Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm speculating that she's actually top brass, maybe one of the Lumon board or even a member of the founding family, and she's undergoing being severed as some kind of weird "I did it myself and it was perfectly fine, how do you do, fellow poors!?!"

The monstrous way she treated her innie, straight up telling her,"You're not a person, I am," kind of seems in line with that privileged/corporate attitude, but maybe that's just a sad indictment of the way a lot of the outies feel about their work selves?

God, I love this series.

I always assumed she was just a regular Lumon worker who decided to get severed. When Milchick brought up the founder's favorite breakfast, she said she had already heard, so she already had some kind of familiarity with mundane details of the company. It just made sense to me that if working for Lumon was terrible, Helly might jump at the chance to undergo this procedure. If Outie-Helly was doing it to escape hell, just like her Innie is currently trying to, then she's drat well not gonna go back on it. That's the point, right? They're going to great lengths to show us how simply being in an unescapable corporate nightmare would be enough to make her willing to condemn another version of herself, simply to escape.

If Outie-Helly let her Innie quit, she'd have to get a job again, i.e. she'd have to live the Innie life again and we have all seen why she wouldn't want to do that. Innie Helly is willing to both die and kill to avoid that. The calculus is exactly the same for the Outie. For all we know, unsevered Lumon still has Break Rooms and all the other awful poo poo meant to isolate you emotionally and break you down until you're nothing but a human cog.

Like, imagine if Helly got the chance to do a double-sever, and have a persona that only existed in the Break Room. If the Break Room Innie begged her to undo it, would she? Of course not. Who cares what that thing says. You've escaped. You're finally safe.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Outie was previously a worker, she's being no more monstrous than the Innie is.

Maybe I'll be wrong about this but I think the idea fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
It's unusual that Ms. Casey seems robotic and less human. Emotional severance?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I always assumed she was just a regular Lumon worker who decided to get severed. When Milchick brought up the founder's favorite breakfast, she said she had already heard, so she already had some kind of familiarity with mundane details of the company. It just made sense to me that if working for Lumon was terrible, Helly might jump at the chance to undergo this procedure. If Outie-Helly was doing it to escape hell, just like her Innie is currently trying to, then she's drat well not gonna go back on it. That's the point, right? They're going to great lengths to show us how simply being in an unescapable corporate nightmare would be enough to make her willing to condemn another version of herself, simply to escape.

If Outie-Helly let her Innie quit, she'd have to get a job again, i.e. she'd have to live the Innie life again and we have all seen why she wouldn't want to do that. Innie Helly is willing to both die and kill to avoid that. The calculus is exactly the same for the Outie. For all we know, unsevered Lumon still has Break Rooms and all the other awful poo poo meant to isolate you emotionally and break you down until you're nothing but a human cog.

Like, imagine if Helly got the chance to do a double-sever, and have a persona that only existed in the Break Room. If the Break Room Innie begged her to undo it, would she? Of course not. Who cares what that thing says. You've escaped. You're finally safe.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Outie was previously a worker, she's being no more monstrous than the Innie is.

Maybe I'll be wrong about this but I think the idea fits.

thank you for posting what i wanted to say but more eloquently. i would be lmbo'ing at every stupid rear end video and letter and plea my innie made as i spent money i didn't earn and lived a life of freedom and luxury never before known to me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SpaceAceJase posted:

She does seem really weird. I thought originally that the way she spoke in the wellness sessions was just her doing corpo speak that was specifically designed to be neutral or something. But seeing her act that way both with management and while observing Helly, she just seems odd as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Personally speaking I couldn't deal with that guilt, knowing some alternate version of myself was living in utter misery to finance my comparatively carefree life :smith:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Ever since the "three light bulbs, two on, one off" i've been speculating about a third personality, where maybe the real or realer job takes place. Even though i'm convinced that the numbers do have some significance.

But i couldn't figure out how they'd explain the lost time to the outie. And now after all the mentions of "leave at five" "staggered exits" etc i think that of course, they hide that time from the innies. Just tell the outie to come to work at 9, tell the innies they start at 10, have them raising lambs from 9 to 10. Something weird is going on (duh)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe she's the Greg the Egg of the Eagan family and has to successfully do like a year of being severed to get into the inner circle!

severspringa

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ever since the "three light bulbs, two on, one off" i've been speculating about a third personality, where maybe the real or realer job takes place. Even though i'm convinced that the numbers do have some significance.

Yeah, same. There's also the painting in Cobell's office, and other little visual notes built around threes -- normally that's something I'd dismiss out of hand, but this is a fairly formally driven show that I'm open to it.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I reckon it's a consequence of her role at Lumon. Wellness seems to be about neutralising the severed worker's feelings, to return them to a pliable state where they can work better. It's not clear if she ever sees anyone outside that capacity either -- certainly, she seems intimidated, and a bit thrilled, by the idea of doing field work with Helly. I think she's just incredibly sheltered.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 12, 2022

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Did they say if the thing that switches innie/outtie is like a dome or sphere type force field around the area, or only at points of egress? Like if they dug a hole to the surface through a wall could an innie, “escape?”

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

She's always solo, I wonder if maybe her weirdness is that she has no co-workers and never really learned what normal human interaction is like

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Tweak posted:

Did they say if the thing that switches innie/outtie is like a dome or sphere type force field around the area, or only at points of egress? Like if they dug a hole to the surface through a wall could an innie, “escape?”

Others may interpret the text differently. To me, they have definitively stated that the innie/outie switch is determined by units below/above sea level. It could be almost assumed that this only applies within the company property which may have some kind of acreage-based radius. So yeah, possibly a dome.

The specific quote is that a person's memories will be spatially dictated.

They have the option to later say the explanation was a false narrative from the start, but that is what they have told the innies so far, and it fits all the cinematography and dialogue regarding the elevator and stairwell, as well as how we've seen outies/innies regain their consciousness, and it matches all the things that people, both severed and not, have discussed in relation to the effects of the process.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

edit post misclick

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Danzel Glovington posted:

Others may interpret the text differently. To me, they have definitively stated that the innie/outie switch is determined by units below/above sea level. It could be almost assumed that this only applies within the company property which may have some kind of acreage-based radius. So yeah, possibly a dome.

The stairwell that Helly is trying to escape from on day 1 requires no altitude change to trigger the innie/outie switch - she just walks/runs through the door and it happens.

Edit - are you saying it’s the dome “edge” there?

Electric Sugar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 12, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My interpretation is that there is a device in the elevator only that switches them

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

My interpretation is that there is a device in the elevator only that switches them

the stairwell does it too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With the stair well didn’t she turn back immediately ? Or did she go in the stairwell , “escape” go home and then come back through the stair well ?

Sorry serious question I am confused

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

euphronius posted:

With the stair well didn’t she turn back immediately ? Or did she go in the stairwell , “escape” go home and then come back through the stair well ?

Nah it's immediate.

I've been assuming it's some sort of transmission from a mounted device, that signals the chip to swap memories.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also its possible the chip does nothing and really it is The Board using their extra-dimensional powers, and they just go with a chip story to not scare people. They could sever whoever they want that is within their sphere of power

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

euphronius posted:

Outtie-Helly gets her little pep talk from Milchick, who is waiting on the other side of the door, and turns right around and goes back in again. Multiple times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She instantly becomes outie Helly as soon as she walks through the door. That could be because of some device that turns off the implant, but it could also just that they are hypnotized to be their innie when they see the severed floor and be the outie when they see anything else. Though I don't know how you'd hypnotize in all the context and edge cases, so it probably is just a thing that switches off the implant when you walk through a certain doorway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Electric Sugar posted:

Outtie-Helly gets her little pep talk from Milchick, who is waiting on the other side of the door, and turns right around and goes back in again. Multiple times.

Ok that makes sense

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

roomtone posted:

I wonder what the point of Mark's sister meeting the rich lady was?

I assumed it was "Rich people go into the house and their innie has the baby for them". Why go through the pain when you can have someone who only exist to feel that pain?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BooDooBoo posted:

I assumed it was "Rich people go into the house and their innie has the baby for them". Why go through the pain when you can have someone who only exist to feel that pain?

was there some kind of hint that this is what was happening?

because i like this idea for the show, i just didn't pick up on this at all. all i got from the rich lady was 'who is this poor invading my space?', while politely smiling.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Just remembered something. Whoever mentioned Truman show may have been on to something, but not directly.

One of the inspirations, although not the main, was a Philip K Dick novel whose name i don't recall. (as an aside Dick would've been all over this concept).

In that novel the constructed reality is so that the Truman character can keep playing a number puzzle on the newspaper, each day he receives the newspaper, solves the puzzle and is awarded a cash prize. It's later revealed that by solving the puzzles he is predicting where nuclear strikes would fall and allow the US to take measures. The fakeness was so he wouldn't be affected by the pressure of knowledge, and would allow his intuition take in the facts (the numbers through code) and act.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Trabant posted:

Please tell me what you do.

I mean, I want to do a good job too, but 18 years later and it's still FYPM.

I’m in education which has a whole lot of intrinsic rewards when you’re doing a good job. It helps knowing that my working harder helps directly improving my local community rather than making a rich person richer. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a good match for my interests and talents. I’m also lucky enough to live in a state where the compensation is pretty solid for the amount of days worked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m in education which has a whole lot of intrinsic rewards when you’re doing a good job. It helps knowing that my working harder helps directly improving my local community rather than making a rich person richer. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a good match for my interests and talents. I’m also lucky enough to live in a state where the compensation is pretty solid for the amount of days worked.

Ok this changes everything and I withdraw my “lmao”. My bad

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/mradamscott/status/1502778690786103299

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Just caught up with this show and I just want to note that the Enter Sandman sequence was so great. The shot from inside Petey’s head? Insanely cool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress, just started episode and holy poo poo, just the "get in the elevator" bing bong forgetso -- plus tension of her fate worse than death unresolved edit oh fakeout

ahaha "it was not me who was wrong, it was literature itself" i cant quote every line, amazing ahahaha

"do you know how to make your eyes kind?" *becomes Oblivion character*

this episode is amazing, wha tthe gently caress

kid goat?!

is miss casey the real protagonist of this show all along?

edit: Oh gently caress, it's over. Okay, somehow I got it in my head this was the finale so I was wondering how they're going to wrap up while introducing all this "oh poo poo" but they got more rope to give.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 13, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

edit: Oh gently caress, it's over. Okay, somehow I got it in my head this was the finale so I was wondering how they're going to wrap up while introducing all this "oh poo poo" but they got more rope to give.

We're just over halfway through. Nine episodes this season, and it's been renewed for a nine episode second season they've just started filming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

roomtone posted:

Ms Casey became much more interesting to me this week. She was just a symbol of Lumen's evil before, but now we see that she isn't just that. She is capable of being tricked and freaked out, she even seemed naive in a Data from TNG kind of way, as opposed to a corporate automaton kind of way. My hunch is she'll end up aligning with the innies at some point, maybe she is one herself. Maybe she's never allowed to leave.

Really get a vibe she's more of an experiment than usual, something is up with her even from the way she delivers the freaky "please enjoy these facts" weirdness, to her seeming inability to truly observe or comprehend others' emotions outside the framework she is provided. One thought is they took someone on the autism spectrum who can't naturally read faces or otherwise intuit feelings from body language, and just wanted to see how this person performs when put in a position where they're an uniwitting psy-ops agent delivering psuedo therapy while themselves being the target of some psyop or experiment.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wonder how many severed workers refuse to leave work because of this.

I think the suicide rate would be higher, similar to it being higher for prisoners, but with still a majority of folks who really prefer being alive no matter how lovely their life itself is for the duration.

roomtone posted:

because i like this idea for the show, i just didn't pick up on this at all. all i got from the rich lady was 'who is this poor invading my space?', while politely smiling.

She's a rich person, rich people are all up to something all the time and it's almost always exploiting people poorer than them, even when no apparent mechanism to do so is readily apparent.

XboxPants posted:

Except, you're not though. Your brain is still trying to make pathways between neurons, however the device severs those connections, whether there's scarring or remains or chemical gradients, whatever idk and idk if they thought that specific about it, but there is non-zero interaction between the severed selves despite their best efforts of control.

I'm also thinking that Cobel is interested in possibly unsevering herself to whatever extent she may or may not be, or perhaps that knowledge is just part of a more traditional power play or some kind of blasphemous coup?

Open Source Idiom posted:

We're just over halfway through. Nine episodes this season, and it's been renewed for a nine episode second season they've just started filming.

To be honest as much as I've loved every minute of this, I am disappointed there's def a season 2 because I want a neat bow on everything without any "ooh dangly strings until we are cancelled and can hopefully wrap em up." That said, there's a lot they can build on here and Archive 81 TV show was missing some of the Eldritch Building of the Archive 81 podcast and this is jazzin more of those notes for me. And perhaps 2 seasons is the right amount of time to give us a finale resembling the paintings in episode 5.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

roomtone posted:

The only bit of information she actually offers is that she's had 3 kids, as that would be all she knows.

It's speculation, of course, but that's what leapt out at me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Having a random person creep around outside your cabin while you are there to give birth isn't exactly pleasant, framing it as the evil rich woman taking pity on a poor woman seems like an extreme take. Especially since Devon and Ricken talked about how envious they were of the big cabins.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sure, but I think people are suspect of the sequence because there'd be no apparent reason for it to be so spooky and mysterious if it wasn't related to the Lumon plot in some way, shape or form.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How is Patton Oswalt involved?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
This is the first show ive seen since early lost where i just had no loving idea what is going on. I mean i have theories but im not particularly confident in any of them
Love it

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Khanstant posted:

I'm also thinking that Cobel is interested in possibly unsevering herself to whatever extent she may or may not be, or perhaps that knowledge is just part of a more traditional power play or some kind of blasphemous coup?

Cobel isn't severed though. None of the characters in the office with actual last names are severed. That's why severed ones just get a letter for a last name as it's another tell that they are severed and not "real" people.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I think it's pretty cool that the outie employee badges seem to be inspired a bit after Apple employee badges with the photo placement being pretty spot-on. There are also probably other Apple Inc. inspirations too.

Also, it's also noteworthy that Mark drives a Volvo as his wife seems to have perished from a traffic accident.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

crazysim posted:

I think it's pretty cool that the outie employee badges seem to be inspired a bit after Apple employee badges with the photo placement being pretty spot-on. There are also probably other Apple Inc. inspirations too.

I'm utterly gobsmacked that this show is on loving Apple TV+. I remember the early days when creatives were complaining about how Tim Cook only wanted bland family friendly fare (I can't find the specific article but I am almost certain I read at some point he didn't even want shows that showed technology in a negative light). And this show goes against ALL of that AND seems to take a couple of shots at Apple to boot. Either Cook is oblivious or maybe he got his head out of his rear end and is letting his underlings take some risks for once.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 14, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

crazysim posted:

Also, it's also noteworthy that Mark drives a Volvo as his wife seems to have perished from a traffic accident.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volvos have the reputation of being the safest cars on the market.