Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Y-1plYJuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

La Brea, huh? Alrighty

Buddy, they won’t even let me Brea

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mediumpun/status/1502085500840022018?cxt=HHwWhMCsvb-zvdgpAAAA

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

some plague rats posted:

What was the good point because the gently caress if I'm going to read that

Any article that starts with "we need to talk about..." it's an absolute guarantee that no, we do not

Maybe this article wasn't the one I was thinking of. But it does cover the episode I was thinking of:

In the seventh episode of season one, ‘48 Hours’, Jake arrests Dustin Whitman (Kid Cudi) - a black man who just got out prison after being arrested by Jake two years ago - for a robbery that matches his M.O. The problem is that Jake has no proper evidence other than his ‘gut feeling’. Because of the lack of evidence, he now only has 48 hours to prove that Whitman did it, if not, Whitman walks.

48 hours pass and the squad got nothing. Everyone is mad at Jake, not only for making them stay overnight to work on his irrational arrest but because he has potentially opened up the precinct for a lawsuit. But just as Whitman and his lawyer are about to leave, Jake has an epiphany and solves the case.

At the end of the day, they always get the guy. This is not the reality. Not only do cases go cold or take several arrests to find the right perp, but an estimated up to 5% of U.S. inmates are innocent of the crimes they are convicted for - this means that potentially over 100.000 people are sitting behind bars for no other reason judicial ‘mistakes’.

Aha, this is the article I was thinking of: https://penrosesun.tumblr.com/post/620369127807254528/more-people-need-to-understand-what-we-mean-when

The episode treats the main character’s behavior as though the problem is that he made work for his coworkers, not that he violated a suspect’s constitutional rights. It’s made very clear that his coworker’s date night is more important than a wrongfully arrested man being confined in a jail cell for two full days.

It is in fact illegal to go on a fishing expedition like the one depicted after detaining a suspect. The “you have 48 hours” rule is meant to give the courts time to hold the required probable cause hearing even when there is a court backlog, not to give the cops a chance to gather evidence. In fact, the SCOTUS case which created the 48 hour hold rule even explicitly says: “This is not to say that the probable cause determination in a particular case passes constitutional muster simply because it is provided within 48 hours. Such a hearing may nonetheless violate Gerstein if the arrested individual can prove that his or her probable cause determination was delayed unreasonably. Examples of unreasonable delay are delays for the purpose of gathering additional evidence to justify the arrest, a delay motivated by ill will against the arrested individual, or delay for delay’s sake.” The main characters are breaking the law, and it’s clear that the policy within their precinct is to break the law.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 12, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
boy I hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's like the cumtown joke about ben shapiro doing all the homework on boy meets world so he could meet me. feeney but for real

Also the season where Brooklyn 99 acknowledges BLM and police corruption is way more cringeworthy than just ignoring it

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
To contribute to good cop shows https://soundcloud.com/streetfightwcrs/reacher-roundtable-a-jack-reacher-podcast

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat, Felix roasted lesbians this episode.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

prefect posted:

Maybe this article wasn't the one I was thinking of. But it does cover the episode I was thinking of:

In the seventh episode of season one, ‘48 Hours’, Jake arrests Dustin Whitman (Kid Cudi) - a black man who just got out prison after being arrested by Jake two years ago - for a robbery that matches his M.O. The problem is that Jake has no proper evidence other than his ‘gut feeling’. Because of the lack of evidence, he now only has 48 hours to prove that Whitman did it, if not, Whitman walks.

48 hours pass and the squad got nothing. Everyone is mad at Jake, not only for making them stay overnight to work on his irrational arrest but because he has potentially opened up the precinct for a lawsuit. But just as Whitman and his lawyer are about to leave, Jake has an epiphany and solves the case.

At the end of the day, they always get the guy. This is not the reality. Not only do cases go cold or take several arrests to find the right perp, but an estimated up to 5% of U.S. inmates are innocent of the crimes they are convicted for - this means that potentially over 100.000 people are sitting behind bars for no other reason judicial ‘mistakes’.

Aha, this is the article I was thinking of: https://penrosesun.tumblr.com/post/620369127807254528/more-people-need-to-understand-what-we-mean-when

The episode treats the main character’s behavior as though the problem is that he made work for his coworkers, not that he violated a suspect’s constitutional rights. It’s made very clear that his coworker’s date night is more important than a wrongfully arrested man being confined in a jail cell for two full days.

It is in fact illegal to go on a fishing expedition like the one depicted after detaining a suspect. The “you have 48 hours” rule is meant to give the courts time to hold the required probable cause hearing even when there is a court backlog, not to give the cops a chance to gather evidence. In fact, the SCOTUS case which created the 48 hour hold rule even explicitly says: “This is not to say that the probable cause determination in a particular case passes constitutional muster simply because it is provided within 48 hours. Such a hearing may nonetheless violate Gerstein if the arrested individual can prove that his or her probable cause determination was delayed unreasonably. Examples of unreasonable delay are delays for the purpose of gathering additional evidence to justify the arrest, a delay motivated by ill will against the arrested individual, or delay for delay’s sake.” The main characters are breaking the law, and it’s clear that the policy within their precinct is to break the law.

whatever man that poo poo’s boring who cares

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

prefect posted:

More importantly the show isn't funny

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Drake no: Brooklyn 99 not following correct, constitutionally mandated evidence gathering protocols and violating a SCOTUS decision on holding a suspect
Drake yes: Raylan Givens ventilating some guy for not leaving town fast enough

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Felix’s voice was really grating this episode. He was shouting the whole time and clipping his audio wtf Chris

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

???

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1502797960572243968?s=20&t=cBk809rQFH72TdO7vKhO3g

matt has to stop loving around with the lathe of heaven and willing these people into existence

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

employed at over all sexy bastard

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I Before E posted:

More importantly the show isn't funny

Amen. I can't imagine thinking brooklyn 99 is funny in a world where Always Sunny existed before it and exists after it. It even had a better cop episode.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/thewayoftheid/status/1502864512873021452?s=21

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One thing about Brooklyn 99 is that it had plotlines related to racism and the police's unaccountability, but it was all talked about in a broad sense. Not a single mention of the characters being part of an organization that spent most of a year bashing skulls and gassing people for hurting their delicate feefees.

Did anyone see the final season of Shameless? There used to be threads for it in TVIV, but there didn't seem to be while it was airing, so I assume not :v: Anyway, Shameless had the same thing. The previous season had Carl, whose entire thing was childish glee at wanton violence and crime, becoming a cop, a Chicago cop no less. The season takes place in 2020 or 2021. People are dealing with COVID, and a woman refers to Biden stealing the election from Trump in the past tense. There are discussions of racial politics, but no mention of the protests or the associated crackdown. Veronica, probably one of the biggest characters outside of the family with the most screentime, is a black woman who doesn't shy from talking about racism, but she never mentions it.

Carl goes through some episodes witnessing all cops being bastards, mostly comedically. The one example not played for laughs is when his first partner, a woman, forces a woman repeatedly caught selling loose cigarettes on a corner to take off her wig and clothes after the latter mouths off. Later, she threatens a kid who robbed a store with a machete, which Carl has to act horrified by despite him doing poo poo like that before. When the kid robs a store again, she chases the him brandishing the machete, only to trip and fall on it (played for laughs). He goes through a bunch of other partners who are All Bastards and the rest is all mostly comedic. At the end he's bumped down to meter maid for giving a parking ticket to a rich person overseeing an eviction, and resolves to use his position to be a dick to rich gentrifiers. Also he's considering buying the bar owned by Kev and Veronica as they move away with his one former partner who was just lazy and make it a cop hangout. Oddly toothless for a show that likes to try to be edgy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1503000151002124289?s=21

Huge L for article heads (also we’re all gonna die)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's pretty hosed up to invade other countries and murder journalists imo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Reporting is just snitching with more steps if you think about it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1503000151002124289?s=21

Huge L for article heads (also we’re all gonna die)

owned

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

evilpicard posted:

It's pretty hosed up to invade other countries and murder journalists imo

I would never do that

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

oof owie ow the edge!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

oof owie ow the edge!!

Yeah that's right. I'm a badass

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/katehascats/status/1503164168039452672

ultimate swag lord

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Our boy is utterly dripless.

Will is probably best dressed current Chapo in a post-Virgil world.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Our boy is utterly dripless.

Will is probably best dressed current Chapo in a post-Virgil world.

Remember when he said he was all about fashion from here on out and spent exactly one week dressing like a Colombian ex-pat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cosmik Slop posted:

Remember when he said he was all about fashion from here on out and spent exactly one week dressing like a Colombian ex-pat

Like the guys who dress exactly like Ryan Gosling in the Driver but for this guy

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love him

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 15, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

deleted

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Honestly, he nailed it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Chapo only got famous because of Bernie” doesn’t make any sense if you think about it for like 30 seconds

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It just doesn’t make sense. I don’t think Chapo has uttered Bernie’s name in months

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Josh Rabies

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Weird to call them performative when they were knocking doors, but also people weren’t literally fetishizing Bernie the way libs do for Zelensky, Cuomo, Beto, Obama, etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god the 2018 election stream was so good. i remember him flopping around like a muppet but i forgot just how muppetlike

https://twitter.com/i/status/1060032757034713088

if anyone doesn't remember, that's a coffee cup of straight rum and the only reason he can make noises is because of mounds of coke off-screen