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
their vision is based on movement op

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

What was it that Dawn Foster wrote about Coren? Along the lines of if we know who your father is we shouldn't have to also know you. Seems a fair rule
This is the best summary of his whole career I've read
https://twitter.com/Joannechocolat/status/1502582134715867139

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mdma provided one of the best / stupidest nights of my life, but seeing the regular users the next day with faces like someone shat in their weetabix warned me off a little.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MDMA has been known to cure libertarianism.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chubby Henparty posted:

Mdma provided one of the best / stupidest nights of my life, but seeing the regular users the next day with faces like someone shat in their weetabix warned me off a little.

I've always found if you use it responsibly (i.e. don't use enormous amounts, don't use it regularly, don't drink excessively when you're on it, don't mix it with speed) then the hangover is more like a really gentle, pleasant afterglow. Maybe a little bit of nausea, but nowhere near even, like, a regular booze hangover

But yeah, for definite though I've heard horror stories about people who use it/used to use it on the reg. I can fully believe if you're blasting your serotonin receptors like that every weekend you're gonna feel extremely bad

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’d say MDMA comedowns started to really get to me after ~8 years of taking it a few times a year, I wouldn’t worry about it if you’ve never taken it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

L O loving L

https://twitter.com/unethicalprude/status/1502365071741235202