Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And They Died! March 20, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 24, 1919

And He Did! March 2, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 5, 1936

Mopsy November 13, 1937

Up Front January 31, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 21, 1952

Those Were the Days June 4, 1959

Wee Pals May 28, 1966

Dogbert January 25, 1967

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days June 4, 1959

And a reference I didn't know was a reference slots into place: The Rover Boys

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in the 90s, I worked (very briefly) at a Radio Shack. I had the the misfortune of being there for inventory. The place was totally hosed up and we were there until about four in the morning. A week later, the manager flipped out and quit and company policy dictated a new inventory had to be done.

I said "nope" and quit.

As a former RadioShack manager, it sounds like your manager was poo poo lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

That one took me longer than I expected to parse. Usually I follow the slang just fine but something here tripped my head up.
If a guy gets down on his luck, a car like that won't hold the gear for a side-gig.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bruceski posted:

That one took me longer than I expected to parse. Usually I follow the slang just fine but something here tripped my head up.
If a guy gets down on his luck, a car like that won't hold the gear for a side-gig.

I think it translates more runs out of money you can’t live out of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crab Dad posted:

I think it translates more runs out of money you can’t live out of it.

Oh, that tracks better.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

And speaking of "deep, uneasy inhales", Funky Winkerbean

gently caress this so hard.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

drat, that's some beautiful contour shading.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: 'I've heard about women obsessing over shoes, but this is ridiculous!' - and now that I've gotten that incredibly sexist joke out of my system, I'm sorry, or Pearl pulls a Sherlock Holmes, or Tensions are mounting...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass comes back March 28th!

Old School Peanuts (May 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 22-23, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

This comic just keeps getting weirder and I love it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A true hero of the people. :patriot:

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently there's been some Crabgrass news:

quote:

Some... news

So there's been update on the Crabgrass newspaper launch, folks. Long story short: It's been pushed back to June 27. Long story long: This comes after a lots of debate and considerable effort on behalf of Andrews McMeel to prevent it from happening. But, it turns out trying to launch a comic is newspapers during a pandemic (and the potential start of World War III) is more difficult than anyone anticipated! The world is different than it was just a few years ago and an already shrinking newspaper industry has become more difficult than ever for new comic features to penetrate. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a feeling of being the Last Guy Through The Door, but the folks at Andrews McMeel still believe deeply in Crabgrass. They are determined to give the strip the launch it deserves and that unfortunately means pushing the launch date so they can pull a few tricks out of their considerable bag.

Crabgrass is GOING to be in papers. Let's not get confused about that. These timetables were always a very fluid thing subject to forces not always under my or the syndicate's control. Thankfully this isn't AM's first rodeo and they know exactly how to navigate the situation. I on the other hand have never been to a rodeo and honestly am just there for the clown ( I don't know what that means).

But regardless of the behind the scene machinations I still feel an enormous obligation to you folks. 6 months is too long to ask you to wait around for new comics. I keep checking the Patreon waiting for folks to start peeling off and I keep being shocked how many of you are sticking around to support the comic! And so as a show of thanks I will be having a "soft launch" of the new comics on Patreon on the original newspaper launch date of March 28. I'd post them on Instagram as well but there's a chance doing so would interfere with the newspaper launch and my editor thinks it would be best to keep it sort of low profile.

So that's what going on with Crabgrass. Thank you, everyone, for your continued amazing support and keep an eye here for new comics in a couple of weeks.

Ok so just to be clear my general rule is to post things that are displayed in public spaces like Twitter/Facebook/GoComics/Etc but not private spaces like Patreon where artists rely on readership for income. As such I won't be posting the new Crabgrass strips until they have a public release of some kind. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will happen before the official newspaper launch so we just may be out of luck until then. To hold us over maybe I'll grab a short run of another strip for a while to fill the gap. Maybe the first year of Big Nate ? I've been meaning to see how the original compares to the show and it seems to be the only modern strip that's not posted. Well, setting aside those that were banished for being irredeemably boring or outright hateful garbage. Feel free to let me know if you have any better ideas.

Anyways, if you want to read the new strips before June Tauhid's Patreon is here for those interested. It's a good comic and Tauhid seems like a cool dude so it's money well spent if you can afford it imo.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 12, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like Rae The Doe as much as the next person but it's not making a strong case for reading Little Women

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Night Visitors

These are the classic mid-20th-century train journey accoutrements.

Monya the Grey

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Also, going through my files just now I found this, which I'm pretty sure I got from an earlier thread.
Sorry I don't know who to credit.

It's a good joke, but I mainly saved it because Swole Baby cracks me up:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1950)

Panel seven is absolutely terrifying.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Bloop posted:

As a former RadioShack manager, it sounds like your manager was poo poo lol

He was a retired cop and treated the staff like suspects in a line-up.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "86 - Jucika, The Genuine Autumn Model" NSFW Topless and a near full frontal

"87 - Jucika and the Engine Noise"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hey, Katrinka, I have a job for you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

I demand she be blackballed in every studio, immediately.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

Once again Dick Tracy squares up against an enemy with some physical or mental disorder. This time, it's the guard's anterograde amnesia.

quote:

Johnny Hazard

I'm really hoping for Ironic Decapitation as the conclusion of this chase sequence.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Nonzero chance that she is getting too drunk every time she visits and is writing messages to herself.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 12, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

A real knee-slapper

Mandrake

Comic Strips 2022: MA JEEBLES IS A SUPERB COOK!!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/11/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 5/2/48

Smokey Stover 9/8/46

Re the sixth panel: "Never give a sucker an even break" was one of the catchphrases of actor/comedian W. C. Fields.

Everyday Movies 12/6/34

Babes in Toyland

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Today's funky winkerbean is some of the most repulsive poo poo I've seen, but still not as bad as Mary Worth gaslighting what's her face and justifying abuse

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

"... Cayla Moore, who most people forget is Les Moore's current wife because he and the rest of this godforsaken universe still obsess over his dead wife, who has been gone now for God knows how long. I mean, that is seriously creepy. Most people would have left that sorry rear end in a top hat years ago, but I'm guessing Cayla either has the patience of a saint or Les has a huge life insurance policy that she's going to cash in on when he inevitably keels over and dies of a massive heart attack in the middle of one of his 'Dead Wife 5k' races."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

"... Cayla Moore, who most people forget is Les Moore's current wife because he and the rest of this godforsaken universe still obsess over his dead wife, who has been gone now for God knows how long. I mean, that is seriously creepy. Most people would have left that sorry rear end in a top hat years ago, but I'm guessing Cayla either has the patience of a saint or Les has a huge life insurance policy that she's going to cash in on when he inevitably keels over and dies of a massive heart attack in the middle of one of his 'Dead Wife 5k' races."

Nah, it goes to Les Moore because writing a lovely direct to streaming movie that was so bad he didn't even get invited to the oscars despite him writing the sumbitch merits him getting the best actress award

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

What kind of joyless rear end in a top hat tries to discourage their friend from getting a puppy?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i would absolutely discourage a friend from getting a puppy on a whim

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Twelve by Pies posted:

What kind of joyless rear end in a top hat tries to discourage their friend from getting a puppy?

The kind of person who knows drat well their friend isn't a responsible enough person for a pet?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The kind of person who knows drat well their friend isn't a responsible enough person for a pet?

Well okay yes but this is a grown woman with children and she doesn't seem to be framed as "bad parent."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can tell she's a bad parent because she's never locked a baby out in the snow

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I would not recommend that my friend going through severe empty nest syndrome go out and get a puppy on impulse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Odie would be proud (April 17-23, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Kell, you are a CEO. You're the CEO of your own company, which is a direct competitor to Herd Thinners. And I'm pretty sure you were CEO of Herd Thinners for a while, too, but I don't care enough to go back and check if I'm right.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

And They Died! March 20, 1919

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Apple edition)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Esplanade posted:

Also, going through my files just now I found this, which I'm pretty sure I got from an earlier thread.
Sorry I don't know who to credit.

It's a good joke, but I mainly saved it because Swole Baby cracks me up:

Oooo, that's one of the ones from Life. And that's from Carl Anderson, the guy who created Henry.

Anyway, today is the day we've been dreading for years, because...

(deep, shuddering sigh)

:siren: LES MOORE GETS HIS UNDESERVED VICTORY LAP :siren:

She delivers the moment of truth directly to the reader. TomBat is mocking us.

Of course, this strip having the history it does, maybe he dropped the popcorn because he had a stroke

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 12, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol:

I was waiting for today's Funky to drop in the thread. It's beyond parody at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Garbage made by a hack