Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Pookah posted:

Fix giving birth so that it's easy and painless you fucks!

Don't epidurals make it painless? (Real question, not a uterus haver or parent.)

On the other hand, there's already a movement around the benefits of "natural childbirth" without painkillers or modern medicine so any sort of "robot uterus" that meant people could have children without badly straining their bodies would flip these people into overdrive.

I can already see the badly worded signs talking about how the "soulless" don't get the rights in the Magna Carta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

B-Rock452 posted:

Using the power of hypnosis to give birth without meds. There actually was a lot of really good info from the class and it changed my views on childbirth/pregnancy. Wife didn't use any of it but still was a good class

Oh, so the thing that the guy who put peppers on his dick came up with! (*he clearly didn't come up with it, he just thought every drat idea he had was super original and innovative)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for dropping my sisters kids off at a daycare, and making her pay for it?

quote:

My (19F) sister (25F) asked me to babysit for her (kids are 4&6) so she could go a friends party. I told her I can't do that day, I had an exam so I had to be at college. (I can follow some classes online, and have occasionally babysat while listening to lectures).

The day for which she needed a babysitter came. I answered the door in the morning and the freaking kids were on my doorstep and my sister was driving off. She just left them with me after I said I couldn't stay home that day!

I called a friend that owns a small daycare, she told me I could drop them off there. Thank god. I gave her my sisters contact info to her and told me to keep me updated, and I texted my sister about what happened and gave her the address and the phone number.

I picked the kids up from daycare since my sister wasn't answering her phone, and fed them. She picked them up at 9ish pm and was absolutely livid that I left them with a stranger, that it was irresponsible, that something could have happened, etc. I told her that she knew I couldn't babysit that day, and that she could have picked them up if she wasn't comfortable with that since I texted the address. She told me I should have just skipped the exam to retake it later.

I thought this was a reasonable thing to do, when someone leaves kids on your doorstep without warning and you can't take care of them, but my parents are on her side. My mom told me my sister already has so much on her plate, and that I should help out when I can. I guess babysitting at least one day a week for free isn't good enough.

AITA?

This one works well if you imagine running footsteps and tire screeching sound effects just before she opens the door

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Astounding how many people think "gently caress it, I'll just do it anyway" is a good strategy when it comes to other people's boundaries.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pondex posted:

Astounding how many people think "gently caress it, I'll just do it anyway" is a good strategy when it comes to other people's boundaries.

well why not; if they're doormats you can just go a-stompin'

it doesn't occur to you or me 'cuz we're not assholes. i got bad news about assholes, tho

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Foo Diddley posted:

well why not; if they're doormats you can just go a-stompin'

it doesn't occur to you or me 'cuz we're not assholes. i got bad news about assholes, tho

You're right. It probably works beautifully in the right context.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for dropping my sisters kids off at a daycare, and making her pay for it?

This one works well if you imagine running footsteps and tire screeching sound effects just before she opens the door

OP posted:

Edit: She and her friends went to an escape room or something, it wasn't a regular party. My parents weren't home that day to babysit. And you can retake exams here, but it's a hassle and it means that if I fail I can't retake it. Just to clear some things up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I missed that. The true escape room is your apartment, with my children!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Party Ape posted:

On the other hand, there's already a movement around the benefits of "natural childbirth" without painkillers or modern medicine

There's some legit criticisms of how modern healthcare tries to time the delivery. In particular, some hospitals are insanely focused on fast turnaround, and will push to induce when mothers are otherwise waiting on their normal labor process to play out. Another pretty blistering indictment of medicine not aligning with our best understanding is that mortality rates in the US are way higher than those of countries with comparable standard of living.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

kimbo305 posted:

That’s nobody’s business but the Turks’.
And capitalism’s.

Let this ironic racism go.

my wife is from Mexico and refers to it as that, I loving kid you not

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
From reading this thread it’s become apparent that not only do I not berate people enough but I don’t get friends and family to do it on my behalf enough either.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for telling my sister to stop describing things to her blind boyfriend during a family movie night?

quote:

My little sister (20F) has been dating this guy (22M) for a little over a year now. He became completely blind at the age of 16 after a car accident. He's pretty well adjusted to his new way of living by now.

Yesterday night, we had a family get together at our parents' house. Had dinner, played some board games, chatted, things like that. Watching a movie was also on the checklist. We play the movie. Immediately after it started my sister started describing things to her boyfriend: how the people and environment looked, etc. It annoyed me (26F) 'cause even tho they were whispering I could still hear them and it disturbed my immersion. I kept quiet for a while but I ended up telling them to please be quiet 'cause other people like quietness during a movie. They shut up but after the movie ended my sister pulled me aside and started calling me names, telling me how that was super rude and ableist, that she never thought I'd act like this, etc. I told her that I am in no way ableist but it's annoying to hear constant noise during a movie and this would apply to everyone. She said she won't talked to me anymore until I apologize to her and her boyfriend. I would but I don't understand what I did wrong, I believe that when you're hanging out with others you should be courteous and fit in with the people there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for telling my sister to stop describing things to her blind boyfriend during a family movie night?

Goddamn, watch movies alone, you loving selfish child. I wonder how awkwardly silent their family movie nights usually are.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Fuuuuuck
Themmmm

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would argue that the arsehole move is inviting a blind guy to a "movie night".

Lets do a thing that not only he can't enjoy, but then actively exclude him by shushing his girlfriend who is trying to be helpful.

Bloody blindos*, can't take them anywhere.

*I don't know any good slurs for blind people. So if you know of better, please let me know.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pack it in, blind folks, no movies for you. That's just how it is

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Most movies actually have "captions" for the blind where someone describes what's going on. Probably should have just turned those on.

E: or even better, if the boyfriend could just put on headphones with the description track.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm really quite all right not being on the cutting edge of slur technology. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah this family night thing doesn’t seem very well thought out. They just started the movie and hoped for the best

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm really quite all right not being on the cutting edge of slur technology. :shrug:

You need to stay on top of it as a "know your enemy" type of thing, so you can identify shitheads. Like how dudes on Patriots.win use "jogger" as code/slur for black people (because of Ahmaud Arbery). You hear someone trying to be clever by using that word and you just instantly know they're wastes of space.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

loving big childbirth making all that money from birth being painful.

...:confused:

The options are drugs or inventing a uterus-tank and good luck with the second option.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for being taller than my friend during his wedding?

quote:

So I’m a tall guy and most of my friends are also not tall guys excluding one. My tallest friend is 6’1. I’m the next tallest at 5’11

My friend always jokes us about being shorter than him and calls us little and manlet and other dumb things that over the years I’ve been able to take as a joke. I guess his height is really important to him and it makes him feel special to be taller than average.

So I was groomsman for his wedding and most of our friend group also were. We gathered together and decided to do something we thought was funny since he is so height obsessed.

We got insoles that are supposed to add a few inches of height, and we all wore them during the wedding. I wore 3 inches and it brought me up to a confident 6’2. Surprisingly he didn’t really notice. I’m thinking that maybe with the stress of the wedding he just didn’t have the capacity to notice it and he never called us out on it, until recently.

So he got his pictures back yesterday and in everyone one, he’s not the tallest one. Yours truly is.

To him this was a huge loving deal. He was livid. He said that we did this to make him look less like a man on his wedding day and we betrayed him. We told him it was just a joke and it really wasn’t that big of a deal. He said we made him look bad at one of the best days of his life and he will never forgive us.

So now we aren’t on speaking terms. I think he’s being ridiculous. No one cares that I was an inch taller than him and the rest of our friends were bigger.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Found a solution for this guy, just show up multiple inches taller next time :eng101:

AITA for not wanting to take family photos with my much taller family?

quote:

To start with, I'm[17M] 5'7, my older twin brothers[18M] are 6'1 and 6'2, my dad is 6'1, my mom is 5'6, and my younger sister[15F] is 5'8. My younger sister's 15th birthday party was three days ago, and usually at special occasions like this, as a family we take a photo of all of us together, arms around each other while standing up.

My mom and sister typically wear heels(which is weird on my sister's part, isn't she a bit young to start wearing heels? idk) to fancy occasions, so I look far and above the shortest out of my family in a photo, and I feel very short next to my family when I take them. Also, my family has never mentioned my height in any aspect whatsoever, which is cool of them, so it's not like they are the ones who are causing me to dislike my height(although I only dislike my height when I'm with my family, other than that my height's fine).

At my sister's birthday party, I told my parents that I didn't want to take a family photo with them, and when they asked why, I just told them the truth. They told me I was being ridiculous and told me to take the photo. I kept refusing so they gave up and took the photo without me, but when we came home my mom yelled at me for "not wanting to be seen as part of the family". For some reason my younger sister is also upset at me, but I have no clue why.

Maybe I am insecure about my height, but if it’s not affecting anybody else or causing any harm, am I even the rear end in a top hat?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

Found a solution for this guy, just show up multiple inches taller next time :eng101:

The only person in my immediate family who's shorter than me is my Mom, who cares you baby? I'm the oldest sibling, too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I genuinely do not understand short guy insecurity. Like, I get how insecurity works and how people might have gotten poo poo on for their height and why it'd be uncomfortable were someone to address it, but there's so many stories of dudes who take personal offense at people around them having faces slightly further from or closer to the ground, and it is baffling to me. Standing upright is not an attack on you, my dude, and if you ever entertain the thought that it could be, you've got some severe reevaluating to do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batterypowered7 posted:

You need to stay on top of it as a "know your enemy" type of thing, so you can identify shitheads. Like how dudes on Patriots.win use "jogger" as code/slur for black people (because of Ahmaud Arbery). You hear someone trying to be clever by using that word and you just instantly know they're wastes of space.

Eh, I've found it's not difficult to tell if someone's using a word as a slur. They always think they're sneakier than they are.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's with these short people talking about how tall they are?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

loving big childbirth making all that money from birth being painful.

...:confused:

The options are drugs or inventing a uterus-tank and good luck with the second option.

Wasn't there literally a story here of some random guy desperately trying to build an artificial womb in his garage

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most movies actually have "captions" for the blind where someone describes what's going on. Probably should have just turned those on.

E: or even better, if the boyfriend could just put on headphones with the description track.

Recent blu-ray and 4k discs all have this track, but I don't know of any way someone could listen to a separate track on a separate audio out at the same time. Maybe some super high end player could do that. If they were just streaming, no way.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I genuinely do not understand short guy insecurity.

Honestly, the only time I think about my height is when I can't reach something. Short legs and short arms kinda suck for that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

WIBTA if I refuse to follow the new house rules that my boyfriend’s flatmate decided on?

quote:

This is not a legal question or anything, I just want to know if I will be the rear end in a top hat, morally speaking.

I used to live with my boyfriend until last year when I moved away for university. He’s kept the place since then and the plan is for me to move back in next year. Until he lost his job, he had no problem paying for the apartment by himself, but because money is a lot tighter now, he had to get a flatmate. So far, so good.

The new flatmate, let’s call him Mark, moved in last week and there are issues. He has made a list of house rules - specifically for me - because he apparently doesn’t like living with a person who has a girlfriend. He’s been friends with my boyfriend for about a year, and he knew I’d be there every other weekend or so, so me actually spending time at their place should not come as a surprise.

I’m supposed to stay in the living room at all times, no using the bathroom, no cooking, no bringing food/groceries over as he’s vegan and it would be incredibly disrespectful in his own home, no staying the night, no bringing our dog as he is against pets .. and so on. He says he doesn’t like me walking around as if I live there, and that I should act as a guest and therefore limit my presence to the living room and leave in the evening, and I’m under no circumstances allowed to be there without my boyfriend present.

My boyfriend has told him his expectations are ridiculous, and that I indeed used to live there and will live there again come next year, so it’s total bs to expect me to act like a guest. He has also been firm about our dog. So he doesn’t support Mark’s new rules obviously. However, he has asked me to at least try and be mindful of Mark for the sake of peace.

I am not really willing to do that. My boyfriend is the one renting the apartment and sublets a room to Mark. I don’t see any good reason why I wouldn’t be allowed to cook there with my boyfriend for example or bring groceries since it’s ok with my boyfriend. However, I’m not too familiar with flatmate etiquette, and I’m wondering if I will be the rear end in a top hat if I choose to ignore the new rules.

Because I don’t like Mark a whole lot right now, and I’m kinda salty about the whole flatmate situation anyway, I’m not sure I’m making a good call here.

WIBTA or not?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I genuinely do not understand short guy insecurity. Like, I get how insecurity works and how people might have gotten poo poo on for their height and why it'd be uncomfortable were someone to address it, but there's so many stories of dudes who take personal offense at people around them having faces slightly further from or closer to the ground, and it is baffling to me. Standing upright is not an attack on you, my dude, and if you ever entertain the thought that it could be, you've got some severe reevaluating to do.

It's because a lot of people will treat you differently or dismiss you because of it. Unfortunately, the only cure is self-confidence.

Good loving luck telling that to anyone else with any other disease.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, genuinely short guys have it rough. A shocking amount of women refuse to date anyone shorter than them, and many dudes will relentlessly mock them for being short.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain Hygiene posted:

For some reason my younger sister is also upset at me, but I have no clue why.

Maybe I am insecure about my height, but if it’s not affecting anybody else or causing any harm, am I even the rear end in a top hat?

How can you write those two sentences right next to each other and not work it out?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm no expert on childbirth, but the horror stories keep reminding me of how indigenous Peruvian women give birth vertically, which is apparently a lot safer.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mx. posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to follow the new house rules that my boyfriend’s flatmate decided on?
Not allowing a guest to use the bathroom? The ancient Greeks would have written epic poetry about being that bad a host.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm no expert on childbirth, but the horror stories keep reminding me of how indigenous Peruvian women give birth vertically, which is apparently a lot safer.

The horizontal position is best for the assistants, not for the mother. Upright or partially recumbent positions are usually safer and easier. This article's pretty good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Keromaru5 posted:

Squatting is more natural and in a lot of ways is better than laying for the mother. It’s harder for the doctor though, and I suppose you couldn’t use an epidural standing up.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are they using Napoleonic inches here or something? I guess it depends on where you live but I don't think of a 6'1" guy as tall enough for it to be striking and noticeable. Lots of guys out there tower over that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bonster posted:

The horizontal position is best for the assistants, not for the mother. Upright or partially recumbent positions are usually safer and easier. This article's pretty good.

Unsurprisingly, this is recurring theme with a lot of child birthing practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Batterypowered7 posted:

This one time, googling yields no slurs specifically for the blind. Like any group of disabled people, they're definitely discriminated against, and I'm sure roving gangs of chuds beat up blind people all the time, but whatever slurs they yell are probably just ones against the disabled in general versus specific ones geared toward blindness.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just as boomerbrain can affect people of younger calendar ages, being a manlet is a state of mind uncoupled from your actual height, which is why it's ok to make fun of them.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Like this loving loser here, fabricating problems from the ether. He explicitly says no one gives him any grief over it but still feels like creating trouble.

GrandmaParty posted:

It's because a lot of people will treat you differently or dismiss you because of it. Unfortunately, the only cure is self-confidence.

Good loving luck telling that to anyone else with any other disease.

Are you seriously comparing not being 6'0" to a disease. Do you really not understand why doing things like this is worthy of scorn and mockery? This is why people dislike manlets, not their height.

WIBTA if I put food coloring in my girlfriends shampoo?

quote:

Its getting to be that time of year again and I'm starting to plan out how I'm gonna celebrate April Fools day this year.

I've been brainstorming pranks and thought that for my girlfriend I should do something that involves her hair. She spends sooo much time messing with it and its starting to get annoying, so I'm hoping that my prank will get her to lighten up about it. Now I don't want to do any permanent damage cause I still love her and everything, so after watching some stuff and googling a bit, I decided on putting food coloring in her shampoo. She's blond so I decided blue would be nice.

Cause we do a lot of our pranks together, I ran my ideas by Alex and Mikey. Alex said it would be funny but not to do it cause he says her hair was a part of her job and messing with it would make me an rear end in a top hat. Mikey says I should totally do it and even if she gets mad she can post the dyed hair on her instagram for publicity.

I'm leaning towards doing it, but at the same time I'm not sure I totally trust Mikey with this cause I know he's got a thing for me and has always been jealous of my girlfriend.

So, I decided to come here to ask if doing the prank would make me an rear end in a top hat cause I felt I needed more opinions.

I can't wait for the inevitable glut of "it was just a prank bro" posts in about 2 weeks.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 13, 2022