Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Listening to Net Jets guys talk about Ukraine in the FBO is melting my brain.

Someone’s talking about agents in Ukraine being CIA sent by Biden to ???

I’m sure it’s fine, this guy was out there doing pattern work near Kyiv last night.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-cpd/#2aeb60b8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
He's just making sure he's current before they blow up the airfield and he loses his chance.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
After a long hiatus due to terrible weather, got back up flying recently and solo’d today! :toot:

Didn’t die, A+ would fly again.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Congrats!

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
:toot: congrats on the solo! Super exciting!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*CIA pilot furiously sweating as he taxis, finger over the transponder 'on' button, unable to remember his procedures*

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

For any of you A&P technicians, my company just switched shifts around on pretty short notice. Is this pretty standard? Like, is this the job anywhere I go, or can I work more reasonable hours somewhere not in GA? My new shift would be 4d/10h from 530am to 3pm, so I’m kinda miffed because this was just put out like, earlier this week but takes effect next week. Plus it’s an hour commute there and back each day, meaning I’m waking my rear end up pretty loving early. Someone tell me that outside of union jobs, there are maintenance techs with young kids working halfway reasonable hours.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Nofeed posted:

After a long hiatus due to terrible weather, got back up flying recently and solo’d today! :toot:

Didn’t die, A+ would fly again.

Congrats! That's super awesome and great time for spring to hit hopefully

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So we ended up stuck for a maintenance thing and I’ve been spending the last few days at the same FBO in the middle of nowhere. Tons of crazy pilots.

Today there’s a Wheels Up guy talking loud poo poo about millennials being lazy right next to me. You’re a 300 pound 45 year old King Air SIC. My lazy rear end generation is lapping you bitch.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I love the lazy millennial trope the olds at my airline like to bring out. I think technically I'm gen x (42) but these guys think millennial=young kid in their late teens/early 20s so I pull the "I'm a millennial am I lazy and entitled?" The backpedaling is always a sight to see.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arson Daily posted:

I love the lazy millennial trope the olds at my airline like to bring out. I think technically I'm gen x (42) but these guys think millennial=young kid in their late teens/early 20s so I pull the "I'm a millennial am I lazy and entitled?" The backpedaling is always a sight to see.

you must be committing arson daily with those burns

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Is it still a taboo to purchase your own type rating? I used to be a professional pilot from the years of 2003-2008, but have left the industry completely for the past 15 years. I have a still-current CFII but no MEI or ATP. I have about 1450 hours logged, including about 400 hours in a turboprop. I'm thinking of purchasing a type-rating, maybe a Learjet, maybe a Citation, maybe a 737, I don't know. The goal is to land a good flying job. Back in the early 2000s, it seemed that there was somewhat of a taboo surrounding paying for your own training, is that still a thing? Since I've been out of it for so long, I don't think I'll ever find a company that will fund my training. Also, whats the best forum for aviation industry discussion? Back in the day, jetcareers was the place to find all the information, but these days that place is a ghost town.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

In the current environment, with that kind of time, you shouldn’t need to buy a type rating. I landed in a Citation a couple months ago with ATP and type ratings paid for with 1450 hours and like 40 hours multi engine.

Maybe at the most spend some time in a piston getting current.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah you don't need a new type rating, just some recent experience. Anyone who hires you is going to put you through training for the type anyway, whether you have it or not.

e: hell from what I saw at a recent expo, if you have strong customer service skills, netjets would probably hire you if you get your ATP

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 10, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Get current and teach for a bit to find your legs again and then apply to literally any regional.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

School of How posted:

Is it still a taboo to purchase your own type rating? I used to be a professional pilot from the years of 2003-2008, but have left the industry completely for the past 15 years. I have a still-current CFII but no MEI or ATP. I have about 1450 hours logged, including about 400 hours in a turboprop. I'm thinking of purchasing a type-rating, maybe a Learjet, maybe a Citation, maybe a 737, I don't know. The goal is to land a good flying job. Back in the early 2000s, it seemed that there was somewhat of a taboo surrounding paying for your own training, is that still a thing? Since I've been out of it for so long, I don't think I'll ever find a company that will fund my training. Also, whats the best forum for aviation industry discussion? Back in the day, jetcareers was the place to find all the information, but these days that place is a ghost town.

Aviation specific forums are a cursed place and should be avoided at all costs. The best forum is this one, or if you want to be one of the cool kids it's associated discord. The discord has active members ranging from pre-solo students to "legacy" airline pilots and everything in between. https://discord.gg/N9Up3VSn

Also, remember that pilot shortage everyone was talking about? It's finally here. If you want to go into the 121 world you would basically have your pick of any regional you wanted. They would be more than happy to pay for your ATP, a type rating, and most will throw in a sign on bonus to boot. Since you'll have to get 50 hours of simulator training at any airline, which counts towards ATP minimums, you probably already have enough hours as is. If you decided to get a type rating on your own before that no one would consider that the least bit taboo.

The only hiccup may be that you have no recent experience. My suggestion would be to contact a local flight school that offers an ATP prep course and describe your situation. Any school/instructor worth their salt should be willing to work with you to get you up to enough proficiency to make it through a regional new hire course. It may also be a good idea to just cold call a regional recruiter and ask what they're looking for in terms of recent experience requirements.

That's if you want to go to an airline. The corporate world is completely different and I don't know enough to speak about it with any authority.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/geoffeg/status/1502089286111350806?t=5GXozNhgisb4fG_fwTBpFA&s=19

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Back in 2012, After an only 4 year hiatus, I tried looking into making an aviation comeback, and it went nowhere fast. At the time I didn't really have the spare cash to buy 20 hours of time or whatever to get myself back into recency. I applied to a few different places, and as soon as they heard that I hadn't flown in over 4 years, then all pretty much hung up on me. I know it's going to be very hard, which is why I think funding my own type rating might be the best path for me. I actually have the cash to fund the type rating, so why not? I should be able to negotiate a higher salary since there is no initial training costs associated with my employment.

At the moment, I'm focusing my research efforts of a CE-500 type rating. The problem is that It seems like all the CE-500 initial type programs require like 2000 hours total time, and 25 hours in type. 25 hours in type for CE-500 is $58K

Here's the thing, for me to go back to aviation, it would be purely a hobby thing. I already have a career in the software industry that pays me a very livable wage. I also work completely remotely, and I think it's totally possible to do both careers at the same time. Since aviation is not a career for me, I want to do it on my terms. I want the ability to walk away from a bad job if I'm treated badly, and I don't want to be bounded by a training contract.

Another idea I've been toying with is purchasing my own CE-500, (which you can get for less that the price of a house), and then operating it as a single pilot part 135 charter operator.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My opinion is to not go straight into your first type rating from a hiatus.

I would focus on finding a good flight school with a Cessna for a bit. You’d be surprised how much important skill carries over from barebones stick-and-rudder into jets. This isn’t just to save you money. I’m saying that part again, I am ignoring the fact that you can easily afford it.

I worked at “Big International Training Place” for awhile and the guys who came in with more money than recent flight experience were the ones who couldn’t recover from an unusual attitude, relate pitch to power and airspeed, etc. They weren’t current enough to fly a 172 and they were crashing the sim as soon as they had an autopilot issue.

You said it yourself, employers are hanging up on you because of recent flight experience. Insurance carriers are going to do the same thing if you try and self employ. Go fall in love with aviation again, then go waltz into jet initial and impress your instructors with how you handled that crosswind on your first go.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I agree with all of Rolo's points.

Secondly,

School of How posted:

Another idea I've been toying with is purchasing my own CE-500, (which you can get for less that the price of a house), and then operating it as a single pilot part 135 charter operator.
You might be able to purchase a CE500 but the cost to operate and maintain will be huge. Add to that the cost of getting a 135 operation certificate as well as insurance (if you can even find a company that will insure someone with no turbine time or time in type) and it'll become unreasonably high fast.

I'd recommend finding existing part 91/135 operators and asking about contractor positions as it'll probably fit in with your existing job more easily. Depending on the contract they may even pay for your Citation or King Air type. If you're set on getting a type rating, a CE525 type might be better as it gives you a ton of flexibility.

e: I talked to a local 135 operator a while back and if you decided to join as a contractor you have to pay for your type and recurrent. However, they would agree to pay up to half of the cost depending on how much you dropped your hourly rate. This might be an option worth exploring.

All that said, I still think you should get back in a piston single and knock the rust off.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 11, 2022

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Charter is a tough, tough business. And only owning and operating one plane can be difficult when you have maintence issues and needy clients.

If you want to go that way it may be better to find a business or individual looking to buy a jet and then manage and fly it for them part 91.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Two Kings posted:

Charter is a tough, tough business. And only owning and operating one plane can be difficult when you have maintence issues and needy clients.

If you want to go that way it may be better to find a business or individual looking to buy a jet and then manage and fly it for them part 91.

I have a close family friend who does his own single 135 operation as a retirement job. Flying is part time but managing the business is a completely separate, worse job. He pulls it off because he wants to give the time to it but I can't imagine running a 135 op as someone who either relies on the income or does it on the side of something else.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

can you go into how you expect to get clients for your single man, single plane, likely uninsurable part 135 hobby operation?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Here is the plan so far for me to get back into aviation: First I will approach my local flight school and purchase a 10 hour block of time in a C172. I will start with flying with an instructor to get back in currency. Aftwer that I think I might start on my MEI, which I have been wanting to do for years. That has to be done by this upcoming October when my next CFI renewal is due. After that it seems I'll have to time build in order to get enough time to get a jet type rating. So now I'm thinking maybe I pay for a C208 "type rating", and then approach C208 operators to let me work for them to get my hours built up to a point where I can get a jet type.

The reason why I'm leaning towards C208 is because they are ubiquitous, and I think my hours I have now make me eligible for the training programs.

As to the issue of "pilot shortage". I am definitely skeptical. I am willing to believe there is an actual shortage, but at this time I'm not convinced. They say the same thing about the software industry "There is a shortage of programmers, companies are DESPERATE to hire programmers. If you're even a half way decent programmer, you're going to be FLOODED with job offers" In my experience, it just isn't true. Its very possible I'll pay to get current with C208 training completed, and I'll still get ghosted by every single 208 operator worldwide. Whats the most compelling evidence that a pilot shortage is actually happening?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

School of How posted:

Whats the most compelling evidence that a pilot shortage is actually happening?

The major legacy airlines, where most pilots dream of ending up, are lowering their minimum requirements to work there. Regionals are increasing hiring bonuses and introductory pay when it used to be poverty wages. People are getting job offers right into low cost carriers with no 121 experience and below-minimum posted requirements.

School of How posted:

At the moment, I'm focusing my research efforts of a CE-500 type rating. The problem is that It seems like all the CE-500 initial type programs require like 2000 hours total time, and 25 hours in type. 25 hours in type for CE-500 is $58K

I'll have to time build in order to get enough time to get a jet type rating

You’ve mentioned type rating time requirements twice so I think there’s a little confusion as to what FAR 61.64 wants, which is normal because it’s confusing as hell.

Check out the regs further down in the same section. IF you don’t have the large requirements in turbojet airplanes etc etc, you can get a Supplemental Operational Experience limitation tied to your first type rating, that you can then wipe out with 25 hours of non-PIC flying with a typed PIC. This is how people get type ratings and go into jet jobs as soon as they get their ATP. Hell, I got a Citation type way before I hit my 1500 hours and after those 25 hours was logging jet PIC because it was a part 91 job.

Once you hit that magic 1500, time is just to get in with a company that buys you a type and insures you to fly their expensive airplanes. Then when they start acting lovely you can take your type and give em da finga.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

School of How posted:

Here is the plan so far for me to get back into aviation: First I will approach my local flight school and purchase a 10 hour block of time in a C172. I will start with flying with an instructor to get back in currency. Aftwer that I think I might start on my MEI, which I have been wanting to do for years. That has to be done by this upcoming October when my next CFI renewal is due. After that it seems I'll have to time build in order to get enough time to get a jet type rating. So now I'm thinking maybe I pay for a C208 "type rating", and then approach C208 operators to let me work for them to get my hours built up to a point where I can get a jet type.

The reason why I'm leaning towards C208 is because they are ubiquitous, and I think my hours I have now make me eligible for the training programs.

As to the issue of "pilot shortage". I am definitely skeptical. I am willing to believe there is an actual shortage, but at this time I'm not convinced. They say the same thing about the software industry "There is a shortage of programmers, companies are DESPERATE to hire programmers. If you're even a half way decent programmer, you're going to be FLOODED with job offers" In my experience, it just isn't true. Its very possible I'll pay to get current with C208 training completed, and I'll still get ghosted by every single 208 operator worldwide. Whats the most compelling evidence that a pilot shortage is actually happening?

don't pay for a loving type rating jesus loving christ

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

There is no reason to pay for a type rating. The only operations that will require you pay for a type rating are exactly the kind of people you will regret working for.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Animal posted:

There is no reason to pay for a type rating. The only operations that will require you pay for a type rating are exactly the kind of people you will regret working for.

But here's the thing. Even companies that are willing to pay for your training may also not be worth working for. Back in 2008 I worked for a part 135 cargo carrier that was absolutely not worth working with. Since they paid for my initial training, I was bound to work for them. This time around, I don't want to be bound to a lovely company. I want to be able to walk away no strings attached at any time. Paying for my own training, allows me to do that. I have the money to do it myself, so why not? After I've been with the company for some time and I know how honest they are, then I'll let them pay for my re-currency.
ll

School of How fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 12, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The industry today is nothing like it was back in 2008. But it seems like you convinced yourself that you wanna pay for a type rating, so just pay for a type rating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'm watching this from the sidelines because I am just a PPL, but your situation doesn't really make sense to me. My understanding of it is:

- you have a (very) high paying job in the software industry right now -- high enough to consider spending $60,000 buying yourself a type rating in a jet, and even to consider purchasing a jet to start running your own charter operation.

- you had a flying job in the past, but your employers were not good, and that left a bad taste in your mouth re. contracts and obligations to the company

- you want to get back into flying, but you only want to do it as a hobby so that you can walk away if the employer is bad, and you also want to keep your existing software job.

- but you specifically want to be flying jets, not just doing part time flight instruction, or something else that would get you in the air while making a few bucks on the side. The C208 is a stepping stone to a jet.

To be blunt: why would an employer hire you if you only want to fly as a hobby, have a second job that you're going to do simultaneously, and intend to walk away if anything isn't to your liking? Smacking down a type rating on the table isn't going to blow their minds.

If you just want to fly jets on your own whims, go buy a jet and a type rating and fly it on your own whim, but it doesn't sound like a great career decision.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 13, 2022

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Animal posted:

The industry today is nothing like it was back in 2008. But it seems like you convinced yourself that you wanna pay for a type rating, so just pay for a type rating.

I will make the final decision to buy a type rating after I finish MEI training which will be this summer. Until then I am willing to be convinced that not paying for my own training is the way to go. The type rating is part of the long term plan. Owning and operating a jet is aspiration, and part of a multi-year plan.

School of How fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 13, 2022

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Smacking down a type rating on the table isn't going to blow their minds.

I think it should. Not everyone who enrolls in training makes it through. The company loses if you flunk out of training. If I've already passed, then that risk goes away. If I leave the company after just a few weeks, the company is not out anything because they were never "in" on anything in the first place.

School of How fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 13, 2022

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
guys i hate to break it to you but forums poster how!!! may not be worth engaging with, he was infamous in the yospos bitcoin thread for being either one of the most dense earnest coiners ever or a very dedicated long-con troll, most likely the latter

he's been through a few name changes and possibly accounts, but i'm p. sure it's the same guy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

School of How posted:

I think it should. Not everyone who enrolls in training makes it through. The company loses if you flunk out of training. If I've already passed, then that risk goes away. If I leave the company after just a few weeks, the company is not out anything because they were never "in" on anything in the first place.

Are type ratings a wow-factor, or just a proof of wallet? The employer is gonna do it anyway, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was going to joke that you should do it, it worked Bruce Dickinson but apparently he with all the Iron Maiden frontman money still got his ATPL, 757/767 and 747 type ratings working for airlines.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
literally zero companies will give one iota of a gently caress if you’ve got a type rating you paid for right now

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

literally zero companies will give one iota of a gently caress if you’ve got a type rating you paid for right now

the only ones who could care are the very bottom of the barrel ones that can’t afford to pay for type ratings, or who’s boomer owners are so committed to the right wing pick yourself by your bootstraps ideal that they rather implode than pay for someone’s training (they exist)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

the only ones who could care are the very bottom of the barrel ones that can’t afford to pay for type ratings, or who’s boomer owners are so committed to the right wing pick yourself by your bootstraps ideal that they rather implode than pay for someone’s training (they exist)

Oof this one reminds me of the one job I left without giving notice.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Alright devil’s advocate, there’s almost certainly contract work to be had with an ATP and a C-500 or similar type rating. With 1500 hours and no real time in type probably in the like $500/day range as an FO. This would depend greatly on knowing the right people.

To get any work as a 135 PIC, most of the charter brokers are still looking for like 3000TT/1000 multi turbine. Not to mention the nightmare that would be getting a commercial operator certificate from the FAA on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dear God, the talk of buying a type rating reminds me of a dude I went to school with when I started down the pilot pipeline. Unlike How, this dude had like 3 hours TT and was one of those people who had a serious case of Shiny Jet Syndrome. The problem for him was he thought that, by paying for a 737 type rating, he'd be able to get on with Widget or Citrus as soon as he got his ratings (back in the pre-1500 hour days).

I told him "You're not going to have the time they want, among many other things (points at hiring pages)."

"But they're going to be really impressed that I took the initiative to pay for a type rating!" :downs:

"CRJ or ERJ. Pick your poison."

"But I'll have earned a type early and (really dumb ideas which only made sense in his head)!" :downs:

I think the thing that finally shut him down was every 737 operator in the US required a Bachelor's.

He eventually ended up in flight ops for Citrus and, later, The Airline That Bought Citrus Just To Kill Them (are we still doing the cryptic name thing in a serious or sarcastic manner?).

Unrelated, please observe :ussr: airlines changing regs on their planes so the repo men from Bermuda don't seize them:
https://twitter.com/BobFranklin3/status/1503112648174575617