Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vahakyla posted:

Europe’s full of sovieh armor in civilian hands. My neighboring farm had a T-34 as a collector piece in Finland. It even ran sometimes. Same collector bought a BMP-1 from Poland, from another collector. The price was only a few thousand in 2005, the heavy transporter cost to move it and the repairs were the problem.

T-55s and T-72s are perfectly legal to own and operate on your farm. Roadways get trickier, in Finland you can get temporary snowmobile permit on a tank to traverse a road a bit as a private owner.

The main guns aren’t deco’d. They get so big that gun laws stop applying to them and you can just keep them. Ammo would be different, though.

These things get like a mile per gallon, and they are maintenance nightmares. There’s some natural limits to ownership, rather than legal ones, in most European countries.

So do tanks have like a key and an ignition switch like a regular car or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Slowpoke! posted:

I didn’t get a chance to screenshot it, but someone is running an ad on the forums that is just a Z. Not a good look!

Site admin has stated he has no problems with it :waycool:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Military vehicles don't have keys, the last thing you'd want in combat situation would someone scrambling for key during an attack, or worse losing the loving things. "sorry sir would have loved to have made the offensive but private Jenkins lost the tanks keys somewhere between the latrine and the mess."

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

100+ euro of fuel to start the things. who would steal that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...alink&__tn__=-R

Latest update from Ukrainian military. The big news seems to be that Russian forces have breached eastern flank of Mariupol defences.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Matchstick posted:

Osprey Publishing going to have an entire book devoted to Ukrainian farmer tractors.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Had a call with my in-laws from Russia. It's really sad. my father in law has explained how the US can't have biological weapon factories on their territories that's why they built them in Ukraine. Also said that Hungary and Poland should have just occupied western Ukraine and all this would be over quickly with everyone happy, in fact this is still an option and the EU or NATO wouldn't do anything about it.

The amount of brainwashing happening in Russia is mindboggling.

Worst part of the call was my wife's 90 year old grandmother constantly asking when are we going to visit them in Russia :(

Honestly this is something I find disturbing not just in Russia but in China as well - average people just openly accepting that great power imperialism and naked landgrabs because "We can and what are you going to do about it?" is normalized and justifiable. Like, US imperialism is a thing for sure but there's at least a sense that it should be justified on moral or even legal terms somehow. There's a subset of people in China (and apparently Russia too I guess) that accept that "we're strong and they're weak" is all the justification necessary, and I find that worrying. Granted it's not universal by any means but it's way more common than I'm comfortable with.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barrel Cactaur posted:

100+ euro of fuel to start the things. who would steal that?

It's got a great big cannon on the top, like anyone behind the count of a petrol stations gonna be asking you to pay for fuel.

Edit:

Tomn posted:

Honestly this is something I find disturbing not just in Russia but in China as well - average people just openly accepting that great power imperialism and naked landgrabs because "We can and what are you going to do about it?" is normalized and justifiable. Like, US imperialism is a thing for sure but there's at least a sense that it should be justified on moral or even legal terms somehow. There's a subset of people in China (and apparently Russia too I guess) that accept that "we're strong and they're weak" is all the justification necessary, and I find that worrying. Granted it's not universal by any means but it's way more common than I'm comfortable with.

Better then "We should grab that land because the people on it are evil. Also we should kill everyone his living on that land as well" I guess. Also does it really matter if you justify it or not, like during colonialism you had a whole bunch of countries taking over place completely loving over the locals to get what ever sort of wealth they could from the area, then saying oh yeah, nah were actually good people because were actually helping the locals. End of the day do the local who are getting hosed over care about the reason why? Seems the justifications more just to ease the guilt of the guilty.

I mean I am 100% with you that people still think that sort of thing these days, but I think a lot more people would then you think and don't feel it would be acceptable to say, but with the propaganda, now seems a group of people in Russia might find that oh that is an acceptable thing to say.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 12, 2022

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am surprised by how many John Deere’s are in freaking Ukraine unless it’s like a weird subset of farmer that likes both them and tanks.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tomn posted:

I agree that such things are disturbing and piss me off everytime I read them (and bode ominously for the future), but I think you are underestimating the extent to which such views exist among similar subsets of people in the West too. I can't remember the details but at one point Trump started ranting about how the US should seize the oil and gas fields in Syria/Afghanistan/Iraq/insert nation here. No justification, just naked resource grabbing. And it was popular with his base.

People driven to nationalistic fervour are awful shitheads no matter where they live.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...alink&__tn__=-R

Latest update from Ukrainian military. The big news seems to be that Russian forces have breached eastern flank of Mariupol defences.

:smith: There can't be more than a battalion of Ukrainian regulars in there. It's amazing they've held as long as they have. I hope they somehow throw it back, and if not then Russia actually helps the civilians there.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hand Row posted:

I am surprised by how many John Deere’s are in freaking Ukraine unless it’s like a weird subset of farmer that likes both them and tanks.

This is a topic that could fill a separate thread, but the gist of it is the Eastern European countries are predominantly agricultural with guaranteed incomes from this source and a lot of aging equipment, which make them prime targets for international banks. It’s very easy as a farmer to get a loan for farming equipment, and bank agents push farmers into getting super fancy huge rear end tractors and combines they don’t actually need.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

I'm from a three street town in the middle of nowhere in Northern Ireland, and a family started their tractor/farm vehicle selling business a decade or two ago.
They recently sold it for a billion, they have people from all over the world come to their open auctions to buy alsorts of different country brands.
Can be weird seeing Japan brand tractors roll past sometimes when you don't usually see them used here.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tomn posted:

The moral and legal justification for the last few American military involvements is shaky at best. We just did a better job of making sure everyone had decided to believe our bullshit before we started dropping bombs. It's disturbing to see happen again and yeah it's probably more blatant fabrication this time but it's only a difference of degree (and success).

greazeball fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Boris Galerkin posted:

How to steal a T-72: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7L4MhRkTQ

There are people in Ukraine who stole them and some T80's based on watching a Youtube video like the one above.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Ynglaur posted:

and if not then Russia actually helps the civilians there.

You're talking about people who bombed a maternity hospital and blamed it on the Ukrainians.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mokotow posted:

This is a topic that could fill a separate thread, but the gist of it is the Eastern European countries are predominantly agricultural with guaranteed incomes from this source and a lot of aging equipment, which make them prime targets for international banks. It’s very easy as a farmer to get a loan for farming equipment, and bank agents push farmers into getting super fancy huge rear end tractors and combines they don’t actually need.

Future bank agents now have even more arguments to sell those big fancy tractors. "Look at how we can tow tanks! You didn't see that Kyoba tractor towing away any SAM's did you!"

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Hand Row posted:

Some are probably Dutch Deutz Fahr tractors which use almost the same green as John Deere.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I hope one day, when this is all over, we get a Blackadder goes Forth or Dad's Army comedy.

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1502274459620855812?s=20&t=2S_VZfcov5kP0fxCrXgBaw

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1502274461453668354?s=20&t=2S_VZfcov5kP0fxCrXgBaw

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1502274462930120705?s=20&t=2S_VZfcov5kP0fxCrXgBaw

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kofman was on the money, about 31st in Hostomel early on.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1502532986729807872

Being able to throw a tactical shovel underhanded is a poor replacement for armour & air support. :ohdear:

Such wastage of humanity is bad for the soul no matter the side.

:utruck:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

greazeball posted:

The moral and legal justification for the last few American military involvements is shaky at best. We just did a better job of making sure everyone had decided to believe our bullshit before we started dropping bombs. It's disturbing to see happen again and yeah it's probably more blatant fabrication this time but it's only a difference of degree (and success).

Yeah, like I said it's not an excuse for American imperialism but there is at least a fig leaf of a justification, a sense that some justification IS necessary - which can at least theoretically allow for social pushback on such adventurism and provide some degree of a brake, even if not much of one sometimes. What worries me is average people on the street who don't think justification is necessary to begin with, that it can and should be OK to go full mask-off from the word go. If that spreads much then you've got no brakes at all except whether the leadership thinks they can pull it off or not, which as we're seeing can go horribly, disastrously wrong for everyone involved. Though that being said...

Tigey posted:

I agree that such things are disturbing and piss me off everytime I read them (and bode ominously for the future), but I think you are underestimating the extent to which such views exist among similar subsets of people in the West too. I can't remember the details but at one point Trump started ranting about how the US should seize the oil and gas fields in Syria/Afghanistan/Iraq/insert nation here. No justification, just naked resource grabbing. And it was popular with his base.

People driven to nationalistic fervour are awful shitheads no matter where they live.

Fair, I guess that does exist in the West as well though I still think the proportion is smaller from what I've seen. Agreed that all such are terrible no matter where they are.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

yaffle posted:

Some are probably Dutch Deutz Fahr tractors which use almost the same green as John Deere.

JD have the yellow wheels.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
So tankies are forbidden but can we have

Tracties??

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Well this seems like it'll make western businesses want to keep operations open in Russia!
https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/1502619015017082881?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
I can't believe Google/Apple didn't get their people out already tbh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

I can't believe they thought hotel under fake name would be enough.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

greazeball posted:

Eh, the Americans weren’t convincing anybody either. You just never saw how flimsy the whole song and dance routine is from the other side before. It’s all performative bullshit by middle managers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hand Row posted:

I have even a further John Deere’s Ukrainian Surprise for you - https://www.vice.com/en/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

In reality, it’s just a tractor brand with honest reputation here. They’re easy to spot even in my neck of the woods, of Latvia’s poorest region.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KitConstantine posted:

Well this seems like it'll make western businesses want to keep operations open in Russia!
https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/1502619015017082881?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA

TBH I don't give a poo poo about high up google executives.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Antillie posted:

I would say he pretty much already has. Even if this stopped tomorrow and all the Russian troops magically teleported back to wherever the hell they are normally stationed its going to take 10+ years to get Ukraine back to some semblance of its former self.

Yes, but Ukraine is most likely getting a New Marshall Plan from the US and EU. Money, talent, and investment will be pouring in over that decade. The lives and historic treasures can’t be replaced but they can and will rebuild. Poland’s pathway is repeatable. Entering the EU gives them instant hard currency as well. Before the war they were already leaders in agriculture and offshore IT, those are solid things to build on.

Russia on the other hand, is on their own. It’s not in Chinas interest to restore them to former glory. Nobody else has the kind of money needed to do that. In the 2030s the west will be halfway done transitioning off oil. Mineral resources can be found elsewhere.

Long Ukraine, short the poo poo out of Russia. None of the sanctions are conditional, it’s “they come off when we feel like it.”

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

PITT posted:

JD have the yellow wheels.

If I had to guess John Deere, being the largest ag manufacturer in the world, has really a good dealer network/spare parts support there.

Also a lot of the Ukrainian units we've seen don't seem to have the big ol DEF tanks on the exhaust - my theory is that EU emissions standards are tighter than those in Non-EU countries so a lot of the units that are no longer legal to operate in the EU end up sold at auction there and in Asia.

I know for a fact that CNH has an entire factory in India just for building tractors that don't qualify for US/EU emissions standards but are OK under India's looser regulations, and I wouldn't be surprised if John Deere did the same

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We must stop the racist Anzac battalion from using nuclear reactors as ammo depot's

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

D34THROW posted:

You're talking about people who bombed a maternity hospital and blamed it on the Ukrainians.

I know. It's a fool's hope. :smith:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

I didn’t get a chance to screenshot it, but someone is running an ad on the forums that is just a Z. Not a good look!

That's the ad I'm seeing right now. Pretty gross.

links to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994250

So can we start putting up advertisements for Radio Mille Collines here too?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

dr_rat posted:

Were they not already trying to do that?

As long as they still are just looking to attack them when inside Ukraine than this seems like bluster that everyone just assumed was going on. If they are going to go around Poland and other places attacking what ever they think is an arms shipment than this seems insane and very not good.

Also if I'm not mistaken Poland has pretty decent AA capabilities right?

Considering that Polish airspace is currently being patrolled by NATO/US F-35s, yes they have very good AA.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I feel like any "What will the PRC do" question can be answered "Play as many sides as possible for the most possible profit, a la the cold war West". Same for the KSA.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m watching two Ukrainian An-32s beelining it across Poland from UKLU which is a great choice because the runway basically ends in Slovakia.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I've seen an argument that we are living in a decade where those in power in Russia (Putin: born 1952) and China (Xi: born 1953) and India (Modi: born 1950) all have their geopolitical compasses aligned on a childhood shaped in the early to mid Cold War period, and now have the increasingly centralized power to indulge in nostalgia

I don't put much credence in this but it's funny to think about, for sure

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 12, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Putin, Macron, and Scholz had another three-way...conversation today
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502658812897112064?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502659351982530562?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
Though for all these chats seem to accomplish they may as well be a circle-jerk
Edit: Notes from the Kremlin read-out
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/russia-ukraine-war-informed-them-real-state-of-affairs-russia-on-germany-france-talks-2819323

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 12, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

This is some baffling amateur hour, to think that they’d just register under assumed name in a hotel and see through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

That's the ad I'm seeing right now. Pretty gross.

links to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994250

So can we start putting up advertisements for Radio Mille Collines here too?

:siren: Enough about the ad itt. It’s been discussed both here and in QCS, and Jeffrey doesn’t care. :siren: