Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Flash is never coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol they JUST did a big thing before The Batman making a big deal about how all those movies were coming out in 22.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

The Flash is never coming out
It sure feels that way

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, it is actually done filming at least. Which is different from before where it doesn't seem like it was ever going to get going.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i don't care about any of those movies so i'm not sweating it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Lol they JUST did a big thing before The Batman making a big deal about how all those movies were coming out in 22.

2022 IS THE YEAR OF DC

GET READY FOR AQUAMAN... MAYBE

AND

SHAZAM... HEY, MID-DECEMBER STILL COUNTS

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
reportedly the delays are due to COVID causing issues with post-production

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't seen the new Batman yet but I am a big fan of the cosplay it has inspired
https://twitter.com/chibith0t/status/1501655755530854403?t=_DadYF0GniIjc1i_dmT1Ug&s=19

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Barry Convex posted:

reportedly the delays are due to COVID causing issues with post-production

The Flash is done with principle photography right? That's over a year of post

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dunno where else to put misery bombs like these so we'll get it here!

https://www.polygon.com/22969047/disney-dont-say-gay-bill-florida-bob-chapek-ron-desantis
Basically Disney supports the scum trying to censor queer children in Florida and, when pressed on it, expressed some...hopes?...prayers?...that the bill won't actually end up doing the exact thing that it's intended to do.

I've handwaved away a lot of Disney's shite but this might be the thing that finally crosses my lines. At a time like this, with the stakes being as they are, I'm not going to pay for their services when that money is going to go towards stuff like this.

In other news, Ryan Coogler got the cops called on him and handcuffed when he was trying to withdraw money from his own Bank of America account.
https://twitter.com/Ericperrytv/status/1501676044516048897

BOA has apologized about it but like. Y'know.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 10, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's causing some dirty laundry to get aired.
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1501753007150489607?t=NIi9jZJuiQaMdgMumyrijA&s=19

If this stuff has been sheared out of Pixar, then it almost certainly has in Marvel. In fact, we know it has with Ragnarok.

Link to actual story : https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disney-pixar-same-sex-affection-censorship-dont-say-gay-bill-1235200582/

Karloff fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 10, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The callousness with which Bob Chapek has responded to this controversy floored me. He didn't even express a willingness to stop funding the worst of Florida's politicians, instead choosing to wave the whole situation off with a "the best thing we can do is make inspiring stories!" Which is, as we all know, something they don't do when it comes to LGBTQ+ themes and characters. Absolutely rotten to the core.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah what stands out is how easy it was for Disney to take a PR lay-up here.

They don't even care enough to lie. Just 'gently caress you' to everyone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They actually did come out and lie, because yesterday Chapek said some poo poo about getting ‘personal assurances’ from DeSantis about the law and claimed that he was told that this would ‘not be used to repress gay people’. DeSantis has denied this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The Flash is done with principle photography right? That's over a year of post

idk about the specifics, but that's what the Hollywood trades are reporting. Wan also directly confirmed this was the case for Aquaman:

https://twitter.com/FlashFilmNews/status/1501956559420669954

Karloff posted:

It's causing some dirty laundry to get aired.
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1501753007150489607?t=NIi9jZJuiQaMdgMumyrijA&s=19

If this stuff has been sheared out of Pixar, then it almost certainly has in Marvel. In fact, we know it has with Ragnarok.

Link to actual story : https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disney-pixar-same-sex-affection-censorship-dont-say-gay-bill-1235200582/

iirc, one of the set visit reports for Black Panther described a flirtatious moment between two of the Dora Milaje that didn't make it into the film. I think Michaela Coel is rumored to be playing a Dora Milaje character in Wakanda Forever who's in a same-sex relationship in the comics, but I'm not holding my breath.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I am increasingly losing my mind at the sheer insistence of mainstream """family friendly""" culture that gay people simply do not exist and that the very mention of them is some de facto NC-17 content

Anyway I have seen No Way Home and The Batman recently and they were both good. I'm glad Reeves and Pattinson took the bold stance of acknowledging that Bruce/Bats is a weird goth freak with the social skills of a profoundly mentally ill insomniac who only talks to his butler.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I thought "China" was always the go-to excuse for excluding LGBTQ+ content, but no, the higher-ups just suck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine something that helps DC's tv shows with their LGTBQ representation is that Greg Berlanti, who produces/develops just about everything, is gay.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Karloff posted:

Ragnarok definitely did this. But Eternals had an explicit queer family. And hopefully Love & Thunder is able to hold firm with its much more explicitly gay plot points. It's so gross that we are being forced back into using queer coding for any minuscule representation in mainstream films. And with X-Men on the horizon and so highly anticipated, I really fear it will get a complete and thorough straight washing and really crush a lot of fans love.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

X-men had better be so goddamn drat loving gay

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when the x-men do finally show up iceman's introduction will be him looking directly at the camera saying, "i used to think i was something perverted, but thanks to the florida based bob chapek funded disney conversion therapy camp, i like women"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

when the x-men do finally show up iceman's introduction will be him looking directly at the camera saying, "i used to think i was something perverted, but thanks to the florida based bob chapek funded disney conversion therapy camp, i like women"

Star Lord in the corner clapping and weeping with joy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks like dp3 is gearing up

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1502403211566583810?s=20&t=pSP_h58U08PS9M5OKIlnLA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

No, they'll just have him be aggressively straight, claim he'll develop out of it, ans then recast/kill him before it happens

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JordanKai posted:

The callousness with which Bob Chapek has responded to this controversy floored me. He didn't even express a willingness to stop funding the worst of Florida's politicians, instead choosing to wave the whole situation off with a "the best thing we can do is make inspiring stories!" Which is, as we all know, something they don't do when it comes to LGBTQ+ themes and characters. Absolutely rotten to the core.
Sounds like he got some real pushback and is doing damage control - but only after the bill has already passed so what can he actually do?

https://twitter.com/BenjaminJS/status/1501661625853497344
https://twitter.com/BenjaminJS/status/1502369188408487937

MH Knights posted:

I thought "China" was always the go-to excuse for excluding LGBTQ+ content, but no, the higher-ups just suck.
whattabout china
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1502053641116659714

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 11, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know it's sincere when it's just a pause and not a permanent stop, and it's a pause on all donations to FL politicians and not just against republicans

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No Way Home's digital release has been moved up to next Tuesday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hopefully they remember how to write jokes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

you know it's sincere when it's just a pause and not a permanent stop, and it's a pause on all donations to FL politicians and not just against republicans

It's exactly the same as when companies stopped donating to election liars which lasted all of a month.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmfao you'd think Eugene Levy's son would look a little weird but not like THAT

edit: lmao i'm an idiot dan is his son and looks normal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched The Adam project and I gotta say, it is a competently made film written by a computer algorithm with a LOT of therapy for anyone with a dead parent packed in

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nodosaur posted:

No Way Home's digital release has been moved up to next Tuesday.

It got leaked today, I suppose that's why. :yarr:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I watched the Batman Monday and am only just getting around to posting about it and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because everyone's talking about how great it is and I feel like it was... okay I guess. Like, it's certainly not bad, but I would not call it the best by a long shot. I guess a lot of my complaints at the end boil down to

• Batman essentially losing. Like, everyone talks about Batman being a good detective in this movie and at first it is really cool to actually see him solving riddles on the scene and solving ciphers behind the scenes with Alfred and recording crime scenes with his super-contacts so he can review them later, he's eventually getting led by Riddler the whole time, constantly one step behind. Batman saves the new Mayor, but other than that Riddler's entire plan goes perfectly according to plan (aside from him not being best buds with Batman). The only people he wanted dead but didn't kill are Bruce (because duh) and the mayor, and his not-QAnon boys still managed to shoot (and probably kill) a bunch of people there anyway. Like, I don't need to have my movies all wrapped up in a neat bow where nobody gets hurt and the villain's plan is thwarted entirely but this is like if the climax of TDK ended with Joker blowing up both boats and everyone was just like "Well I guess Joker was wrong and the people of Gotham didn't turn on each other before he blew them the gently caress up :shrug:". It reminds me of the end of Batman Arkham Knight where Scarecrow's plan goes off without a hitch but it's treated as a win at the end because Bruce doesn't go insane and Scarecrow's going to prison ('cause yeah, that'll stick this time I'm sure :rolleyes:)
  • Also I feel like if the plan was to flood the city, maybe they really should have addressed that before the climax? Maybe my memory's shoddy, but I don't think any other version of Gotham I've seen in media is like this, by which I mean protected by a "sea wall" (which is an interesting term I've never heard before, don't get me wrong though it makes total sense) and I don't think they ever make mention of it until the end. Like, it wouldn't be hard to mention that the sea wall is unstable or something.
  • Movie's too dark, literally. Maybe it was just my theater but there were some scenes where I could tell what was going but was thinking "this would be a lot better if I could loving see it". Like the big Batmobile chase was very cool but between the dark and the overwhelming rain I feel like know I was having a harder time seeing the action than I should. I'm not asking for Batman '66 where everything's bright and defined but I don't know, work with me, Matt Reeves.
  • The motherfucking Joker. Like, there were a ton of people who called it including myself, it doesn't mean I'm happy about being right. God drat it if this movie gets a sequel and the villain is the Joker I'm gonna scream.

but like I said I'm not totally down on it, like

• I love that the Waynes are presented as flawed but not evil. It's a nice way to split the difference between the saintly Waynes of most other versions of Batman and the corruption of other billionaires in fiction and the the real world heyoooo :rimshot:. Thomas Wayne made a very poorly planned/managed Renewal project that criminals/rat bastards took advantage of, but it seems like he really did want to help the city so I guess he's just a bad businessman/philanthropist instead of an awful person. He wanted Falcone to shut up a journalist, but didn't want him to kill said journalist and when he found out what Falcone had done, was about go to the cops. Anyway, like I said, good way to split the difference between traditional good and realistic bad.
  • All the actors did a great job imo. I could go into detail but I'll just leave it at that. Every actor did a good job with every character, the end.
  • I like the scenes right near the beginning where it shows the power Batman is gaining as a symbol where people start freaking out just seeing the Bat-signal. Superstitious and cowardly criminals just give up and start running because of the chance Batman's coming for them. We always see in these movies that criminals start to fear Batman but it's usually just like, a couple of henchmen freaking when Batman cuts the lights or something, not criminals just being scared of Batman in general.
  • Of course, the one good part of the end where Batman realizes that he needs to be more than just vengeance. He needs to be vengeance, he needs to be the night and he needs to be Batman a symbol of hope as well.

Anyway, 7/10, did not need to be 3 goddamn hours, will watch sequel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Definitely your theater. It’s dark of course because Batman always Batmans at night, but it wasn’t hard to see anything for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Definitely your theater. It’s dark of course because Batman always Batmans at night, but it wasn’t hard to see anything for me.

I kind of suspected. I'm sure I'll give it another shot eventually when it hits HBO Max and I'm sure that'll make it better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The seawall is mentioned during the TV debate at the very start, it stuck out to me because it was a weird worldbuilding detail at the time, in a good way.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Arist posted:

The seawall is mentioned during the TV debate at the very start, it stuck out to me because it was a weird worldbuilding detail at the time, in a good way.

There was also a newspaper on a wall in I think the Mayor’s house with a sub headline mentioning funding issues for the sea wall.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't really think anything of it. New York is getting one and climate change might require many more!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

I didn't really think anything of it. New York is getting one and climate change might require many more!

I feel like 'might' is an unnecessary qualifier there, the only way they don't need more is if they straight-up abandon the city like what's going to happen with Miami and maybe New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I feel like 'might' is an unnecessary qualifier there, the only way they don't need more is if they straight-up abandon the city like what's going to happen with Miami and maybe New Orleans.

I say "might" in case other technology gets used instead, like stilts or some kind of massive Archimedes death ray that burns any approaching water.