Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All the Armored Core robots are quite large, so they don't really qualify for the Little Things thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah lol like

I'm glad you're enjoying Elden Ring, and I like seeing people talking about jellyfish friends, but my experiences with Dark Souls have been short, brutish, and nasty, so I'll probably give this a pass.

I want to be playing Forbidden West, but I've hosed up my back and I'm off work and I'm worried about spending the money, so.

I suppose I could dust off Bloodborne and see if I'm any better at it now.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

credburn posted:

PYF little things in Elden Ring

the rolling goats!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

credburn posted:

PYF little things in Elden Ring

no one whines when you nerds talk about fallout for pages at a time but when it's a souls people get so mad lmao

my favorite little thing in elden ring is the rusted anchor, a weapon i found within the first hour or two and proceeded to use nothing else for the rest of the game. something about beating up beasts and demigods with an old anchor just spoke to me more than anything else. elden ring owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phy posted:

I suspect this thread has become that every time a from software game has dropped

Well at least since dark souls, I doubt anyone posted little things in games about Armored Core 5

My favorite little things in Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day is that you are effectively playing as one of the piece of poo poo trash robots you kill in one hit (Normals) in Armored Core 4 and For Answer because technology has regressed and the actual playable robots, NEXTs, were killing the planet. This is basically just the premise of the game, but the little thing about it I appreciate is that Verdict Day's final boss, a reverse engineered and rebuilt White Glint, the iconic AC for For Answer, cannot be hurt by you because its weapons and armor are vastly outstrip you, since again, you are the thing it used to kill in one or two shots in a fraction of a second. You have to wait for it to shed its energy shielding in the emp attack that it could do in For Answer to hurt it, because in that game it lowered defenses also.

Knocking it into phase two even has it do White Glint's cool pose when it gets shot out of the sky and spins around in the intro video of the game where it pretends to die for a second then reactivates.

Too bad about everything else about those two games though.

My favorite little thing about For Answer that almost no one knows because there's no reason to do this is that the end of the game revolves around using an anti-satellite cannon to blow up a swarm of satellites attacking anything at a certain altitude, to prevent space-based or high orbit superiority. There are at least two missions that take place in the upper atmosphere - if you fly high enough, you can see them start to attack you until you go back down. The operator starts panicking because the satellites are supposed to be a secret and she has no idea they exist at that point in the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yP5Dxl9NM

"Attack!? from outside of atmosphere!?"
"What the HELL are they?"
"The...sky is FILLED with unmanned weapons..."
"Fall back right now! Quick!"

e: You can see them again on a second mission attacking each other, too

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Mar 9, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
A fun thing I discovered in Eldin Ring are these blue, ethereal trees that will summon a golden zombie phantom that will lead you to some secret - usually a mini dungeon.

I found one when I was playing last and it led me all around this area for a couple of minutes until it finally got me to the destination. The fun part comes from all the signs I encountered while following the zombie, since it literally shambles the entire time it's leading you. "Time for old codger..." and "Try running!"

It made a potentially tedious game of follow the leader be rather entertaining.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Was it on purpose that they gave it a title that makes one think of an old man's arsehole?

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

Was it on purpose that they gave it a title that makes one think of an old man's arsehole?

I think that might be a "you problem"

Another elden ring favorite: the weird little waddle run you do when dashing while crouched.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am really enjoying Sea of Thieves. So much of it is just floating around with my girlfriend fight skeletons and trying our best to grab more things. It's really sweet.

The little thing I like is how the sound is so interesting and how the lack of hud makes things more fun to play with.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Mar 9, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brandfarlig posted:

There's usually a "I did it!" after a boss but after a boss that receives a lot of hate from some people (Radahn) I saw a "I did it! but hole". That added level of gently caress this boss is pretty good.

My favorite message I ever left was in DS2, I think.

“Praise the sun! but hole”

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I love messages so much, they've always been one of my favorite little features of the games. yes there's a few billion tired identical "try jumping" and "try fingers but hole" messages, and I still read every one I see because you can find some absolute gems hidden in there and the creativity of what people can come up with under the message format limitations is still surprising

a few of my favorites so far in elden ring:

I like to imagine GRRM wrote those messages.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I am really enjoying Sea of Thieves. So much of it is just floating around with my girlfriend fight skeletons and trying our best to grab more things. It's really sweet.

The little thing I like is how the sound is so interesting and how the lack of hud makes things more fun to play with.

My favorite thing about Sea of Thieves is the water, have not witnessed a game with water looking so beautiful and natural

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Triarii posted:

The message meme culture is so dumb and I love it. As soon as I started walking around in a wet, marshy area I thought "time for crab?" and then read a message on the ground and it said "time for crab" and then a giant crab erupted out of the ground.

People seem to have decided that "no horse ahead" is short for "there's nothing good/useful/interesting this way".

I like "be wary of pincer attack" as a warning for giant crabs.

e:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

By a large windmill: could this be a giant? Visions of mounted combat.

also by a large windmill: "Ah, fire... and then No poison ahead"

Red Minjo has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Mar 9, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think my best rated comment was in front of Andre the smith

Left arm ahead and also
Right arm ahead

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Red Minjo posted:

also by a large windmill: "Ah, fire... and then No poison ahead"

lol damnit, I saw that message and couldn't figure out what it was referring to, but I just now got the reference.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

By a large windmill: could this be a giant? Visions of mounted combat.

This is the best message, we can all stop now

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Now that we've had a soulsborne where you fight an armoured core, can we have an AC game where you fight this tiny rear end in a top hat with a sword who keeps running between your feet?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

An important aspect of the soulsborne games is that they were originally designed out of love for western RPGs, but from an outsider's perspective who is not 100% familiar with the themes and language and needs to collaborate with others to fully understand what's going on and what to do. The messaging system is designed that way to allow you to leave hints or warnings, but purposefully limiting your vocabulary so you can't say "There's an armored boar enemy that is weak to backstabs" but can say "try pig backstab"

It makes it so one message that is helpful can give a hint, and it can be reinforced through additional hints that might give more context

This is incredibly condescending. Japan has been making "western" RPGs for longer than the west has. From themselves have put out more kings field games then there were wizardry games. They aren't trying to adapt some western concept into a Japanese game with the message system, they're bringing all the hints and jokes that you'd find on a BBS or a forums back in the day into the game itself.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Brian Worms posted:

the rolling goats!

I call them tumblesheep

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Gaius Marius posted:

This is incredibly condescending. Japan has been making "western" RPGs for longer than the west has. From themselves have put out more kings field games then there were wizardry games. They aren't trying to adapt some western concept into a Japanese game with the message system, they're bringing all the hints and jokes that you'd find on a BBS or a forums back in the day into the game itself.

OP is referring to how Miyazaki was inspired to create the obscure and obtuse worlds of the souls games as an attempt to recreate the feeling he had trying to piece together western DnD games without knowing the language

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ya it's straight up paraphrasing Miyazaki on his intent for those games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wasn't it watching western movies?

E: so close, it was reading western books

quote:

Miyazaki grew up poor in Shizuoka, a hundred miles southwest of Tokyo. As a child, he couldn’t afford books of his own; at the library, he borrowed English fantasy and science fiction that he didn’t understand, imagining stories that might accompany the pictures.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Mar 10, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phigs posted:

Ya it's straight up paraphrasing Miyazaki on his intent for those games.

Miyazaki that condescending piece of poo poo :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Tallnecks in Horizon can step on other robots, and it stuns them :3:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Velocity Raptor posted:

A fun thing I discovered in Eldin Ring are these blue, ethereal trees that will summon a golden zombie phantom that will lead you to some secret - usually a mini dungeon.

I found one when I was playing last and it led me all around this area for a couple of minutes until it finally got me to the destination. The fun part comes from all the signs I encountered while following the zombie, since it literally shambles the entire time it's leading you. "Time for old codger..." and "Try running!"

It made a potentially tedious game of follow the leader be rather entertaining.

One of those ghost bastards led me to a giant sleeping bear. :mad:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuddenCactus posted:

he wanted you to pet the dog

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bogmonster posted:

As the legend goes, Dark Souls was originally going to be called "Dark Ring" and then wasn't for exactly this reason. There's also a worryingly plausible yet nonetheless crackpot theory that the Dark Sign actually for real represents a butthole and humanity in Dark Souls is out and out excrement.

Sure, Manus means "hand" in Latin and the father of humanity does indeed have a big messed up hand, but it IS also a portmanteau of "man" and "anus"....

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

2house2fly posted:

IIRC this is also why those games don't have Japanese voice acting at all, they're all VA'd in English regardless of version. Not counting Sekiro obviously.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

lol if you immediately didn’t YOLO into the chamber he’s guarding and cower in fear waiting for it to deaggro.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

SuddenCactus posted:

Those phantoms seem to enjoy taking the scenic route when heading towards their destination - usually routing through several enemy patrol areas and you can’t really switch focus to fight enemies or the phantom will be gone.

Of course you can just look at the map to see where the nearby cave is but where’s the fun in that.

Last Celebration posted:

lol if you immediately didn’t YOLO into the chamber he’s guarding and cower in fear waiting for it to deaggro.

I actually killed that bear/tiger/wolf thing because he’s a lot more interested in sleeping than the others. Where the other ones will run you down (even on horseback), mr snoozy bear is more interested in sleeping and will de-aggro quickly and return home if you get too far away. I used hit and run tactics with the horse and a heavy weapon and whittled it down.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Mar 10, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It's been years since I read the interview, but it makes more sense that it was books for how far back the From catalog does go. It's always been one of my favorite little details about the development process because it reminds me of having to collectively gather knowledge about a game between my friends and I to figure out what the gently caress is going on in our video games. Or not understanding parts but filling in the gaps with our own theories and speculation, which can end up in something else I'm creating later.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Back in Dark Souls 2, there was an area that had a hallway closed off by fallen rocks. You could see the other side and could get there by going around another way, but you couldn't squeeze through. Someone left a message there that said "fatty" and I was so owned I actually got upset lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm in love with these himbos in the Strangers of Paradise demo that talk about killing Chaos half the time and grunt at each other the other half.

"Hey Jack you could smile you know."
<grunt>
"Oh hey, so glad to see you!"
<grunt>
<grunt in response>

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally beat the second boss in Nioh. Something fun with the game is that there is no one strategy to carry you through boss fights as they are all very different, like some Souls games have really strong magic that can quickly kill anything. Nioh's bosses behaviours ensure that just because something works on one boss, doesn't mean it'll be any use of another. For example, the living blade technique is really good but sometimes you have to be careful with it. The first boss you can just wail on with it, although you have to be mindful of when it's about to run out or he'll punish you, but the second boss is a vampire. She has a grapple attack that can leach your health. If you are using the living blade and aren't careful you'll only get a few seconds of easy damage before she grabs you and just EATS you living blade, draining the timer like it was a health meter (as the timer replaces the health and stamina meters as you are temporarily invulnerable).

Also in doing so I've unlocked a new guardian spirit that I can join with if I like, so that's nice.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

As the legend goes, Dark Souls was originally going to be called "Dark Ring" and then wasn't for exactly this reason. There's also a worryingly plausible yet nonetheless crackpot theory that the Dark Sign actually for real represents a butthole and humanity in Dark Souls is out and out excrement.

Sure, Manus means "hand" in Latin and the father of humanity does indeed have a big messed up hand, but it IS also a portmanteau of "man" and "anus"....

Of course Freude was a Souls fan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I picked up Cruis'n Blast, it's just a silly little arcade racer but I appreciate its dedication to having bonkers background setpieces and weird vehicles. I just raced through a dinosaur world in my attack helicopter and it was very entertaining.
Also, the helicopter still had engine revving and tire screech sound effects along with a working horn, which somehow made it even better :buddy:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John Murdoch posted:

so does that mean in ds3 if you go with the secret ending and marry anri you are walking around with five extra buttholes on you or what

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

wouldn't be the first terrible transformation in the series

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Going Hollow refers to your lower intestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh, even having done the Lord of Hollows ending I still don't really understand what any of it means. But I will say DS3 gave me pause when I got to the Ringed City and the dude that "welcomes" you at the very beginning refers to it as a latrine. :tinfoil: