Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I wonder how a job in the sausage silo would affect your day-to-day and personal relationships. Like, many years ago I worked in a recycling plant for all of one week before quitting, because the rancid beer created this permeating stink that felt like it followed you around. What I'm saying is, I bet I going home smelling like Vienna sausages every day could make you some friends.

I work IT for a pet food company, so I'm not there often, but when I do get out to the factory I am very popular with dogs for the rest of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

value-brand cereal posted:

I always thought you were supposed to let the vapors kill the animals, and not turn it into an underground oven.

I also thought pouring highly toxic chemicals into the ground where you walk on and regularly spend time around was incredibly stupid and deadly. But what do I know, I've never owned a single house, much less a lawn. Maybe this explains boomer brains. Itns the chemical rot.

It's not 'highly toxic chemicals," it's something like propane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GWBBQ posted:

If you need to blow up burrowing pests, do it like a professional

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

Now I want to see someone bolt on a couple of JATO bottles and start up a ferris wheel like the machine from Contact.

Only 92% effective? That's both lower than I would expect and seems made up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Is this person causing excessive air and water pollution compared with a large aluminum recycling operation? Are the thing she forges safe to use or are they going to poison you and shatter?

How else they gonna make Clifford's food bowl?

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
These places really do exist outside of my fever dreams.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Is this person causing excessive air and water pollution compared with a large aluminum recycling operation? Are the thing she forges safe to use or are they going to poison you and shatter?

She's casting something, forging involves hitting it after.

I've been out of manufacturing for going on a decade so pardon some foggy memory here: We can't know what she's firing the furnace with to answer that, but aluminum cans are usually made from 3003 aluminum IIRC so the aluminum itself is fine. I wouldn't expect them to be of meaningfully different safety than any other aluminum casting, but I haven't given it much thought. That alloy can't be heat treated and I'd think you can't really mechanically work it once cast so it'll be used in the -O condition (as cast). Generally this would be fine. It's hard to know if there are impurities or intermetallics from other alloys that'd cause it to be brittle but I'd be surprised if it shattered from normal use.

Definitely not a safe working environment though, that it a large molten pot of metal she's carrying around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The most poisonous part of that whole situation, I'd imagine, is the fumes from the epoxy coating on the inside of the cans and the paint on the outside burning off.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The most poisonous part of that whole situation, I'd imagine, is the fumes from the epoxy coating on the inside of the cans and the paint on the outside burning off.

Right this is partly what I was getting at. Is it all getting burnt off or is there going to be ashy residue mixed in

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/NpWBAbL.mp4

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Its nice of your mom to order diva cups for the whole family. Tell her I said hi for me, chum.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CarForumPoster posted:

I've been out of manufacturing for going on a decade so pardon some foggy memory here: We can't know what she's firing the furnace with to answer that, but aluminum cans are usually made from 3003 aluminum IIRC so the aluminum itself is fine. I wouldn't expect them to be of meaningfully different safety than any other aluminum casting, but I haven't given it much thought. That alloy can't be heat treated and I'd think you can't really mechanically work it once cast so it'll be used in the -O condition (as cast). Generally this would be fine. It's hard to know if there are impurities or intermetallics from other alloys that'd cause it to be brittle but I'd be surprised if it shattered from normal use.

Definitely not a safe working environment though, that it a large molten pot of metal she's carrying around.

Does the paint on the cans just burn off as they melt, or pool on the top/bottom of the crucible?

e: whoops, hadn't refreshed, someone else asked the same thing

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

We have a park next to some busy locks (although not as busy as those), and it's really nice to sit there and watch all the boats come through.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

GotLag posted:

Does the paint on the cans just burn off as they melt, or pool on the top/bottom of the crucible?

I watch lots of smelting videos and they usually add borax and skim the slag from the top before the casting, so it seems most of the dross either vaporizes or burns to ash.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Metal is much more dense than the organic dross, so simple settling achieves pretty good seperation.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Yeah 3003 is an alloy that doesn't heat treat or age so it's traditionally cold worked which is what then develops its strength and stiffness. Mostly it's used from sheet or extrusions and then rolled or pressed or drawn/deep drawn to get it to final shape and size which cold works it a lot to do thst. A lot of stuff like stamped flatware or bowls or serving dishes (note: that are aluminium, I'll be honest everyone uses 304 stainless these days) are 3003 for that reason.

Honestly as backyard castings go it's not the worst I've seen, the biggest risk I can see there is their moulds getting wet since they're stored outside since it doesn't look like they preheated or dried it before they poured. I suspect as well they'd get porosity on the corners where the bowl changes angle because that's going to be where the metal pulls as it cools I think. Something thet thin is going to be tricky to get to cool towards the riser uniformly.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hiCbK2T-8&t=64s

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That is really neat, I didn't know they stacked in multiple ships at a time. Although to be fair, I've only actually seen smaller river locks in action (also entertaining when a lone canoer showed up and got let through)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

Yep! As other posters have said though this stuff will mostly turn to dross and be carried to the top with the aluminum oxide.

That’s not to say this is a good idea, it’s a risky process and the wrong alloy for making a decent casting but idk if it’s destructively bad in some way. Certainly it takes way less energy to reuse cans straight away than to try to refine bauxite into virgin aluminum.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I'm more concerned that no one has any protection more than a pair of of garden gloves

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm more concerned with how many empty cans they had. Don't they know how bad soda is for you???

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm more concerned that no one has any protection more than a pair of of garden gloves

I dunno, I saw some impressive PPE (Pretty Parasol with Ears).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lady drinks 1400 Coors, lights a fire and proceeds to cast pans.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

what are the colored lights for?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8ehvuUJ.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bertolt rekt posted:

what are the colored lights for?

Looks like it becomes nighttime and the lock illumination lights come on.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://i.imgur.com/V4kz4Ew.mp4

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Many of these are making me irrationally angry, but I def chuckled at the mechanic one oh God I've done that so many times

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 12, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TotalLossBrain posted:

Many of these are making me irrationally angry, but I def chuckled at the mechanic one oh God I've done that so many times

I had to go pick up some large wooden packing cases one time, the old man who moved them from the warehouse to the truck fixed the wooden lids in place by taking wood screws and hammering them in with a huge crescent wrench.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
LOL my wife just dodged a chain link security fence that was left swung open so it blocked a lane of traffic. Sorry I didn't get a pic

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/G82GH4W.mp4

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
I respect her devotion to the concept of monkey-wrenching, but give her an F for both technique and targeting.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The loving HVAC one got me holy poo poo, great stuff under foil tape lmao

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Yep! As other posters have said though this stuff will mostly turn to dross and be carried to the top with the aluminum oxide.

That’s not to say this is a good idea, it’s a risky process and the wrong alloy for making a decent casting but idk if it’s destructively bad in some way. Certainly it takes way less energy to reuse cans straight away than to try to refine bauxite into virgin aluminum.
It takes about 95% less energy to recycle them than to mine and refine.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You mean 95% less energy, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oops

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
drat girl those cans looking too fine to remine.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bauxite takes an absurd amount of electricity to refine, this is an excerpt from an article about aluminum production in the PNW:

quote:

The Columbia River has a key role in the history of aluminum production in America, as the industry was the first major industrial customer of Columbia River hydropower. Over time, the industry grew to employ around 11,000 people in the Northwest and consume 3,150 average annual megawatts of electricity, enough to light three cities the size of present-day Seattle for a year.

Aluminum, however, is very easy to recycle, my girlfriend's in the can-making industry, and they've been unable to keep up with growth over the last three years, from a combination of the pandemic making people drink more beer at home, and companies showing more interest in sustainability (well, greenwashing), cans are being imported by the millions from the Middle East and Brazil.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Watching someone tear down military hardware, and … Panavia Tornado Gr.4 Laser Head LRMTS Mk3 - Part 7: Nd:YAG Laser test

:stare:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

It takes about 95% less energy to recycle them than to mine and refine.

How come my local recycling center doesn’t want dirty aluminum foil? (I put it in my recycling bin anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elviscat posted:

Bauxite takes an absurd amount of electricity to refine, this is an excerpt from an article about aluminum production in the PNW:

I don’t understand the “for a year” part of this section, or maybe I don’t understand the “megawatt” part:

quote:

consume 3,150 average annual megawatts of electricity, enough to light three cities the size of present-day Seattle for a year