Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
All my friends with both children and cars these days are like "The price of rat poison is off the charts lately! Why won't stupid Brandon go ahead and release the strategic rat poison reserves already so we can stop depending on foreign rat poison? What am I supposed to do? Feed my kids less rat poison? They fuckin love the taste!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'll take Things to Never Say IRL for $800, Alex

It's not a normie-friendly thing to say but it is nonetheless correct

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

shove some nuclear waste in there so the decay makes up for the energy we slurp. nuclear decay is what generated that heat in the first place iirc

I believe a lot of the heat of the earth's core is literally just left over heat from when it was formed. Earth is a hot rock and it's still cooling after all this time

There's undoubtedly a lot of nuclear decay going on down there unleashing more heat though. Also I wonder if the moon is doing anything substantive

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I believe a lot of the heat of the earth's core is literally just left over heat from when it was formed. Earth is a hot rock and it's still cooling after all this time

There's undoubtedly a lot of nuclear decay going on down there unleashing more heat though. Also I wonder if the moon is doing anything substantive

the moon is producing tiny orbs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

moonfall, look it up

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Decades posted:

All my friends with both children and cars these days are like "The price of rat poison is off the charts lately! Why won't stupid Brandon go ahead and release the strategic rat poison reserves already so we can stop depending on foreign rat poison? What am I supposed to do? Feed my kids less rat poison? They fuckin love the taste!"

We just had our first kid, now we need to get rid of our medium-sized SUV and buy a humongous SUV instead!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

moonfall, look it up

its true, recently saw a documentary about this

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

he posted some grossly racist poo poo

an anti-communist turns out to be a racist? shocked

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

T-Paine posted:

It's not a normie-friendly thing to say but it is nonetheless correct

IME, plenty of parents regret having kids and will tell you so outright, even if due to reasons unrelated to biosphere collapse

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Robo Reagan posted:

the moon is producing tiny orbs

these are known as orbits :shobon:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lord Kelvin famously calculated that the earth would be no more than 100 million years old because in that time, the core would have cooled to room temperature, no matter how hot it started.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hubbert posted:

these are known as orbits :shobon:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

the 90s were a simpler time ........

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bits of orb

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bathtub Cheese posted:

IME, plenty of parents regret having kids and will tell you so outright, even if due to reasons unrelated to biosphere collapse

Probably, most parents have kids for absolutely terrible reasons

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

This is wrong, actually! Most of the heat is from radioactive decay of a whole range of isotopes!

Geothermal is nuclear in a sense :haw:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Decades posted:

I need to get a black Chevy Suburban in the desert to cart two children around and there is no other solution to this other than maximum waste.

*poo poo my friends wife actually did

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

shove some nuclear waste in there so the decay makes up for the energy we slurp. nuclear decay is what generated that heat in the first place iirc

and also maybe get the magma since i mean if you're there might as well go for borehole mines; they're like what, +6 mineral and +6 energy?

fun fact I heard that if we drill past the earth’s crust then it would release enough radiation to negate any benefits of disposing of nuclear waste in there. source: a r&d person at a nunclear waste company told me this but I don’t really understand how it could be true

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
why?

also let's be real if we did that it'd be like popping a balloon, obviously

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

kreeningsons posted:

fun fact I heard that if we drill past the earth’s crust then it would release enough radiation to negate any benefits of disposing of nuclear waste in there. source: a r&d person at a nunclear waste company told me this but I don’t really understand how it could be true

thats a new one by me, there's a lot of sound ways to dispose of the stuff that involve burying it very deep in a plate that is undergoing subduction, so a few millennia down the line it'll inevitably be pulled down into the mantle naturally

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

yeah that doesn't seem right

also there's no need to drill beyond the earth's crust, a few hundred meters under solid bedrock is fine if you pick the right spot, it only needs to stay put for a hundred thousand years

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Had a chat with a chuddy but relatively normie family member today and even they're talking a bit of doom over climate and war and the price of goods and such now that gas is a bit more expensive and their business is starting to hurt, even going so far as to allude to end times. Probably not so much in the well-reasoned climate thread end times sense and more in the religious/ "it's impacting me personally now" end times sense, but still, it was the first they've ever sounded like that. Good times ahead

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gas isn't expensive in the US, lmao if he's feeling that The End Is Night because of that. Also shows that chuds really have no clue about anything.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Gas isn't expensive in the US, lmao if he's feeling that The End Is Night because of that. Also shows that chuds really have no clue about anything.

pretty much

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
it will have knock on effects on goods and food and will be used to justify gouging the likes of which we’ve never seen

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Gas is not the issue. Russian oil import is <4% of oil imports for US. Russian potassium fertilizer imports before recently were 96% of potassium fertilizer imports for US.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

skooma512 posted:

it will have knock on effects on goods and food and will be used to justify gouging the likes of which we’ve never seen

Food prices are going to go up regardless if Ukraine can't get in a good farming season lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re bringing in the iron harvest this year.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ikanreed posted:

Lord Kelvin famously calculated that the earth would be no more than 100 million years old because in that time, the core would have cooled to room temperature, no matter how hot it started.

The Protagonist posted:

This is wrong, actually! Most of the heat is from radioactive decay of a whole range of isotopes!

Geothermal is nuclear in a sense :haw:

I decided to look it up because I find this kinda stuff fascinating, and yeah it's currently thought to be about 50/50! Way more contribution from radioactivity than I thought

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_internal_heat_budget

The article also mentions Kevin's calculations but I'm too dumb to understand that bit. It's been far too long since I studied thermodynamics

Speaking of thermodynamics I very much enjoyed that paper about the "earth space battery" (which I finally got around to reading), though the paper didn't seem to give much consideration of incoming sunlight for ongoing survival of humanity which I found a bit odd. I'll have to post again later when I find the link again. I'm sure it's fine (it is an academic paper after all) but I need someone else to explain it to me

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

It's like 10 dollars a gallon here and salaries here are like 1/3 of what they are in the US lmao

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gas is not the issue. Russian oil import is <4% of oil imports for US. Russian potassium fertilizer imports before recently were 96% of potassium fertilizer imports for US.

It's 8% of oil imports.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i had what kids these days call a "shower thought" this morning: would it be possible to measure the amount of CO2 released from all the explosions in the Ukraine-Russia war? if so, would it be a drop in the bucket, or would we actually be able to see a spike in ppm charts?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fame Douglas posted:

It's 8% of oil imports.

Source it up.

Here is mine: https://www.afpm.org/newsroom/blog/oil-and-petroleum-imports-russia-explained

And here you can hear it in their own words:

https://www.twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1468210403469668361

Prices are up because oil execs want them to be up, not because of Russia.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

i had what kids these days call a "shower thought" this morning: would it be possible to measure the amount of CO2 released from all the explosions in the Ukraine-Russia war? if so, would it be a drop in the bucket, or would we actually be able to see a spike in ppm charts?

The degree to which it pales to bombing in Somalia and Yemen and all the bombs dropped by the US throughout MENA is... "funny"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Prices are up because <X> execs want them to be up, not because of <Y>.

Might as well just copy and paste this across all of 2022.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

lol are they really intending to harvest the earth's core

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

it would be a drop in the bucket compared to just the trucks tanks and jets being used in the invasion, which are themselves a drop in the bucket compared to the number of cars/trucks/suvs americans use to commute to work on any given day.

never lose track of the utter vastness of the scale of emissions. no one thing in the news can ever be more than a drop in the bucket. only hundreds of billions of dollars a year spent over decades can bend the curve. (and thats the optimistic view that normally gets laughed out of this thread).

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lol are they really intending to harvest the earth's core

man of steel was a documentary and we are krypton

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i won't support tapping the earth's core unless we can somehow expend most of the energy growing some more loving corn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i won't support tapping the earth's core unless we can somehow expend most of the energy growing some more loving corn

Going to use it to get every last drop of oil