Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So it seems clear to me that:

Grandma robots are responsible for the devolution of humans on this planet as a preservation mechanism against Sol. Better to have humanity continue as murder apes and acid mermaids than complete extinction i guess? Perhaps the acid mermaid took the baby because it remembers being human in some terrible way?

I could be remembering incorrectly but I think in s1 Father also mentioned that the creatures were like de-evolved humans. The pit creature that they analyzed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"not evolved... DEvolved!"

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
This last episode has me all-in. I really, really hope this show gets a third season. I'm having way too much fun for it to be over in one more episode.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Yeah, I actually pre-ordered the series 1 blu-ray to hopefully give a little nudge. I never do stuff like that and if they don't renew I'll cancel it :evilbuddy:.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Did we ever get an explanation for what made the dude in episode 1 explode? I first thought 'maybe Necromancers have Bad Blood' but then Sue helped Lamia with her bleeding/lactating earlier, and just wiped up her blood with a cloth that she was holding in an ungloved hand, and Sue didn't pop. Maybe if you put your hands inside one, something happens (dark photons!) and you explode.

I'm also like ???? about 'don't look at me', where Markus and Paul looked at Lamia while she was in necromancer form, fighting the snake, and they were both fine. Is it just "don't look into her necromancer eyes", since she was facing away from them? But then what about when she killed the AI and assaulted the Atheist compound right after she got her eyes back. All of the troops were facing her and looking at her (I think they might have had visors on though?). Some exploded but that was due to her shout.

I also want to know what is up with that silver skin of theirs. Does the spaceship just have a bunch of replacements? They've had multiple cuts into those suits, and then they just reappear with fixed suits later on.

And finally, to explain 'why is everyone so blase about it', well people just shut everything out and concentrate on eating and sleeping and working, when poo poo goes bonkers. See the last few years for reference.

edit: I also find it weird that Grandmother says her priotity is to preserve humans/humanity, but she hasn't left father's room at all yet. She's just chilling doing nothing at all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I could be remembering incorrectly but I think in s1 Father also mentioned that the creatures were like de-evolved humans. The pit creature that they analyzed.

Pretty sure the explicitly mention they have human DNA, which made it worse they were eating the creatures.

Thinking back too that the crops they were eating in S1 would only grow where the snake bones were and the plants were radioactive, a nod to the snakes' droid origins.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Pretty sure the explicitly mention they have human DNA, which made it worse they were eating the creatures.

Yea that seems familiar and makes more sense.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

redreader posted:

Did we ever get an explanation for what made the dude in episode 1 explode?

Sorta? There’s a creature feature rundown of the snek from one of the concept artists and he says how it was borrowed from a dropped concept from Prometheus.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redreader posted:

edit: I also find it weird that Grandmother says her priotity is to preserve humans/humanity, but she hasn't left father's room at all yet. She's just chilling doing nothing at all.

I don't think she's referring to people from earth when she says "humanity"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SirPablo posted:

Thinking back too that the crops they were eating in S1 would only grow where the snake bones were and the plants were radioactive, a nod to the snakes' droid origins.

I thought that was the one parkour guy that died at the end of the season. I don't recall them saying the other critters were human, although the tooth scene from a couple episodes ago connects those dots.

quote:

I'm also like ???? about 'don't look at me', where Markus and Paul looked at Lamia while she was in necromancer form, fighting the snake, and they were both fine. Is it just "don't look into her necromancer eyes", since she was facing away from them? But then what about when she killed the AI and assaulted the Atheist compound right after she got her eyes back. All of the troops were facing her and looking at her (I think they might have had visors on though?). Some exploded but that was due to her shout.
I chalk the "don't look" thing up to superstition of sorts. The eyes power Mother's godzilla breath but otherwise seem irrelevant as a threat. I guess in a way if you can see her eyes then you're kinda by definition in the mouth killzone.

quote:

And finally, to explain 'why is everyone so blase about it', well people just shut everything out and concentrate on eating and sleeping and working, when poo poo goes bonkers. See the last few years for reference.
Eh, the giant flying snake in a cave should be a huge loving deal even in a crisis. Hell, the Trust getting killed should have caused some sort of riots or otherwise much larger instability in the short term, but they just don't seem to care even though it was presumably keeping them from dying horribly. But it's clear the show isn't interested in Space Colony as a subject (and has seemingly largely abandoned S1s parenting/droid evolution themes). One thing that could fill in a lot is an episode about the rise of the Mithraics on Earth - for all we know the ancient writings had full descriptions of acid mermaids and a map to Keplar. Presumably that's where written English was abandoned for cubiform.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wonder if Mother's necromorph skin is acid proof

We're definitely seeing what's on the other side of that tunnel in the acid water

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Zachack posted:

I thought that was the one parkour guy that died at the end of the season.

Yea I think you're right on that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I still think there’s gonna be some big reveal where we find out that the whole Sol signal to Earth and Mithraism in general will be a causality loop based on time dialated future human ancestors of the current human refugees based on Kepler-22b.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I hope there is a season 3 so the writers can afford thier obviously copious drug habit

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I keep forgetting this show isn’t Apple plus and could get the chop at any moment

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

I keep forgetting this show isn’t Apple plus and could get the chop at any moment

When are we likely to know if it got renewed or not?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Despera posted:

I hope there is a season 3 so the writers can afford thier obviously copious drug habit

they're probably writing it off as a business expense and they're right

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Doctor Jeep posted:

they're probably writing it off as a business expense and they're right

I caught an interview with the creator (Aaron Guzikowski) on Fresh Air when I was driving the other day and he seemed...very level headed and normal? I was expecting a hosed up Tim Burton little shrew snake loving demon baby merman guy, but alas.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

*gesticulating wildly at a conspiracy board that has papers marked "messed up alien pregnancy" "milky robots with ulterior motives" "crash landing on hostile alien planet" and "engineered human evolution"*

This Guzikowski guy is clean and we're all outta leads!!!!!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zachack posted:

I thought that was the one parkour guy that died at the end of the season. I don't recall them saying the other critters were human, although the tooth scene from a couple episodes ago connects those dots.

Father wonders that out loud at some point after they find out there used to be a human-like civilization, maybe after they get a look at the big guy? There are softer clues running up to it like their meat tasting like pork.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
pumpkin snake eating real tree-mom and becoming a blade runner makes perfect sense.

love a show that doesn't bother with questions and only gives answers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

lynch_69 posted:

Best two lines of the episode:

"It is not a mother, it is a well fed male."

and

"You think Campion's hosed up by being raised by androids, how do you think this is gonna work out?"

Father's :iceburn: on the headless droid was better: "Your medallion didn't need maintenance to be useless."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope the show ends on a scene of father doing open mic stand up comedy

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Is anybody here from... Kepler 22b?

*Audience whoos*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The audience is acid mermen drinking margaritas to satisfy the two drink minimum requirement.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just T-Posed in, and boy are my eyes tired

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BONE APETITE

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CODChimera posted:

it feels like we're getting dangerously close to knowing "whats going on" so I think there's gonna be at least one game changer in the season finale

We’ve already known the basics for a while. S2:E7 is just the point where Grandma helps the audience catch up if they haven’t already figured it out.

The show is otherwise extremely diligent about having the characters immediately drop a quick line explaining what they’re doing and thinking after anything happens. (It’s mildly annoying once you notice it.)

lynch_69 posted:

I'm still surprised none of the characters seem even slightly perturbed that the planet they landed on HAS THREE DIFFERENT SENTIENT SPECIES OF HUMANOIDS and ANDROIDS EXTREMELY SIMILAR to the ones they brought from Earth. I get why the Mithraics accept it all as Sol's plan but even the atheists don't seem to care all that much.

It’s less that they don’t care, and more that there’s nothing they can really do with that information. They have a warehouse full of trinkets and some ape-mans wandering around.

That being said, only a handful of people seem to know about Grandma and the surviving keplarians.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

lynch_69 posted:

I'm still surprised none of the characters seem even slightly perturbed that the planet they landed on HAS THREE DIFFERENT SENTIENT SPECIES OF HUMANOIDS and ANDROIDS EXTREMELY SIMILAR to the ones they brought from Earth. I get why the Mithraics accept it all as Sol's plan but even the atheists don't seem to care all that much.

They are probably more worried about the giant weaponized snake. I'm sure there will be time to ponder the acidic mermens once they no longer risks being liquefied.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Really thinking that grandmother's veil is actually a containment device. Once mother removes it, she will free grandmother and entomb herself. S3 is grandmother and father wacky adventures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Considering their willingness to just lay everything out on the table this season, especially in the last episode I'm worried season 3 isn't going to be a thing. HBO usually proudly announces a new season being picked up after the season premiere of a show.

At the same time I think they could do a perfectly fine job of wrapping everything up in the next episode if they have to. Really the only things that need to happen are some sort of closure on Sol, destruction, confrontation, submission or whatever. Deal with Goku snake somehow, and then wrap up what the characters will do. For all of the people feeling the show is some "mystery box" I feel like it's a pretty simple show and most of the weirdness is just weird cause that's how the show is. The actual hanging plot threads are pretty minimal. Everything else is just fantasy technology which is fine as is and doesn't even need to be explained.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also in season 1 I jokingly called that rapist guy a Dark Souls NPC, but after two seasons I have gone from thinking that was probably a coincidence to thinking that people involved in this show 100% play Dark Souls and wanted to apply that style of world building to a TV show.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Does anyone else think Tempest looks like a cartoon character that is a piece of brocoli?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ogarza posted:

Does anyone else think Tempest looks like a cartoon character that is a piece of brocoli?

I have a lot of confusing feelings about this post and none of them are good.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Dark photons and weaponized giant snakes are fine but goons draw a hard line at tactical realism of hairstyles and night lighting being different from us … in the future … on an alien planet.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Really thinking that grandmother's veil is actually a containment device. Once mother removes it, she will free grandmother and entomb herself. S3 is grandmother and father wacky adventures.

Yeah I also think she is lying and tricking mother

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CODChimera posted:

Yeah I also think she is lying and tricking mother

It’s not a trick; the veil does exactly what it appears to do: dehumanize the wearer so they can face to bloodshed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sue turning into a tree at the end of last episode and then said tree being eaten in the next episode is really something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still holding out that Sue is gonna be A-ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still holding out that Sue is gonna be A-ok

Sue shows up to a sobbing Paul and Marcus.

“drat, that was weird, the seed sank into me and then I started digging and then I threw up the seed in the hole and started walking back here. What’s been up with you guys?”

The walkie-talkie is never explained.