Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Russians cannot produce a modern tank currently. Their thermal sights were all thales exports AFAIK.

95% same goes for circuitry on any other advanced weapon system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Tomn posted:

One of their other talking points they have is "Ukraine is going to lose because all their war-making industry is either lost or too under threat to produce, meanwhile Russian war-making potential is intact and they can churn out an endless horde of tanks."

Doesn't that require a functioning economy? I.e. that thing that's currently going supernova for the Russians in account of all the sanctions?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Valtonen posted:

Russians cannot produce a modern tank currently. Their thermal sights were all thales exports AFAIK.

95% same goes for circuitry on any other advanced weapon system.

Good luck to anybody making thermal sights without access to Russian copper and aluminum.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Remulak posted:

Good luck to anybody making thermal sights without access to Russian copper and aluminum.

Russia is ~5% of world production of both copper and aluminum. Nickel is also 5%, but they refine about 20% of the higher grade nickels. It'd raise prices, but it's not embargo level of production.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yooper posted:

Russia is ~5% of world production of both copper and aluminum. Nickel is also 5%, but they refine about 20% of the higher grade nickels. It'd raise prices, but it's not embargo level of production.

noooo!!! don't you see!!! they need superior RUSSIAN copper!

ea nasir didn't get russian copper, and look at how he is remembered

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nms: https://twitter.com/dkaleniuk/status/1502748977963356 162 :nms:

You have to add the 162 back. I have no way to verify this but allegedly the Russians chained one of their soldiers to a grenade launcher so they wouldn’t desert…solider froze to death.

So yeah basically traditional Russian morale building.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The major news outlets continue to push the narrative that "the convoy is only 15-18 miles outside Kyiv and has lost assets and materiel but maybe tomorrow's the day they actually finally unfuck themselves and take the city!"

I've seen CNN, FOX, and ABC all say it and, while I'm not saying it'll never happen, it's starting to feel like a ratings grab.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

The major news outlets continue to push the narrative that "the convoy is only 15-18 miles outside Kyiv and has lost assets and materiel but maybe tomorrow's the day they actually finally unfuck themselves and take the city!"

I've seen CNN, FOX, and ABC all say it and, while I'm not saying it'll never happen, it's starting to feel like a ratings grab.

Imma just cross-post this from the D+D thread.

New Study of War assessment just dropped
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1502767739722768396
Article:https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-12

quote:

Russian forces secured limited advances east of Kyiv and north from Crimea on March 12 but continue to face logistical challenges, mounting casualties, and sustained Ukrainian counterattacks. Russian forces did not conduct offensive operations northwest of Kyiv in the past 24 hours. Russian forces made limited advances around Chernihiv and toward Kyiv’s eastern outskirts after pausing for several days. Continued Ukrainian counterattacks and successful operations by Ukraine’s Territorial Defense Forces continue to threaten Russia’s long line of communication in northeastern Ukraine. Russian forces captured unspecified “eastern outskirts” of Mariupol on March 12 and continue to shell the city in a likely effort to force it to capitulate.

Key Takeaways

Russian forces did not conduct offensive operations northwest of Kyiv for the second day in a row.
Russian forces resumed limited attacks toward northeastern Kyiv and renewed efforts to fully encircle Chernihiv.
Ongoing Ukrainian counterattacks in northeastern Ukraine are likely forcing Russia to redeploy forces away from offensive operations toward Kyiv to consolidate its long line of communication.
Russian forces made limited territorial gains in eastern Mariupol and continued to shell the city.
The Ukrainian General Staff reported Russian forces conducted a new advance northeast from Kherson along the western bank of the Dnipro.
The Ukrainian military claimed to have damaged or destroyed 31 Russian battalion tactical groups (BTGs) as of March 11.
The Kremlin likely seeks to deter continuing Western military aid shipments to Ukraine, threatening that Russia will view Western military aid shipments to Ukraine as legitimate military targets on March 12.

[lots of good information about the offensives today goes here]
Immediate items to watch

The Kremlin likely seeks to pressure Belarus to join the war in Ukraine and will deploy Syrian fighters to Ukraine in the near future;
Ukrainian counterattacks and operations by Territorial Defense Forces in northeastern Ukraine threaten Russia’s exposed line of communication, requiring Russia to redeploy forces away from the offensive toward eastern Kyiv;
Russian forces are undertaking another operational pause to prepare for renewed efforts to encircle Kyiv from east and west and/or to seize the city center itself following their failures of March 8-9;
Russian troops may drive on Zaporizhya City itself within the next 48-72 hours, likely to try and block it on both banks of the Dnipro River and set conditions for subsequent operations after Russian forces take Mariupol, which they are currently besieging.
Major takeaway from the full summary - the Russians are losing enough troops that they aren't going to be able to achieve all the objectives they have men committed to right now, even in the south. They either need major reinforcements or need to redeploy in order to make any substantial progress.

Regarding Mariupol - this was likely written prior to the rumors of the Ukrainian counterattack. We probably won't have any concrete information about the status of the siege there until tomorrow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/matt_meeta/status/1502666334127239168?s=21

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In Soviet Russia tank ups you!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So just out of idle curiosity, have there ever been examples of the kind of corruption that is endemic to the Russian military in the US?

I have a hard time picturing anyone, say, siphoning off jet fuel to pay for a yacht, even given the stories of incompetence I've seen relayed here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Navy.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So just out of idle curiosity, have there ever been examples of the kind of corruption that is endemic to the Russian military in the US?

I have a hard time picturing anyone, say, siphoning off jet fuel to pay for a yacht, even given the stories of incompetence I've seen relayed here.

Lockmart.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mlmp08 posted:

The Navy.

Oh Fat Leonard, you lovable scamp.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do privateers count?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

In other ways maybe, like the ACU situation. Instead of "i'm gonna take the money for jet fuel and buy a yacht" it's more "i'm gonna make sure this company gets the contract because they are gonna hook me up with a sweet gig when I retire." Or they get some sort of hook up from the company with the contract.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God I hate former German chancellors of recent memory.

https://twitter.com/johnpaul_newman/status/1502260263621431298?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The Navy.

Yeah. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal

I vaguely recall there was a scandal involving shipbuilding in the 1790s which was more like what we’re seeing here with nonexistent or unequipped ships being paid for? My Google fu keeps bringing up recent stuff like fat Leonard, the Taiwan scandal or a Philippine scandal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Do Germans hold their hands like that when they pray? Like how they start counting with their thumb?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don't bite the hand that poisons people, I guess: https://www.politico.eu/article/gerhard-schroders-office-staff-quit-over-putin-russia-ukraine-war/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wrong Theory posted:

In other ways maybe, like the ACU situation. Instead of "i'm gonna take the money for jet fuel and buy a yacht" it's more "i'm gonna make sure this company gets the contract because they are gonna hook me up with a sweet gig when I retire." Or they get some sort of hook up from the company with the contract.

A lot less outright theft.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
KA-52 had a bad day (no dead bodies). I took this off of Telegram so obviously I can’t verify.

https://i.imgur.com/trCUOWt.mp4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Hey when we have to invade a warehouse full of that one specific couch, you won't be laughing any more.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Nothing like the outright corruption, theft, grifting, etc, that happens in the Russian military happens in the US miltary.

US military corruption just consists of more contractual/political stuff, like millions of dollars being airlifted into Baghdad and oh no whoops where did it go ?

Or paying Halliburton hundreds of millions of dollars to setup a shipping container base in Afghanistan or something.

Equipment theft, stuff like that that Russian commanders do quickly get discovered for the most part and prosecuted.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

The coverage of the convoy has been a media failure from start to finish, being that it was never 40 miles long in the first place and very quickly stopped being the major threat either to Kyiv or to the more important things which are happening in the south and east.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mozi posted:

The coverage of the convoy has been a media failure from start to finish, being that it was never 40 miles long in the first place and very quickly stopped being the major threat either to Kyiv or to the more important things which are happening in the south and east.

Pretty much al major media sucks for war reporting, and its sad that i get better reporting in this thread than say, CNN.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Saint Celestine posted:

Nothing like the outright corruption, theft, grifting, etc, that happens in the Russian military happens in the US miltary.

US military corruption just consists of more contractual/political stuff, like millions of dollars being airlifted into Baghdad and oh no whoops where did it go ?

Or paying Halliburton hundreds of millions of dollars to setup a shipping container base in Afghanistan or something.

Equipment theft, stuff like that that Russian commanders do quickly get discovered for the most part and prosecuted.

Honestly I think the closest two would be the Bradley and the initial bugs with the F-16A/B getting buried until Janet Harduvel brought suit against General Dynamics.

The A-12 Avenger II program was also pretty clearly straight graft and absolute bullshit being spun into whole cloth. If Cheney hadn't axed it it probably would've cost the Navy a few hundred billion dollars and delivered very little of its original program aims. As it stands, there was still litigation about the cancellation until like 2014.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly I think the closest two would be the Bradley and the initial bugs with the F-16A/B getting buried until Janet Harduvel brought suit against General Dynamics.

The A-12 Avenger II program was also pretty clearly straight graft and absolute bullshit being spun into whole cloth. If Cheney hadn't axed it it probably would've cost the Navy a few hundred billion dollars and delivered very little of its original program aims. As it stands, there was still litigation about the cancellation until like 2014.

Sure, but its really hard to prove if the program from the outset was a big huge grift, or simply just over promising and under delivering.

To me, that A-12 program sounds exactly what happened to the VentureStar. Technology just wasn't advanced enough at the time to deliver, and they unfortunately discovered that only after billions of dollars.

At least that sounds better to me than a bunch of Lockmart/mcdonnell executives thinking of ways to grift the government from the outset.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 13, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Cimber posted:

Pretty much al major media sucks for war reporting, and its sad that i get better reporting in this thread than say, CNN.

Speak for yourself, were it not for MSNBC I wouldn't know that Putin is actually worse than Hitler

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Defense contractors who got too greedy get caught occasionally, like the guys who used to run Ibistek, who made kits for Mraps and Hmmwv's, they got busted for putting Chinese parts in their kits and not crediting scrap metal sales back to the DoD.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2017/10/10/brothers-who-owned-defense-firm-face-humvee-fraud-sentencing/

That's one I directly heard from, I had to put Ibistek light bars on a bunch of hummers and the brackets were so flimsy they would vibrate off and launch the light/IR assembly off to the driver or passenger side. It got bad enough another company came out with a fix it kit for another kit.

Now if you want to talk about military surplus sales/DRMO holy poo poo. Something is up there.

I hung out with a bunch of military vehicle collectors and there's some shady stuff up with that hobby.[No one cares about old Vietnam war and earlier stuff, but a lot of more modern stuff is being sold for sale] No one questions where the surplus parts come from, a lot of it is legit but I saw some weird poo poo. Whole tire/wheel assemblies that are supposed to be destroyed due to defects, or bad blocks, bad hub spindles, etc, but they magically wind up on ebay or reseller channels as "new old stock".

Surplus HMMWV's having all of their non-armored doors disappear and sold without doors. Why? The doors alone is another market that can run more than the truck sold for in some cases so someone down the chain is hording them and reselling them later.

I had one guy I know who runs one of those road side "military museums", warehouse full of various stuff from different wars, large collection of surplus vehicles, many operational, etc. Guy said because he was a non-profit or/museum status, he gets DRMO stuff for free or next to nothing for the museum. He's the sole owner of the museum. The loophole there is once he wants to retire, he can sell the museum at a public auction. You know, hold a auction with himself as a buyer for $1 and transfer everything to himself. That felt shady as poo poo.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

KA-52 had a bad day (no dead bodies). I took this off of Telegram so obviously I can’t verify.

https://i.imgur.com/trCUOWt.mp4

In the slightly longer version of this video, the person filming finds one of the pilots still in the cockpit. There's some unburned toes protruding from a bunch of charred remains that are within the frame of this video but unrecognizable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generation Internet posted:

In the slightly longer version of this video, the person filming finds one of the pilots still in the cockpit. There's some unburned toes protruding from a bunch of charred remains that are within the frame of this video but unrecognizable.

Yeah I had to edit the video (60 second limit) to use Imgur and I figured trimming that off wouldn’t be a bad idea.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Helicopters lust for pilot death. MANPADs help helicopters achieve this goal much faster.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cimber posted:

I don't know, I think the media isn't doing too bad, it's just that they're focusing on emotional impact.

Like when I was shopping for a 3D printer, cnet was helpful, but understanding the stepper motor driver chipset required seeking out a unique forum full of huge nerds.

That's what this thread is (for me).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If I recall correctly, part of the strategic justification for the US military budget is being able to fight two large scale expeditionary conflicts simultaneously. Now that Russia is being exposed as a paper tiger, isn't that a reason to cut back on spending? If China is the only potential conventional adversary, gearing up for two enemies that don't exist comes off as a waste of money.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good article by Jack Murphy here

https://twitter.com/JackMurphyRGR/status/1502382285068374023?t=OVKZbk9VArCZOugC77rChg&s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

counter point if the Nazis in my country want a fight I will go let them gladly fight against the other Nazis and maybe learn something about the outside world and cure their ignorance.

Oh poo poo this is how GLADIO happens LMAO

brains
May 12, 2004

total contempt for opinion articles notwithstanding, this does a good job describing why i find the modern trend of war volunteers so disquieting

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I recall correctly, part of the strategic justification for the US military budget is being able to fight two large scale expeditionary conflicts simultaneously. Now that Russia is being exposed as a paper tiger, isn't that a reason to cut back on spending? If China is the only potential conventional adversary, gearing up for two enemies that don't exist comes off as a waste of money.

With Europe increasing their military spending we never know who we might have to take on next :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This site isn't available in the EU :(

Can somebody post the cliff notes?