Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus loving christ.

E: oh no the rest of you fuckers don't get out that easily. I had to see it so you have to as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
A match made in heaven hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brewer looks absolutely thrilled too lol.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

uh is that meant to be the Irish flag or have Italy been secretly pulling the strings all along

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

They do say that opposites of reality attract

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well they have a lot in common, I'll give them that.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I have no idea who she is and only the vaguest idea of who he is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

I envy you so much

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
She's the thinking man's Billie Piper, if you think about it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

important poll time:

which bin liner is the best? (my answer spoilered below)

it's tie handles. It's OBVIOUSLY tie handles, nobody ever wants any of the other loving types, they exist purely to deceive exhausted shoppers who've already been in Tesco for 2 hours and just want to go home. If I see the drawstring picture I'm thinking "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top" and then NO it's the fuckers that fall to pieces if there's more than a single bit of old cheese in there; if I read "tie top" I think "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top and then no it's the ones with useless flappy bits that get covered in manky bin juice. gently caress off gently caress OFF with your shitey non-tie handle bin bags

(flush top doesn't even warrant a mention, I mean come on)

this has been my bin bag meltdown thank you for coming

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

TACD posted:

important poll time:

it's tie handles. It's OBVIOUSLY tie handles, nobody ever wants any of the other loving types, they exist purely to deceive exhausted shoppers who've already been in Tesco for 2 hours and just want to go home. If I see the drawstring picture I'm thinking "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top" and then NO it's the fuckers that fall to pieces if there's more than a single bit of old cheese in there; if I read "tie top" I think "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top and then no it's the ones with useless flappy bits that get covered in manky bin juice. gently caress off gently caress OFF with your shitey non-tie handle bin bags

A correct post

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

She's the thinking man's Billie Piper, if you think about it

This reminded me of an old Big Train sketch I haven't seen in years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3oU-Z4Vxo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Maugrim posted:

A correct post

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Maugrim posted:

A correct post

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Question for DIY goons, we had a power socket replaced which went due to damp, and we've also since had the damp dealt with and the plastering replaced. The electrician wired up the power socket, but left it sticking out with a plastic guard in case the damp got it again before the plasterers could come in:

He said that once the plastering was done the guard could be removed (being careful of the plaster obvs) and the socket pushed straight back into place and screwed in, is that something I could do or should I leave it to a professional? It doesn't sound that difficult, but I'd better be sure first.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Wait this can't be real surely, loving hell. She's a decade older than him as well the dirty old woman.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Question for DIY goons, we had a power socket replaced which went due to damp, and we've also since had the damp dealt with and the plastering replaced. The electrician wired up the power socket, but left it sticking out with a plastic guard in case the damp got it again before the plasterers could come in:

He said that once the plastering was done the guard could be removed (being careful of the plaster obvs) and the socket pushed straight back into place and screwed in, is that something I could do or should I leave it to a professional? It doesn't sound that difficult, but I'd better be sure first.

it's just a plastic safetyshield to stop crap getting into the backbox. turn the circuit off, take all the wires out of the back of the socket, take the shield off and bin it, then put the wires back into the terminals and screw the socket plate into the backbox.

e: some of them you can snap off along a seam on one side without having to turn anything off or do anything with the terminals.

kecske fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 12, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The beer engine was invented by the same man who invented the the machine that prints sequential numbers on bank notes and the modern toilet flush mechanism. He defined the entire workflow for a long sesh, and should be on the £50 note instead of Turing IMO.

(It is actually a little weird how Joseph Bramah isn't up in the pantheon of Victorian Engineers, because a lot of his stuff is still in use to this day and he basically invented quality control as we understand it, but I guess we always prefer a magnificent failure to clever but dull, e.g. the current PM)

Oh that's interesting, him & Tommy Flowers (world's first programmable electronic computer; Colossus) join the ranks of the practically unknown sustainers of technology.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
So what's their couple name? Julience? Brewx? Twocunts?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fartley Box

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

it's just a plastic safetyshield to stop crap getting into the backbox. turn the circuit off, take all the wires out of the back of the socket, take the shield off and bin it, then put the wires back into the terminals and screw the socket plate into the backbox.

e: some of them you can snap off along a seam on one side without having to turn anything off or do anything with the terminals.

Okay cool, I can manage that, thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy that the very act of them being together is apparently a cause for guilt.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

She was a big defender of disgraced ex-doctor Andrew Wakefield during his vaccine hoax

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay cool, I can manage that, thanks!

Give the wires a pull after you've connected them back up to make sure you've actually got them seated. Especially the earth wires. Its very easy to leave a wire loose if you don't double check.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maugrim posted:

A correct post

I like tie tops if the bag is strong enough, they tie up the bag tighter.

First against the wall etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

Same tbh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ditto. But tie tops are acceptable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends what kind of bin they're going in too. Some bins best fit the drawstring type and other types are annoying to fit properly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The people's bin liner is old carrier bags and the liberal democrats have destroyed our culture.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

If you don't fill a drawstring all the way up to the brim you can pull it closed then use the string to tie the "neck" under the closure and it works really well.

Always buy the most expensive bin bags you can afford. The saved £ is nothing compared to maggots/bin juice or a trash evisceration in the kitchen.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

If you don't fill a drawstring all the way up to the brim you can pull it closed then use the string to tie the "neck" under the closure and it works really well.

Always buy the most expensive bin bags you can afford. The saved £ is nothing compared to maggots/bin juice or a trash evisceration in the kitchen.

Nobody needs golf leaf encrusted raspberry scented bin bags. Definitely never get the cheapest bin liner OR tin foil. You will regret it. Also those big rear end toilet paper bags works really well for small bin liners - better than carrier bags imo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The thread favourite headbanger Birbalsingh has made new parenting recommendations lmbo.

Turns out all the studies showing kids without smartphones are deeply disadvantaged are just bogus, apparently (not).

Restrict phones to improve child social mobility in UK, says commission chair

graun posted:

Schools and parents can improve the social mobility of disadvantaged children by restricting access to smartphones, the chair of the government’s social mobility commission has said.

Katharine Birbalsingh told the Association of School and College Leaders annual conference: “If we genuinely want things to be fairer, and we want our disadvantaged children to be socially mobile, the best thing I can do for them is getting them not to have a smartphone.”

Birbalsingh described how her school – Michaela community school in London – encouraged pupils to hand in their mobile phones and video devices to the school for safekeeping in a “digital detox” programme.

Also she's asking parents to do the same thing with "video game leads". Guessing goons will love that, or even society at large given how gaming has become prevalent lately.

Video gaming is just for adults, don't you know.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 12, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Nobody needs golf leaf encrusted raspberry scented bin bags. Definitely never get the cheapest bin liner OR tin foil.

Do you by chance shop at Fortnum & Mason or Harrods comrade?

I get not skimping on the bin bags but why not cheap foil? There's the fancy non-stick stuff but if it's just to protect a baking tray any cheap poo poo works just as well when covered in oil.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Do you by chance shop at Fortnum & Mason or Harrods comrade?

I get not skimping on the bin bags but why not cheap foil? There's the fancy non-stick stuff but if it's just to protect a baking tray any cheap poo poo works just as well when covered in oil.

It just rips instantly and somehow always sticks to the wrong thing. It also doesn't roll off the cardboard well and rips diagonally instead of the correct way so you end up using too much.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

TACD posted:

important poll time:

we may have to swap as i'm always trying to get tie tops and ending up furious with a pack of tie handles that won't open wide enough to comfortably tip the dustpan and brush in, at least without a good few minutes folding the great bloody loops out of the way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We could improve social everything by restricting access to birbalsingh, imo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Private Speech posted:

Nonsense; you tie the bottom of thehandles together, smoosh out all the excess air, twist the excess bag at the top into a strand and tie it in a loop below the handle knot and the top of the bag. Perfectly airtight and you still have the handles to carry it out to the bins

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah it sounds good in theory but I have never found a binliner whose drawstring won't tear itself out of the bag under the very slightest force.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The trick is to have one's staff empty the bins.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1502697966439698433?s=19

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1502739335883509763?s=19

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1502742366179966978?s=19

So much of life and culture in Britain is dictated by people all trying to get an invite to the most oval office filled party of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that boy band keir starmer in the 2018 shots?