Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to reading this, Mirko having a vending machine full of spare parts nearby was hilarious, Shiggy’s new form is legitimately unsettling (though he’s currently reaching Madara Uchiha levels of being overpowered), and I’m looking forward to seeing how the Deku/Toga encounter goes

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This chapter brought to you by being written into corners by both Aizawa's and Shigaraki's base quirks. If either worked the way it should then the manga would be boring. Unfortunately even with all of the contrivances it's still boring. Please just cut away to wherever Deku is because that's the only place where anything of importance will happen.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mymla posted:

Gonna be very disappointed if this setup doesn't result in Deku and Toga dating

I think you mean Toga and Ochako dating.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They can be a throuple

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Ding dong, 1pm, time for new Vigilantes
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-121/chapter/24157?action=read

Literally fighting fire with fire. What could go wrong?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vigilantes: I get why people are feeling fatigued, but man, this is some good poo poo. If this was any less amazing I'd share in that fatigue, but I'm seriously loving this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gamemaster anthony-rear end finale

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vigilantes really is just nailing everything I like about MHA.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
buwha? mirko is alive????? but goons told me she was dead??????????? impossible???????????????? huh hori wtf r u doin????????????????????

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dogsicle posted:

gamemaster anthony-rear end finale

Yeah it owns

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SpacePig posted:

Ding dong, 1pm, time for new Vigilantes
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-121/chapter/24157?action=read

Literally fighting fire with fire. What could go wrong?
Man just get on with it already

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the variety of people being shown you got regular people, you got animal people, you got loving Thomas the Tank Engine.

It really gives this small town some identity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Fight on, crawler.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is fine, it's a role call of people Koichi met throughout the series. Unfortunately that probably means we won't see Tiger Bunny, but you can't have everything.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Did the main series ever say anything about Aizawa not being able to disable Quirks if it's too bright for visual confirmation to register like Vigs just did?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Vigilantes is this Mister Blaster's debut appearance? Does he run barter town?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vigilantes I love that, despite how loved Koichi is around town, most of the people still don't know his name. You can do it Cruller!

Also:

Nonexistence posted:

Vigilantes is this Mister Blaster's debut appearance? Does he run barter town?

He was Eraserhead and Present Mic's classmate from high school, we saw him in the Oboro flashback arc a while back

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JABAM

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Man just get on with it already

Yeah, core MHA's pacing is awkward, but at least it feels like things are happening right now. This is just the same thing over and over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I appreciate the idea of what's going on, but I feel like we've had a loooot of chapters so far that have just been "Koichi dodges Six's attacks set to some neat visual symbolism".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Main and Vigilantes: I like that both series this week had to write excuses around Eraserhead's quirk not instantly solving everything. I guess that's the price of having a quirk that's too good for every situation, but also being too popular to kill off.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, core MHA's pacing is awkward, but at least it feels like things are happening right now. This is just the same thing over and over.

if we can get out of it with this one-two chapter infusion of "everybody's here" then i'll consider it fine, it hasn't nearly reached the level of eye-rolling as the commitment to the hallucinated childhood stuff

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Eraser: My eraser vision isn't working??!?!?
Shigaraki: Haha, this is not a quirk, it is just really fast cancer!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Indiana_Krom posted:

Eraser: My eraser vision isn't working??!?!?
Shigaraki: Haha, this is not a quirk, it is just really fast cancer!

Really fast cancer that makes conservation of mass/energy its bitch. I suppose it's not that far from Shiggy's new super strength also not being a quirk but supposedly natural, but this still feels half baked. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the quirk singularity leading to non-quirk superpowers has even been alluded to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Staltran posted:

Really fast cancer that makes conservation of mass/energy its bitch. I suppose it's not that far from Shiggy's new super strength also not being a quirk but supposedly natural, but this still feels half baked. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the quirk singularity leading to non-quirk superpowers has even been alluded to.

I get the feeling that the idea of the quirk singularity that the fanbase has(i.e. a generational thing where quirks become so powerful through inheritance over time that they cannot be sustained anymore) is different from what Horikoshi has in mind, which seems to be "one person gets super powerful and can beat up all the other quirks".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know people shitposted about "O my seven Quirks" for the longest time, and it is still kind of ridiculous how OP that makes Deku in comparison to his class, but he really didn't need to try and top that with Shigaraki.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I know people shitposted about "O my seven Quirks" for the longest time, and it is still kind of ridiculous how OP that makes Deku in comparison to his class, but he really didn't need to try and top that with Shigaraki.
The Naruto comparisons continue to be accurate.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
For most of MHA, it was naruto, but with most of the problems fixed. Now it's still naruto, but with exactly the same issues naruto's latter half had.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking forward to Shigaraki getting blown up by the Quirk Mother.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No one is Sasuke, but everyone is Naruto.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It kind of feels like the idea of what the Quirk Singularity was drifted from each generation having stronger quirks until a generation is born where the quirks are simply too dangerous, destroying the world, to the idea that All For One is himself the embodiment of the quirk singularity by combining so many quirks inside of himself. Essentially, the Quirk Singularity already happened several generations ago, and AFO is just the leading edge of that trend playing out.

Which might've been an interesting theory to play around with earlier in the story, like maybe talking about AFO less as an individual criminal mastermind with ambition and more as a natural force, more Quirk than man, the inevitable result of quirks multiplying and then coming together in a Big Crunch event. As it stands, it feels like the idea just didn't actually get nailed down to anything in particular and lost any thematic impact it might once have represented.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The other thing is that the audience's understanding of the Quirk singularity is undeniably more compelling, but it kind of necessitates the series actually do something to resolve it, to which there's only one reasonable answer: make the ending get rid of Quirks. That answer, of course, sucks and would be entirely wrong for the kind of series MHA is, not to mention how much groundwork you'd need to do to establish that as something that's even possible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I feel like at one point I was under the impression that All for One and One for All were quirk singularities that would destroy the user once they got too powerful, but was convinced by this thread that the specifics of the doc's theory totally contradicted that. It's kinda funny that I was right and wrong since it turns out the quirk singularity apparently just makes you an akira with no downsides.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think the Quirk singularity is probably the stupidest bit of worldbuilding in the comic and we'd be better off without because it's added literally nothing except the word popping up in events that would be the exact same without it there to explain it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's an interesting theoretical wrinkle when you first hear it for the five seconds before you actually think about it at all, but it's just straight-up a bad plot point. For one, it's really implicitly eugenics-y, and even besides that it just pointlessly complicates things without actually making them deeper. If Quirks are just going to get more and more powerful until the baby that destroys the world by burping is born, what's the story there? Why even bring it up? The characters can't change it, and the narrative isn't actually about it, so it's just weird faux-realism that serves nothing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I distinctly remember the doctor discussing the singularity with someone, how quirks were growing ever more powerful and that All For One was the only one taking it seriously.

Which implies that there was something planned regarding this, and having it just be something about holding a ton of quirks is a retcon to end the series quicker and not have that plot thread hanging over everything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
the strongest quirk baby theory actually made sense to me thematically if the idea was to say that the longer society kept trying to suppress deviant quirks the worse the problem was gonna get, and the way you "solve" it was by moving towards a society that embraced quirks and let people explore them openly. it's actually more like that scene in naruto where obito randomly tells all the kage about the legend of the ten tails

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

the strongest quirk baby theory actually made sense to me thematically if the idea was to say that the longer society kept trying to suppress deviant quirks the worse the problem was gonna get, and the way you "solve" it was by moving towards a society that embraced quirks and let people explore them openly. it's actually more like that scene in naruto where obito randomly tells all the kage about the legend of the ten tails

I'm not sure I follow. If people simply having kids naturally produces more and more powerful quirks, how is embracing quirks and encouraging people to explore them openly going to stop "baby is born and his initial cry levels a city block" or "toddler child awakens super strength and cracks the earth's crust during a tantrum" or "eight year old begins emitting poison gas that kills everyone within a mile"?

If anything I would feel like the exact opposite of openness would be the only way to stop the collapse of society - brutal repression of quirk usage and possible gross eugenics stuff to stop strong quirks from combining. It's not a problem that really has a solution beyond "quirks disappear" or "humanity dies out under the pressure of increasingly powerful demigods being born".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel like far too many people are putting a lot of value on a theory explicitly made by a freaky gross supervillain scientist whose initial support was a narcissistic monster. The quirk singularity theory is something that a guy whose basic scientific pursuit for most of his extended lifespan involved genetically modifying people into mindless gross puppet monsters and who is absolutely ecstatic at the idea of forcibly proving his theory right by creating his so-called quirk singularity. What I’m saying is the doctor seems like a poor primary information source at best.

But also Toga is the baseline example of quirk suppression by society and it did not help her at all, instead it left her as a deranged serial killer with a fetish for shounen protagonists. It is explicit text with her (and also the kids from the Bakugo/Todoroki remedial lessons and also Dabi for that matter) that denying people their powers and self-expression only makes them more liable to lash out even worse and fracture. Actually embracing quirks with limitations and understanding, teaching children how to use them appropriately and responsible, is the only way to deal with increasingly powerful quirks singularity theory or not.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm not sure I follow. If people simply having kids naturally produces more and more powerful quirks, how is embracing quirks and encouraging people to explore them openly going to stop "baby is born and his initial cry levels a city block" or "toddler child awakens super strength and cracks the earth's crust during a tantrum" or "eight year old begins emitting poison gas that kills everyone within a mile"?

If anything I would feel like the exact opposite of openness would be the only way to stop the collapse of society - brutal repression of quirk usage and possible gross eugenics stuff to stop strong quirks from combining. It's not a problem that really has a solution beyond "quirks disappear" or "humanity dies out under the pressure of increasingly powerful demigods being born".

Yeah the issue is it's a plot point with no way to reach conclusion that makes sense or feels like anything other than inevitable eventual death for outside of everyone just losing their quirks, which....feels greatly at odds with the world building and tone for the majority of the comic.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like far too many people are putting a lot of value on a theory explicitly made by a freaky gross supervillain scientist whose initial support was a narcissistic monster. The quirk singularity theory is something that a guy whose basic scientific pursuit for most of his extended lifespan involved genetically modifying people into mindless gross puppet monsters and who is absolutely ecstatic at the idea of forcibly proving his theory right by creating his so-called quirk singularity. What I’m saying is the doctor seems like a poor primary information source at best.

Except for the scenes earlier where multiple not-cackling evil adults talk about each generations quirks seeming stronger because of all the combining and bleeding into one another which is also confirmed what with one of our main 3 being a directed example of this done on purpose. It's not just all from this one dude.