Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get an Instant Pot if you want to do both.

To add to this, because they're so popular a ton of recipies are tailored specifically to them. Because you can't really stir things around and taste during the process I think it's more important here than in traditional stovetop type of cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VelociBacon posted:

Because you can't really stir things around and taste during the process

Yes you can. You can cook stuff with the lid off too.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Yes you can. You can cook stuff with the lid off too.

I mean yeah sure it's possible to use it as an electric pot, but you're ignoring the point that once you begin the pressure cooking process it's incredibly inconvenient to stop the process and restart it if you need to

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been happy with my Breville for years now.

Thank you! Taking a look at their stuff. I've got lumpia to fry

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I mean yeah sure it's possible to use it as an electric pot, but you're ignoring the point that once you begin the pressure cooking process it's incredibly inconvenient to stop the process and restart it if you need to
theres no need to worry about this if you don't gently caress up

I guess it doesn't lend itself very well to improvisation, like you're going to want to follow a recipe to get consistent results because you can't muck around with stuff midway through the cook. the flipside of that is that you don't actually have to stand over a pot, you can go back to watching a movie or getting your dick sucked or conducting medical experiments on a helpless monkey tied to some pvc pipe

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the flipside of that is that you don't actually have to stand over a pot, you can go back to watching a movie or getting your dick sucked or conducting medical experiments on a helpless monkey tied to some pvc pipe

The real joy of the instant pot is efficiency, which is why I combine all three

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Would an induction burner provide enough energy to heat a pot full of enough oil to fry a turkey?

Just wondering if that would be a safer method of frying one instead of messing with propane and open flame.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My impression is that trying to fry a turkey is incredibly loving dangerous basically no matter what and isn't worth attempting

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got an electric turkey fryer and it struggles to come up to temp when cooking a brined bird. If having the heating element immersed in the oil can't do it, I can't hold out much hope for induction. If that burner can draw more than the 1500 watts or so available to countertop appliances here in the US, your results might be better than mine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Would an induction burner provide enough energy to heat a pot full of enough oil to fry a turkey?

Just wondering if that would be a safer method of frying one instead of messing with propane and open flame.

My new induction cooktop has a setting that's intended to maintain even frying by automatically adjusting power settings to hold the temp steady so I would assume so. I haven't tried to use it for frying yet and I wouldn't ever fry a turkey in the house though so..

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

My impression is that trying to fry a turkey is incredibly loving dangerous basically no matter what and isn't worth attempting

If you let it thaw completely and don’t overfill the pot, it’s not dangerous. An induction burner is probably a lot safer than a gas burner though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anne Whateley posted:

Most of the time of cooking isn't in stirring the thing in the pot, it's in prep time. You don't just pour a stew into the slow cooker and take it out when it's hot. You wash and cut up the celery, you peel and cut up the carrots, you wash and cut up the potatoes, you peel and dice the onions, you season the meat, you get out 3 bay leaves and finish the jar and write them on the shopping list, you find the bottle of Worcestershire and measure out a tablespoon. Slow cooking is great, but it's not literally pour and pres butan.

True pres butan life is Tovala. Probably don't do this since it's a ludicrous scam.

Another option is to cook ahead. If you have more time on the weekends, make big batches then and eat leftovers during the week.

Another option is to cook simpler stuff. A piece of salmon and sautéed spinach may seem more hands-on since you're standing at the stove, but it takes maybe 15 minutes from fridge to plate.

For vegetables, btw, please do not slow-cook them for 8-12 hours. Please don't. Your microwave will steam them perfectly in 5-10 minutes.

Sous vide is nice and easy too but cook time can be a problem, if you are going from freezing you want to do more like 2 hours cook time. And it’s a lot of plastic. But it basically turns means into “entree in bag”, and then maybe throw some veggies into the pressure cooker steamer basket ten minutes before mealtime, and then just dress everything.

From fridge temps it’s usually an hour though and fish is quicker than that, it’s about 20 or 30 minutes at temp for salmon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 4, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Death is inevitable. Glory is not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well my KD-8000 scale is finally kicking the bucket. It's not zeroing out right anymore and it doesn't reset to zero when even tiny amounts of pressure are applied and then removed from it (like my fingers reaching into a cup to remove a pinch of protein powder from the top of my milk) and in fact it's actually ADDING weight when that happens. It's also adding weight whenever I accidentally tap whatever is on it with my finger, like 20 or 30 grams of weight or more. I just sat an empty blender pitcher on it and tared it to zero, then went to grab something from the fridge and when I came back it was showing 3 grams despite nothing being added to it; I only looked away for a few seconds.

So...

It looks like it's time for me to pick up that Maestro scale SymmetryrtemmyS hocked awhile back and find out if it lives up to the hype.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

First instant pot cook was “meh”.

Second instant pot cook was “above average”.

Looking forward to third try.

Thanks again for the recommendations friends!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what'd you make?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A “meh” curry adapted from a chicken curry. It ended up watery and half way between chili and curry. Second time I pushed it more towards curry spices, didn’t add any stock, and added more cream.

Worked better, still not great.

But the instant pot did it’s job marvelously 😎

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My dishwasher is busted

The repair man I called said it’s not worth fixing because it’s a Roper and I guess that brand was bought by Whirlpool and dissolved?

Anyone wanna recommend a brand? My kitchen is white so I think I want a white one too

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Steve Yun posted:

My dishwasher is busted

The repair man I called said it’s not worth fixing because it’s a Roper and I guess that brand was bought by Whirlpool and dissolved?

Anyone wanna recommend a brand? My kitchen is white so I think I want a white one too

Bosch. Good luck finding one. I had to wait 6 months for mine but maybe they're caught back up with production.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Bosch. Good luck finding one. I had to wait 6 months for mine but maybe they're caught back up with production.

I'll second Bosch. All the appliances in my house are turning into Bosch stuff as the old ones fail. They just seem to be better made and offer more at only a slightly premium price point.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had a full Bosch kitchen and because of it I now know how to repair pretty much anything that goes wrong.

As a bonus their service people would come out, look at something that didn’t even turn on, make a bunch of excuses and then say it worked fine and leave.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Chemmy posted:

I had a full Bosch kitchen and because of it I now know how to repair pretty much anything that goes wrong.

As a bonus their service people would come out, look at something that didn’t even turn on, make a bunch of excuses and then say it worked fine and leave.

So are you for or against Bosch

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I'm the same with Whirlpool--I know I can easily get parts either online or at the local overpriced parts warehouse. Do I love the products? No. But I can always fix it which hasn't been the case with Bosch, LG, Samsung, or Lennox nonsense.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I have a 3.5qt lodge enameled dutch oven. Is there any reason to upgrade to a le creuset larger one, vs just a larger lodge one?

Like 80 bucks versus like 400? (estimates), but can Le Creuset be that much more special? Does the extra money make it better?

I know kitchen stuff is definitely you get what you pay for, but when it comes to straight up iron cooking devices, is it worth it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

By the accounts ive read the lodge ceramic stuff is good, but it won't last literally forever. A well cared for lecruset is something you can pass down for generations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Go to TJ Max, Marshall’s or Home Goods and they’ll usually have an enameled 5 or 7 quart for $80-120 from a decent brand like Tramontina or Cuisinart

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Go to TJ Max, Marshall’s or Home Goods and they’ll usually have an enameled 5 or 7 quart for $80-120 from a decent brand like Tramontina or Cuisinart

Is Lodge considered like a lesser, to those? I don't mind really. An heirloom dutch oven is a pretty sweet idea. I don't have kids, but I could probably give it away when I die

the lodge ceramic is all scratched up because i did not take any care of it whatsoever, but it still does the job. But a 3.5 quart is kind of limiting, even for a household of one.

Like if I felt like hauling it, I wouldn't hesitate to throw it on a campfire to get the poo poo done and cooked. Im close to the stage of throwing away most of my pots and pans since I've ruined most of them anyways.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had a lodge that the enamel cracked on very early in its life so I avoid them personally.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm the same with Whirlpool--I know I can easily get parts either online or at the local overpriced parts warehouse. Do I love the products? No. But I can always fix it which hasn't been the case with Bosch, LG, Samsung, or Lennox nonsense.

I had no trouble getting Bosch parts locally once I found the right local appliance repair store.

I just unfortunately became a regular.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just bought a place with Bosch washer/dryer please don't tell me these things.

The oven and dishwasher are whirlpool at least. And the oven is convection, and one of those ones where the heating elements are hidden or not at the bottom or something so your bottom rack goes like pretty much all the way down to the floor of the oven, seems wild to me.

e: actually anyone have any recommendations for maintaining ceramic/glass stovetops? It's this one if it matters:

Seems crazy to me to have the bottom rack like that (if the heating elements are still on the bottom) but the space is appreciated.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 12, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

blight rhino posted:

Is Lodge considered like a lesser, to those? I don't mind really. An heirloom dutch oven is a pretty sweet idea. I don't have kids, but I could probably give it away when I die

the lodge ceramic is all scratched up because i did not take any care of it whatsoever, but it still does the job. But a 3.5 quart is kind of limiting, even for a household of one.

Like if I felt like hauling it, I wouldn't hesitate to throw it on a campfire to get the poo poo done and cooked. Im close to the stage of throwing away most of my pots and pans since I've ruined most of them anyways.

Basically all the cheap enameled are made in China so you have the QC that goes along with it. I have some T name one from sears that is still going after a decade but the enamel has not held like my parent's Frenchie that's a lot older.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

blight rhino posted:

I have a 3.5qt lodge enameled dutch oven. Is there any reason to upgrade to a le creuset larger one, vs just a larger lodge one?

Like 80 bucks versus like 400? (estimates), but can Le Creuset be that much more special? Does the extra money make it better?

I know kitchen stuff is definitely you get what you pay for, but when it comes to straight up iron cooking devices, is it worth it?

Keep an eye out for sales. Made In just put their Dutch oven out, it runs $200 but they do 20% off sales a couple times each year. Le Creuset goes on sale a bit less frequently than Staub, which is the other classic high end French brand.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

There's actually a sale right now at Sur La Table for top end brands like Le Creuset, Staub, All-Clad, etc.

I went with Lodge for my first dutch oven recently, but only to see if I'll actually use a dutch oven enough.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I just bought a place with Bosch washer/dryer please don't tell me these things.

The oven and dishwasher are whirlpool at least.

The washing machine’s metal latch is held down by a plastic bracket. That breaks and you can’t get the latch to engage.

To fix it you need to remove the door, and also remove the seal (which is a nightmare). They don’t sell that plastic bracket and it’s part of the door assembly despite being on the frame of the washer.

The door assembly was $300. For a plastic bracket that holds the latch in place.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sounds like german appliances are like german cars in that they break if you breathe on them, they are a pain to take apart, and the parts are laughably expensive. why bother going for one at that rate

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My Bosch dishwasher is good.and I love the fridge too. But I’ve only had them a year.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The dishwasher was the only thing we had from them that didn’t break down in four years.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

VelociBacon posted:

e: actually anyone have any recommendations for maintaining ceramic/glass stovetops?

I use a razor tile scraper to scrape off stubborn caked-on residues that scrubbing with a glass top cleaner won't remove. I haven't had any issues with scratching the glass.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I can vouch for that as a solution as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks, have one of those already so glad to hear it.